Any word on any new big synths?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
scratchnsnifff

11 Oct 2018

So the platform has been rather quiet as of lately. I assume it’s because even developers like to play with the new updates offered by propellerhead with 10.1 and now 10.2

But I’d be interested to know if there are any super advanced synths or creative effects in the making.

Something with the advance settings of expanse or something that just offers a new form of synthesis to reason

Reason still does not have all the forms of synthesis inside it’s stock arsenal
For example. Resynthisis is the big one. As well as something at least with the settings of the Casio cz1000 and it’s phase distortion (Europa comes to mind with its one phase distort mode, but I’m thinking along the lines of serums remap mode number 1 that would be ideal)

Also there are some crazy forms of synthesis that are almost like hybrid forms sort of seen in rob papens quad (I’d like to see a version of quad with user single cycle waveforms)

But at the end of the day I’ll take what ever comes my way. I’d like to hear if anyone has any guesses as to what might Come out in the next coming months
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

moneykube

11 Oct 2018

coming soon...
Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 9.00.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 9.00.47 AM.png (411.55 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Loque

11 Oct 2018

I cross my fingers for eXpanse getting a wave editor update, more filters and types, more modifiers (maybe offline too), BIGGGER mod matrix, phase for the LFOs, ...

And i cross my fingers for an update for Zero, getting bigger mod matrix, smoother waves, more mod sources/destinations, audio in through filter/fx.

I cross my fingers for Vk-2 gettting a bit pumped with mod matrix, a bit more control over LFOs, maybe more and more envelopes per voice.

I cross my fingers for JPS Harmonic, which really needs a bit feature boost here and there...

I cross my fingers for Torsion getting an ADSR for the gate and let me play poly.

I cross my fingers for Nostromo with sample loading...dude...

Ok, my fingers are now crisscrossed.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

11 Oct 2018

Few months ago someone was teasing screenshots for Colossus - very colorful, big synth with a lot of knobs / sliders?

Also I saw Saw-1 Discovery teased by Reasontalk FB profile:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
11 Oct 2018
Few months ago someone was teasing screenshots for Colossus - very colorful, big synth with a lot of knobs / sliders?
I think the Colossus was supposed to be released by Softphonics right? After the mess they were in a couple of months ago it's very unlikely that project will see the light of day.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

Honestly I'm pretty content with what I have already. I feel like my interest to always look for the next thing is slowing down.

Having said that, I might still buy some new REs if something looks interesting enough, but I'd much rather go for smaller niched REs than BIG synths with endless options. I've got way to much unexplored REs (both instruments and FX) already. After a while it actually gets harder to make music because there's too much stuff to choose from and I find myself to shy away from the big synths like Expanse because of that.
I'm almost ashamed to admit it but I still haven't made any music with neither Grain nor Europa and I upgraded to R10 when it first was released.

rcbuse
RE Developer

11 Oct 2018

I don't know about other devs, but personally I'm moving towards weird players and oddball synths and effects. I would think that the 'big synth' market is at a saturation point and people are looking for smaller things with more character.

student9v

11 Oct 2018

Last edited by student9v on 09 Dec 2020, edited 2 times in total.

16BitBear

11 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
    11 Oct 2018

Now I would love to get that Saw 1 and Multi-Saw 2 rack. Those look fantastic and right up my alley. :thumbs_up:

TritoneAddiction
    Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

rcbuse wrote:
    11 Oct 2018
    I don't know about other devs, but personally I'm moving towards weird players and oddball synths and effects. I would think that the 'big synth' market is at a saturation point and people are looking for smaller things with more character.
    Yes I think that's the way to go.

The last thing I'm looking for is a synth that tries cover as much as possible. I'd much rather have something that focuses on doing one particular thing. Nothing wrong with a one trick pony imo.

I gotta say your REs are great because there is something for different types of users. There is something for the geek that wants to learn about all the technicalities about the device and go really deep, but there's also something for the dummy like me who just want to press the randomize button and get something cool fast without going through any hastle.

Breach The Sky

11 Oct 2018

Things like the Noise Engineering stuff is what I want from the RE platform these days. If I want a "super synth" I'll go looking in VST land.

QVprod

11 Oct 2018

Does it have to be a RE? With Serum and Expanse in the shop I don’t see someone developing that kind of synth.

EdGrip

11 Oct 2018

I think unless someone decides to go in an uncharted direction, updates to existing Big Synth REs are likely the most you can hope for. When you've already got one eXpanse in addition to your stock Europa, you don't need another one.
    I get the feeling that REs will push in more modular/Eurorack-esque directions from here on, now that the bread-and-butter stuff is so well covered both in RE devices and now VST devices too. RX950 springs to mind - there was a gap in the market there, it was executed well, it's a simple device and I reckon loads of people bought it.

...which just means that any new synths that DO turn up, will be a pleasant surprise! :D

fieldframe
    RE Developer

11 Oct 2018

Breach The Sky wrote:
    11 Oct 2018
    Things like the Noise Engineering stuff is what I want from the RE platform these days. If I want a "super synth" I'll go looking in VST land.
    Agreed, the Noise Engineering synths were the most interesting thing to happen in the shop in a good while. When it comes to powerful synthesis, I already have more than I need - I’ll take quirky over powerful any day.

MannequinRaces

11 Oct 2018

Agree with others that the main bases are covered. Bring on the niche synths and effects. The weirder the better.

Faastwalker

11 Oct 2018

rcbuse wrote:
    11 Oct 2018
    Sounds like the way forward to me ;) I've never liked overly complicated or crowded soft synths. They are not much fun to use with a mouse. Too fiddly. The ones I've tried end up being preset machines that I can tweak a bit. Not for me. That Colossus thing synth posted earlier in the thread looks insane. Way too much going on. I definitely like the idea of more sensible, focused & interesting devices over mega synths with stacks of oscillators, envelopes, LFO's, FX etc, etc. They've never made much sense to me, in Reason especially.

xylyx

12 Oct 2018

rcbuse wrote:
    11 Oct 2018
    This is where I am looking most now, I have more synths than I know what to do with at the moment, so Player devices are definitely an area where I think there is scope to do some new and interesting things.
    I have more synths than I know what to do with at the moment
    That being said, I would still like to buy the Noise Engineering synths at some point...and Nostromo...and maybe Quad :oops:

selig
    RE Developer

12 Oct 2018

DJBuddhaBear wrote:
    antic604 wrote:
    11 Oct 2018

Now I would love to get that Saw 1 and Multi-Saw 2 rack. Those look fantastic and right up my alley. :thumbs_up:
    I WOULD say it’s a very interesting new synth and I’m using it exclusively for a new song right now. But that would be precipitously close to breaking the NDA, so I’ll shut up - mum’s the word. ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
    Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

12 Oct 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
    11 Oct 2018
    Reason still does not have all the forms of synthesis inside it’s stock arsenal For example. Resynthisis is the big one.
    Oberon can do this, so can Spectra, so I'm not sure we need this in stock devices...

selig
    RE Developer

12 Oct 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:
    11 Oct 2018
    rcbuse wrote:
    11 Oct 2018
    Yes I think that's the way to go.

The last thing I'm looking for is a synth that tries cover as much as possible. I'd much rather have something that focuses on doing one particular thing. Nothing wrong with a one trick pony imo.
    That's one thing I really love about Reaktor, even the user synths that are good for only one thing have a place in my synthesizer "quiver".

IMO, all devices, physical or software, that can do (at least) ONE thing no other device can do, have a place of honor in my world!
    Selig Audio, LLC

scratchnsnifff

12 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
    11 Oct 2018
    I cross my fingers for eXpanse getting a wave editor update, more filters and types, more modifiers (maybe offline too), BIGGGER mod matrix, phase for the LFOs, ...

And i cross my fingers for an update for Zero, getting bigger mod matrix, smoother waves, more mod sources/destinations, audio in through filter/fx.

I cross my fingers for Vk-2 gettting a bit pumped with mod matrix, a bit more control over LFOs, maybe more and more envelopes per voice.

I cross my fingers for JPS Harmonic, which really needs a bit feature boost here and there...

I cross my fingers for Torsion getting an ADSR for the gate and let me play poly.

Email. Blamsoft! I love that idea. Expanse could use a update to its filters. By adding some hybrid filters or by adding effect filters :)
    I emailed them about adding a partial modifier on zero. A knob that could have a select number of partials selected. And the knob slightly alters all the selected partials. A way of wave morphing in real time. Phase could be another option

The idea would be to make a random gain modifier but one that truely selects random partials and truely randomly alters the gain within a scaled amount ( so your partials aren’t drastically being altered in amplitude)

But I agree. Please hit them up, if there is enough interest im sure they would at least consider it.

I feel like since they made that vst that they haven’t even thought of the Reason platform. They made modular stuff for VCv and a vst etc, I wish they made the oscillator for vcv, but for the Re platform in their poly modular system

We miss you blamsoft! 👍👍👍👍

scratchnsnifff

12 Oct 2018

rcbuse wrote:
    11 Oct 2018
    True. That does seem to be the latest trend.

I feel like the props made a slight error when releasing the Re platform. They tried to get way too many big names while the platform was infant.
    If they had waited until now, and if the sdk had all the stuff as of now, it would be a different story.

I just feel like even with the number of synths in the shop, there are a lot of similar forms of synthesis. Each has their own workflow and cool tricks. But the latest sdk changes and even the one before added some game changing features

I just think it would be nice to see those changes implemented but in a big way :)

scratchnsnifff

12 Oct 2018

QVprod wrote:
    11 Oct 2018
    Does it have to be a RE? With Serum and Expanse in the shop I don’t see someone developing that kind of synth.
    Well in my opinion I use Re for 90% of my tasks
    Too many differences in how vsts feel for myself
    Sure many synths try to cover everything but I mainly mean that the platform could use some synths that make use of the new features.
    The ability for actual in depth editing and control is here. Look at how much expanse can do. It’s beautiful to see the complexity and what can be done inside of expanse. I just feel like there is still plenty of room for wow factor. A lot of synths in the shop go for VA FM snd wave table synthesis, there aren’t any samplers, resynthisis(besides spectra) devices, or synths with multiple phase distortion options. So far expanse hit the nail on the head as far as in depth editing goes. But I just feel like that should have been the beginning of something bigger :) I guess it will just take more time for other developers to see the appeal. From what I’ve heard it’s expensive and it’s less likely to see a large return in the Re environment. But that is all subject to change depending on how well a product is crafted

sdst
    Competition Winner

12 Oct 2018

only the subtractor 2 would be interested to me. there is a lot of synth

Loque

12 Oct 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
    12 Oct 2018
    Loque wrote:
    11 Oct 2018

Email. Blamsoft! I love that idea. Expanse could use a update to its filters. By adding some hybrid filters or by adding effect filters :)
    I emailed them about adding a partial modifier on zero. A knob that could have a select number of partials selected. And the knob slightly alters all the selected partials. A way of wave morphing in real time. Phase could be another option

The idea would be to make a random gain modifier but one that truely selects random partials and truely randomly alters the gain within a scaled amount ( so your partials aren’t drastically being altered in amplitude)

But I agree. Please hit them up, if there is enough interest im sure they would at least consider it.

I feel like since they made that vst that they haven’t even thought of the Reason platform. They made modular stuff for VCv and a vst etc, I wish they made the oscillator for vcv, but for the Re platform in their poly modular system

We miss you blamsoft! 👍👍👍👍
    Thanks for the reply, but naaa...i think i already tried. AFAIR i also suggested a ADSR for the partials, nothing fancy, just a simple one editable in the display or like Parsec with AD. Since i learned in Spectra what unique sounds you can create with a a bit control of the ADSR of the partials. This here would be defently enough (even if i whish that Parsec would let me have a bit more control, but i pretty gave up on things like that on Propellerheads):
    ad.jpg
    ad.jpg (10.18 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
    Reason12, Win10

• Information