Utility Modules - 1st up MN Maths [Video] Mix, A-vert, Slew

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
O1B

17 Jun 2018

Feel free to add Hardware or Software for comparisons.

Software vs Hardware Battles are unnecessary, though. I dont have a dog in it.
Digital - for Precision. Analog - for the Unexpected Jitter.

First UP!

MakeNoise MATHS - Mix, Attenuvert, and Slew [Video]

Currently the Undisputed Best Module on ModularGrid.

- Audio
- Voltage
- Mod Depth
- Inversion
- Mixer
- Slew
- Sharkfin
- ASR Envelope
- LFO, Sloooooooooow LFO, VCO
- Envelope Follower
- Sidechain
- Clock, Clock Divider
- Inputs, Outputs

Great Tutorial.
* that Hermod is stiff competition for MI Yarns, and Pamela's Workout.

O1B

05 Jul 2018

QUAD LFO

Video starts at the Drums .... Divide MODE.

All possible in Reason -
Batumi w/Poti

O1B

14 Jul 2018

Whether you need one complex envelope, or several simpler modulations, Stages reconfigures itself according to which of its gate inputs are patched. There is always a role for it in your patch.

Three segment types
Ramp segments go from one voltage to another, in a CV-controlled amount of time, with an adjustable curve (accelerating, uniform, decelerating). They are the building block used for the attack, decay or release segments in envelopes… or for LFOs.
Hold segments stay at a constant (but CV-controllable) voltage for a programmable amount of time. They serve as the sustain or hold segments in envelopes.
Step segments glide to a target (CV-controllable) voltage, then stay at this voltage for a certain amount of time until a trigger is received. They are the main ingredient for step sequences, but also for building sequential switches or a sample-and-hold.
Looping
A segment, or a group of segments, can loop on itself: if the last segment of the envelope is included in the loop, the loop lasts forever. Otherwise, the loop remains active while the gate is high, then continues past the last segment of the loop. These two behaviors allow the creation of self-looping envelopes (LFOs), or the sustain stage of a good old ADSR envelope!

Crumbfort

18 Jul 2018

Love my maths. Want... another... one....

Picked up a few things recently: intellijel shifty, intellijel quad vca, intellijel quadra + expander. All awesome... shifty is just absolutely brilliant.

I'm working on a combinator to use in conjunction with my ES-3/ES-6 to emulate Verbos Electronics Scan & Pan:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/verbos-el ... s-scan-pan

Really cool concept that I haven't explored that much. Would like to get it sometime for eurorack but it's pretty spendy at $430 or so. Will have to wait a bit!

I enjoy the WMD/SSF SPO as well (scaler/polarizer/offset):

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/steady-state-fate-s-p-o
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

O1B

20 Jul 2018

I want that whole Verbos setup.... ahh, the future.
Scan and Pan looks awesome. But, I need Filters.

Thanks for the “shifty” heads up
Looking it up today!
Crumbfort wrote:
18 Jul 2018
Love my maths. Want... another... one....

Picked up a few things recently: intellijel shifty, intellijel quad vca, intellijel quadra + expander. All awesome... shifty is just absolutely brilliant.

I'm working on a combinator to use in conjunction with my ES-3/ES-6 to emulate Verbos Electronics Scan & Pan:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/verbos-el ... s-scan-pan

Really cool concept that I haven't explored that much. Would like to get it sometime for eurorack but it's pretty spendy at $430 or so. Will have to wait a bit!

I enjoy the WMD/SSF SPO as well (scaler/polarizer/offset):

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/steady-state-fate-s-p-o

O1B

12 Aug 2018

Malekko Varigate 4+

The basic concept is that while almost all step sequencers have some sort of switches per step to indicate if that step is on or off, the Varigate instead has sliders to control the probability that step will fire, from 0-100% like a normal sequencer but including everything inbetween!

The Varigate 4 is a 4-channel, 8-step gate sequencer with parameter per-step control of PROBABILITY, REPEAT AND DELAY as well as GLOBAL parameter controls.

New 4+ version allows quantized and unquantized CV out option

O1B

13 Aug 2018

another good video...

Crumbfort

13 Aug 2018

Nice! Thanks a bunch for posting these, O1B.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

O1B

18 Aug 2018

Crumbfort wrote:
13 Aug 2018
Nice! Thanks a bunch for posting these, O1B.
No Problem! .... and, don't forget...

You can never have too many VCAs.
. Audio Mixer
.CV Mixer
.Voltage
.Offset
.Scale
.Attenuation, - or the opposite!
.Image

ADDAC 803: Quintet Mixing Console
5 Channels,
CV/Audio,
Mutes(Off),
Two channels.. Solo or Main - which is Pre/Post Amp
Log/Lin VCA
CV ins per Channel
Direct Outs (processed) per Channel
External in... 6th channel or Daisy Chain

VCAs.... Euroracks' Automation Lane.
Last edited by O1B on 20 Aug 2018, edited 1 time in total.

O1B

19 Aug 2018

I give you, the updated Make Noise QMMG. Couldn't miss one from the second batch,

Pre-order $200 down, S500 later.. Shipping: Oct 22 indicated...

O1B

20 Aug 2018

NOW SHIPPING: Thanks, Schneiderlade! I couldn't find one stateside!
Intellijel seems really low in stock right now - so get 'em while they're hot - if you relish performance control.

[*]Planar 2: Updated... Now, w/Record: A Cornucopia of Control

XY Plane
ABCD Quadrants
Loop, One Shot, Sync'd Loop
Quad mixing & crossfading.... 1 to 4, or 4 to 1
Quad panning:
Proper metering
Gate Generator - Manual Gate button or automatically whenever the joystick is in motion.
CV Gesture Recorder - up to 30 seconds, i believe...

....now, for a 4 channel V recorder...

O1B

28 Aug 2018

I can't commit the the Squarp workflow just yet. But, 4 gates and 4 CVs is so 80s...
... so, how do I get the Drumbrute IMPACT to trigger say, a Soundmachines SimpleDrum-1?
(...which doubles as a Bass Module, btw..)

MIDI (IN, only) to CV
- 4 Gates - Note Velocity, CC
- 12 Triggers - Note, Clock, Transport,
in 8HP
Image BELOW:

Default: Triggers 5-12 on MIDI Channel 10 (DRUMS) - for Drumheads, on Page 2 of the Manual: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... l_v100.pdf

Connectors
Mutant Brain has the following connections:
 A standard 5-pin MIDI input socket
Four 3.5mm jack sockets, labelled A through D, which output analog
control voltage signals
Twelve 3.5mm jack sockets, labelled 1 through 12, which output
digital gate signals
LEDs
Mutant Brain has 18 LED indicators:
 The LED to the left of the MIDI port indicates MIDI activity
 The LED to the right of the MIDI port usually indicates presence of a
MIDI clock and blinks on each beat. Some other actions use this LED
to show special statuses. These will be described later.
 The 4 LEDs next to the CV outputs change brightness based to
indicate the voltage they are receiving.
 The 12 LEDs next to the gate outputs flash when they receive a gate
or trigger.
Button
Mutant Brain is highly configurable, but all changes must be made over MIDI. In fact, there is only one button on the module!

http://www.hexinverter.net/mutant-brain
Available Now. ~$169

O1B

17 Sep 2018

Flight of Harmony Choices - for fine tuning CV and dual Joystick mode if you have two.
Intellijel Planar 2 is for Kinetic Out, Quadrant vs XY, Scanning, Grouping, Isolating, etc.

Flame Joystick:
Sometimes you need :
- a Center Detente
- "Hold" state
- 8 memory presets (w/ CV me switch)
- Convenient 2,5 and 10v switch
- UNI/Bi-Polar
- Trigger, X, and Y Outputs

O1B

03 Oct 2018

Make Noise René 2

Video from MN:

The original René was a
- one-channel,
- two-dimensional
- Cartesian sequencer with limited memory,...

The new René is a
- three-channel,
- three-dimensional
- Cartesian sequencer with memory for up to 64 complete STATEs.

Topics Covered:

0:00 What’s new?
2:00 What’s a state?
2:45 Three channels
3:10 Entering notes
4:25 Channels X and Y
5:35 Cartesian C
7:00 Outputs
7:25 The Access page
8:00 Gate controls
8:30 Glide controls
9:10 Quantization
9:25 FUNctions
12:10 Latch mode
13:25 Entering the 3rd dimension
14:00 State mode
14:30 State select
15:00 Z motion
16:30 Global FUN
16:45 Select bus
17:25 Paste & mesh
18:40 Pros & cons

O1B

21 Oct 2018

Modcan Quad LFO

- 4 LFO's with Parameter focus per LFO - (LFO edit knob)
- 16 shapes... with TRANSFORM - not JUST sin, squ, tri, saw.
- Tap Tempo or Sync with divisions
- Choice of CV Control - (FREQ, LEVEL, TRANSFORM, WAVE)
External Gate AND rate per LFO

It is an essential worker

Crumbfort

30 Oct 2018

I picked up one of these recently and am loving using it with PP + Brains + A-185-2

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/befaco-burst-

Super fun module.

O1B

04 Nov 2018

STEP SEQUENCER ( upcoming...)

Robaux SWT16+. 16 track 64 step sequencer (Triggers).
- Step Length per Track, Offset, Direction,
- Live Record (TAP)
Euclidean
- Mute
- Internal/ External Clock
[Prototype]

STEP SEQUENCER Just Released

Intellijel Steppy [1U] $199. Now shipping from Intellijel direct.
"Steppy is a 4-track programmable gate sequencer with eight internal memory slots, external clocking, numerous tweakable parameters, and a performance-first design aesthetic."
- Each track has its own length, which can range from 1-step to 64-steps
- Each track has its own gate length
- Each track has its own clock divider,
- Each track has its own swing setting
- Each track has its own delay setting
- Each track has its own probability control
- Each track can be shifted (or ‘rotated’) forward or backward by a number of steps
- Tracks can be selected and modified in real time as the sequence plays.
- Tracks can be individually muted and unmuted

- Track patterns can be cleared without clearing its playback parameters, and all track patterns (along with their individual playback and performance parameters) can be saved as a preset to one of eight internal memory slots.

selig
RE Developer

04 Nov 2018

OMG OMG OMG!
I just spent yesterday afternoon at the local modular shop, which I didn't even know existed until only recently (Control in Brooklyn, NY) with this fine gentleman (Thanks Robert!):
Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 7.58.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 7.58.47 AM.png (584.35 KiB) Viewed 7021 times
Getting ready to dip my toes into the Eurorack world in the near future and wanted to get some hands on experience as there are LOTS of choices these days.

Most of the Make Noise stuff was impressive, more of a "west coast" take on things (Maths, fixed filter, Mysteron got my attention).
But for utility modules, JUST FRIENDS (Mannequins) looked extremely interesting!

But the most fun I had was with a "processor" (wrong category for this thread, but had to mention) from Make Noise called Morphagene.

Now THAT'S a deep rabbit hole…

Will be following this thread more deeply as I get closer to making purchase decisions.

BTW, are you Eurorack folks integrating you racks with Reason and other gear, and if so, how?
Selig Audio, LLC

Crumbfort

05 Nov 2018

Hey Selig-

Yeah, Just Friends looks dope! As does all the Mannequins stuff, hah! Cold Mac looks super useful to have around. Also have a maths and I'm definitely thinking about adding another one at some point.

I have a morphagene and yeah.... love that module. Endless things to do and discover with it.

As far as integrating the euro setup with Reason/Reaper I use a few things:

Expert Sleepers ES-3 ( https://www.modulargrid.net/e/expert-sleepers-es-3-mk4 )
Expert Sleepers ES-6 + ES-7(expander) ( https://www.modulargrid.net/e/expert-sleepers-es-6-mk2 )

These get you CV (or audio if you desire) in/out of your DAW. ES Silent Way is a great suite of plugs for all kinds of CV and conversion duties. The robotic bean cv to audio and audio to cv REs are brilliant with these modules, too.

I use the Vermona Quad qMI2 ( https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vermona-q ... -interface ) for euro MIDI duties. Really like this module. I then send clock reset signals from to qMI2 out to Pamela's New Workout ( https://www.modulargrid.net/e/alm-busy- ... ew-workout ) and sync it up. Works great and kind of serves as the main clocking source of the system. You get gates, LFOs, random, looping random, euclidean rhythms, all kinds of stuff from PNW.

As far as getting audio back into the DAW I use four of these ( https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-p-530-2ch-out-line ) and a snake going back into the UFX. It's been nice to have 8 channels with attenuators on hand.

I recently dove into eurorack too (last March I think? DANG things escalated quickly! :puf_bigsmile: )

selig
RE Developer

05 Nov 2018

Crumbfort wrote:
05 Nov 2018
Hey Selig-

Yeah, Just Friends looks dope! As does all the Mannequins stuff, hah! Cold Mac looks super useful to have around. Also have a maths and I'm definitely thinking about adding another one at some point.

I have a morphagene and yeah.... love that module. Endless things to do and discover with it.

Expert Sleepers ES-6 + ES-7(expander) ( https://www.modulargrid.net/e/expert-sleepers-es-6-mk2 )

These get you CV (or audio if you desire) in/out of your DAW. ES Silent Way is a great suite of plugs for all kinds of CV and conversion duties. The robotic bean cv to audio and audio to cv REs are brilliant with these modules, too.

I use the Vermona Quad qMI2 ( https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vermona-q ... -interface ) for euro MIDI duties. Really like this module. I then send clock reset signals from to qMI2 out to Pamela's New Workout ( https://www.modulargrid.net/e/alm-busy- ... ew-workout ) and sync it up. Works great and kind of serves as the main clocking source of the system. You get gates, LFOs, random, looping random, euclidean rhythms, all kinds of stuff from PNW.

As far as getting audio back into the DAW I use four of these ( https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-p-530-2ch-out-line ) and a snake going back into the UFX. It's been nice to have 8 channels with attenuators on hand.

I recently dove into eurorack too (last March I think? DANG things escalated quickly! :puf_bigsmile: )
I was wondering about developing an RE for this stuff, thinking an all in one solution would be best. I've looked at the options you mentioned above, and while they appear to cover the basics I still have to wonder if it would be better to have on RE that handles all conversion in one unit rather than three. Does that make sense, or am I re-inventing the wheel here?

Since you're using light pipe, how tricky is the calibration process? I noticed there is no calibration on the Robotic Bean stuff - is it necessary? I would think it would be handy to have at least a trim pot for every signal going out, or am I missing something?
Selig Audio, LLC

Crumbfort

05 Nov 2018

selig wrote:
05 Nov 2018
I was wondering about developing an RE for this stuff, thinking an all in one solution would be best. I've looked at the options you mentioned above, and while they appear to cover the basics I still have to wonder if it would be better to have on RE that handles all conversion in one unit rather than three. Does that make sense, or am I re-inventing the wheel here?

Since you're using light pipe, how tricky is the calibration process? I noticed there is no calibration on the Robotic Bean stuff - is it necessary? I would think it would be handy to have at least a trim pot for every signal going out, or am I missing something?
Ah, cool! I think an all in one solution would be really slick. To be honest, I haven't used the ES voice controller in quite a while. While what it can do for oscillators (analog osc in particular) is really incredible, I find myself not tending to use my modular in that way (as in calibrating an oscillator and sending it note/gate data straight through the ES modules). I thought it would be a really important part of my workflow early on but I just haven't turned to it that much. The calibration process with the expert sleepers RE definitely works fine. Can be a bit clunky to return to a patch after shutting down reason as it does not seem to save the calibration data (I could certainly be wrong about this, just haven't figured out how to do it), so you have to re patch some things on the software and hardware sides and re-calibrate, which can be a bit wonky.

If I'm sending quantized note CV out of reason I tend to send it MIDI out (EMI) and into the qMI2 to be routed around the modular.

The Robotic Bean stuff doesn't haven't any calibration process, just a solid CV to audio/audio to CV conversion. I think it refers you to the expert sleepers RE for sending quantized note CV in the manual (I've tried using the RB RE for note CV but the tracking/quantization doesn't convert well, it seems. I'm definitely no expert, though!). To be honest, attenuators/polarizers/offsets would be great to have built into the actual RE. Would be very cool.

So after rambling for a bit there and thinking about it a little more... yes I think an all in one solution would be really slick! Perhaps with saveable calibration profiles and CVable attenuators/polarizers, MIDI controllable quanziters, and maybe some multiple inputs for CV mixing? :puf_bigsmile: Hah, sorry I'm getting a bit ahead of myself.

Sorry for the long-winded response! Heh, as I said I'm definitely no expert, just relating my experiences with Reason + Euro thus far.

Faastwalker

05 Nov 2018

Crumbfort wrote:
05 Nov 2018

Great to hear from someone using the Expert Sleepers modules with Reason. How are they? Do they work well with Reason? I've been thinking about getting an ES-8 to bring the modular stuff in & out of Reason. Would be a very powerful combination if it all worked as I hope it does. But I've not seen anyone demoing the set-up. I've heard of a couple of people using the ES modules with Reason. But beyond this information has been a little thin on the ground.

Crumbfort

05 Nov 2018

I really like them! They do work great with Reason (and Reaper, only two I've tried).

I've been finding it fun to set up a bunch of templates with the ES-3/6/7. Made a really complicated quad MIDI controlled quantizer involving a few PSQs, lots of LFOs, randoms, etc... Right now I'm having fun with a dual XY pad/dual fader/2x sets of 4 buttons for switching scales on the o_C (controlled via Lemur on the old ipad).

What kind of stuff are looking looking to do with the ES-8, Faastwalker?

EDIT: almost forgot. I really enjoy all of this guys videos. Here's an expert sleepers focused one if you haven't scoped it already:

Faastwalker

05 Nov 2018

Crumbfort wrote:
05 Nov 2018
What kind of stuff are looking looking to do with the ES-8, Faastwalker?
The main thing will be to utilise Reason's many sequencing, modulation sources to send to the modular / Eurorack gear. But it will also be useful to send CV/audio from the outside back in to Reason. I've only got a small Eurorack case (TipTop Audio Happy ending) with 80hp of space + a Kilpatrick Phenol. I'm thinking of concentrating mainly on audio sources & nice analog modules (for example) for the Happy Ending with Reason taking care of the sequencing / modulation stuff. The ES-8 is not cheap & may be a bit overkill for my requirements & small amount of space. The Phenol has a MIDI to CV converter built in. I'm having a lot of fun sending a modulation source from Reason to control stuff outside. It works really well & gives a taste of the sort of things i'll be able to do with more MIDI to CV i/o.

selig
RE Developer

05 Nov 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
05 Nov 2018
Crumbfort wrote:
05 Nov 2018

Great to hear from someone using the Expert Sleepers modules with Reason. How are they? Do they work well with Reason? I've been thinking about getting an ES-8 to bring the modular stuff in & out of Reason. Would be a very powerful combination if it all worked as I hope it does. But I've not seen anyone demoing the set-up. I've heard of a couple of people using the ES modules with Reason. But beyond this information has been a little thin on the ground.
Same here, always good to hear actual experience.
I was interested in the USB model since my current interface doesn't have light pipe.
That way you get bi-directional support with a single module, which would be simple and handy and wouldn't require any audio interface at all (and I could use my iPad or my computer). Plus there's also bi-directional light pipe if I get an interface that supports it (which I'm look into).

Vermona´s QMI2 looks sweet for MIDI - how is it's clocking? Clocking is something else I'd be interested in having working simple and tight.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information