I sure would pay for a Dual Arp player refill

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
jayhosking

07 Oct 2018

See subject line. I love the end result of using the Dual Arp player, and tinkering with existing patches, but building a patch from scratch with the Dual Arp is a real chore, a trial-and-error process, and a creativity killer. It looks pretty but the UI isn't very much fun for entering sequences/rhythms.

I know there are giant refills of randomized values in Dual Arp, and they're fun to explore, but I sure would appreciate a curated collection of deliberate and musical patches for the Dual Arp player. Maybe you find the player's UI more fun to work with, or maybe you're simply much better than me at making patches. If you are making these aplenty, I'd be happy to buy it from you!

FLVZ

07 Oct 2018

I agree, this and scales and chords refills. These would be worthwhile investments!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

07 Oct 2018

Funny I was thinking the same yesterday. Can we start a community refill?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

DonnieAlan

10 Oct 2018

I'd consider it...but only IF (and its a big IF)...the P-heads also do a MIDI implementation enhancement that would provide MIDI IN/OUT ports on the back of the player so you could route the player however you wished. You could have Part 1 going to one VI and Part 2 another. Think of the possibilities that might provide. I've been saying for months that the next major Reason upgrade needs to include significant MIDI implementation enhancements, including the ability to route MIDI much we can Audio on the back of the rack, with virtual cables and all that.

Such an improvement would make the idea of more refills for the Dual Arp player even more enticing.

jayhosking

10 Oct 2018

Boombastix wrote:
07 Oct 2018

Maybe this is the right way to go? I can see myself making a few, and if everybody did that, we'd all benefit.

riemac

10 Oct 2018

Boombastix wrote:
07 Oct 2018

Very good idea, I would participate in a community Refill as well.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2018

Send your request to PH support so they see it for sure. I have already requested Midi out from VSTs. The more that request it the better.

You have a free player that you can route Midi with already. Just download it.
DonnieAlan wrote:I'd consider it...but only IF (and its a big IF)...the P-heads also do a MIDI implementation enhancement that would provide MIDI IN/OUT ports on the back of the player so you could route the player however you wished. You could have Part 1 going to one VI and Part 2 another. Think of the possibilities that might provide. I've been saying for months that the next major Reason upgrade needs to include significant MIDI implementation enhancements, including the ability to route MIDI much we can Audio on the back of the rack, with virtual cables and all that.

Such an improvement would make the idea of more refills for the Dual Arp player even more enticing.

QVprod

10 Oct 2018

Lectric Panda has free refills for this as well as several other things on his website http://lectricpanda.com/

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Oct 2018

Yeah, that is nice of him, but who has time to curate those randomized refills for what is useful?
QVprod wrote:Lectric Panda has free refills for this as well as several other things on his website http://lectricpanda.com/

QVprod

10 Oct 2018

Boombastix wrote:
10 Oct 2018
Yeah, that is nice of him, but who has time to curate those randomized refills for what is useful?
QVprod wrote:Lectric Panda has free refills for this as well as several other things on his website http://lectricpanda.com/
It would be no different than any other refill or patch list. What's useful is relative to what you're doing.

jayhosking

11 Oct 2018

QVprod wrote:
10 Oct 2018
Boombastix wrote:
10 Oct 2018

It would be no different than any other refill or patch list. What's useful is relative to what you're doing.
It is different in that the search space is vastly larger than a traditional refill. It is also not curated to be musical per se, but rather based on the procedural generation of values.

Please note where this thread started. I have these refills and donmt find them to be particularly useful when trying to make an arpeggio, even though they occasionally lead to some great and unexpected creativity.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2018

Not only that, if we work together there is an opportunity that ideas feed off each other so we get more musically interesting patches.
jayhosking wrote:
QVprod wrote:
10 Oct 2018
It is different in that the search space is vastly larger than a traditional refill. It is also not curated to be musical per se, but rather based on the procedural generation of values.

Please note where this thread started. I have these refills and donmt find them to be particularly useful when trying to make an arpeggio, even though they occasionally lead to some great and unexpected creativity.

QVprod

11 Oct 2018

jayhosking wrote:
11 Oct 2018
QVprod wrote:
10 Oct 2018

That's totally fine. The OP doesn't mention you being aware of the refill so I suggested it. I'm not saying theres no room for other refills of Dual Arp.

DonnieAlan

14 Oct 2018

I sent this feature request on to the P-heads a long time ago. And they even emailed me for more detailed info as to what I had in mind. I know others like you have made the same or similar request. Hopefully, they've heard us!
Boombastix wrote:
10 Oct 2018
Send your request to PH support so they see it for sure. I have already requested Midi out from VSTs. The more that request it the better.

You have a free player that you can route Midi with already. Just download it.
DonnieAlan wrote:I'd consider it...but only IF (and its a big IF)...the P-heads also do a MIDI implementation enhancement that would provide MIDI IN/OUT ports on the back of the player so you could route the player however you wished. You could have Part 1 going to one VI and Part 2 another. Think of the possibilities that might provide. I've been saying for months that the next major Reason upgrade needs to include significant MIDI implementation enhancements, including the ability to route MIDI much we can Audio on the back of the rack, with virtual cables and all that.

hanleybrand

26 Oct 2018

QVprod wrote:
10 Oct 2018
Lectric Panda has free refills for this as well as several other things on his website http://lectricpanda.com/
Those are really, uh, big and interesting refills - but they're procedurally generated and not curated afterwards as far as I can tell - even going through the simple ones (folder 00 of the single arp patches) for every few useful ones there are as many that for most purposes are nonsense and others that are just meh.

Obviously you can edit them - but a curated version would be better (or maybe to keep with the procedurally generated thing, a machine learning component that learns how to make musical patterns from midi files or other music notations)

I'm not disparaging lectricpanda - the idea of using (and sharing) procedurally generated patterns is near and dear to my heart. I'm just saying I think the OP is more looking for one that's organized like the PH libraries, with arp patterns organized by type of music (i.e. EDM, rock, pop, 'trap' (i.e. whatever the 'hot' subgenera that generates interest while the refill is in development) and/or instrument roles (bass lines, percussion, melody, chords) with patches that someone who knows something has evaluated and said "this might be useful to someone."

• Information