Mouse-over, knob controllers?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
joeyluck

17 Apr 2017

Are there any other options out there other than these? These are the ones I am aware of:

nOb controller
http://nobcontrol.com/

Kontrol Master
https://touchinnovations.com/products/kontrol-master/

Novation Nocturn (discontinued)
https://global.novationmusic.com/midi-c ... n?reload=3#

I find the feature to be very handy. Simple concept. But I don't see many controllers offering a feature.
And the current offerings aren't cheap. I've looked at things like the Griffin powerMate and the 3Dconnexion mouse, but neither of those seem to have the feature.

normen

17 Apr 2017

Would be great if Reason added "use mouse wheel to turn knob you hover over". But I get that its problematic with scrolling in the rack. An option key might help there, assignable to either "scroll when held" or "turn knob when held".

joeyluck

17 Apr 2017

normen wrote:Would be great if Reason added "use mouse wheel to turn knob you hover over". But I get that its problematic with scrolling in the rack. An option key might help there, assignable to either "scroll when held" or "turn knob when held".
That would be cool too. Although I'd really like a knob. I use the trackpad on my MacBook for navigating Reason. And clicking and dragging on a parameter works similarly already. Maybe a piece of software exists that can make a knob on any controller behave this way? I haven't stumbled upon it yet.

normen

17 Apr 2017

joeyluck wrote:That would be cool too. Although I'd really like a knob. I use the trackpad on my MacBook for navigating Reason. And clicking and dragging on a parameter works similarly already. Maybe a piece of software exists that can make a knob on any controller behave this way? I haven't stumbled upon it yet.
Mhm, I find it MUUUUCH easier to concentrate on what I'm doing when I just turn a mouse wheel or a knob. When you click, look, hold your mouse cursor in place, drag and all that its hard to focus on the actual change. Doesn't seem like it is but you're much easier fooled into hearing what you intend to do than actually just hearing IF you do it :)

electrofux

19 Apr 2017

You can use Bomes Midi Translator to emulate such a behaviour with any controller. I have done it a while back and it worked nicely. I remember it was a bit of work to get the three modes (vertical, horizontal circular) implemented.

Faastwalker

12 Aug 2018

I was going to buy a Touch Innovations Kontrol Master. But direct from manufacturer (no outlets here in Aus) with shipping comes in at about $375 Aus. Ouch! It's a great idea though. I'm sold on this as a half way house between hardware control & a capable MIDI controller for soft synth control. Would also like to see some more options for mouse over control. Great idea.

joeyluck

12 Aug 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
12 Aug 2018
I was going to buy a Touch Innovations Kontrol Master. But direct from manufacturer (no outlets here in Aus) with shipping comes in at about $375 Aus. Ouch! It's a great idea though. I'm sold on this as a half way house between hardware control & a capable MIDI controller for soft synth control. Would also like to see some more options for mouse over control. Great idea.
Ugh that sucks. I'm still holding out for Touch Innovations to make a more compact version that is just the knobs and switches to switch the function (something that competes more directly with nOb).

Ya know, Normen mentioned above the request to have Reason add mouse wheel control of parameters (which some software and VSTs do).

At the time I was only thinking of using mouse wheels to control such a feature...but turns out, there are also controllers out there that have knobs to perform the mouse wheel function, such as the interfaces by Audient and their "Scroll Control" (I think that's how those work). I think then other things like the Griffin PowerMate might also work?

Faastwalker

13 Aug 2018

joeyluck wrote:
12 Aug 2018
Faastwalker wrote:
12 Aug 2018
Ugh that sucks. I'm still holding out for Touch Innovations to make a more compact version that is just the knobs and switches to switch the function (something that competes more directly with nOb).
Is this something you've heard about? Would be great if they did this. But the Kontrol Master looks like such a neat controller. I'd buy one if I could buy local or if shipping wasn't so expensive.
Ya know, Normen mentioned above the request to have Reason add mouse wheel control of parameters (which some software and VSTs do).
Would be a neat addition. My mouse wheel has click steps, which wouldn't be ideal. But with the right mouse it would be cool.
At the time I was only thinking of using mouse wheels to control such a feature...but turns out, there are also controllers out there that have knobs to perform the mouse wheel function, such as the interfaces by Audient and their "Scroll Control" (I think that's how those work). I think then other things like the Griffin PowerMate might also work?
The Griffin PowerMate looks interesting. I'm all for these mouse over controllers. Such a neat idea.

https://griffintechnology.com/products/ ... ermate-usb

joeyluck

13 Aug 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
13 Aug 2018
joeyluck wrote:
12 Aug 2018

Is this something you've heard about? Would be great if they did this. But the Kontrol Master looks like such a neat controller. I'd buy one if I could buy local or if shipping wasn't so expensive.
I haven't heard anything about it recently. I had asked when Kontrol Master was first released and there might plans for a more compact version, but I haven't heard anything since.

electrofux

13 Aug 2018

Just ordered a Griffin Power mate, couldnt resist. Gonna see if i can turn it into a 1 knob thingy.
All it needs to do is vertical mousdrag inplace and vertical mousedrag both switchable by the press. Horizontal is another thing but not so often needed i figure.
If it canot be configured with inhouse editors, a little autohotkey script should do the trick.
Would be awesome for 35Eur, but lets see how that thing turns out-

Faastwalker

13 Aug 2018

electrofux wrote:
13 Aug 2018
Just ordered a Griffin Power mate, couldnt resist. Gonna see if i can turn it into a 1 knob thingy.
All it needs to do is vertical mousdrag inplace and vertical mousedrag both switchable by the press. Horizontal is another thing but not so often needed i figure.
If it canot be configured with inhouse editors, a little autohotkey script should do the trick.
Would be awesome for 35Eur, but lets see how that thing turns out-
Cool. I'd be very interested to hear how this pans out. Sounds like it could be a good solution.

Faastwalker

14 Aug 2018

joeyluck wrote:
17 Apr 2017
nOb controller
http://nobcontrol.com/
Signed up for the mailing list for notification if they start putting out more of these.

electrofux

16 Aug 2018

Got it 90% working (have to get the toggle of modes right). But there is a drag. That thing is a Jog Wheel and that means it is an encoder with a not so super high resolution and that in turn means to get a value from 0 to 127 in increments of 1 you need to turn alot. I would say 4 times. You can adjust the speed by choosing higher increments but that is not so ideal or perfect.

Edit: Tweaking here and there and it looks like it is usable, still testing.

SaveTheHuman5

19 Aug 2018

Take a looks guys.
https://hi.computer/elephant/

MS windows, sorry, no plans for mac.

Faastwalker

19 Aug 2018

SaveTheHuman5 wrote:
19 Aug 2018
Take a looks guys.
https://hi.computer/elephant/

MS windows, sorry, no plans for mac.
And this - using Elephant to turn an Microsoft Surface Dial into a mouse over or MIDI controller;

fieldframe
RE Developer

21 Aug 2018

Has anyone used the Teenage Engineering Ortho Remote? Seems like it could work decently with Bome.

By the way, here's a related thread requesting mouse-over mapping as a native Reason feature: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7508029 The big advantages of native support would be higher resolution, no intermediary software required, and no toggling between horizontal/vertical controls. If you think this would be welcome functionality, let PH know!

demt

21 Aug 2018

I'm fairly sure. A gaming mouse as there covered with buttons would have a use in reason
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

electrofux

25 Aug 2018

I have just come across the Surface Dial-Elephant software in the Video above and the Dial lools very promising as it seems to have good resolution.
But there are a few things to consider. Since it is designed to work in the touch screen environment they didnt implement a Mouse Over function but a mouse down then turn function. This might be good or not so good. The other thing they also mention on their website is that it has a short sleep timer to save battery and then it takes some time to get back in action. The question is how quick that happens - could be totally annoying.
But the dial itself seems to be some good piece of hardware.

SaveTheHuman5

11 Sep 2018

Update: Elephant v1.3 now support mouse hover mode :) new video will be available soon.

Faastwalker

12 Sep 2018

SaveTheHuman5 wrote:
11 Sep 2018
Update: Elephant v1.3 now support mouse hover mode :) new video will be available soon.
So no need to mouse over + click? Sold to me :D Time to buy one of those puck things or similar hopefully ;)

kuhliloach

12 Sep 2018

Elephant eh? Hmmm. I like what's happening in the knob-o-sphere! Not sure the Microsoft product will be the knob for me. Something more generic with a standard USB cable, and compatible with Win 7 and beyond would be better. Or, as I've mentioned, with the right software layer we should be able to just use any knob that already exists on our existing MIDI controller. That layer just needs to be able to let us mouse over anything and get knobby.

Faastwalker

13 Sep 2018

kuhliloach wrote:
12 Sep 2018
Elephant eh? Hmmm. I like what's happening in the knob-o-sphere! Not sure the Microsoft product will be the knob for me. Something more generic with a standard USB cable, and compatible with Win 7 and beyond would be better. Or, as I've mentioned, with the right software layer we should be able to just use any knob that already exists on our existing MIDI controller. That layer just needs to be able to let us mouse over anything and get knobby.
I was wondering this myself. Would it be possible to use software like Elephant to turn any knob / encoder into a mouse over controller? Would be great for DIY knobage! I was all set to pull the trigger on the Touch innovations Kontrol Master (which I believe the creator of the Elephant software was involved in). But even at the reduced price of $199 US (direct from the manufacturer) I was looking at close to $400 AUS after shipping! Unfortunately there don't seem to be any outlets closer to home. The Kontrol Master has 3 buttons for switching between vertical, horizontal & circular control. I'm curious to know if & how the Elephant software and the Surface Dial gets around this requirement (before I go out & spend $149 AUS on a MS puck).

SaveTheHuman5

19 Oct 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
12 Sep 2018
SaveTheHuman5 wrote:
11 Sep 2018
So no need to mouse over + click? Sold to me :D Time to buy one of those puck things or similar hopefully ;)
Apologyze for late repply.
Yes, you can use now without the mouse click.
If you have few minutes take a faster look at the user guide:
https://hi.computer/elephant-user-guide/

SaveTheHuman5

19 Oct 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
13 Sep 2018
kuhliloach wrote:
12 Sep 2018
I was wondering this myself. Would it be possible to use software like Elephant to turn any knob / encoder into a mouse over controller? Would be great for DIY knobage! I was all set to pull the trigger on the Touch innovations Kontrol Master (which I believe the creator of the Elephant software was involved in). But even at the reduced price of $199 US (direct from the manufacturer) I was looking at close to $400 AUS after shipping! Unfortunately there don't seem to be any outlets closer to home. The Kontrol Master has 3 buttons for switching between vertical, horizontal & circular control. I'm curious to know if & how the Elephant software and the Surface Dial gets around this requirement (before I go out & spend $149 AUS on a MS puck).

I love DIY projects and Hi!computer is that, MUSIC + CONTROLLERISM + DIY
Next month I release Elephant version 1.4 and have on plans the first DIY project and this time is related to Elephant, I call the project "THE EXTENDER" (buttons for a faster switch from vertical, horizontal & circular control for the Surface Dial) :mrgreen:

Right now I stay a little busy launching a second project on Hi!computer, Chameleon......oh yes!! the zoo is coming :puf_bigsmile:
https://hi.computer/chameleon/
For sure! I have to go right now, I have to deal with a big trouble on the web site, the software is released but the backend refuse to show 99% of the documentation, have to fix that is a big FAIL.
Feel free to make any question here in the forum I reply ASAP.
Best regards!

Faastwalker

21 Oct 2018

SaveTheHuman5 wrote:
19 Oct 2018
Next month I release Elephant version 1.4 and have on plans the first DIY project and this time is related to Elephant, I call the project "THE EXTENDER" (buttons for a faster switch from vertical, horizontal & circular control for the Surface Dial) :mrgreen:
I've noticed other one-knob over controllers have dedicated buttons/switches for changing between control types i.e. vertical, horizontal & circular controls in the software. How does this work with the Surface Dial & the Elephant software?

• Information