I wish we had an OPL2 or OPL3 synth

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
KirkMarkarian

16 Aug 2018

Yes, I'm aware of every FM synth we've got in the store, and every synth that CAN do FM in the rack, and I've probably purchased them. The closest to all of them is the RYM2612, as it has a "sound" to it. It sounds like a Sega. I'm also aware of the soundfonts that play back samples of the OPL2 / OPL3. Not the same, no real adjustable FM parameters. I would like a synth that is FM, and has the sound of the old Soundblaster card from the 90's.

I can get close to them on the Subtractor and the RYM2612, but it's not the same. We just don't have the OPL2 / OPL3 here. No, I'm not gonna download or purchase a VST. No, Malstrom isn't the answer, and neither is Thor / Europa / Parsec / whatever. :D It's a wish.

Reason-Lords, would you please make an OPL2 / OPL3 FM synthesis emulator? Preferably one that doesn't cost a bar of processing power?

Loque

16 Aug 2018

My first google hits:
https://bsutherland.github.io/JuceOPLVSTi/
http://www.oplx.com/ (additional info and links)

No problem. Your welcome.
Reason12, Win10

Reasonable man

16 Aug 2018

I dont want to hijack your thread. Can i ask your opinion on the FM4... (if you like it or not)

I bought the FM4 Frequency Modulation Synthesizer in the shop on sale a while back cause i really wanted to get into fm . The presets sound amazing (to my ears) but im having alot of trouble breaking down what's acutally happening in most of the patches . There is a brief so so tutorial on line somewhere i found tat isn't really a tutoria at alll (and it uses a vst version ..i think).
If anyone knows of a proper tutorial or can find one on it i would be mighty obliged if they could post a link here .. Thankyou.

theshoemaker

16 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
16 Aug 2018
My first google hits:

He said "NO VST" ;)
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Loque

16 Aug 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
16 Aug 2018
Loque wrote:
16 Aug 2018
My first google hits:

He said "NO VST" ;)
He also said, there is NO RE :-)
Reason12, Win10

KirkMarkarian

16 Aug 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
16 Aug 2018
I dont want to hijack your thread. Can i ask your opinion on the FM4... (if you like it or not)

I bought the FM4 Frequency Modulation Synthesizer in the shop on sale a while back cause i really wanted to get into fm . The presets sound amazing (to my ears) but im having alot of trouble breaking down what's acutally happening in most of the patches . There is a brief so so tutorial on line somewhere i found tat isn't really a tutoria at alll (and it uses a vst version ..i think).
If anyone knows of a proper tutorial or can find one on it i would be mighty obliged if they could post a link here .. Thankyou.
It's a fantastic FM synth, very nice sound, very easy to use and get excellent full, abstract, jagged, or melodic patches from. I don't know of any proper tutorials, but one recommendation would be to start with just two operators and make small adjustments until you're comfortable with how they interact. Then add operators. Then switch to a different operator routing and start over. Save interesting patches as you go.

KirkMarkarian

16 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
16 Aug 2018
He also said, there is NO RE :-)
Yeah, there is no RE. That's why I asked for one. I think I get your sense of humor, as it's the same type of response on every one of my posts 🙂 Go make some more excellent music and quit pestering me with your goofy answers 😆, unless you've got a real solution, which I'm open to hearing.

Loque

16 Aug 2018

Ok... Since you did not said which RE you tried, i just make a guess for some interesting FM...

EXpanse has the biggest freedom for fm imo. Zero is interesting too, especially if you downsample it on the back. Send something through Ammo and you get new results. Use a fm capable filter like PMS. Anybody said Thor? Modulate everything with everything in Thor...
Reason12, Win10

KirkMarkarian

16 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
16 Aug 2018
Ok... Since you did not said which RE you tried, i just make a guess for some interesting FM...

EXpanse has the biggest freedom for fm imo. Zero is interesting too, especially if you downsample it on the back. Send something through Ammo and you get new results. Use a fm capable filter like PMS. Anybody said Thor? Modulate everything with everything in Thor...
Yep, tried AND own all the synths, PMS filter, and Ammo isn't what I'm looking for. They're great synths. They're pretty heavy on processing power. They also don't sound like what I'm requesting.

What I envision is a synth as efficient as Subtractor. I can use like 20 of them with very little draw on CPU.

I'm requesting to anybody who builds REs for an RE that sounds like the OPL2 / OPL3 FM synthesis chip, including the timbral difference of the time it existed (90's). AND I want it to not be a drag on the CPU. It's a lot to request.

Like I had mentioned in my first post, the RYM2612 is spot on for the Sega sound chip made by Yamaha. I'd like the same thing, except with the SoundBlaster chip. And even with that, it's gotta be light on the CPU. Maybe it would use samples as oscillators, maybe it would be low-bandwidth synthesis. Who knows? It's gotta sound like cheap Yamaha FM.

What I don't want to do is improvise with synths that I already own and filter them to sound close. I don't want to use insanely processor-hungry REs to emulate low-resolution sound. That is not the point of my request. 🙂

theshoemaker

16 Aug 2018

Loque wrote:
16 Aug 2018

I really like Zero. Albeit I don't have it. I will get back to it when it is on sale again. Because Blamsoft just rocks. I'm just REndomizing the sh*** out of eXpanse in this very moment with my ReCode:RePlay scripting environment. PX7 sucks, as it doesn't have a lot of remotables. Whish props would rework this. And I'd love to get my hands on with Zero on this part, because most of the Propellerhead synths just suck with remotables. Thor isn't fully remotable, lacks the mod matrix. Malström lacks the important wavetables, which can't even be worked around. Grain and Eurpoa miss the important Envelopes. So its just Subtractor ... which is awesome to randomize!! and Parsec is brilliant in this regard. I think Parsec has been a contract job :D

eXpanse is amazing in this regard, because also the graphical Envelops are remotable. albeit I crashed it a couple of time with my randomizer, don't know yet how I did this. But it's awesome. The skrock synths are delightfull for randomizing, I think khz one will also be. And a couple of others.

I will try every single synth with subscriptions again to create rendomizer sccripts. Looking forward to FM4 in this regard.

The Driver and Chip64 also work like a charm.

But back to topic. Zero and FM4 ... I just wish PX7 would have more remotables.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Loque

16 Aug 2018

You tried MS-34? Maybe as a fm source?

Or wbl5515?

Ofc they need to be treated...

Or some Ochen K stuff?

But tbh, no idea what you are looking for. An exact emulation? Good luck...
Reason12, Win10

• Information