Ending PUF with a bang!

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
User avatar
Exowildebeest
Posts: 1553
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote: Christian Ratsch, Paul Stamets, Rick Strassman, D.M. Turner and Terrance McKenna all feature in my home library. But that's a whole other topic :)

Good to know there's another research cadet here at the forum.
I've read the DMT book by Strassman. Fascinating work.

If I remember correctly, it was also Strassman I once sampled for a track. That's at least marginally more original than the gazillionth McKenna sample :D

User avatar
Julibee
Posts: 291
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Southern California

Post 21 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Gawd. He's a fraud. Well regarded anthropologists have debunked just about everything he presented in those book. My library is more academic rather than fiction.
My Library would make you weep, then.... Except I made my husband take all of his books to his office. I kept bumping into Husserl when I needed somwhere to set a (phenomenologically) half-full glass of water.
I'm still doing it wrong.
8.1    
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

User avatar
Namahs Amrak
Posts: 609
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Australia

Post 21 Jan 2015

Exowildebeest wrote: I've read the DMT book by Strassman. Fascinating work.

If I remember correctly, it was also Strassman I once sampled for a track. That's at least marginally more original than the gazillionth McKenna sample :D
It certainly is a fascinating read. BUt the documentary they made was a train wreck. Ok, it wasn't too bad I suppose, but I see no reason why it was billed as an adaption of the book. IMO it should not have carried the words 'The Spirit Molecule' in the title.

There should be a ban on McKenna samples in psytrance. Timothy Leary used to be used often as well. It's been done to death.  I recently sampled a Sufi Theologian, which I dare say will be unique in the music world. I'll render a sample tonight if you want a listen :) It fits very well in that whole psytrance spoken world field.

Julibee, tell us more about what you're into reading.
My Words are my ART

User avatar
3rd Floor Sound
Posts: 95
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Gawd. He's a fraud. Well regarded anthropologists have debunked just about everything he presented in those book. My library is more academic rather than fiction.
Ah, yeah I went on a much different path, studying spirituality from an oddly scientific standpoint and other weird shit. Those books were a fun read as a kid though.
º REFILLS 
º Youtube
º Twitter
º Facebook

User avatar
X1Lo
Posts: 65
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jan 2015

Life can be best understood when looking through a mirror.
Karma Shaman!  I would have never noticed.  Although I may just be oblivious, and everyone already knew lol.  I find it funny that Mckenna has been brought up, my girlfriend started reading 'The Archiac Revival' today.  That and I finally found 'Food of the Gods' buried beneath old notebooks from college today.  Wierd..... 
"As I stare into the digital abyss, I will remember when the world was real."


User avatar
CharlyCharlzz
Posts: 906
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jan 2015

I left the forum tonight for Good , I will not post anymore I reached the perfect number ..... well after deleting a few LOL !

I will log-in tomorow to see what is that new site or when ever it's ready :D

been hooked up to the forum reading it all but need a break my vision is weird .
Image 
It does not die , it multiplies !

 7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

User avatar
Exowildebeest
Posts: 1553
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jan 2015

Exowildebeest wrote: I've read the DMT book by Strassman. Fascinating work.

If I remember correctly, it was also Strassman I once sampled for a track. That's at least marginally more original than the gazillionth McKenna sample :D
Namahs Amrak wrote:
It certainly is a fascinating read. BUt the documentary they made was a train wreck. Ok, it wasn't too bad I suppose, but I see no reason why it was billed as an adaption of the book. IMO it should not have carried the words 'The Spirit Molecule' in the title.

There should be a ban on McKenna samples in psytrance. Timothy Leary used to be used often as well. It's been done to death.  I recently sampled a Sufi Theologian, which I dare say will be unique in the music world. I'll render a sample tonight if you want a listen :) It fits very well in that whole psytrance spoken world field.

Julibee, tell us more about what you're into reading.
Nah, deep down I know the McKenna samples never get old. There are other things much higher on the list I'd like to see banned from psytrance - triplet rhythms being the chief one.

A Sufi theologian, nice. Those guys always seemed to be the most cuddleable and endearing muslims.

User avatar
Namahs Amrak
Posts: 609
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Australia

Post 21 Jan 2015

Hey X1Lo - My 'name' has been mentioned by numerous people in this thread alone. I recently stumbled across a band that step up 'guerilla style' (ie illegally) in the main street of the boho part of my city, and after rocking out for about 1/2 hour enquired as to the name of the band... it was The Archaic Revival.

Have we all noticed that the PUF is turning to shit, even without dicks? May as well lay some knobs into the mix, it won't alter the lack of credibility that the place is becoming in the final hours. Yorick's setup a goddamn pulpit over there !


Who else here likes chillis?

Image 
My Words are my ART

User avatar
Exowildebeest
Posts: 1553
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jan 2015

Hot cocks, man.

User avatar
Julibee
Posts: 291
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Southern California

Post 21 Jan 2015

Image

Currently reading this 33 1/3 book about Dummy... And it's really good. I've read that the 33 1/3 books are hit or miss as a collection (80 or so of them so far), but I'm only on page 76 of this one, and I'm learning all sorts of good things. I suppose it doesn't hurt that I love Portishead as much as I do.

As as far as the Philosophy goes... My husband did his Graduate work with Natanson at Yale, who had studied with Husserl, himself. So, he's kind of "in the family". I'm no Philosopher, but I did write my own college thesis on Schutz's theories of Social Constructionism (but as related to my much aligned, much teased about Sociology degree) which was an offshoot of Phenomenonology, and made for an interesting conversation when I first realized what my future husband's specialty was. I had already finished my thesis by the time I knew. Crazy coincidence. Or... Not.

So, Continental Phil and Logic books everywhere, but he was also very into art, so the two worlds merged and I have a million books on the Aesthtics of art and architecture in both hemispheres as well. These days, he's starting a new Biomedical Ethics program and "Death and Dying" type books have taken over every available space.  One of the books I've been seeing left around the house in various places lately is Atul Gawande's latest. I hear it's fascinating. He IS an amazing writer... 

But, for now, I'll stick with the Portishead, I think. 
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm still doing it wrong.
8.1    
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

User avatar
JNeffLind
Posts: 976
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: So. Illinois, USA

Post 21 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:
Image 
Bahahaha! Reminds me of myself at age fourteen when I bought my first sports illustrated swimsuit issue. SCHAAAAAWING!

User avatar
JNeffLind
Posts: 976
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: So. Illinois, USA

Post 21 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote:Image

 
That title describes how I feel eavesdropping on the philosophy line of this thread. I thought I was well read (it's my only hobby besides music) but I'm more of a fiction guy I guess.

User avatar
Namahs Amrak
Posts: 609
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Australia

Post 21 Jan 2015

I'm intrigued about these book series. Are they opinions, or detailed rundowns of the production etc? A friend of mine has this book on The Beatles which discusses every song in details about how they recorded it etc so if it's along those lines, I'm very keen to check one out

JNeff - it doesn't matter what books you read, the good thing is that you read ! There is definitely a level of intelligence that is apparent in people that read books.
My Words are my ART

User avatar
Exowildebeest
Posts: 1553
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:
JNeff - it doesn't matter what books you read, the good thing is that you read ! There is definitely a level of intelligence that is apparent in people that read books.

User avatar
Julibee
Posts: 291
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Southern California

Post 22 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:I'm intrigued about these book series. Are they opinions, or detailed rundowns of the production etc? A friend of mine has this book on The Beatles which discusses every song in details about how they recorded it etc so if it's along those lines, I'm very keen to check one out

JNeff - it doesn't matter what books you read, the good thing is that you read ! There is definitely a level of intelligence that is apparent in people that read books.
THIS ONE seems to intertwine what was happening in and around Bristol (and Portishead) at the time, including the music scene and a little culture, and it does so with an interesting back and forth. It sort of hovers around the subject, picking up bits and pieces on the way, while slowly assembling a puzzle. There are infinite details of odd little things-- from discussions on minute specks of a sample to an astute description of the album cover/feature still that is 'Dummy'.

Each chapter in this one has a subtitle heading which details a paragraph for that chapter; The chapter, "Shock" heading reads "A cacauphony of metaphors-- Grunge breakbeats-- "Strangers"-- The air under an assault-- Public Enemy-- Hard Bop Jazz-- More Tea-- a '79 Classic Chevy Caprice Classic-- The Roland TR-808-- The resonant qualities of the human lung-- Student Housing-- Floors and ceilings-- Church Bells and Curfews-- Highest Tide-- And those fragments become our chapter, much like the samples become our song. I don't know if the other books are laid out this way, but it makes perfect sense, here. 

So that entire chapter is spelled out exactly as it said... We start with the odd names given to the earliest remixes as handed out in the clubs, learn about how drum and bass was taking the scene by storm, and in unexpected places, with Grohl being cited for his style on 'Smells Like Teen Spirit', and how it was reported in a medical journal that loud bass could,enter a tiny hole in the lungs... And collapse it. We have a lengthy paragraph on the musical opening of "Strangers" remix from the DJ Essentials series, detailing the four minutes of "mechanical roll and thrum", how at 11 minutes, the mix is "repeatedly stalled upon the turntables chassis, a moment of pure rhythmic vertigo, an assertion of sound's pure substance, of it's bone rattling sovereignty among the world of things."

It goes on to talk about how new this HUGE bass sound was... How it was only just now possible, without needles skipping out of grooves, the very air and floors and ceilings "under assault". We learn how Barrow and Utley started with sampling and their admiration of Public Enemy, an outfitted Chevy Caprice with a hella sound system, how the sampling began, who was doing it, how... And how (what was to become) Portishead started making their own samples to sample... So meta.

Honestly, it's REALLY good.  A little fragmented, but not hard to follow. If you like that sort of thing. I'm not sure how detailed it will become as far as straight up production notes go, but I'm grabbing all sorts of interesting things. In a discussion that included the fact that Portishead was now pressing their OWN LPs of 30 or so Portishead made loops to sample, and how they would "age" this same newly pressed vinyl:

"McDonald elaborates, 'There was a lot of tricks that we used to use with loops which were slightly out of time, where within the loop you'd have the next, the slight bit of the next bar within the loop so it gives a falling feel, but it's still a loop... A loop is normally 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4. But if you were to do a loop, if you go 1-2-3-4-51-2-3-45 you don't end up with a circular loop, you end up with a sort of egg-shaped loop. So it gives the track a roll."

so... I gotta go read some more. 
I'm still doing it wrong.
8.1    
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

User avatar
Julibee
Posts: 291
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Southern California

Post 22 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote:
 
JNeffLind wrote:
That title describes how I feel eavesdropping on the philosophy line of this thread. I thought I was well read (it's my only hobby besides music) but I'm more of a fiction guy I guess.
i like fiction, too. :)
I'm still doing it wrong.
8.1    
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

User avatar
Wook
Posts: 293
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 22 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote:THIS ONE seems to intertwine what was happening in and around Bristol (and Portishead) at the time, including the music scene and a little culture, and it does so with an interesting back and forth. It sort of hovers around the subject, picking up bits and pieces on the way, while slowly assembling a puzzle. There are infinite details of odd little things-- from discussions on minute specks of a sample to an astute description of the album cover/feature still that is 'Dummy'.
I must get this book. Thank you for inadventertly suggesting it. 
   

User avatar
JNeffLind
Posts: 976
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: So. Illinois, USA

Post 22 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote: A loop is normally 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4. But if you were to do a loop, if you go 1-2-3-4-51-2-3-45 you don't end up with a circular loop, you end up with a sort of egg-shaped loop. So it gives the track a roll."

 
Officially using this on my next song. Interesting idea that seems surprisingly usable. Seems like a great way to tweak a melodic theme. Curious to see how practical it turns out to be. 

User avatar
Gaja
Posts: 1001
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Germany

Post 22 Jan 2015

JNeffLind wrote: For me the goodbye was more to the forum and its users, though many have transferred here so it's all good).
GeorgeFeb wrote:
Forum is a trivial thing, really, people are the gist of all, so it's awesome that a lot of people moved here!
Namahs Amrak wrote:
Exactly. A church is not a building, it is the congregation, In this case, the church is now here. There's nothing to say goodbye to, but the manipulative corporation that hosted this crowd for but a moment in time. The future is already here and the past is being destroyed by Propellerhead for reasons unknown, unless you can decipher their riddles.

I offer them a heartfelt middle finger  :P
Just to be fair, you're being a bit manipulative yourself, karma :D
Cheers!
Fredhoven

User avatar
Namahs Amrak
Posts: 609
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Australia

Post 22 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote: Just to be fair, you're being a bit manipulative yourself, karma :D
Hey you  ! My role in this thread is to be a harbinger of peace and tranquility. To illuminate the troubled souls, and liberate them from negativity. I feel that I have succeeded in making you a better man this week, Fred, and in doing so we have all grown a little bit closer to a life of serenity.

Unless we're talking about the Propellerhead company, then I sometimes lose my shit :s0959:
My Words are my ART

User avatar
Julibee
Posts: 291
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Southern California

Post 22 Jan 2015

Julibee wrote: A loop is normally 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4. But if you were to do a loop, if you go 1-2-3-4-51-2-3-45 you don't end up with a circular loop, you end up with a sort of egg-shaped loop. So it gives the track a roll."

 
JNeffLind wrote:
Officially using this on my next song. Interesting idea that seems surprisingly usable. Seems like a great way to tweak a melodic theme. Curious to see how practical it turns out to be. 
Yeah, I'll be using pages 74, 80, 81....
I'm still doing it wrong.
8.1    
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

User avatar
Gaja
Posts: 1001
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Germany

Post 22 Jan 2015

Gaja wrote: Just to be fair, you're being a bit manipulative yourself, karma :D
Namahs Amrak wrote:
Hey you  ! My role in this thread is to be a harbinger of peace and tranquility. To illuminate the troubled souls, and liberate them from negativity. I feel that I have succeeded in making you a better man this week, Fred, and in doing so we have all grown a little bit closer to a life of serenity.

Unless we're talking about the Propellerhead company, then I sometimes lose my shit :s0959:
Hehe :)
Well you gave me a nudge at least. But since the discussion became about what should be banned from psytrance, here's a top ten list!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kIjFMQsb2S4
Cheers!
Fredhoven

User avatar
Namahs Amrak
Posts: 609
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Australia

Post 22 Jan 2015

Thanks for sharing, that gave me some genuine laughs for the day. Everything they say is true. Most psytrance is terrible. I cannot stand the monotonous beats myself, and every other cliche from the psytrance writing songbook make for childish compositions. My taste leads towards a fringe of psytrance, that incorporates more organic beats, world music, a touch of reggae, (or 'genuine' dub) and truly psychedelic passages that take the listener into the deep inner self.

Think Shpongle, Ott etc.





My Words are my ART

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests