(sci-fi theme music / analogue synths / post-rock / prog?) Air and Water

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
jayhosking

22 Sep 2018

I'm clearly not very good at genre.

Here's a track made in Reason with the help of some hardware synths (the Moog Subsequent 37, and the Korg Prologue), electric guitars, and bass. Lots of DR-1, Valhalla reverb, Arturia pre-amps, the Legend, VK-2, and probably lots more that's slipping my mind at the moment. Happy to break down any sounds if anyone's interested.

The track goes a bunch of places. It's probably the most ridiculous song I've ever recorded, but I'm also pretty pleased by it. Posting it on my Soundcloud page as a temp because I've never really mixed my electronic and rock worlds before. Please let me know what you think!

aeox
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2018

Awesome overall, that intro and electronic section were particularly great!

Nim

22 Sep 2018

Very good vibes mate. As a guy who used to listen to a lot of Dream Theater etc. and now listen mostly to electronic music I really enjoyed this one. Quite epic.

If I had to point out something, it would be to get even more prog/challenging with the rhythm guitar towards the end. And the crashes at the finale don't quite fit the room to my ears, they should be more airy/longer tail/reverb or something.

Nice work!

guitfnky

22 Sep 2018

👍🏼 very nice! I wish more rock artists would embrace synths to this extent. this kind of stuff is really inspiring, and you pull it off excellently here. 👍🏼
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Pete B

23 Sep 2018

I'd say your subject line covers all the relevant genres! It sounds very professional to me -- meaning you sound in complete control of your instruments ... in a way which I am not. :)

Wav-E

23 Sep 2018

crazy song,but i like it
very good intro, synths,melody...
:thumbs_up:
i enjoy it listening :)

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this. Very original. You did a great job mixing the two worlds together. I agree about the cymbals, they may have been a tad bright for the rest of the mix. Great work, though.

jayhosking

23 Sep 2018

Hey, thanks all for the feedback so far! And while any mixing problems are on me, I'll only say that Soundcloud has some pretty awful compression and does terrible things to the high end, especially cymbals. But I'll certainly be listening to the drums in a new light, now.

Nim

25 Sep 2018

jayhosking wrote:
23 Sep 2018
Yea, soundcloud compression can certainly crush crisp crashes. Maybe make it downladable so we can listen to the wav? :D

Noplan
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2018

great song. love the odd time signature.

jayhosking

25 Sep 2018

Nim wrote:
25 Sep 2018

Yea, soundcloud compression can certainly crush crisp crashes. Maybe make it downladable so we can listen to the wav? :D
Hah! I’ll put it on an EP on Bandcamp as soon as the other tracks have come together.

Despondo
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2018

Nice job on the track! Looking forward to the album! :-)

TheGodOfRainbows

25 Sep 2018

Good stuff. Nice blend of guitars and synth. Are you playing an electric bass? Fingerstyle or pick? Direct or through an amp? What amps on the guitars? Are those drum loops, or did you create them?

jayhosking

26 Sep 2018

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
25 Sep 2018
Good stuff. Nice blend of guitars and synth. Are you playing an electric bass? Fingerstyle or pick? Direct or through an amp? What amps on the guitars? Are those drum loops, or did you create them?
Electric bass, yeah. A Fender Jaguar MiJ. A pick, direct, using the Line 6 Helix VST (I got sick of not being able to dial in the right sound for guitars and basses via my options in REs).

Same with the guitars: they're all direct in, using Helix. Mainly a Gibson SG, with a little bit of a Fender Jazzmaster.

The drums aren't loops but rather programmed within the VST Addictive Drums 2. AD2 has some truly superb sounding options (happy to break down more details on this, too, if you'd like). I have been looking for good MIDI drums for years and years, and these were the first ones I found that had that rawness of a real drum recording. Plus the flexibility in modifying velocity, feel, etc. makes this VST really special.

• Information