Behringer X touch One compatible with Reason 10.2???

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
thesonicarchitect

26 Sep 2018

Hi I'm new to the forum. So I have been considering purchasing the Behringer X touch One, however I've read before on how previous Behringer products such as the X Touch had mapping issues connecting with Reason, and that the Compact did not read at all. Can anyone tell me if the X touch one has any similar issues? I want to make sure before purchasing the X touch One. I use two other DAWS (Logic X and Pro Tools), that the X touch 1 would be perfect for, though Reason 10 is my favorite, and the Touch 1 is budget friendly and would be useful while traveling.

two shoes

26 Sep 2018

No, no control devices that use the Mackie Universal Control protocol, including the Behringer X-touch series, work correctly with Reason. Supposedly Reason supports the Mackie protocol but it's a broken mess - some controls are assigned to the wrong thing, others are implemented incorrectly or not at all. It's like they told a clueless intern to implement it years ago and he worked on it for a couple hours, screwed up the stuff he did, then wandered off and never finished. It's half finished and half of what's there is broken and apparently its been like that for years.

For any other DAW it would be a huge embarrassment and a top priority to fix, but Propellerhead have so many issues of that kind that they don't get embarrassed like normal companies anymore - they're like the Trump administration of software developers. I have the larger x-touch unit but after a month or so of headache I gave up on it ever working correctly with Reason and just bought a Nektar Panorama. Would it be nice to have the motorized faders and mixer channel controls? Absolutely. Will Propellerhead ever bother to fix their broken, partial implementation of Mackie control? Fat chance.

Check the link below - this poor soul, a non-developer, wants his Behringer controller to work with Reason so badly he's spent months trying to clean up Propellerhead's mess for them by creating a remote map that works with the x-touch stuff. When I tried it in March he had maybe 30-40%of the normal functionality working but some stuff can only be fixed by Propellerhead....

http://www.jaexx.com/blog/reason-custom ... emote-map/

EnochLight

26 Sep 2018

I can attest that X-Touch's integration with Reason was pretty poor when I had mine (I returned it because it worked so weirdly). I did like the unit, though. Just couldn't justify the cost when its Reason integration was so crappy. Never understood why Reason's MCU support was so poorly done.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

26 Sep 2018

Yeah the X-Touch One is on my watch list. But the X-Touch in general has been as well...
It's too bad Reason doesn't support it. I'm guessing they just don't have a department dedicated to it as other DAWs might? (which is why we see support from these other DAWs right out of the gate with included overlays)

For one of the few DAWs that doesn't also make its own hardware controllers, it would be great if they worked with third parties to make those controllers work well with Reason.

kefkekeyser

27 Sep 2018

And the X-Touch Mini? Do the LED rings around the rotary controls work if I would use an X-Touch Mini in MIDI mode? I want to buy a cheap controller with endless rotary encoders and the X-Touch Mini looks like a good candidate.

EnochLight

27 Sep 2018

joeyluck wrote:
26 Sep 2018
Yeah the X-Touch One is on my watch list. But the X-Touch in general has been as well...
It's too bad Reason doesn't support it. I'm guessing they just don't have a department dedicated to it as other DAWs might? (which is why we see support from these other DAWs right out of the gate with included overlays)

For one of the few DAWs that doesn't also make its own hardware controllers, it would be great if they worked with third parties to make those controllers work well with Reason.

The sad part is, with a little time and dedication to Remote, some sort of "out of the box" Reason support can be achieved in Reason, as two shoes pointed to in his link. I just wish Props would either support this from their end officially or, as you said, manufacturers would put the effort in. Mackie Control is pretty limited, anyway.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

sonicbyte

27 Sep 2018

This is an official answer from Behringer's support about the x-touch:

"Thank you for contacting us. The X-TOUCH ONE is not fully compatible with Propellerheads Reason 9 or 10. You will have to setup Reason to use MCU protocol, but the controls of the X-TOUCH ONE will be limited by the DAW protocol used in Reason. Please let me know if you have any further questions."

thesonicarchitect

28 Sep 2018

Thank you so much for your replies everyone, this is very helpful. Are there any affordable control surfaces that work properly with Reason10 outside of the nectar or is that it?

thesonicarchitect

28 Sep 2018

Any thoughts on the Icon platform m +?

EnochLight

28 Sep 2018

thesonicarchitect wrote:
28 Sep 2018
Any thoughts on the Icon platform m +?
It's not loaded with Reason support - it relies on Mackie Control for Reason, so... YMMV. If you buy one, let us know how it works out! ;) Looks like the reviews on Amazon and Sweetwater are pretty bad, though. Crappy tech support and questionable build quality.

sonicbyte

01 Oct 2018

So what protocol uses Nektar to control reason that works so well ?

EnochLight

01 Oct 2018

sonicbyte wrote:
01 Oct 2018
So what protocol uses Nektar to control reason that works so well ?
Customized Remote maps and a software front end from Nektar’s end.

O1B

01 Oct 2018

Boom. Thanks!
sonicbyte wrote:
27 Sep 2018
This is an official answer from Behringer's support about the x-touch:

"Thank you for contacting us. The X-TOUCH ONE is not fully compatible with Propellerheads Reason 9 or 10. You will have to setup Reason to use MCU protocol, but the controls of the X-TOUCH ONE will be limited by the DAW protocol used in Reason. Please let me know if you have any further questions."

Saihtam68

18 Jun 2019

Hi all,

Have tested Jaexx remote map for Mackie on the X-touch One and it function is better then the map from Propellerhead. The problem with Jaexx remote map is that he remaped the orginal to fit the X-touch with 8 channels and rotation knobs. X-touch One only have one. I have started my own rebuild of a remote map for X-touch One and it will functioning against the SSL master mixer with EQ, Dyn, Gain, FX, Sends1-8 etc. Its all about writing the correct mapping. I have tested some changes and my plans are to adress the gain(F1), Dyn(F2), EQ(F3) and so on and using the Up/Down buttons to scroll between the different rotation knobs i each group. Sorry to say there is not much info how to write these maps. Not even from Propellerhead. A lot of time goes to try different codes in the map, look how other maps are build up. Sometimes the map fail because there is a tab to much or less.

The Beringer X-touch One feels sturdy and worth every penny. I hope to come closer with the customized map so it will turn even better.

/Saihtam68

sonicbyte

18 Jun 2019

In theory the upcoming Platform Nano from Icon will be compatible with Reason.
https://iconproaudio.com/product/platform-nano/

Saihtam68

15 Oct 2019

Hi all, Have finished my modification of the Mackie map for the X-touch One. It works like a dream and i can control almost all functions on the SSL mixer in Reason. Take a look at
Last edited by Saihtam68 on 28 Nov 2019, edited 1 time in total.

JdA57

15 Oct 2019

thesonicarchitect wrote:
26 Sep 2018
Hi I'm new to the forum. So I have been considering purchasing the Behringer X touch One, however I've read before on how previous Behringer products such as the X Touch had mapping issues connecting with Reason, and that the Compact did not read at all. Can anyone tell me if the X touch one has any similar issues? I want to make sure before purchasing the X touch One. I use two other DAWS (Logic X and Pro Tools), that the X touch 1 would be perfect for, though Reason 10 is my favorite, and the Touch 1 is budget friendly and would be useful while traveling.
I'm using Behringer X touch One with Reason since a long time (actually Reason 10.4 - because will not update to this really most buggy and for Reason as Main-DAW-users not interesting V. 11 :D ). I bought 2 of X Touch One (2 Reasonlicenses / Workstations) exactly for this (Transport, Locators, Mix ... ! NOT "AT ALL EDITING" Devices - because using here BCR - only some Mainparameters)

The most important functions working fine. Some buttons has to be renamed, but I like it very much and I'm really, really happy with this. It's a really big workflow-win :) - So it's ok for me, that it is'nt 100% perfect.

Maybe hopefully you can test it your own.
If I'm remembering right, you can find one Video Reason -> X-Touch On YouTube.

brand

15 Oct 2019

EnochLight wrote:
26 Sep 2018
I can attest that X-Touch's integration with Reason was pretty poor when I had mine (I returned it because it worked so weirdly). I did like the unit, though. Just couldn't justify the cost when its Reason integration was so crappy. Never understood why Reason's MCU support was so poorly done.
Yes. This is a mystery to me as well. I use the Mackie MCU, and I implemented Mixer Jaexx's map and I'm not looking back. This map, IMO, is far and away superior, and does control almost every aspect of the SSL console (especially with an extender). You can see that work he did on it was considerable, and free to download. Some things he could not fix due to Props, that's true.
He thinks the x-touch is better than the Mackie MCU, and pretty much has me convinced of that too. I think he has some x-touch-specific mapping as well. I would recommend to at least check out his articles on the map and the map+extender.

Doubt they would work with x-touch One, but then, there's Saihtam68's map which sounds promising.

Also, on a side note, there is something strange that happened with 11 and the Library maps location, vs the Reason 11 package (at least in Mac). I think I posted about this before. Before 11, you could simply overwrite maps in the Library, but now there is a default map location. RS told me that as long as the version in the Library was higher, it would load up. Did not work for me. Deleting the default map, or just replacing the default map worked for me. Also, if you deleted maps from the Library, they would spawn again when opening Reason. Seems like now, they do not. There must have been some reason for this change, but it's beyond me...

Josdams

23 Oct 2019

Does it work with reason 11?

brand

24 Oct 2019

Josdams wrote:
23 Oct 2019
Does it work with reason 11?
The Jaexx map you mean? Yes. It controls the SSL console. This is its purpose. It can work with xtouch or mackie mcu and optimally with an extender. The thing is , with 11 the library does not behave in the same way as with 10.x.

Saihtam68

28 Nov 2019

The Jaexx map is working using The bigger X-touch controllers. For a full function with X-touch One to Reasons SSL mixer you must use my special mapping. Check out the youtube clip. It works for the Reason 11 aswell. Contact me if you want the map.

npinero1

18 Jul 2021

Can I get this mapping please?
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

drloop

18 Jul 2021

Saihtam68 wrote:
28 Nov 2019
The Jaexx map is working using The bigger X-touch controllers. For a full function with X-touch One to Reasons SSL mixer you must use my special mapping. Check out the youtube clip. It works for the Reason 11 aswell. Contact me if you want the map.

I tried to use Softube Console 1 but it needs a automation lane for every channel in order to work.
Is it the same with the X-Touch?

gullum

18 Jul 2021

drloop wrote:
18 Jul 2021
Saihtam68 wrote:
28 Nov 2019

I tried to use Softube Console 1 but it needs a automation lane for every channel in order to work.
Is it the same with the X-Touch?
then your doing it wrong I use Console 1 all the time and have it linked to the mixer

fullforce

18 Jul 2021

I have an X-touch compact and it works perfectly fine, as long as you write down (or remember) which knob or fader does what in which context. :D
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

• Information