(BoomBap/HipHop/Pop) FYI

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Troublemecca

21 Sep 2018

So, if the last track was about my composition, this track is meant to be about my flow. Def not 'radio ready' (in quotes for obvious reasons), but i'm trying here. Any thoughts that could get me there would be appreciated, if you don't like it, tell me why. If you like it, please like it :)

There's a light Jamaican accent, but I trust you worldly folks can understand me.
Last edited by Troublemecca on 21 Sep 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Nim

22 Sep 2018

Hey again, already posted about this in the other thread, but I really like this one. Good voice, clean production!

So strange hearing that little tom on the offbeat like that. I've used it my self on a couple of tracks, but not sure where i got it from. Where did you get it from? Maybe it's just more common than I realize :lol:

(old track of mine with same offbeat tom:)

Pete B

23 Sep 2018

Nice one. I like it. I think different drums/percussion (more organic and heavier, though not louder) would suit it better. At least, to me, the snare sounds too thin and uninteresting to be so upfront.

And you won't read this much on here: it could do with being longer! :puf_bigsmile:

Troublemecca

23 Sep 2018

Nim wrote:Hey again, already posted about this in the other thread, but I really like this one. Good voice, clean production!

So strange hearing that little tom on the offbeat like that. I've used it my self on a couple of tracks, but not sure where i got it from. Where did you get it from? Maybe it's just more common than I realize [emoji38]

(old track of mine with same offbeat tom:)
I have no idea... My musical influences are all over the place. I like to think I'm breaking new ground somewhere in there, but truth is, I'm a product of what came before me. Maybe I'm putting things together from different genres, maybe I'm imitating the bassline of a track I heard when I was a kid (I'm not, that I'm aware of), this creativity we employ comes from some well of knowledge and appreciation that I believe we all drink from, one way or another. Like... So many inventions/technologies were developed, and realizations come to, by different people, in different geographies, at more or less the same time, often unaware of one anothers' existence. That's not to say our works are not unique, because they do bear our marks, but I will go so far as to name you, the originator... of the offbeat tom [emoji848][emoji1787][emoji108][emoji109]

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Troublemecca on 23 Sep 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Troublemecca

23 Sep 2018

Pete B wrote:Nice one. I like it. I think different drums/percussion (more organic and heavier, though not louder) would suit it better. At least, to me, the snare sounds too thin and uninteresting to be so upfront.

And you won't read this much on here: it could do with being longer! :puf_bigsmile:
I could try that... I've heard the criticism that my drums sound "cheap" lol. I can agree the snare is just too loud to begin with (I was feelin it lol, and Kong drums are a batch to mix for some reason)... Percussion is the section I have the least experience with. I've played with a few instruments casually in my lifetime, most recently guitar which I have the most invested in cause its fun... but never the drums.

I appreciate your feedback, thank you man.

PS
The length was a compromise. In the mastering folder this would be an interlude. The boom bap isn't necessarily my style, nor is the aggression. Just felt like previewing what's possible.

Nim

25 Sep 2018

Troublemecca wrote:
23 Sep 2018
Nim wrote:
I have no idea... My musical influences are all over the place. I like to think I'm breaking new ground somewhere in there, but truth is, I'm a product of what came before me. Maybe I'm putting things together from different genres, maybe I'm imitating the bassline of a track I heard when I was a kid (I'm not, that I'm aware of), this creativity we employ comes from some well of knowledge and appreciation that I believe we all drink from, one way or another. Like... So many inventions/technologies were developed, and realizations come to, by different people, in different geographies, at more or less the same time, often unaware of one anothers' existence. That's not to say our works are not unique, because they do bear our marks, but I will go so far as to name you, the originator... of the offbeat tom [emoji848][emoji1787][emoji108][emoji109]
Hahaha, couldn't have said it better. I'm not sure I'm worthy the responsibility of a true offbeat tom originator though. But thanks. ^^
btw, I think you got some real lyrics potential in that post. PM me when it's a track.

Kalm

25 Sep 2018

I would choose a different kick with less resonance or distort it enough to bring out the low miss and remove the peaks 808 sound. . . but that's my preference.

The Jamaican accent is fine. It's what characterizes your voice. Master it to help swing your flow and make it unique.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

jappe

30 Sep 2018

I like the cool feeling you build with the chords and your nice voice.
It's not a long song, but it's short! Perfectly fine to make a micro-song too, well done on what I heard.
One thing: I hear some microphone noise before the vocals start and between vocals. Unless that's an intended lo-fi feature, could be an idea to clean it up in Audacity or whatever wave editor you have access too. Or use a gate.
At 00:06 I hear a distant infant audio-bombing your recording...or perhaps a cat :)

Troublemecca

30 Sep 2018

jappe wrote:I like the cool feeling you build with the chords and your nice voice.
It's not a long song, but it's short! Perfectly fine to make a micro-song too, well done on what I heard.
One thing: I hear some microphone noise before the vocals start and between vocals. Unless that's an intended lo-fi feature, could be an idea to clean it up in Audacity or whatever wave editor you have access too. Or use a gate.
At 00:06 I hear a distant infant audio-bombing your recording...or perhaps a cat :)
Infant [emoji4] my hearing must not be so good... Or you listened to it loud (right on)... I missed all that. Thank you so much, especially on the vocals bit... totally stumbled on (then compressed) those. Nothing ventured, nothing gained lol

Troublemecca

30 Sep 2018

Kalm wrote:I would choose a different kick with less resonance or distort it enough to bring out the low miss and remove the peaks 808 sound. . . but that's my preference.

The Jamaican accent is fine. It's what characterizes your voice. Master it to help swing your flow and make it unique.
Low miss... Resonance... 808 sound of the waveform's peak... Stop giving me homework.

Yes! Appreciate you.

Kalm

05 Oct 2018

Troublemecca wrote:
30 Sep 2018
Kalm wrote:I would choose a different kick with less resonance or distort it enough to bring out the low miss and remove the peaks 808 sound. . . but that's my preference.

Low miss... Resonance... 808 sound of the waveform's peak... Stop giving me homework.

Yes! Appreciate you.

That miss was supposed to be an "end" lmao. But yeah, I get into engineer mode when I hear other peoples work. My brain goes :lightbulb: :lightbulb:
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

• Information