PSQ-1684 Rack Extension Appreciation Thread

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
geronimo

31 Aug 2018

Flavolous wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Would be interesting if there was gate CV for each oscillator on VK2 though...
Possible with Expanse from Blamsoft .

FLVZ

01 Sep 2018

geronimo wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Flavolous wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Possible with Expanse from Blamsoft .

Not quite what I'd meant but thanks for pointing that out, Zero is also another good Slave for PSQ. Gonna have to take a look round the back of all my synths now :D

FLVZ

01 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Flavolous wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Send the gate to the Mixer slots through a Combinator. With Janitor you can smooth the gate to simulate an envelope or just use envelope generator which gets your gate as a trigger.
Not quite following, I'm probably being stupid. :oops:

Loque

01 Sep 2018

Flavolous wrote:
01 Sep 2018
Loque wrote:
31 Aug 2018

Send the gate to the Mixer slots through a Combinator. With Janitor you can smooth the gate to simulate an envelope or just use envelope generator which gets your gate as a trigger.
Maybe this makes it a bit more clear what i meant.
Attachments
movethevk2mixers.zip
(84.5 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

02 Sep 2018

I am, finally, in the PSQ-1684 club.
I have just had a trial session with it, which was inspiring and fun enough that I bought it.
I reason that even if I drift to another DAW in future, PSQ pretty much epitomises what Reason is best at - weird generative wind-it-up-and-set-it-off chaos - and Reason is still the playground for that kinda nonsense.

I will never use this device to its full potential. ^_^

FLVZ

03 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2018
Flavolous wrote:
01 Sep 2018

Yep, in over my head here. Although I can see what you've done, I have no idea whats going on, though I did manage to get a patch running. I think I'll stick to basic uses until I actually get my head around everything. Thanks for your efforts though :D

Faastwalker

03 Sep 2018

Flavolous wrote:
03 Sep 2018
Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2018

Yep, in over my head here. Although I can see what you've done, I have no idea whats going on, though I did manage to get a patch running. I think I'll stick to basic uses until I actually get my head around everything. Thanks for your efforts though :D
I'm in the same boat with this RE. But I'm totally sold on it. I love this sort of thing in Reason. Just need to invest some time in it .......... which I keep saying I will do but as of yet have not gotten around to it! Tonight! I'm going to do it tonight! ;) I'm going to start from scratch again with the manual & the Reason Expert YouTube videos & whatever else I can find;

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=psq-1684

theshoemaker

04 Sep 2018

I'm just missing pattern selection on psq :)
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Loque

04 Sep 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
04 Sep 2018
What exactly do you mean?
Reason12, Win10

artotaku

04 Sep 2018

I think he means something like that as we have in the other sequencers/players
patterns.png
patterns.png (9.92 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
which would be very welcome as it would allow to build a song structure or sequence variations with one PSQ.

As we are in the topic I have some further wishes:
- allow rest steps/switch on/off a step in the sequencer like in Thor´s sequencer
- one more Aux per step in sequencer
- scaling pulse signal
- PSQ as a player? Maybe a new device...

artotaku

04 Sep 2018

This time I had a go with the drum pattern parameters (DP dens, DP X and DP Y) merging them with other pulses. This allows to have control how much and when which pulse pattern is applied.

As with my other examples one sequencer (S1) plays the root note sequence which is sent to my bass instrument and other instruments where I build the chords on with the scales and chords player.

The rhythm for all non drum instruments is generated by pulse P1.

theshoemaker

04 Sep 2018

Loque wrote:
04 Sep 2018
theshoemaker wrote:
04 Sep 2018
What exactly do you mean?
artotaku wrote:
04 Sep 2018
I think he means something like that as we have in the other sequencers/players
patterns.png
which would be very welcome as it would allow to build a song structure or sequence variations with one PSQ.

As we are in the topic I have some further wishes:
- allow rest steps/switch on/off a step in the sequencer like in Thor´s sequencer
- one more Aux per step in sequencer
- scaling pulse signal
- PSQ as a player? Maybe a new device...
exactly. Different settings like with matrix.

And artotaku: As for PSQ as player ... just use the free CV Player Tap for this... it's brilliant. That's the reason rcbuse put it there :)
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

VariableX

08 Sep 2018

artotaku wrote:
22 Jul 2018

It took me a while to get something musical pleasing (at least to my ears) but this is what I have come up with in the last days.

All of the MIDI sequencing is done by PSQ except the vocals and the glitch loop. Monophonic notes are feed into a Sales & Chords player to generate chords which is the base for all other stuff. Voices are switched on/off with a Newtrol which is automated from Reason main sequencer.
This is brilliant and inspired me to get PSQ!
I have been playing around since buying it in the recent sales but not managed to come up with anything even remotely as good.
I popped it in a combinator with a 6:2 mixer and used automation in the sequencer to mute/unmute the different devices PSQ was running. My examples are on instagram @exceptioncodeinfinity.

VariableX

11 Sep 2018

Hi guys I am stuck trying to program the PSQ to do a simple drum and bass drum pattern, I am sure its possible but I just cannot figure it out. I can set it up to perform simple rhythms - four to the floor type stuff, thanks to reading the manual ( many times ) and watching some older youtube videos but am stumped when trying to set up the Pulse grid to do a simple DnB beat.

for a 1/16:
I would like to pulse A1 on beat 1 and 11 (i will connect to a BD)
Pulse A2 on beat 5 and 13 (Snare)
Pulse A3 on Odd beats 1,3,5 etc ... (I can do this )
After which my fun can begin :-)

Can anyone help me to set up A1 and A2 ?

VariableX

11 Sep 2018

fretshot7 wrote:
11 Sep 2018

for a 1/16:

I guess its just A2 I need help with as A1 can be set to Division 11 Count Dn...
but then again if I wanted to fire A1 also on beat 15 this would then be a problem for my PSQ skills ...

kungubu

11 Sep 2018

fretshot7 wrote:
11 Sep 2018
fretshot7 wrote:
11 Sep 2018

for a 1/16:

I guess its just A2 I need help with as A1 can be set to Division 11 Count Dn...
but then again if I wanted to fire A1 also on beat 15 this would then be a problem for my PSQ skills ...
A2 division 8 - count down - delay 4
if you want an extra beat on 15 take pulse B1 and set division 16 and delay 14 and adress it to grid input A1. I assume you reset set to 16. An if you want 1 an 11 you should have division on A1 set to 10 and count to down.

VariableX

11 Sep 2018

[/quote]

if you want an extra beat on 15 take pulse B1 and set division 16 and delay 14 and adress it to grid input A1. I assume you reset set to 16. An if you want 1 an 11 you should have division on A1 set to 10 and count to down.
[/quote]

I have been bogged down for nearly two days trying to work this out :cry: thankyou very much :D

Thanks for correcting me on A1 too :-)

I kinda understand how you have done it.... i think :?

thanks!

kungubu

11 Sep 2018

fretshot7 wrote:
11 Sep 2018
[/quote]

I have been bogged down for nearly two days trying to work this out :cry: thankyou very much :D

Thanks for correcting me on A1 too :-)

I kinda understand how you have done it.... i think :?

thanks!
[/quote]

That kind of stuff is of course much easier to do on regular gate sequencer. What I like whit PSQ is how you can combine different pulses with different resets and different amounts of randomness to get something to evolve and move.
But if you're not used to clock dividers it takes a while to grasp how it works. No matter where yo set a division you will get a pulse on 1. And if you just want an extra pulse on say every 37th you have to use one pulse for that and delay it 36 pulses (with means you have to have a division above 36 and use another pulse to reset it on 64 - if you don't have the global reset on 64). The matrix is really useful in this way.

VariableX

11 Sep 2018

Thanks again, I am so glad for your help. I believe I understand, I have attached a pic of the simple DrumNBass pattern you explained to me, maybe someone else will appreciate it... thanks again :-)
Attachments
psq_drumnbass.jpg
psq_drumnbass.jpg (178.34 KiB) Viewed 3573 times

artotaku

12 Sep 2018

kungubu wrote:
11 Sep 2018
That kind of stuff is of course much easier to do on regular gate sequencer. What I like whit PSQ is how you can combine different pulses with different resets and different amounts of randomness to get something to evolve and move.
But if you're not used to clock dividers it takes a while to grasp how it works. No matter where yo set a division you will get a pulse on 1. And if you just want an extra pulse on say every 37th you have to use one pulse for that and delay it 36 pulses (with means you have to have a division above 36 and use another pulse to reset it on 64 - if you don't have the global reset on 64). The matrix is really useful in this way.
Excactly. Some of the conventional patterns are a bit hard to do and a normal step sequencer wins. Even euclidean rhythms get boring fast. It gets interesting if multiple pulses with different algorithms are mixed or switched between.

What is also nice if you use a pulse (say P1) as a gate and the pitch of a sequencer (say S1) as CV input for instrument but the sequencer S1 is moved by another pulse (say P2). That way the rhythm (gate) is kept on the same pitch until it is moved to another pitch by P2.

I think all of these tricks and more have been used by the modular synth guys for years but it´s fun to build it from scratch.

artotaku

12 Sep 2018

Flavolous wrote:
31 Aug 2018
This thread got me intrigued in the capabilities of PSQ. So I thought I'd download the trial and play around with it in combination with VK2, my mind was blown, instabuy! Now I can press randomise and just sit there for hours listening to VK2 roar at me :lol: Would be interesting if there was gate CV for each oscillator on VK2 though...

Hey, you cheated! I see a Drum Sequencer player ;-)
Well, I also did. Shamelessly used a sales and chords player to build chords instead of doing it the hard way by using multiple PSQ sequencers or oscillators with different pitches.

artotaku

12 Sep 2018

Flavolous wrote:
31 Aug 2018
This thread got me intrigued in the capabilities of PSQ. So I thought I'd download the trial and play around with it in combination with VK2, my mind was blown, instabuy! Now I can press randomise and just sit there for hours listening to VK2 roar at me :lol: Would be interesting if there was gate CV for each oscillator on VK2 though...

Hey, you cheated! I spotted a Drum Sequencer player :D
Well, I also did. Shamelessly used a sales and chords player to build chords instead of doing it the hard way by using multiple PSQ sequencers or oscillators with different pitches.

FLVZ

13 Sep 2018

artotaku wrote:
12 Sep 2018
Flavolous wrote:
31 Aug 2018

Hey, you cheated! I spotted a Drum Sequencer player :D
not even going to lie. my experience with psq thus far has been all about creating accidental techno by abusing the randomise button and seeing how it sounds with a filthy 4 to the floor :lol:

msbevel

14 Sep 2018

artotaku wrote:
22 Jul 2018
I would like to see what people come up with when using the PSQ-1684 RE as a sequencer.

The device seems to be daunting at first since it is not your normal bread and butter step sequencer. But once you have grasped the Euclidean algorithms and how to sequence drums with the pulses and let the playhead run berserk in the sequencer section you are in the game. It´s a real power house.

It took me a while to get something musical pleasing (at least to my ears) but this is what I have come up with in the last days.

All of the MIDI sequencing is done by PSQ except the vocals and the glitch loop. Monophonic notes are feed into a Sales & Chords player to generate chords which is the base for all other stuff. Voices are switched on/off with a Newtrol which is automated from Reason main sequencer.

Notice how the lead at the end is sequenced (S4) by overlapping regions of other sequencers which leads to some unexpected melodies.

Dude this is amazing. I have the PSQ but I don't fully understand it yet.

Bumbum

15 Sep 2018

i like my bassdrums with reverb and distortion but how to keep it fresh,so not every single bassdrum tail is similar or static?
i was wondering this looong but then i remembered that psq has "grid in " so i feed bassdrum gate to "grid in" and randomize all sequencer, so a1 pulse gate runs all 8 sequencers,but all of them have different start, end and move values, every sequencer has 2 cv out states (pitch and aux) so now i have with every kick different "cv scenes".
then just connect these cv outs to your effects / combinator

awesome!
and i once thought that 8 sequencers is too much :D

• Information