Reason Compact Feature Requests

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ted Pikul

29 Aug 2018

I think that most of you who have tried out Reason Compact agree that it is a little too compact for most music-making purposes. The Reason Compact team clearly plans to add more devices and features in the future. Let's offer them our advice on which features to prioritize. Here is my list--
  • Multiple tracks and mixer
  • MIDI in
  • Drum sampler
  • General sampler (like NN-19)
  • Reverb and delay send effects on the mixer
  • More scale options for the keyboard (chromatic, in particular)
  • More loop lengths (16-bar, 32-bar)
  • Horizontal piano roll

Ted Pikul

30 Aug 2018

Since there do not seem to be many iOS folks here, I started a parallel thread on the Audiobus forum:
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/2824 ... e-requests

Some additional features people suggest there:
  • Audio unit compatibility
  • User preset saving/loading
  • Automation

chimp_spanner

30 Aug 2018

I'm not 100% sure on what the vision is for RC but I imagine it to be an idea starter that will transition seamlessly to Reason, and so for that reason I think it unlikely that it'll get AU. TBH if it comes with some decent ported versions of Reason synths, I wouldn't need AU anyway!

But that does naturally lead onto some interesting questions like, if we get a sampler will it allow custom files, or will it be a ROMpler? If the former, then will the RC file format be self contained like Reason projects? Who knooooooows!

joeyluck

30 Aug 2018

I know this might not be a popular choice for others, but I'd like to see ID8 added. I think it would give us a little of everything, including drums, and would be perfect for helping sketch ideas.

The way I use the app now is I write a chord progression or melody and then import into Reason. Sometimes I make changes to the Europa patch inside Reason and other times I simply change the instrument. So that's how I get to thinking about having ID8 in the app...since it's so easy to change the instrument once imported into Reason.

Of course, I'd like to see other synths like Malström and Subtractor as well.

Ted Pikul

30 Aug 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
30 Aug 2018
I'm not 100% sure on what the vision is for RC but I imagine it to be an idea starter that will transition seamlessly to Reason, and so for that reason I think it unlikely that it'll get AU. TBH if it comes with some decent ported versions of Reason synths, I wouldn't need AU anyway!
Many people in the iPad music scene already have their preferred workflows (with Cubasis, AUM, Beatmaker, etc.). They would prefer to see a tool like this slot into their existing workflows as another sound generator plug-in.

As a Reason user, though, I would be content with having a standalone Reason sketchpad. If Reason Compact had a drum sampler and basic sampler/rompler, along with Europa, I think it could be a decent tool for developing ideas on the go.

Propellerhead may have difficulty appealing to every user with this one. The iPad people want one thing, the existing Reason users want another, and then the casual iPhone music dabblers want something else.

theshoemaker

30 Aug 2018

No sketchpad. want to create full tracks on Compact. And then polish the mix on Desktop
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

chimp_spanner

30 Aug 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
30 Aug 2018
No sketchpad. want to create full tracks on Compact. And then polish the mix on Desktop
Not saying it's not possible but I gave up that dream a long time ago! And if I'm being totally honest, some kind of port of Reason (even if it was more like 5 than 10) was my last hope for it becoming a reality. I find iOS really tedious to work on, either because of it's dumb file system limitations or because the vast majority of apps opt for scenes and patterns instead of a proper timeline editor (Nanostudio 2 might still deliver but who knows when that'll show up). So I dunno. I'm still very interested in what RC becomes but there's simply no substitute for big-boy Reason for me and I don't think there will be for a while yet!

Aosta

30 Aug 2018

Though I think it would be amazing to have reason on an ipad I think korg gadget had that sewn up a long time ago.
For props to really deliver it would have to compete with gadget and then offer something beyond and that is a long way off, I think they simply missed the boat on the mobile platform.
Tend the flame

theshoemaker

31 Aug 2018

Aosta wrote:
30 Aug 2018
Though I think it would be amazing to have reason on an ipad I think korg gadget had that sewn up a long time ago.
For props to really deliver it would have to compete with gadget and then offer something beyond and that is a long way off, I think they simply missed the boat on the mobile platform.
Guys you are way to pessimistic about this. The question is whether they want to deliver a full blown DAW with Reason Compact.

As it's layed out right now, it looks like another 8 bar wasted toy, but I don't give up on full tracks with scenes and more devices. They promised, let's just wait. I think we will see some surprises over the next 6 month

theshoemaker

31 Aug 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
30 Aug 2018
theshoemaker wrote:
30 Aug 2018
Not saying it's not possible but I gave up that dream a long time ago! And if I'm being totally honest, some kind of port of Reason (even if it was more like 5 than 10) was my last hope for it becoming a reality. I find iOS really tedious to work on, either because of it's dumb file system limitations or because the vast majority of apps opt for scenes and patterns instead of a proper timeline editor (Nanostudio 2 might still deliver but who knows when that'll show up). So I dunno. I'm still very interested in what RC becomes but there's simply no substitute for big-boy Reason for me and I don't think there will be for a while yet!
Honestly I don't want to see a port, that would be crap. The UI and workflow like it is right now is brilliant. They just have to add more to it. Im pretty sure we will see Dr. Octo Rex soon, as they already ported the code to gadget on iOS

ljekio

31 Aug 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
31 Aug 2018
Honestly I don't want to see a port, that would be crap. The UI and workflow like it is right now is brilliant. They just have to add more to it. Im pretty sure we will see Dr. Octo Rex soon, as they already ported the code to gadget on iOS
How about mighty Thor? That released some years ago but where is Inter-App Audio compatibility?
Without inter-app it just synth for itself.
And to pay for the locked capabilities of Europa will be strange, if there midi-input not presented and what will be with sequencer nobody knows.

scratchnsnifff

31 Aug 2018

I’d like my harmonic minor scales and chords :)

The ability to scale the keyboard
At least make it so it displays two octaves (figure has this ability)

Add a bit more modulation maybe maybe a 4 slot mod matrix? Something small, we have all these mod sources but It’s nice to have. An envelope and an LFO on the filter

Would be nice to see some of the more simple harmonic engine modifiers. Random gain, odd/even, and or ensemble

I know I said to add parsec, but now that I think of it maybe the Px7 would be easier to implement

The ability to have insert effects (distortion, chorus,phaser, and a filter)

Idk if they would add Thor but that would be awesome I think that’s doubtful as they already have it as an iPad only app

Combinator 2 with more matrix slots, input text to sequencer, right click to are o rotaries, velocity/random as matrix source

Oh shoot, wrong thread
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

theshoemaker

31 Aug 2018

ljekio wrote:
31 Aug 2018
theshoemaker wrote:
31 Aug 2018
How about mighty Thor? That released some years ago but where is Inter-App Audio compatibility?
Without inter-app it just synth for itself.
And to pay for the locked capabilities of Europa will be strange, if there midi-input not presented and what will be with sequencer nobody knows.
Europa is just fine for me, if they add more of it's features plus the modulation matrix. I love the sequencer. The only thing left for me right now is scenes for creating many of this 8 bar loops and tracks with more devices, add a kong and another synth (most up on the wishlist is Parsec). But to be honest, not really necessary, I think Europa is equally good for lead sounds. Not really interested in Thor, as I find its workflow awkward. Thor is the least of all synths I'd love to use in Reason Compact. I also have it on iPad, but not using it

EnochLight

02 Sep 2018

Ted Pikul wrote:
29 Aug 2018
I think that most of you who have tried out Reason Compact agree that it is a little too compact for most music-making purposes. The Reason Compact team clearly plans to add more devices and features in the future. Let's offer them our advice on which features to prioritize.
Great thread idea! Here's mine:
  • As we get multiple tracks when more devices are added, we need a proper mixer (perhaps an SSL-type "Compact")?
  • MIDI in - this is absolutely crucial. I want to be able to use compact MIDI controllers if I'm away for a weekend.
  • More than 8 bars, and the ability to loop a set number of bars for perfecting a clip's data.
  • The ability to keep the metronome on while playing back a performance while not in record mode.
And while we're on the addition of instruments, I'm really hoping for:
  • Instrument: Kong Compact. Give us access to at least 8 pads (though 16 would be optimal), with 1 "page/screen" dedicated to a 16 pads so you can thumb/finger perform a live recording. At least 8 pads should be able to sample on the fly using your iPhone's built-in mic. Basic sample editing features, including envelope (see iMaschine for reference). Access to analog modelling modules as well as a select few of standard Kong presets. Nurse Rex - maybe using Korg's Stockholm version of Dr. Octo as a guide. Kong's built-in effects are required, but an additional compressor should be optional for the entire device. When opened in Reason (full), it would just open as a Kong with maybe a Pulverizer afterwards. Include Drum Sequencer with an iOS-friendly screen for tapping in patterns. Make it an IAP for the full version, or maybe offer it for free for a set time in order to coax people into downloading Reason Compact.
  • Instrument: A second (or 3rd) Europa Compact. All the work has already been done, and it will allow people to add bass + lead + drums, etc.
  • Instrument: Grain Compact. Using the work done on Europa Compact as a base, offer a similar approach to Grain. Include a curated selection of presets, but allow sampling on the fly via the iPhone's built-in mic. Offer the same Players as optional modules. This would be a much more valuable device as a mobile sampler than (say for instance) NN19 or NNXT, as Grain lends itself to experimentation and sampling on-the-fly. Offer some sample editing, perhaps using Umpf's approach or just go all in and offer Reason's entire built-in sample editor, since it's so rudimentary to begin with, this shouldn't be hard at all. :puf_bigsmile:
  • Feature: Audio Recording. Offer at least 1 audio track (but preferably 3). We should be able to record vocal ideas on top of our mobile creations. They could use Take's approach, but honestly I'd like to see a more Reason-like offering. Future updates could add a Neptune in the chain, and as the hardware gets faster, offer Reason's Audio Pitch Editor - that would set it apart from anything out there. To be able to plug your guitar in and record would be hugely useful as well, but we'll need to see effect modules appear to make that truly useful, IMHO (amp sims, anyone)?
  • Feature: Rack Extensions. This could truly take things to the next level. Some curated VST are already available as mobile versions in other mobile apps, so Reason Compact needs an ecosystem as well. They'd be IAP's obviously, and offer an additional revenue stream for devs, though I'd expect if you already own the RE, you should get the Compact version automatically for free. Buying an RE Compact would also get you the desktop version.
That's all I've got for now. Hanna has her work cut out for her! ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Faastwalker

02 Sep 2018

Great suggestions, EnochLight. That's very much along the lines of what flashed through my mind the first time I saw Reason Compact appear on my YouTube subscriptions list. Alas, after watching the video it was painfully clear it was a long, long way from being this. But I think this is the sort of place it needs to get to before it can actually be called 'Reason Compact'.

I've deleted the App now as it seems pretty pointless to me in it's current state. Hopefully it will get there though. The export to Reason function was the one beacon of interest for me. Just waiting for something a bit more substantial & worthwhile exporting than an eight bar Europa Lite loop! I'm quietly optimistic but not holding my breath. Could be a very long wait I fear.

Steedus
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2018

At least give us the ability to add more instruments/tracks (even if only more instances of Europa currently).. Seems rather pointless at the moment, only being able to have the one instrument.

Or was I just missing something obvious? I've deleted the app as well, so can't check.

Faastwalker

02 Sep 2018

........ Just received an new email from Propellerhead. Subject line, 'Ready to take your music to the next level?'. Main body text, 'Unlock your full creative potential with Reason Compact'. Are they talking about the same App?! :? I appreciate their enthusiasm. But maybe just over stating Reason Compact's current capabilities just a little bit! :lol:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2018

Steedus wrote:
02 Sep 2018
At least give us the ability to add more instruments/tracks (even if only more instances of Europa currently).. Seems rather pointless at the moment, only being able to have the one instrument.

Or was I just missing something obvious? I've deleted the app as well, so can't check.
Even two tracks would be great. (With different sounds of course)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

03 Sep 2018

Right so, this is a feature request thread. We all know Reason Compact is missing features you all want. Please chime in and share the features you need!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Faastwalker

03 Sep 2018

EnochLight wrote:
03 Sep 2018
Right so, this is a feature request thread. We all know Reason Compact is missing features you all want. Please chime in and share the features you need!
What you suggested earlier in the thread. Some great ideas there. Also audio to MIDI for capturing ideas recorded with your phones mic & converted to MIDI notes. That would be a really handy feature for when an idea comes to mind whilst out & about.

Also, if & when it gets to something like the App you suggested through your feature requests, I'd be happy if it was a $10-$20 or more App we could just buy outright. I'd prefer that to endless AIP's per feature. It's concerning that already there are AIP's to unlock what little is there. Thus another 'feature' suggestion for me would that it be a paid for App, maybe with point upgrade payments as opposed to endless AIP's for every added feature going forward.

ljekio

03 Sep 2018

There only 4/4 signature as at the figure.
It can be tweakable. And when chromatic scale with one color keys without piano is very uncomfortable. And unlimited bars in the loop.

tomusurp

11 Aug 2023

I want to start using a mobile DAW, just tried reason compact. Although I’m impressed, as others have mentioned the 8 bar restriction is disappointing. And this thread is a few years old. Honestly I would love to see them make light versions of the most popular rack devices, effects, utilizes, and players. I was going to say a baby redrum but I like the Rytmik

They should make a poll for top 3 on each category, with the exception of instruments having a bit extra.
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TomUsurp
https://www.tomusurp.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

EnochLight

11 Aug 2023

tomusurp wrote:
11 Aug 2023
I want to start using a mobile DAW, just tried reason compact. Although I’m impressed, as others have mentioned the 8 bar restriction is disappointing. And this thread is a few years old. Honestly I would love to see them make light versions of the most popular rack devices, effects, utilizes, and players. I was going to say a baby redrum but I like the Rytmik

They should make a poll for top 3 on each category, with the exception of instruments having a bit extra.
Unfortunately, Reason Compact is pretty much a dead app as far as development is concerned. To my knowledge, they don't really have a mobile app team anymore, the Product Manager of Reason Compact was re-assigned to a different role (I'm not sure if she even works there anymore), and it's unlikely we'll see any new movement in Reason Compact as far as new features are concerned. It was indelibly tied to Reason DAW standalone as a tool, and development on Reason DAW standalone moves at a snail's pace as it is.

If you're looking for a true mobile DAW, then you'd have better luck with Cubasis, or if you're a recent iPad owner - Logic.

tomusurp

11 Aug 2023

Oh damn I actually really like the app. It's very fun and easy to use. But I am looking for a complete mobile DAW as I'd like to have the ability to make more beats and songs on the go whereas I've always been working on laptops.

Right now I have an iPhone. Thinking about getting an iPad specifically for mobile production. Now, I'll check those apps out, but do you know anything about mobile production? I want to be able to also mix and master music on a mobile setup. On my current setup I have some of the best plugins. For iOS DAWs, are third party plugins available like VST or AU? Or only the effects that are built inside each mobile daw? I'm also not opposed to some AI mastering, I feel like those services are growing in demand on mobile. I will also need a good quality interface and microphone for the iphone or ipad. Any suggestions? I'm going to check gearspace and youtube recommendations now
EnochLight wrote:
11 Aug 2023
tomusurp wrote:
11 Aug 2023

Unfortunately, Reason Compact is pretty much a dead app as far as development is concerned. To my knowledge, they don't really have a mobile app team anymore, the Product Manager of Reason Compact was re-assigned to a different role (I'm not sure if she even works there anymore), and it's unlikely we'll see any new movement in Reason Compact as far as new features are concerned. It was indelibly tied to Reason DAW standalone as a tool, and development on Reason DAW standalone moves at a snail's pace as it is.

If you're looking for a true mobile DAW, then you'd have better luck with Cubasis, or if you're a recent iPad owner - Logic.
"The hottest in the matrix"
My music:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TomUsurp
https://www.tomusurp.com

:reason: :re: :refill: :rt:

• Information