Are You Serious?!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
calebbrennan

07 Jul 2018

My program is better than your program

I am light years beyond all of you with my superior tech

I'm running Pi Version: 3.14Jenny8675309
Look it up

It's better than any program out there
vastly superior

two shoes

17 Jul 2018

As someone who has been wandering in the proverbial DAW wilderness since they took my Acid away long, long ago (yes I know there's a new version) I feel like I have a musical home for the first time in many years since rediscovering Reason a few months ago. While I agree with much of the criticism that's been leveled at Pheads in this thread I'm also having more fun making music in the current version of Reason than I've ever had with any other DAW. Incidentally, I'm also on course to spend about 4-5% of my income this year buying up every last RE in the damn shop to fill up my new toybox.

My biggest fear in relation to all the problems mentinoed in this thread is that no one making decisions at Pheads even knows this thread exists or would bother to read it if they did. As several people have mentioned there are some very very simple feature requests that most definitely do not require ground up rewrites of the entire codebase that Pheads has been ignoring for years and years. I was using Reaper for two or three years awhile back and the developer of that program was incredibly engaged with their user base and responsive to their needs and wants, and the level of adoration and loyalty that engendered (along with very progressive pricing and licensing models) from their customers was amazing. Meanwhile a near unanimous clamor from the Reason user base for some extremely basic quality of life and workflow improvements (stuff that literally every other major DAW has had for 5-6+ years or as long as it has existed) is completely ignored year after year, release after release.... but hey, check out these amazing new medieval choir and wineglass instruments we've been spending those development resources on!

Apparently Pheads even shut down the official Reason forum a few years back to rid themselves of the incessant nagging from their pesky customers?? That pretty much sums it up - closing down a forum that is the user base's primary means of communicating with the company and each other and throwing away years of community building and knowledge sharing effort your customer's have contributed towards the success of your software is the most arrogant and contemptuous thing I've ever heard of a DAW company doing. I'm having a blast with Reason and I sincerely hope it's future is long and bright, but I also completely understand the OP's perspective and it doesn't surprise me one bit to hear that many long-time Reason users are leaving the platform.

Reason is within shouting distance of being the DAW of my (and probably a lot of other people's) dreams at this point, but it really feels like it could go either way from here. If Pheads wants to attract (and keep) more enthusiastic new customers like myself then they really need to stop sniffing their own sweet Swedish farts and start listening to their users in the worst kind of way.

jlgrimes

17 Jul 2018

two shoes wrote:
17 Jul 2018
As someone who has been wandering in the proverbial DAW wilderness since they took my Acid away long, long ago (yes I know there's a new version) I feel like I have a musical home for the first time in many years since rediscovering Reason a few months ago. While I agree with much of the criticism that's been leveled at Pheads in this thread I'm also having more fun making music in the current version of Reason than I've ever had with any other DAW. Incidentally, I'm also on course to spend about 4-5% of my income this year buying up every last RE in the damn shop to fill up my new toybox.

My biggest fear in relation to all the problems mentinoed in this thread is that no one making decisions at Pheads even knows this thread exists or would bother to read it if they did. As several people have mentioned there are some very very simple feature requests that most definitely do not require ground up rewrites of the entire codebase that Pheads has been ignoring for years and years. I was using Reaper for two or three years awhile back and the developer of that program was incredibly engaged with their user base and responsive to their needs and wants, and the level of adoration and loyalty that engendered (along with very progressive pricing and licensing models) from their customers was amazing. Meanwhile a near unanimous clamor from the Reason user base for some extremely basic quality of life and workflow improvements (stuff that literally every other major DAW has had for 5-6+ years or as long as it has existed) is completely ignored year after year, release after release.... but hey, check out these amazing new medieval choir and wineglass instruments we've been spending those development resources on!

Apparently Pheads even shut down the official Reason forum a few years back to rid themselves of the incessant nagging from their pesky customers?? That pretty much sums it up - closing down a forum that is the user base's primary means of communicating with the company and each other and throwing away years of community building and knowledge sharing effort your customer's have contributed towards the success of your software is the most arrogant and contemptuous thing I've ever heard of a DAW company doing. I'm having a blast with Reason and I sincerely hope it's future is long and bright, but I also completely understand the OP's perspective and it doesn't surprise me one bit to hear that many long-time Reason users are leaving the platform.

Reason is within shouting distance of being the DAW of my (and probably a lot of other people's) dreams at this point, but it really feels like it could go either way from here. If Pheads wants to attract (and keep) more enthusiastic new customers like myself then they really need to stop sniffing their own sweet Swedish farts and start listening to their users in the worst kind of way.

Yeah. I agree with most of what you are saying.

That said, I'm pretty sure the Props check this forum out as Props people do check in from time to time.

But I do wish the Props (and other companies) were a little more interactive. It looks like they are trying. I am not saying they need to be on Reaper's level of interaction and feature depth, but some more smaller workflow enhancement upgrades would be nice (like changing grid resolution with keyboard shortcuts). I would think certain requests users are asking could be rolled into minor updates more often.

To be fair Props have been giving better minor releases over the past few years though, in the earlier days from like version 3 to version 5, Reason's minor releases were pretty dry.

I would love a minor release version where Props focus on "small" unmarketable features that helps enhance Reason's workflow, like better keybinding support, piano roll enhancements like snap to grid, maybe some better automation/velocity tools, Note muting, Adjusting transient sensitivity for slice markers, Bigger track height size, scales in pitch detector, Reworking the tool popup menu, Redesigning/updating Regroove mixer, Track Freeze.

These features would probably be yawners to some if done in major releases, but I'm sure just a fraction of these in a 10.2 would make some very happy users.

ClassickHitz

18 Jul 2018

I beg your pardon in advance if this point was already addressed as I didn't read all of the reply comments.

I'm really not sure when or why it happened. But a few Reason users somehow adopted the thought process that this software is all they'll ever need or use in order to do this so-called music thing. It has become so engraved in their DNA of thought that it's taken as a personal insult to them when something they feel should be included in the software isn't. How'd this become so the norm for some of you?

Let me present this analogy:

When one store doesn't have what you're looking for an average person usually just goes to another store. They don't walk the aisles of the said store complaining to other customers about how this grocer ran out of bread or doesn't sell or offer this or that. Any normal thinking person just goes to where what they are seeking has availability.

It starts to border on ridiculous if you really think about it. Those who are even halfway serious about making music, using a DAW, usually have more than one resource oftentimes than not. Especially if a certain something isn't getting the desired results. Now, if you are a part of the chosen few who only use a main rig of sorts, be it a DAW or whatever, then kudos to you. You've possibly mastered a thing :)

However, for those thinking that only using Reason, Logic Pro X, Bitwig etc. exclusively is the norm, I feel sorry for you. You'll always be angry at an imaginary concept conjured up by a false sense of understanding absolutely nothing at all.

Troublemecca

18 Jul 2018

ClassickHitz wrote:I beg your pardon in advance if this point was already addressed as I didn't read all of the reply comments.

I'm really not sure when or why it happened. But a few Reason users somehow adopted the thought process that this software is all they'll ever need or use in order to do this so-called music thing. It has become so engraved in their DNA of thought that it's taken as a personal insult to them when something they feel should be included in the software isn't. How'd this become so the norm for some of you?

When one store doesn't have what you're looking for an average person usually just goes to another store. They don't walk the aisles of the said store complaining to other customers about how this grocer ran out of bread or doesn't sell or offer this or that. Any normal thinking person just goes to where what they are seeking has availability.

It starts to border on ridiculous if you really think about it. Those who are even halfway serious about making music, using a DAW, usually have more than one resource oftentimes than not. Especially if a certain something isn't getting the desired results. Now, if you are a part of the chosen few who only use a main rig of sorts, be it a DAW or whatever, then kudos to you. You've possibly mastered a thing :)

However, for those thinking that only using Reason, Logic Pro X, Bitwig etc. exclusively is the norm, I feel sorry for you. You'll always be angry at an imaginary concept conjured up by a false sense of understanding absolutely nothing at all.
I think there are some pretty good criticisms in here... Not so much about wanting what other DAWs have as making Reason more functional. That any functionality is ubiquitous among other DAWs but absent from Reason does show a certain disregard for the users needs.

That said I love Reason as is, and I hope they continue to improve it.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

QVprod

19 Jul 2018

ClassickHitz wrote:
18 Jul 2018
I beg your pardon in advance if this point was already addressed as I didn't read all of the reply comments.

I say this all the time (and probably in this thread). Yes Reason can use plenty of updates, but if what it lacks is a workflow killer, there’s probably something better for the task.

GRIFTY

20 Jul 2018

This guy is right, propellers need to stop pumping money into their marketing department and hire a new team of developers with experience using Ableton, FL, protools, etc. There are humongously stupid things baked into this software, to the point where it seems like a very advanced student project

chaosroyale

20 Jul 2018

Yes, I agree. Mattias and co. seem like great guys who are really passionate about music, and I want them to succeed, but for the last few years props seems to be spending most of their time releasing shiny but pointless rack extensions instead of updating the actual core software and core devices (example: any time or effort spent on umpf could have been spent updating redrum and kong, now we have 3 under-powered drum machines instead of 2 great ones).

I was happy about Europa VST because that was a bold, forward-looking marketing move, but one that efficiently exploited existing design and code to promote the brand and make some money at the same time. If they can put those profits towards a core update, great.
GRIFTY wrote:
20 Jul 2018
This guy is right, propellers need to stop pumping money into their marketing department and hire a new team of developers with experience using Ableton, FL, protools, etc. There are humongously stupid things baked into this software, to the point where it seems like a very advanced student project

hurricane
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2018

kimothebeatmaker wrote:
29 Jun 2018
There is a perfect DAW...and it's name is Logic Pro X.
Ha! YES!
antic604 wrote:
28 Jun 2018
Not to be nitpicky, but Props said "no paid upgrade this year" which means we won't see v11 this year. Unless you meant Sept 2019 :)
I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a fast one on us all and the next release this year is Reason 11 and it was FREE.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

calebbrennan

27 Jul 2018

I'm telling you flatout,...my synthesizer is better than any synth invented
And my Daw is way better than a superior Daw!
Dawgonnit!

Do with what you have.

• Information