I pray for sequencer improvement..

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Loque

14 Sep 2018

I complained about stupid sequencer hopping while editing long notes that completely destroyed my flow a while ago...And today, i have a audio sample, set it to voice-stretching and re-arrange the slices until they fit. And yes, i slap you PH (really!) if that thing will go into a pitch-edit mode on double click again when i left it on "SLICE-EDIT-MODE!!! Man seriously...

This is like auto-closing VST windows...I WILL close it if i dont need it anymore. THANKS!

The fact that i cannot drag a sample around while in slide edit mode or the wave display is weird and its pretty hard to set the slice markers correct, i tried to live and deal with it...but yea, it is still anoying as hell.

And than again such little anyoing things...like Kong still turns back its defined external audio channel when i drag a new sample on the pad. Really...i SET that channel because i WANT TO USE IT and it is NOT RELATED in any kind to a new sample! No idea why Kong has not enough channels on the backside or why it cannot be automatically routed to audio mix channels. If i want to mix in a Drum-Synth, i would let you know...

I now go for a walk and calm down...Pray for sequencer improvements and improvements of those little things...Than, hopefully with fresh air in my head i come back and continue making music...
Reason12, Win10

demt

14 Sep 2018

Right!
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Jagwah

14 Sep 2018

Don't worry, I think sequencer improvements could likely be very high on the to-do list over there at 'secret' headquarters.

Boy, imagine a video track in that sequencer!

Loque

14 Sep 2018

Ok...now i calmed down. But sometimes with those little things i feel like
tenor.gif
tenor.gif (108.58 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
or like this
bdbfa3577583492294b406d5ed1a006c.gif
bdbfa3577583492294b406d5ed1a006c.gif (607.93 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

14 Sep 2018

LOL yes @ auto-closing VST windows! ^_^

xylyx

14 Sep 2018

The inability to rename a clip is one that grinds with me...you have delete the label first and then add a new one!

jlgrimes

14 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
14 Sep 2018
I complained about stupid sequencer hopping while editing long notes that completely destroyed my flow a while ago...And today, i have a audio sample, set it to voice-stretching and re-arrange the slices until they fit. And yes, i slap you PH (really!) if that thing will go into a pitch-edit mode on double click again when i left it on "SLICE-EDIT-MODE!!! Man seriously...

This is like auto-closing VST windows...I WILL close it if i dont need it anymore. THANKS!

The fact that i cannot drag a sample around while in slide edit mode or the wave display is weird and its pretty hard to set the slice markers correct, i tried to live and deal with it...but yea, it is still anoying as hell.

And than again such little anyoing things...like Kong still turns back its defined external audio channel when i drag a new sample on the pad. Really...i SET that channel because i WANT TO USE IT and it is NOT RELATED in any kind to a new sample! No idea why Kong has not enough channels on the backside or why it cannot be automatically routed to audio mix channels. If i want to mix in a Drum-Synth, i would let you know...

I now go for a walk and calm down...Pray for sequencer improvements and improvements of those little things...Than, hopefully with fresh air in my head i come back and continue making music...
Totally agree about the Kong outputs.

Props put some weird limitations on some of their devices.

danc

14 Sep 2018

xylyx wrote:
14 Sep 2018
The inability to rename a clip is one that grinds with me...you have delete the label first and then add a new one!
There are 2 types of coder...

1. LITERAL coders... those that literally build what they've been asked to build and are shocked (and often get annoyed) if you ask for them to use their initiative. This means that they rely on their team members to scope and design every finite nuance, as a guide of what is required.

2. PASSIONATE coders... those people that care about the end-users to ensure it is pleasant to use... plus ensure that it looks and feels like everything else in the software for consistency. "We need to label tracks" is the only instruction they need and a perfect solution will be delivered.

I guess "labels" was built by a LITERAL coder! And another LITERAL coder was the person that made my VST's hide every time I click off them (seriously - why do I need to toggle KEEP OPEN every time?)... I assume that they have never made music and we switch between VSTs constantly for hours on end.

Anyone else spot LITERAL coding bodges in Reason?!
Check my Soundcloud:

Oquasec

14 Sep 2018

If you don't like reason sequencer you will most likely not like Cubase.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Loque

14 Sep 2018

Oquasec wrote:
14 Sep 2018
If you don't like reason sequencer you will most likely not like Cubase.
I never liked Cubase. I gave it a try a few times and just wondered, wtf? Why are ppl using that crap? But i really liked Ableton...so smooth and quick...
Reason12, Win10

Oquasec

14 Sep 2018

to each their own then. I prefer cubase, fl studio & reason for my actual stuff.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Undistraction

14 Sep 2018

Be grateful for the meagre crumbs you are being thrown in the next point release and stop complaining.

EnochLight

14 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
14 Sep 2018

Our thoughts and prayers are with you...

#diety_priorities :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Catblack

14 Sep 2018

Undistraction wrote:
14 Sep 2018
Be grateful for the meagre crumbs you are being thrown in the next point release and stop complaining.
I can't be as cynical as that, personally. I really respect Loque's opinion's (and sound design,) but I've never personally run into the issues he's reporting here. But I'm sure might. I'm also certain that just by posting this thread, Propellerhead has noted the issues and they've got them on their fix list.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Undistraction

14 Sep 2018

I'm also certain that just by posting this thread, Propellerhead has noted the issues and they've got them on their fix list

LoL
Last edited by Undistraction on 14 Sep 2018, edited 1 time in total.

diekehle

15 Sep 2018

Regarding the Kong outputs. If you use the Sampler just mark the sample in the fake LCD Display and drag it into that field the output will stay. But sou are right anyway it shouldn‘t reset the outs

xylyx

15 Sep 2018

danc wrote:
14 Sep 2018
xylyx wrote:
14 Sep 2018
There are 2 types of coder...

1. LITERAL coders... those that literally build what they've been asked to build and are shocked (and often get annoyed) if you ask for them to use their initiative. This means that they rely on their team members to scope and design every finite nuance, as a guide of what is required.

2. PASSIONATE coders... those people that care about the end-users to ensure it is pleasant to use... plus ensure that it looks and feels like everything else in the software for consistency. "We need to label tracks" is the only instruction they need and a perfect solution will be delivered.

I guess "labels" was built by a LITERAL coder! And another LITERAL coder was the person that made my VST's hide every time I click off them (seriously - why do I need to toggle KEEP OPEN every time?)... I assume that they have never made music and we switch between VSTs constantly for hours on end.

Anyone else spot LITERAL coding bodges in Reason?!
Yep, this is true. I had this discussion with the boss at work the other day regarding some other software (non-music related) that we received with a hardware purchase and that is full of the sort of user-unfriendly issues that meant I could tell the software was done by a literal coder, with no real thought about how the end user would approach using it.

Re8et
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2018

Yesterday I had a talk with a friend, he was saying I should save my songs into the redrums, using all pattern banks, and slap them while in the mix...
I told him it was not possible, unless using a combinator...
After some minutes I realized he was talking about opening a new song, and run two or more instances of Reason together, like it was possible in Reason 3.0, async, etc etc..

When I have a surface/controller locked to a Synth and slap in a new Kong/Redrum, I lose the lock and the MIDI CC assignment needs to be done again... and I lose my mind, because I don't have a solution for this...
So now I'm thinking the old approach was actually more flow, but not yesterday in the talk...

We need more lock&stock buttons...

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2018

Doing stuff in FL now. Ahh, how the pencil tool just automatically changes if you want to move a midi bar, or stretch it. You put a 1/16 note on a 1/16 grid, then stretch to 1/8, next FL remembers the 1/8 length and you can put on 1/8 notes on the 1/16 grid, ahhh smile. Need some strumming, you open the strumming tool that dynamically changes the note strum in many way - wonderful, and right in front of the Reason coders eyes. Really good work flow. They do not need to invent, just pick the best in class implementation - code on Reason coders - WE NEED THIS !
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Troublemecca

24 Sep 2018

jlgrimes wrote:
Loque wrote:
14 Sep 2018

Totally agree about the Kong outputs.

Props put some weird limitations on some of their devices.
I'm almost certain that was a business decision... Gotta leave something for the rack extension developers. I'm assuming there's an extension with one output per channel, and if there isn't, boy do you have an opportunity here.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

• Information