CV Player Tap, free from Lectric Panda

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
jam-s

03 Oct 2018

Re8et wrote:
03 Oct 2018
Any idea why the output from the Tap merged together with the Mopol are not read as poly from the Emi device??
Reason 10.2
I think the EMI device does not support the PolyCV protocol.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2018

jam-s wrote:
03 Oct 2018
Re8et wrote:
03 Oct 2018
Any idea why the output from the Tap merged together with the Mopol are not read as poly from the Emi device??
Reason 10.2
Add the EMI to a combinator and feed the signal into the combinator.

rcbuse
RE Developer

03 Oct 2018

Re8et wrote:
03 Oct 2018
Reason 10.2
You might want to post a picture since there are a ton of different configurations that could be described by the above. How is it connected and what are you trying to achieve with the tap and mopol combination ? Why are you using MoPol at all ?

Re8et
Competition Winner

04 Oct 2018

rcbuse wrote:
03 Oct 2018
Re8et wrote:
03 Oct 2018
Reason 10.2
You might want to post a picture since there are a ton of different configurations that could be described by the above. How is it connected and what are you trying to achieve with the tap and mopol combination ? Why are you using MoPol at all ?
Tap to Mopol.JPG
Tap to Mopol.JPG (78.47 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
I used Mopol to merge the Tap output and get poly-cv, and feed one of the Emi devices in the same combinator.
I partly solved the problem re-enabling the Emi devices to receive notes with the same cv that enables the outputs from the Taps
(in the pictures now the one note stand has replaced both player for the job, and lolth enable-disable the outputs).
The Emi now receive notes from the combinator and the midi gate bypass devices, I need this double feed system because I have sequencers also in the same combinator. But, when the EMi where not receiving notes, I could play the seqencers on them separatedly and play the keyboard on different Emi, from the same combi. Enabling the Emi to receive notes does not allow this.
It's all cranked in one combinator for easy setup, at the moment, I could try to split the setup in multiple combinators, or split it in different sections to move to a new combinator host, pre-mapped, each time... like the Pooh example for the Midi-cv Master-slaves in the Player contest :idea: :idea:

Re8et
Competition Winner

04 Oct 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
03 Oct 2018
jam-s wrote:
03 Oct 2018

Add the EMI to a combinator and feed the signal into the combinator.
I need to try this!

CaptainBlack

18 Mar 2020

Is there an idiot's guide to how to use this anywhere?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 Mar 2020

CaptainBlack wrote:
18 Mar 2020
There is not a doc for the CV tap however Doc's that are available for Panda's stuff can be downloaded from his website http://lectricpanda.com/

What is your question?

Loque

18 Mar 2020

CaptainBlack wrote:
18 Mar 2020
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7507095
Reason12, Win10

WolfZeit

26 Jun 2023

Just created an account so I could add my thanks to Lectric Panda for making CV Player Tap free. Thanks very much mate.

challism

27 Jun 2023

WolfZeit wrote:
26 Jun 2023
Just created an account so I could add my thanks to Lectric Panda for making CV Player Tap free. Thanks very much mate.
CV Player Tap has some issues. The biggest issue is notes are treated as monophonic, so they are routed to the different CV channels. For example, if you play two notes, it will split them up in sequence, sending the first one to channel one and the next to channel two. So you have to wire them all through a merger or you get very inconsistent results. I've also experienced the occasional dropped/cut off, missing, and hanging note.

Whereas LoveOne MIDI CV Converter treats all notes as polyphonic and merges all notes equally into all channels. So if you play a 3-note chord, or overlapping notes, or a 10-note chord, all notes get sent to all channels. Sort of like it has an onboard merger. This is why I usually use MIDI CV Conv instead of Player Tap. MIDI CV Conv is currently on sale for $10. A no-brainer and what I consider essential for anyone using players.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

selig
RE Developer

27 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
27 Jun 2023
WolfZeit wrote:
26 Jun 2023
CV Player Tap has some issues. The biggest issue is notes are treated as monophonic, so they are routed to the different CV channels. For example, if you play two notes, it will split them up in sequence, sending the first one to channel one and the next to channel two. So you have to wire them all through a merger or you get very inconsistent results. I've also experienced the occasional dropped/cut off, missing, and hanging note.

Whereas LoveOne MIDI CV Converter treats all notes as polyphonic and merges all notes equally into all channels. So if you play a 3-note chord, or overlapping notes, or a 10-note chord, all notes get sent to all channels. Sort of like it has an onboard merger. This is why I usually use MIDI CV Conv instead of Player Tap. MIDI CV Conv is currently on sale for $10. A no-brainer and what I consider essential for anyone using players.
I totally agree, each does a different thing IMO. CV Tap is like Distributer (great for ‘hocketing” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hocket), MIDI-CV is like having MIDI cables in Reason.
Selig Audio, LLC

rcbuse
RE Developer

27 Jun 2023

Yea, the CV Tap was really only designed to be used like this because there is no control over the channel allocation. The purpose to copy one MIDI player stream to another player channel. Anything that merges CV is going to cause you to lose your note-off information.
Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 8.18.15 AM.png.10000x10000_q85.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 8.18.15 AM.png.10000x10000_q85.png (527.46 KiB) Viewed 2328 times

challism

27 Jun 2023

Yeah, I meant to mention that LP CVTP definitely has its uses and its place. That's why I mentioned that I "usually" use MIDI CV Conv (not always), because sometimes we do want to split up those notes and send them to different places. And I do appreciate that it was a generous gift given to the community by LP.

WolfZeit

28 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
27 Jun 2023
WolfZeit wrote:
26 Jun 2023

Thank you (Challism, Selig, Rcbuse) for the advice and explanation. I've just read your messages and sadly I missed the sale on LoveOne MIDI CV Converter, it's back up to £28. I'll do a Trial on it now and keep an eye for when it's next on sale.

I installed CV Tap Player as a means of writing patterns from Euclid Rhythm Generator to the Sequencer. It has been successful so far with that, which is great. I'm in the process of learning Reason 12 and I'm new to the subject of CV Converters, so I appreciate all your advice. :thumbs_up:

challism

28 Jun 2023

WolfZeit wrote:
28 Jun 2023
challism wrote:
27 Jun 2023

Thank you (Challism, Selig, Rcbuse) for the advice and explanation. I've just read your messages and sadly I missed the sale on LoveOne MIDI CV Converter, it's back up to £28. I'll do a Trial on it now and keep an eye for when it's next on sale.

I installed CV Tap Player as a means of writing patterns from Euclid Rhythm Generator to the Sequencer. It has been successful so far with that, which is great. I'm in the process of learning Reason 12 and I'm new to the subject of CV Converters, so I appreciate all your advice. :thumbs_up:
MIDI CV Conv will most likely go on sale again during the next big sale, it usually does.

Don't forget you can send Players' MIDI notes to track to get them into the sequencer. And you can also directly record them to track, as the song is playing live. Both are very useful if you want to make changes or use the MIDI for other tracks or want to make some changes on the fly without making new patterns and having to program the patterns. I think it's great that Players can be played kind of like instruments (in a way) and recorded live.
rec.jpg
rec.jpg (15.7 KiB) Viewed 2237 times

WolfZeit

28 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
28 Jun 2023
WolfZeit wrote:
28 Jun 2023

MIDI CV Conv will most likely go on sale again during the next big sale, it usually does.

Don't forget you can send Players' MIDI notes to track to get them into the sequencer. And you can also directly record them to track, as the song is playing live. Both are very useful if you want to make changes or use the MIDI for other tracks or want to make some changes on the fly without making new patterns and having to program the patterns. I think it's great that Players can be played kind of like instruments (in a way) and recorded live.

rec.jpg
Thanks Challism. I'm on a budget at the moment so was only able to afford the Euclid Rhythm Generator. The more expensive one, Euclidean Rhythms, has that 'Send To Track' button but the cheaper one doesn't. So CV Tap Player is filling that role. I think I read you can put the Euclid Rhythm Generator through one of Reason's own players but turned off, and use the Reason player's 'Send To Track' button. But I've yet to explore that. I'm enjoying learning Reason 12, but I've got a long way to go :puf_smile:

challism

28 Jun 2023

WolfZeit wrote:
28 Jun 2023
challism wrote:
28 Jun 2023

rec.jpg
Thanks Challism. I'm on a budget at the moment so was only able to afford the Euclid Rhythm Generator. The more expensive one, Euclidean Rhythms, has that 'Send To Track' button but the cheaper one doesn't. So CV Tap Player is filling that role. I think I read you can put the Euclid Rhythm Generator through one of Reason's own players but turned off, and use the Reason player's 'Send To Track' button. But I've yet to explore that. I'm enjoying learning Reason 12, but I've got a long way to go :puf_smile:
Ah, I was confusing Euclidean (player) with Euclid (utility). Yes, you can run Euclid as a gate. Years ago before I was able to get Euclidean (player) I built of Combi that turned Euclid (utility) into a poor man's version of Euclidean. It was basically a gate for player MIDI notes. Although it was a pain to build, it worked really well and actually offered more features than Euclidean player does (mostly in the resolution range), but Euclidean is easier to use (and is polyphonic). Also, if you are running monophonic notes through it works well. Since Euclid is monophonic, so if you build a player Combi with trying to emulate Euclidean, it gets complicated if you are using it polyphonically. The other option is to use it as a MIDI gate, but that can also be complicated because while it works well to shut off the MIDI info by closing the gate, it won't retrigger the MIDI info when it opens back up (the way Euclidean player does). So you have to make it trigger the MIDI notes, too.

An easier option is to run Euclid into Alligator's triggers and turn off Alligator's pattern button. So instead of gating the MIDI info, you are gating the audio output.
eual.png
eual.png (518.85 KiB) Viewed 2221 times

WolfZeit

28 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
28 Jun 2023
WolfZeit wrote:
28 Jun 2023

Ah, I was confusing Euclidean (player) with Euclid (utility). Yes, you can run Euclid as a gate. Years ago before I was able to get Euclidean (player) I built of Combi that turned Euclid (utility) into a poor man's version of Euclidean. It was basically a gate for player MIDI notes. It worked really well and actually offered more features than Euclidean player does, but Euclidean is easier to use. Also, if you are running notes through it, Euclid is monophonic, while Euclidean is polyphonic.

Another easier option is to run Euclid into Alligator's triggers and turn off Alligator's pattern button. So instead of gating the MIDI info, you are gating the audio output.
eual.png
Thanks for the Alligator tip :thumbs_up: and thanks even more for including images of the cabling involved - that's going to be very helpful. I'll give this a go.

challism

28 Jun 2023

WolfZeit wrote:
28 Jun 2023
challism wrote:
28 Jun 2023

Ah, I was confusing Euclidean (player) with Euclid (utility). Yes, you can run Euclid as a gate. Years ago before I was able to get Euclidean (player) I built of Combi that turned Euclid (utility) into a poor man's version of Euclidean. It was basically a gate for player MIDI notes. It worked really well and actually offered more features than Euclidean player does, but Euclidean is easier to use. Also, if you are running notes through it, Euclid is monophonic, while Euclidean is polyphonic.

Another easier option is to run Euclid into Alligator's triggers and turn off Alligator's pattern button. So instead of gating the MIDI info, you are gating the audio output.
eual.png
Thanks for the Alligator tip :thumbs_up: and thanks even more for including images of the cabling involved - that's going to be very helpful. I'll give this a go.
No worries. Remember the audio is still going through Alligator's effects, so you might want to turn those off and turn up the dry knob (unless you want those effects).
dry.jpg
dry.jpg (14.13 KiB) Viewed 2200 times

WolfZeit

28 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
28 Jun 2023
WolfZeit wrote:
28 Jun 2023

No worries. Remember the audio is still going through Alligator's effects, so you might want to turn those off and turn up the dry knob (unless you want those effects).
dry.jpg
Yeah, I guess with some experimentation you might find yourself liking some of the Alligator effects on the original Euclid patterns.

challism

28 Jun 2023

WolfZeit wrote:
28 Jun 2023
challism wrote:
28 Jun 2023

dry.jpg
Yeah, I guess with some experimentation you might find yourself liking some of the Alligator effects on the original Euclid patterns.
I like the effects just fine, but it's not something that fits every single audio track. And I've also got hundreds of other REs to chose from that probably do a better job for delay, phase, filtering, etc. So most of the time I would probably have them turned off and would just be using Alligator as a gating device.

WolfZeit

28 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
28 Jun 2023
WolfZeit wrote:
28 Jun 2023

I like the effects just fine, but it's not something that fits every single audio track. And I've also got hundreds of other REs to chose from that probably do a better job for delay, phase, filtering, etc. So most of the time I would probably have them turned off and would just be using Alligator as a gating device.
Cool. Thanks for the tips. Time for me to conquer a bit of cabling :puf_smile: Cheers.

huggermugger

28 Jun 2023

WolfZeit wrote:
28 Jun 2023
I think I read you can put the Euclid Rhythm Generator through one of Reason's own players but turned off, and use the Reason player's 'Send To Track' button. But I've yet to explore that. I'm enjoying learning Reason 12, but I've got a long way to go :puf_smile:
Yes, you can do this with Euclid and CVPTap. CVPTap (and MIDI/CV Converter too) basically turn a non-Player device into a Player.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 9.40.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 9.40.13 AM.png (526.55 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 9.40.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 9.40.07 AM.png (526.83 KiB) Viewed 2175 times

WolfZeit

28 Jun 2023

huggermugger wrote:
28 Jun 2023
WolfZeit wrote:
28 Jun 2023
I think I read you can put the Euclid Rhythm Generator through one of Reason's own players but turned off, and use the Reason player's 'Send To Track' button. But I've yet to explore that. I'm enjoying learning Reason 12, but I've got a long way to go :puf_smile:
Yes, you can do this with Euclid and CVPTap. CVPTap (and MIDI/CV Converter too) basically turn a non-Player device into a Player.
Thanks for that :thumbs_up:

challism

28 Jun 2023

WolfZeit wrote:
28 Jun 2023
huggermugger wrote:
28 Jun 2023

Thanks for that :thumbs_up:
Good tip, yeah. And you can make it polyphonic by adding more Euclids. And you can adjust the pitch (that knob can also be automated). There is a complicated way of putting this into a Combi and making it receive/follow notes, basically turning it into a version or Euclidean.
eupoly.png
eupoly.png (529.62 KiB) Viewed 2156 times

• Information