Need to search for sounds every time

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

Hej. Probably been asked before but...I've got a combinator in a refill which needs sounds from another refill to open. So I open the combinator and Reason says it needs to find the sounds. I do a search and find the sounds in another folder all well and good. I save the song. Then when I close Reason, to start on a new song, and load up the same combinator I need to search for the files again. What do I do to make the combinator redirect to the sounds folder every time? Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

11 Oct 2018

Did you update the combinator patch?

Loque

11 Oct 2018

I did not understood that logic till now. I tend to save a song instead of a patch if it contains a samples. Very annoying.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Oct 2018
How’d you mean? It’s a combinator which uses sounds from Reason Pianos. I need to direct the combinator to the Reason Pianos folder very time I open it.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Magnus

11 Oct 2018

Contrary to what Propellerhead and other users advise, I always store all my ReFills inside the main Reason folder (but not in subfolders). It seems to be the only way to guarantee that Reason always knows where those ReFills are!

Anybody else got a better suggestion?

selig
RE Developer

11 Oct 2018

MrFigg wrote:
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Oct 2018
How’d you mean? It’s a combinator which uses sounds from Reason Pianos. I need to direct the combinator to the Reason Pianos folder very time I open it.
After you locate the sounds, SAVE the Combinator patch on it’s own so it can be reloaded on it’s own (in a new song) without having to point to the samples again.

As for where to save, I often have more than one version of Reason on my drive for testing, so I cannot put my ReFills in the Reason folder because there’s more than one. I’ve not had issues with finding ReFills because I put them all in one place and leave them there. :)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
11 Oct 2018
MrFigg wrote:
After you locate the sounds, SAVE the Combinator patch on it’s own so it can be reloaded on it’s own (in a new song) without having to point to the samples again.

As for where to save, I often have more than one version of Reason on my drive for testing, so I cannot put my ReFills in the Reason folder because there’s more than one. I’ve not had issues with finding ReFills because I put them all in one place and leave them there. :)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Thanks. But that’s the thing. The refill has around 40 patches which all use Reason Pianos so it’s a pest if I open up the song and decide I want to change the patch. Need to do a search again. Only takes a minute but it’s annoying. Oh well.

Also...I’ve got all my refills in one place so don’t understand why Reason doesn’t “remember” where the sounds are.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heigen5

11 Oct 2018

Reason shoudln't need any other Refills to find Radical Piano patches as Radical Piano is containing the content in the device itself and also is a patch capable device. Just like Malström doesn't need either?

moneykube

11 Oct 2018

does it do this?
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

Heigen5 wrote:
11 Oct 2018
Reason shoudln't need any other Refills to find Radical Piano patches as Radical Piano is containing the content in the device itself and also is a patch capable device. Just like Malström doesn't need either?
Not Radical Piano. Reason Pianos refill.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/reason-pianos/
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heigen5

11 Oct 2018

MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2018
Heigen5 wrote:
11 Oct 2018
Oops sorry, but if you draw Reason Pianos into the browser, is it it still asking it?
Another thing would be making short-cut by right clicking on this Refill and creating a short-cut and then placing the shortcut in the Reason main folder. Might not work.
Last edited by Heigen5 on 11 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

Heigen5 wrote:
11 Oct 2018
MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2018

Oops sorry, but if you draw Reason Pianos into the browser, is it it still asking it?
Another thing would be making short-cut by right clicking on this Refill and placing the shortcut in the Reason main folder. Might not work.
Yes. I need to navigate to the folder containing Reason Pianos every time I open a new song and try to use the combinator.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heigen5

11 Oct 2018

MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2018
Heigen5 wrote:
11 Oct 2018

Another thing would be making short-cut by right clicking on this Refill and placing the shortcut in the Reason main folder. Might not work.
Yes. I need to navigate to the folder containing Reason Pianos every time I open a new song and try to use the combinator.
Where's you Reason Piano right now on your HD?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

Heigen5 wrote:
11 Oct 2018
MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2018

All of my refills are contained in the same folder on my C:Drive.
They are in a separate folder and NOT in the Reason folder.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heigen5

11 Oct 2018

MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2018
Heigen5 wrote:
11 Oct 2018

Did you try out both of these methods, i.e. drawing these refills into a Reason's soundbrowser list or creating a shortcuts of these refills and putting them where the Factory Soundbank & Orchester Refill is?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

Heigen5 wrote:
11 Oct 2018
MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2018

Did you try out both of these methods, i.e. drawing these refills into a Reason's soundbrowser list or creating a shortcuts of these refills and putting them where the Factory Soundbank & Orchester Refill is?
Absolutely yes :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heigen5

11 Oct 2018

MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2018
Heigen5 wrote:
11 Oct 2018

Absolutely yes :)
I'm not sure this is the case but maybe this refill needs to be exactly in the same directory, as the creator had it too then. But in my opinion this is kind of a bug by Propellerheads then - it sure should find these refills after they have been put into the soundbrowser.

selig
RE Developer

11 Oct 2018

MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2018

Thanks. But that’s the thing. The refill has around 40 patches which all use Reason Pianos so it’s a pest if I open up the song and decide I want to change the patch. Need to do a search again. Only takes a minute but it’s annoying. Oh well.

Also...I’ve got all my refills in one place so don’t understand why Reason doesn’t “remember” where the sounds are.
I don't understand - if you save the Combinator after locating the samples, then open it again, you should not be asked again to locate the samples.

You didn't mention whether or not you did what I suggested - did you? And it still doesn't work?
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
11 Oct 2018
MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2018

I don't understand - if you save the Combinator after locating the samples, then open it again, you should not be asked again to locate the samples.

You didn't mention whether or not you did what I suggested - did you? And it still doesn't work?
Absolutely. If I save the song after I’ve located the sounds in the Reason Pianos folder then it opens fine after that. The thing is that the refill I’m using has about 40 different combinators all using different sounds from Reason Pianos. So I need to do a search for every combinator I open.

They’re not my own combinators. They’re in a refill.

Sorry if I’m just not understanding something.
Last edited by MrFigg on 11 Oct 2018, edited 2 times in total.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heigen5

11 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
11 Oct 2018
MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2018

I'm pretty sure it works after doing what you told, but an another case is it's kind of a bug if you need to do it like that, cheers!

Heigen5

11 Oct 2018

Did you manually locate the Refill for one of it's patches and then save the patch, creating a new project and trying to load the patch again? I mean don't save it without locating it first!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

Heigen5 wrote:
11 Oct 2018
Did you manually locate the Refill for one of it's patches and then save the patch, creating a new project and trying to load the patch again? I mean don't save it without locating it first!
Ha ha. Of course :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

...actually I’ve got an idea. Collecting the kids just now but I’ll try it out when I get them to bed and get back to yz :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heigen5

11 Oct 2018

MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2018
Heigen5 wrote:
11 Oct 2018
Ha ha. Of course :)
Ok, bro, - I hope the Props read this, as this sounds like a bug. Actually this should be reported like a bug to the Propellerheads. At least it doesn't make sense as I have Refills that link to the Factory Soundbank and no problems there..

Heigen5

11 Oct 2018

Also there might be one thing, that causes it and Props are not guilty, i.e. the refill is not the same as the original one he/she did. There might be the refill's name changed or something like that.

• Information