(vocal electronic/pop/indie?) EP of songs with words!

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
jayhosking

28 Aug 2018

G'morning, all! Today I'm happy to release a sad-sack EP of vocal songs mixed with acoustic and electronic instruments. It's my last release of a productive summer!

Made with Reason, using a number of REs and VSTs, and even my own proto-Grain solution using an NNXT and sampling. Happy to break down any sounds/effects/etc. if anyone would like.

Please take a listen when you have a moment!

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2018

Incredible! Is that you singing? On some songs it reminds me of a less "raspy" Shaun Morgan. All solid tracks.

I've been very unproductive this summer. It's was just too hot to focus on anything! I usually get more done during fall/winter/spring.

jayhosking

28 Aug 2018

aeox wrote:
28 Aug 2018
Incredible! Is that you singing? On some songs it reminds me of a less "raspy" Shaun Morgan. All solid tracks.

I've been very unproductive this summer. It's was just too hot to focus on anything! I usually get more done during fall/winter/spring.
Yeah, that's me singing. Thanks! I have no idea who Shaun Morgan is, but I imagine that he sounds like a real mope, too?

And get cracking! Your record was awesome. I'm looking forward to more from you.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2018

Totally excellent. Reminiscent of James Yuill if I should make a comparison but not the same. Stands by itself. Magic voice and lovely harmonies. Really great. More!!! :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

AS7RO

28 Aug 2018

This is beautiful! you have an amazing voice dude.

If only I could sing my songs but instead I add tons of extra elements

This is a beautiful EP.
What are your further plans with it?
Why are you reading this?

jayhosking

28 Aug 2018

MrFigg wrote:
28 Aug 2018
Totally excellent. Reminiscent of James Yuill if I should make a comparison but not the same. Stands by itself. Magic voice and lovely harmonies. Really great. More!!! :).
Hey thanks! No idea who James Yuill is, but judging from my one-minute search on wikipedia, it sounds like there might be a similarity. I'll take a listen as soon as I'm back somewhere with decent bandwidth.

AS7RO wrote:
28 Aug 2018
This is beautiful! you have an amazing voice dude.

If only I could sing my songs but instead I add tons of extra elements

This is a beautiful EP.
What are your further plans with it?
Thanks! After years of vocal music, I was pretty sick of my voice, hence me mainly releasing instrumental music for the last couple of years. As for "plans", uh, I don't know? Nothing? I suppose I should post it on the FB Reason groups, and do a million other things. I'm not exactly a pillar of self-promotion, haha. Any suggestions from you are welcome!

Some Desperate Glory

29 Aug 2018

Oh Lord, this is a fantastic EP. Listened a couple of times! May need to send you a few Canadian dollars to own up. What is it, like 4 CAD per USD? ;-D

But seriously, this is great stuff. Amazing songwriting, great voice, very interesting sound you have. It is like there is a car accident between The Postal Service, Early Radiohead, Mumford and Sons and you're the outcome. Bravo!
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

jayhosking

30 Aug 2018

Some Desperate Glory wrote:
29 Aug 2018
Oh Lord, this is a fantastic EP. Listened a couple of times! May need to send you a few Canadian dollars to own up. What is it, like 4 CAD per USD? ;-D

But seriously, this is great stuff. Amazing songwriting, great voice, very interesting sound you have. It is like there is a car accident between The Postal Service, Early Radiohead, Mumford and Sons and you're the outcome. Bravo!
Oh hey thanks! I really appreciate you taking the time to listen.

Pingafuego

02 Sep 2018

Excellent EP! Great singing and arranging!

How many tracks are used in each song?

jayhosking

02 Sep 2018

Pingafuego wrote:
02 Sep 2018
Excellent EP! Great singing and arranging!

How many tracks are used in each song?
Hey thanks! Off-hand, I'm not sure, but the instruments are pretty clearly defined in each song; I usually only use a track if it's going to be present for a substantial portion, not just for a few hits in the song. Track 1, for example, has that NNXT sample, the 808 bass/kick, a mangled snare sample, the Red70 arpeggio, and vocals. So four tracks plus singing (seven tracks total). Track 2 has acoustic guitar, an eXpanse plucked thing, the 808 bass, another mangled snare sample, and a Solaris arpeggio, plus two vocals (again, seven tracks). So I guess it's all pretty sparse?

Thanks again for listening!

Quiloc Lim

02 Sep 2018

Ugh... this is so well done. The production, composition, singing, lyrics, etc.... It's really good without being over the top. I'm just trying to say I'm a wee bit jealous. :-) Keep up the good work.

jayhosking

02 Sep 2018

Quiloc Lim wrote:
02 Sep 2018
Ugh... this is so well done. The production, composition, singing, lyrics, etc.... It's really good without being over the top. I'm just trying to say I'm a wee bit jealous. :-) Keep up the good work.
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. I’ll look out for your stuff on here so I can be jealous in return!

Troublemecca

07 Sep 2018

not much to say that hasn't been said already... these tracks are superb, i love how you blend the acoustic with the electronic, sounds like folk music from 2045, lol

jayhosking

10 Sep 2018

Troublemecca wrote:
07 Sep 2018
not much to say that hasn't been said already... these tracks are superb, i love how you blend the acoustic with the electronic, sounds like folk music from 2045, lol
Hah, thanks! I look forward to... sci-folk? folk futurism?

Troublemecca

20 Sep 2018

No that's what it is now... In 2045 it'll just be folk, lol

Erberderber

23 Sep 2018

Great stuff, really really well done.

falkbossa

24 Sep 2018

Very, very welk done! The bass sounds fantastic!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

TheGodOfRainbows

25 Sep 2018

"sad-sack EP" ?! Wat? This is gorgeous. I have a ways to go before I can create something this mature and, I don't know if adult is the right word, but, adult. And soulful. Great stuff.

jayhosking

26 Sep 2018

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
25 Sep 2018
"sad-sack EP" ?! Wat? This is gorgeous. I have a ways to go before I can create something this mature and, I don't know if adult is the right word, but, adult. And soulful. Great stuff.
Hey thanks! I was aiming for "adult music made by adults". I'm pretty tired of "teenager music made by adults", to be honest.

Nevertheless, I would still call it "sad-sack" music!

But thanks kindly for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

jayhosking

26 Sep 2018

falkbossa wrote:
24 Sep 2018
Very, very welk done! The bass sounds fantastic!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Thanks so much! I just wanted to point out that the bass on tracks 1-3 is a Reason stock sound (I think it's called "808 bass"), and it has some nice tweakable parameters on the combinator. You should try it out!

• Information