Reason 10.2 with workflow improvements. - OUT NOW

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
daisky

23 Aug 2018

This is great. Thanks! Now Resolution / 4k / facelift please please please!

joeyluck

24 Aug 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
23 Aug 2018
makke wrote:
23 Aug 2018
Couple nice things, but still no automatically returning playing cursor :lol:
Here’s a secret: I’m a pretty good listener. This is now an option in preferences ;)

:D

dezma

24 Aug 2018

Any news on sample drag and drop from reason browser to VST and midi VST ?

Popey
Competition Winner

24 Aug 2018

This is brilliant stuff by props and 2 of the main things i really wished reason had (ghost lanes and moving multiple faders)will now become a reality, these will really speed up my workflow. Its great to hear too that props listen to peoples opinions on here and look to implement what their customers want. Dont want to be greedy but perhaps considering implementing freeze tracks in future updates would be fantastic.

geronimo

24 Aug 2018

And a synchro-function with video files, punch-in/out ?

scratchnsnifff

24 Aug 2018

AS7RO wrote:
23 Aug 2018
Great support implementations, and seeing how they named it 10.2, I reckon they will implement plenty more updates that will include minor flow improvements.

Hopefully we will see next:
- Track and Channel Grouping
- More Combinator Buttons
- 4k Compatibility
- More piano roll improvements
Don’t forget the combinator needs more than 10 matrix slots per device. This is one of the most important unforeseen things (also text input to sequencer!)

Try to fully program a moving bass or pad patch in a combinator with all the modulation and wt positions, effects etc all using expanse or Europa or even Thor.

Matrix slots for combinator!!!! :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

zumBeispiel

24 Aug 2018

Meanwhile, work on VST performance is ongoing...
I'd like to use Jam Origin Midi Guitar into Reason.
Directly, without loopbe or such.

JOMG.jpg

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 Aug 2018

NekujaK wrote:
23 Aug 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
23 Aug 2018

I don't get this one as Reason does this anyway..
Only if the Rack is open/visible. If it's minimized, no jump to device from sequencer.
Arh, I sort of see that. Could be that I have them both open most of the time.

chimp_spanner

24 Aug 2018

Jump to device from seq will save me SO much damn time. You don't even know.

Ejectzero

24 Aug 2018

Wow these improvements are amazing! It's the little things in life :)

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Aug 2018

joeyluck wrote:
24 Aug 2018
MattiasHG wrote:
23 Aug 2018

Here’s a secret: I’m a pretty good listener. This is now an option in preferences ;)

:D
:lol: :lol:

scratchnsnifff

24 Aug 2018

Just a few thoughts
I was thinking that maybe by the end of the 10 cycle, after 10.5 up to 11
That it just might have enough features added to be considered the biggest update.
Does anyone have a list of features, sdk improvements are counted imo

Also does anyone else think that Reason will get to a point where all of the main features that people ask for, are implemented? For example high Rez graphics/scaling, combinator update, dark mixer theme, automation curves, video player( a recent idea iv seen popping up more and more), any and all audio editing stuf like tAp to transient or what ever it’s called, and finally new oscillators/filters inside of Thor +unison/stereo routing by default. Also this feature could be considered as updates to existing synths and effects new and old

To be honest, when thinking in the long term this list of staple features really isn’t that long. I feel like the props could easily knock out most if not all of the features I mentioned (I tried to think of what I have seen asked for most). At the rate that the props are moving, wel have all of the big flashy and fun features sooner than we might think

Small thought rant over, thanks props and it is this time of the year I look forward to the most. I would have paid for ghosts notes and the add device feature is something that I didn’t know how much I’d want :D

chimp_spanner

24 Aug 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
24 Aug 2018
Just a few thoughts
That it just might have enough features added to be considered the biggest update.

Also does anyone else think that Reason will get to a point where all of the main features that people ask for, are implemented? For example high Rez graphics/scaling, combinator update, dark mixer theme, automation curves, video player( a recent idea iv seen popping up more and more), any and all audio editing stuf like tAp to transient or what ever it’s called, and finally new oscillators/filters inside of Thor +unison/stereo routing by default. Also this feature could be considered as updates to existing synths and effects new and old

To be honest, when thinking in the long term this list of staple features really isn’t that long. I feel like the props could easily knock out most if not all of the features I mentioned (I tried to think of what I have seen asked for most). At the rate that the props are moving, wel have all of the big flashy and fun features sooner than we might think

Small thought rant over, thanks props and it is this time of the year I look forward to the most. I would have paid for ghosts notes and the add device feature is something that I didn’t know how much I’d want :D
I might be off the mark but I feel like some of the delays in seeing things we'd like are due to not wanting to break compatibility. I mean if you think about it it's pretty remarkable we're able to load a Reason 1 project like it was made yesterday. Loading SX or VST projects in Cubase would be a nightmare (not that I'd want to!). So I think changes to staple devices like Thor...not so likely. UNLESS...they keep Thor as a classic/legacy device, and then just make a Thor MKII. Not unlike a real studio I suppose. Plenty of people have multiple revisions of the same hardware. That's just an example, though. Personally I really like Thor as is. It's got character, and it's still a super solid instrument.

But yeah I mean I guess it's just the philosophy of PH/Reason. Compare that to a company like Apple who make changes to things like plugin standards and OS and basically say if you want to update, deal with it. Maybe there might come a time when we do have to part ways with this iteration of the program, and new versions run alongside it and there's it requires a little work from us to port our projects over. Some people would be fine with it. Some wouldn't.

scratchnsnifff

24 Aug 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
24 Aug 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
24 Aug 2018
Just a few thoughts

I might be off the mark but I feel like some of the delays in seeing things we'd like are due to not wanting to break compatibility. I mean if you think about it it's pretty remarkable we're able to load a Reason 1 project like it was made yesterday. Loading SX or VST projects in Cubase would be a nightmare (not that I'd want to!). So I think changes to staple devices like Thor...not so likely. UNLESS...they keep Thor as a classic/legacy device, and then just make a Thor MKII. Not unlike a real studio I suppose. Plenty of people have multiple revisions of the same hardware. That's just an example, though. Personally I really like Thor as is. It's got character, and it's still a super solid instrument.

But yeah I mean I guess it's just the philosophy of PH/Reason. Compare that to a company like Apple who make changes to things like plugin standards and OS and basically say if you want to update, deal with it. Maybe there might come a time when we do have to part ways with this iteration of the program, and new versions run alongside it and there's it requires a little work from us to port our projects over. Some people would be fine with it. Some wouldn't.
While I see your point, and understand where you are coming from. I really don’t think adding a couple of oscillator forms to Thor would break it. Look at parsec, Europa ( that being the best example of a big feature added without breaking anything)

Maybe the unison and any internal feature like that, would break or make it hard

But adding a sampler, user wavetable oscillator and different filters (phaser filter, band reject filter with adjustable bandwidth, various modeled analog filters etc) isn’t reinventing Thor at all.

I feel like it’s about as dangerous to the backwards compatibility as when the rv700 went to mk2 or when all the sampler type devices got live sampling

It can be done, I think they are just trying to address other issues. Also I do believe the dude who designed Thor still works there.
Maybe adding something like an additive oscillator with bin #s and having the ability to modulate partials and their amplitude wouldn’t be sensible. But not impossible. I think what I’m trying to get at, is that they really can update the legacy devices if they wanted to. But other things really should come first, hopefully the dude who made Thor still works there and is willing to do it once he gets the ok from the higher ups
Interesting conversation for sure man

motuscott

24 Aug 2018

Is it just me or does this update make the Reason Sound more sparkly?
Oh wait. It hasn't happened yet...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

KGB

24 Aug 2018

:o

After having higher resolution, adding ghost lanes was my 2nd biggest request. Adjusting multiple faders is a great addition. I'm confident that 10.5 will bring higher resolution and other features.

Oh and return to playing cursor.. :o

Hydrosonic

24 Aug 2018

It's nice.... but tbh PH are so slow into the game that others already do this, where is TRACK FREEZE??? probably Reason 15 will add it.. Where is Bezier Curves? Reason 14... These guys don't seem to care that they are 5 years later for anything. It has got to the point of only using reason for a few of its features, its like a side DAW that I rarely bother to open just for a 1 of its currently implimented things.

I've moved on to Studio One Pro 4, as PH are just too slow. I only rewire Reason thesedays.....

Zac

24 Aug 2018

Obviously I'm guessing here but I'd be very surprised that while the 'task force' are working on the inner workings of the program to improve vst performance that they didn't also look at things like higher resolution because that issue is only ever going to get more pertinent.

I'm also hoping that improved vst performance might also equal improved RE performance?

deepndark

24 Aug 2018

I think Props parallely work hard on the next R10 point update, like we know + also already work on R11 as well.
Some features seem very easy to be done, but oftenly may involve some tricky things that slow down the coding.

kefkekeyser

24 Aug 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
23 Aug 2018

Here’s a secret: I’m a pretty good listener.
Can you expain this 'Easy MIDI Inputs'?

Still no MIDI Channel support? Some VSTs would benefit from this: example: the arpeggiator of TAL-U-NO-LX can be synced with
note-on events played on MIDI CHANNEL 16, but there is no way to do this in Reason.

And no plans for VST3 support?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

24 Aug 2018

kefkekeyser wrote:
24 Aug 2018
MattiasHG wrote:
23 Aug 2018

Here’s a secret: I’m a pretty good listener.
Can you expain this 'Easy MIDI Inputs'?
It's simply a type of background-auto-detect so that whenever you plug-in a controller (even when the program's running) it'll just work right away, even without setting up a remote map or control surface.

KirkMarkarian

24 Aug 2018

Hey, I just wanna say how much I love Reason, and I'm happy for all the changes / additions / etc. I'm getting what I've asked for - Max/MSP type composition and amazing synthesis options. The software I've known and loved since 2001 is still working for me to this day, with TONS of options for getting around and doing all sorts of musical stuff. It makes great sounds, and is wide open in the synthesis field. For those that can't get the sound(s) they're looking for, it's starting to look like that might be a personal preference. All hail Reason! :)

Kategra

24 Aug 2018

Some posts reminded me of an old saying: give them a finger and they'll take the whole hand!
Well, Propellerhead did not give us the middle finger, they gave us an amazing product!
Congratulations to the Propellerhead team for their great work!!!

antic604

24 Aug 2018

So, anyone got accepted into the beta program yet?

phaza

24 Aug 2018

Wow finally some basic features, not that i am complaining :)

• Information