What features are REALLY necessary for Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Flint32

18 Aug 2018

1. Use of midi channels
2. being able to send multi midi channels to VST that support it
3. At least 16 stereo outputs for VST
3. Markers and regions
4.Looping preview of wav sample (sync to project tempo)
5. Preview midi files from the browser using an instrument in the rack
6. etc......

madmacman

18 Aug 2018

Has every feature ever implemented anywhere been mentioned? Are we done now?

Loque

18 Aug 2018

madmacman wrote:
18 Aug 2018
Has every feature ever implemented anywhere been mentioned? Are we done now?
VST. Ok, it took a few years, but they have done it.
Reason12, Win10

madmacman

18 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
18 Aug 2018
So what is the aim of this topic now? Hope that any of the roughly 100 mentioned features is taken into consideration? Each feature takes "a few years"? And we (finally!) have the Reason of our dreams in the year ~2518?

EDIT: sorry for being sarcastic. But this thread has taught me to understand why many people use more than one DAW on a regular basis.

S1GNL

18 Aug 2018

I'll say it slowly, so maybe Props will get it already.

More... Send... channels

Vee... Cee... Aeyyy ... faders

Loque

18 Aug 2018

madmacman wrote:
18 Aug 2018
Loque wrote:
18 Aug 2018
So what is the aim of this topic now? Hope that any of the roughly 100 mentioned features is taken into consideration? Each feature takes "a few years"? And we (finally!) have the Reason of our dreams in the year ~2518?

EDIT: sorry for being sarcastic. But this thread has taught me to understand why many people use more than one DAW on a regular basis.
Np. I was sarcastic too. Maybe not so obviously.
Reason12, Win10

violent grey

18 Aug 2018

the ability to manually enter a value in pretty much everywhere in reason... the mixer knobs, the faders, everything where I have to use a knob. the precise isnt as precise as being able to enter 50.0... its frustrating when your fingers hurt and have carpet tunnel ...
lol srsly, would love to see it.

there was one other thing,

these plugins... are a MUST and would give Reason a HUGE vantage.

The Fairchild 670 and 660 collection
LA-2A/LA-2 collection
Pultec Passive EQ collection
The Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor
FATSO Jr./Sr. Tape Sim. & Compressor
Manley Labs Massive Passive EQ, Variable Mu Limiter Compressor, and VOXBOX Channel Strip

oh, a mono button right on the ssl, right next to the clear solo clear mute buttons

Funkspace

18 Aug 2018

1) Multiple Lanes on Audio Tracks -so that audio clips on one track can overlap and blend easily and non-destructively

2) Per-Audio Clip ‘Private Insert Rack’: A unique (private) audio effect rack on an Audio Clip by Audio Clip basis. (Using Pre-rendered optimization)
This is major in its implications. Any audio clip on a track can have its own ‘private insert effects rack’ (window) which you apply effects to that clip only. The effects are unique to the clip only and can’t be routed to devices outside the private rack -this will allow the audio clip to effectively have its own pre-rendered copy of its applied effects that does not slow down playback. This feature would mean that any and every audio snippet can have its own unique effects applied to it prior to the effects that are applied on its associated track (and all other clips on that track). Opening the effects ‘private insert rack’ for editing will re-render the effects on that clip in a non-destructive manner because the original audio clip is still retained.

3) track folders

Zac

18 Aug 2018

It does show what a thankless task the props have .... no way ever that everyone can be satisfied. Obviously i put my own desire for vst midi based capabilities higher but even if i posted it every day in every thread... that makes my opinion less valid/nuts surely?

Listen to me *-*

violent grey

18 Aug 2018

Another idea I had was having access to the back of the ssl and the ability to manually connect stuff to mixer directly from the rack, so if you are like in single monitor mode you can have both mixer rack visible to route, and if multi screen like me, you can just drag from one monitor to the other.

It could help improve flexible work flow especially when dealing with mixer controllers.

jayhosking

18 Aug 2018

Funkspace wrote:
18 Aug 2018
1) Multiple Lanes on Audio Tracks -so that audio clips on one track can overlap and blend easily and non-destructively

2) Per-Audio Clip ‘Private Insert Rack’: A unique (private) audio effect rack on an Audio Clip by Audio Clip basis. (Using Pre-rendered optimization)
This is major in its implications. Any audio clip on a track can have its own ‘private insert effects rack’ (window) which you apply effects to that clip only. The effects are unique to the clip only and can’t be routed to devices outside the private rack -this will allow the audio clip to effectively have its own pre-rendered copy of its applied effects that does not slow down playback. This feature would mean that any and every audio snippet can have its own unique effects applied to it prior to the effects that are applied on its associated track (and all other clips on that track). Opening the effects ‘private insert rack’ for editing will re-render the effects on that clip in a non-destructive manner because the original audio clip is still retained.

3) track folders
1) Reason already has this.
2) I have no idea why this would be desirable. Just make a new track with its own “private” effects! There are no limitations to the number of tracks, and you could always group them to a bus if you want some main effects on the whole of them.
3) I honestly don’t miss this from ProTools, but i can see why it would be useful for some. I would, however, love to have the ability to save separate mix files / mixes without creating another huge file.

markonmac

19 Aug 2018

Speaking as a new Reason user, two things stood out to me almost immediately:
  • The user interface is blurry on a 4K monitor
  • There is no global search in the browser

Creativemind

19 Aug 2018

Zac wrote:
18 Aug 2018
It does show what a thankless task the props have .... no way ever that everyone can be satisfied. Obviously i put my own desire for vst midi based capabilities higher but even if i posted it every day in every thread... that makes my opinion less valid/nuts surely?

Listen to me *-*
They coulda started by giving long term users some workflow additions in 10. Only 1 core program addition in 10, adding patch favourites to instruments like a thumbnail underneath wasn't it. Then Mattius said, this isn't the end which lead me to believe that we'd see some workflow things in 10.1, 10.2 etc. That was months ago, still waiting.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

flightONE

19 Aug 2018

Makis wrote:
08 Aug 2018
3. Automation curves
I used to not care about this since I just drew everything manually with no cleanup...

Until i started cheating on Reason with Live...

Now my two top features are curves and ghost clip editing... oh and a native multiband OTT compressor would be nice :puf_bigsmile:

syncanonymous

21 Aug 2018

one thing said before; doesn’t need to be in a new version, a clandestine update would be fine (altho, then not included in the manual ;-)
1) option to lock clips to time

it is too easy to slip a clip in Reason arrange view
especially if working to sync’d to picture
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

ltbrunt00

21 Aug 2018

I have a simple request, what about muting individual notes in a midi clip.

1. Now I have a hard request, not sure if I will describe it properly.

2. Instead of going into another GUI screen to use blocks. Take the midi clips and add a tag to the midi clip which would turn the clip into a block and sync that block with any block using that tag. You could even set multiple tags on these clips. you could even add a tag to this clip making it the master block which would change all other blocks using the same tag.

3. All this would take place in the sequencer window. The block GUI window would no longer be needed.

4. Picture this you just created a 4 bar midi clip with a simple one note melody spanning the clip. You label this clip with the block tag and block master tag. You then copy this midi clip on multiple instruments to thicken the sound. All these newly copied clips already have the block tag attached to it. You change the octave of some of these clips and since these clips do not have the Block Master tag all other clips with this tag group remain unchanged. . Two weeks later you pull up the project and realize you didn't like what was in this clip. To change all the Clips with the same tag all you would need to do is open the the clip labeled with the block master tag which would modify the notes in all the other clips.

5.If the notes were at different octaves the octave would stay the same, only the notes would change.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

davidicus

21 Aug 2018

- i want to store on and browse from a server or remote drive. as quickly as the OS can. SSDs are still smallish, and i have two laptops.
- i'd love to fold/accordion/hide groups of channels
- i'd to use 32 bit VSTs without messing around
- there is still interface polish i long for after all this time. e.g.: my ability to easily get the right area zoomed, to change tool or Snap by keyboard tap, to add the tail back to a clip i just loop-recorded, to pan around the sequence as easily as i do in photoshop, to size performance data areas etc., to open the clip and find its note data, to rename a lane only OOPS it moved between clicks, to Combinate something and get the midi rerouted, to get the playhead back to the left marker (poking and dragging that tiny target with my middle finger without dropping my pick), and so on. there's a certain adorableness to its quirks having become familiar, but still.

Faastwalker

21 Aug 2018

Mouse over control. It's all about the control for me. Everything else is cherry topping.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7508029&p=407047#p407047

Flath

23 Aug 2018

Different metronome settings / sounds

ClassickHitz

23 Aug 2018

I've mentioned this before so maybe it's been already suggested as well.

I would love for Props to add a 'Preview' for all Reason song files without having to open a full project to reference. I have a ton of old song files for both Reason and Record but hate that I have to actually open each project in order to listen to it, e.g., to see if it's worth working on further. Or, revisiting for unfinished projects and collaborations.

A preview button would save so much time.

WillyOD

23 Aug 2018

I don't know how this would work? Are you suggesting Reason renders 5-15 sec of the project start every time it's saved? I don't think that's acceptable addition to the saving time... Just render all your old projects as WAV/MP3 with the same name. That's what I've done, it's not super efficient but it gets the job done. I've also uploaded unfinished project renders to OneDrive just in case I have to access them when I'm away from my workstation.
ClassickHitz wrote:
23 Aug 2018
I've mentioned this before so maybe it's been already suggested as well.

I would love for Props to add a 'Preview' for all Reason song files without having to open a full project to reference. I have a ton of old song files for both Reason and Record but hate that I have to actually open each project in order to listen to it, e.g., to see if it's worth working on further. Or, revisiting for unfinished projects and collaborations.

A preview button would save so much time.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

Loque

23 Aug 2018

Flath wrote:
23 Aug 2018
Different metronome settings / sounds
Maybe you like to try this:

https://shop.propellerheads.se/browse/?q=Metro
Reason12, Win10

e5erik

25 Aug 2018

groggy1 wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Undistraction wrote:
21 Jun 2018
I would love to be able to copy a clip to multiple places and by editing one clip, edit all the copies.
I can't believe I left this one off my list! -YES, YES!!!

I come from Sonar (years ago), and this is the one feature that was hardest to say goodbye to. There's just something so nice about being able to create a simple pattern and then repeat it in the sequencer.

Blocks doesn't quite cut it (it's not the same thing exactly).

In addition to supporting "linked clips", Sonar also had a nice variation to it: You could take a single clip, and just drag it out to the right, and the pattern in your clip would automatically repeat.

Now I'm getting sad, and missed Sonar for a moment... :(
(But just a short moment...)

Totally agree! It's really hard to belive this is not already available in reason. I'm having a hard time getting past this fact....

JunkMaster

25 Aug 2018

markonmac wrote:
19 Aug 2018
Speaking as a new Reason user, two things stood out to me almost immediately:
  • The user interface is blurry on a 4K monitor
  • There is no global search in the browser
I think many people can agree that UI improvements in terms of support for 4K and high-DPI screens and ability to stack work areas side-by-side, as highlighted by antic604 in the first reply, would be most welcomed.

VST performance looks to be in the pipeline for V10 - although not necessarily in the near future but it's coming soon so that is promising.

calebbrennan

26 Aug 2018

I read through all the suggestions. What a laundry list?
Some spot on points and and other suggestions that would add more clutter to the program.
Prop heads know the wisdom keeping it simpler. Which is why you use their software!

It's ok to complain but at the same time many tech companies shovel crap to monetize their operation and stay afloat. I think Prophead do a good job while there is room for improvement

• Information