VK-1 just got a (paid) update

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
hurricane
Competition Winner

14 Jun 2018

I REALLY miss the old skin, Blam. :wave:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Blamsoft
RE Developer

14 Jun 2018

2012, the good old days, I have fond memories of that year. ;)
Last edited by Blamsoft on 01 Nov 2018, edited 3 times in total.

fieldframe
RE Developer

14 Jun 2018

esselfortium wrote:
14 Jun 2018
The lack of a backwards-compatibility switch for old songs is a really bad idea. You say it's not worth having because it's "an overall worse mode" but you also say that it sounds different enough to affect existing songs. The sacrifice there doesn't make any sense to me.

There's a good reason why, for instance, the 14:2 mixer had a Compatible/Improved toggle added to its back panel when it was upgraded: the new (default) mode sounds different, and it would break existing songs without that compat switch.
I kind of have to agree on this. I appreciate that Blamsoft didn't make any continuity-breaking changes until this paid upgrade, but honestly, if I had a lot of fully-mixed song projects that used VK-1, this would completely put me off upgrading.

I also understand that feature flags are a big overhead in software development, and that keeping both engines in the codebase may have been judged too high a development cost for a $15 upgrade. Trade-offs, I guess.

raymondh

15 Jun 2018

It's nice that we've been made aware of the differences.
People can always bounce to audio on their 'old' VK1 tracks if they want to preserve that sound, before upgrading.

raymondh

15 Jun 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
14 Jun 2018
Unfortunately I don't have much to show apart from this awfully derivative 80s/synthwave thing I'm doing for work. The bass and main melody are VK-1. I'd say it just has more presence, and power than it used to. Always lacked a bit of impact to my ear, which is why I'd end up using VK-2 with its way sharper, more aggressive filter envelopes or Legend with its rounder bottom end. Now I think I can use VK-1 for a lot more stuff!

More than anything I'd say it's super playable. Especially the Synthwave patches. The sound isn't so radically different as to be unusable. Like I recognise the old patches. They just sound...better.
Very cool!!!

EdGrip

15 Jun 2018

How about someone with an old VK-1 track upgrades, and exports the same track with new VK-1 so we can hear how different it is?
Last edited by EdGrip on 15 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Blamsoft
RE Developer

15 Jun 2018

Sorry for an EDM demo, but I had this one bounced. I think the old version is thin in comparison. It is also a little harsher.

miscend

15 Jun 2018

How about you redo the shoot out with the Moog Voyager?

Blamsoft
RE Developer

15 Jun 2018

miscend wrote:
15 Jun 2018
How about you redo the shoot out with the Moog Voyager?
Haven't had time to do that.

lowpryo

15 Jun 2018

Blamsoft wrote:
15 Jun 2018
Sorry for an EDM demo, but I had this one bounced. I think the old version is thin in comparison. It is also a little harsher.

dang, comparing at 1:30 it's like turning a light switch on in the track. definitely an improvement! it's funny how particular some people can be about the backwards compatability thing. it's not a drastic enough change where you lose the identity of your track or anything IMO!

Blamsoft
RE Developer

15 Jun 2018

These demos feature the new Synthwave patches.

jlgrimes

17 Jun 2018

Blamsoft wrote:
15 Jun 2018
These demos feature the new Synthwave patches.

Bought.

Sounds "sweeter" and puts it more in line with the newer Moog emulations.

antic604

06 Sep 2018

Was it ever clarified by Blamsoft if those changes will be carried over to Polymodular System's oscillator, filter and envelope?

I'm considering getting either the VK-1 or Polymodular System II (I already have Distributor) and I like the fatter sound of updated Vk-1, but separate components seem more appealing to me as they can be used elsewhere.

scratchnsnifff

06 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
06 Sep 2018
Was it ever clarified by Blamsoft if those changes will be carried over to Polymodular System's oscillator, filter and envelope?

I'm considering getting either the VK-1 or Polymodular System II (I already have Distributor) and I like the fatter sound of updated Vk-1, but separate components seem more appealing to me as they can be used elsewhere.
I soooo wish that blamsoft would do more with the polymodular system

It’s cool that they are exploring the vcv rack stuff, but I’m dying to see anything regarding rack extension development

The poly modular system comes in handy in so many cases, using movement as a modern drawable envelope with malström or subtractor is very useful. As malström and subtractor don’t have a means of scaling their cv out signals

So you can use the mono output cv to a rotary on a combinator, and scale back the modulation amount by moving movements amp level

Also it’s a single cycle oscillator creator, with a form of PWM or bend -
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Loque

06 Sep 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Sep 2018
Its actually the only system, where you can modulate the wave of the oscillator itself...
Reason12, Win10

antic604

06 Sep 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Sep 2018
The poly modular system comes in handy in so many cases, using movement as a modern drawable envelope with malström or subtractor is very useful. As malström and subtractor don’t have a means of scaling their cv out signals

So you can use the mono output cv to a rotary on a combinator, and scale back the modulation amount by moving movements amp level

Loque wrote:
06 Sep 2018
Its actually the only system, where you can modulate the wave of the oscillator itself...
So, what you both are saying is I should get the PM instead of Vk-1? :)

scratchnsnifff

06 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
06 Sep 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
06 Sep 2018

Yes but get both in time use it for mainly mono synths if you run into cpu issues, both of them probably use the same amount of resources (especially since the vk1 update)

But yeah the PM system is worth the price for the filter alone.

With the pm system, you can build the features of the vk1

I have the system and vk2 so I feel no need to get the vk1, but if I had to pick between a predetermined synth and modules, the modular setup wins all day :)

scratchnsnifff

06 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
06 Sep 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Sep 2018
Well don’t forget about the wiz audio oscillator, this is essentially the same feature

The table oscillator can make custom PWM modulation by using a combinator and routing width parameters to a rotary

Also the wiz oscillator can do the same thing but with the shape, so you could in theory use something like an audio to CV and have a dynamic wavetable :)

Loque

06 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
06 Sep 2018
If you read that...maybe :-)...i mean 30 bucks for a oscillator/lfo/envelopegenerator with unique functions, a filter, the distributor and yea, some kind of a mixer... If you are in the mood of modular build up and want to modulate the sh!t out of the wave in the oscillator, you need to get it. It is also some kind of polyphonic...
Reason12, Win10

Loque

06 Sep 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Sep 2018
Loque wrote:
06 Sep 2018

Well don’t forget about the wiz audio oscillator, this is essentially the same feature

The table oscillator can make custom PWM modulation by using a combinator and routing width parameters to a rotary

Also the wiz oscillator can do the same thing but with the shape, so you could in theory use something like an audio to CV and have a dynamic wavetable :)
Hum...maybe i got to look into it finally...but really...its so ugly... Anyone knows, if the dev is still active?
Reason12, Win10

antic604

06 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
06 Sep 2018
If you read that...maybe :-)...i mean 30 bucks for a oscillator/lfo/envelopegenerator with unique functions, a filter, the distributor and yea, some kind of a mixer... If you are in the mood of modular build up and want to modulate the sh!t out of the wave in the oscillator, you need to get it. It is also some kind of polyphonic...
Yeah, that's the problem - I fantasise about sitting there and patching a crazy synth, but when it comes to it I'd rather browse some presets, tweak them and play with FX devices, parallel processing, weird modulations, etc.

So yeah, even if they're dirt cheap now - both the PM and Vk-1 - I think I'll pass. I have Vk-2, Expanse and lots of other synths and Vk-1 VST (which I understand has the updated engine) sounds pretty thin and one-dimensional comparing to The Legend, Monark or Vk-2.

Thanks!

Loque

06 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
06 Sep 2018
Loque wrote:
06 Sep 2018
Yeah, that's the problem - I fantasise about sitting there and patching a crazy synth, but when it comes to it I'd rather browse some presets, tweak them and play with FX devices, parallel processing, weird modulations, etc.

So yeah, even if they're dirt cheap now - both the PM and Vk-1 - I think I'll pass. I have Vk-2, Expanse and lots of other synths and Vk-1 VST (which I understand has the updated engine) sounds pretty thin and one-dimensional comparing to The Legend, Monark or Vk-2.

Thanks!
Naa, you are very good equipped and you are right, fiddling 2h around for just 1 sound is not the right thing for a quick sound look up. It is more for experimenting, trying, fiddling, exploring...and suddenly bam! And the way to it was fun most of the time.

I still cross my fingers, that eXpanse gets a bigger mod matrix and controls for the user envelopes or a bigger editor for it, another 1 or 2 filter per voice and so on. It is just amazing what the sound differes, by just moving a line by a few pixels... Now i just need to understand, why a analog synth still sounds sometimes better with a fuller spectrum, even if both have/produce exactly the same wave :shock: :?:
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

06 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
06 Sep 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Sep 2018

Hum...maybe i got to look into it finally...but really...its so ugly... Anyone knows, if the dev is still active?
I asked them a few questions about the table oscillator but have no clue if they are still making devices.

I’d love to see a synth by them, they have some cool creative tools. Their oscillators are great for in depth cv madness

Faastwalker

07 Sep 2018

I didn't realise the Polymodular bundle was so cheap now. I bought Distributor as soon as it appeared in the shop, before all the other modules appeared. So $25 for the bundle without Distributor looks like a very tempting deal ;)

dusan.cani

11 Mar 2019

Blamsoft wrote:
14 Jun 2018
Regarding Synth Rig, new users get the new version. Existing users keep the old version.
Hi Blamsoft,

I have Synth Rig 3, but it shows me that update for VK-1 is paid. Is this OK ? As you mentioned above I understand it that the newest version should be included in Synth Rig already.

Thanks

• Information