Signal chain

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
bbs

13 Sep 2018

Does the signal chain shown in the upper area of the SSL mixer tell me the signal chain of everything in Reason or only the flow of what is added within the mixer itself. Lets say I add a insert FX in the “insert FX slot” in the rack or a EQ/comp plug-in underneath a instrument in the rack. Were does this go in the signal flow? Hope you guys can help me - I'm new :-)
Attachments
Skærmbillede 2018-09-13 kl. 11.46.58.png
Skærmbillede 2018-09-13 kl. 11.46.58.png (24.82 KiB) Viewed 2105 times

Loque

13 Sep 2018

It shows the signal chain of exactly this mixer channel. In your case:
1. The SSL compressor, gate/expander (DYNamics)
2. the SSL EQ
3. Finally your insert FX are processed after all the previous steps
Reason12, Win10

bbs

13 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
13 Sep 2018
It shows the signal chain of exactly this mixer channel. In your case:
1. The SSL compressor, gate/expander (DYNamics)
2. the SSL EQ
3. Finally your insert FX are processed after all the previous steps
Okay so by insert FX we refer to the ones I have added in the FX insert slot in the rack? Coz' when I add a insert FX in the rack it doesn't appear in the insert FX section in the mixer?
Attachments
Skærmbillede 2018-09-13 kl. 12.37.42.png
Skærmbillede 2018-09-13 kl. 12.37.42.png (59.75 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
Last edited by bbs on 13 Sep 2018, edited 2 times in total.

Loque

13 Sep 2018

Please post a Screenshot of your mixer channel in the rack, where you inserted your fx. Please post the backside with the cables.
Reason12, Win10

bbs

13 Sep 2018

I actually just tried to click "bypass" in the SSL Mixer and then I can hear that the Insert FX disappears. So it seems like it is connected but i can't "visually" see it in the mixer..
Attachments
Skærmbillede 2018-09-13 kl. 13.59.47.png
Skærmbillede 2018-09-13 kl. 13.59.47.png (70.26 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
Skærmbillede 2018-09-13 kl. 14.04.52.png
Skærmbillede 2018-09-13 kl. 14.04.52.png (454.24 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
Skærmbillede 2018-09-13 kl. 14.05.29.png
Skærmbillede 2018-09-13 kl. 14.05.29.png (511.87 KiB) Viewed 2065 times

Loque

13 Sep 2018

Ah... Ok. Now I understand. The 4 rotaries and buttons you see in the SSL mixer are macro controllers. You can program and rename them in the mod matrix of the channel. To do this, click Show Programmer.
Reason12, Win10

bbs

13 Sep 2018

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help.
So let me see if i got this right: If I wanna add stuff to a track in this order:

1) SSL mixer EQ
2) Insert FX compressor (neutron VST or M-class)
3) Insert FX EQ (neutron VST or M-class)

I should go with the signal chain: dyn -> EQ -> insert.. (what is the order of the signal flow within the rack? Should I in this case place the comp above the EQ?)

And what if I have other inserts like fx. GTR amp that I want to come in the signal chain BEFORE getting to the mixing part:
1) Amp insert FX
2) SSL mixer EQ
3) Own insert FX (VST EQ/comp ect.?)
Is this problem solved by adding the amp UNDERNEATH the gtr in the rack instead of in the insert FX slot?

As you can hear I really wanna figure out the signal flow :-) lol

Loque

13 Sep 2018

The SSL signal flow is only for the SSL mixer itself, and its dynamic, EQ and insert fx sections.

If you want different order in the insert fx section, reorder the devices by dragging and holding shift key. You may want to control or manually adjust the signal flow by changing the cables on the backside - this is the real mal flow independent of the device order.

If you want fx before the SSL, correct it right befor the SSL audio input. Normally its enough to drag your devices below the device connected to the SSL channel. Rearrange them with shfit + drag. Again, also here the real signal flow is defined by the cables.

Understanding the routing is essential. Take your time, experiment, understand and play around until you understood it. As soon as you understood the routing, your mind will be blown by the possibilities and you will see how easy it is.
Reason12, Win10

bbs

13 Sep 2018

Thanks again!! You are so right!

And last but not least; When does the send FX's come into the signal chain?

jimmyklane

13 Sep 2018

Send effects come (unless specified otherwise) after the channel fader in the SSL.

So, all of the SSL dynamics, EQ, and gain adjustments are preserved, as are the sonic adjustments you’ve made with any insert effects. The sends tap off the signal at the very “back end” of the signal path.

The exception is if you click the little “pre” button under the send enable button. This will place the send effect before your fader adjustment and be as if it was at the unity gain mark. If you had your fader lowered this will serve to make the send seem louder. In addition it allows tricks like fading out the dry sound but (for example) not the reverb it’s sending to.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Loque

13 Sep 2018

OK. Now you also understood Send FX. Now you need to understand the Bus-routings and Parallel Channels too :-D
Reason12, Win10

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2018

Here is a diagram I did of the basic signal flow which may help you....
Signal Flow less colour.jpg
Signal Flow less colour.jpg (737.83 KiB) Viewed 2011 times

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T&T's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

Loque

14 Sep 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
14 Sep 2018

PoohBear

Ok, that looks complicated even for me that plays around with Reason for a while. Its obviously, that Reason can be weird with its routing.
Reason12, Win10

bbs

14 Sep 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
13 Sep 2018
Send effects come (unless specified otherwise) after the channel fader in the SSL.

So, all of the SSL dynamics, EQ, and gain adjustments are preserved, as are the sonic adjustments you’ve made with any insert effects. The sends tap off the signal at the very “back end” of the signal path.

The exception is if you click the little “pre” button under the send enable button. This will place the send effect before your fader adjustment and be as if it was at the unity gain mark. If you had your fader lowered this will serve to make the send seem louder. In addition it allows tricks like fading out the dry sound but (for example) not the reverb it’s sending to.
Great description. Thanks a lot !!

And Loque: you are right. Go a head and tell me whats important to know about it ;-) lol If you make a BUS, then all the previews settings will be "frozen" and then you kind of start over in a new mixing signal chain again. That is how I would guess it works. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :D
Last edited by bbs on 14 Sep 2018, edited 4 times in total.

bbs

14 Sep 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
14 Sep 2018

PoohBear

This is amazing! I'm very visual so this is perfect - thanks a LOT!

I would love to know what your personally prefer when it comes to insert FX. Do you make them a part of the mixing signal flow by placing them in the insert FX slot section in the rack OR do you usually just place them underneath the instrument? I'm not sure i understand why both options are possible..

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2018

bbs wrote:
14 Sep 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
14 Sep 2018

PoohBear

This is amazing! I'm very visual so this is perfect - thanks a LOT!

I would love to know what your personally prefer when it comes to insert FX. Do you make them a part of the mixing signal flow by placing them in the insert FX slot section in the rack OR do you usually just place them underneath the instrument? I'm not sure i understand why both options are possible..
I tend to put FX after the instrument when the FX are more to do with the shaping of the sound and then of course you can combine them up (add it all to a combinator) and save it as one patch ready to use in another project.
When I want to add FX to make the sound fit the mix I add it as a channel insert.
So I can end up with FX after the instrument and also in the channel insert. Now that may seam excessive but really I should not be going back to the FX's after the instruments once I have started to add insert FX as I would be at the mixing stage.

• Information