Reason Electric Bass - new RE from Props, 99EUR

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
superpop

14 Jul 2018

Ottostrom wrote:
14 Jul 2018
aeox wrote:
13 Jul 2018

I'm sure they have a different team of people working on stuff like this
This. I hate it when people assume that PH is like two guys sharing one computer. It's a company with different departments working on different stuff, just like most other companies..
Well Cockos is like two guys doing this: https://landoleet.org/whatsnew5.txt

:puf_smile:

QVprod

14 Jul 2018

ejanuska wrote:
13 Jul 2018
I guess I was the only one hoping PH was working on something worthwhile rather than spending time repackaging bass refills into REs.

Honestly, do we need another bass RE? Is this going to supply some new bass sounds? No, it's another plug-in that attempts to create the bass sounds of yesteryear by recording those good old actual bass guitars. There are plenty of REs and VSTs that are much richer sounding then a virtual Fender Jazz through a virtual vintage amp.

I'm a big fan of Papen's SubBoomBassRE. I can great bass sounds out of that. Even Subtractor has great bass sounds. Is this what happens when you get capital infusions from investors? No more real progress, just repackage shit to keep the money coming in.

Even at $5 I wouldn't buy this.
Umm... This is the only bass guitar RE that exists. Not understanding the comparison of synth bass to bass guitar. They sound very different, and usually have different use purposes. Besides... It's just a Rack Extension, not a brand new Reason version.

Reasonable man

14 Jul 2018

I think the electric bass refill sounds great with a pulveriser and a scream in the the inserts. I imagine this 4g rack will be soarer on cpu than the current combinators and im pretty sure all these sounds are pretty easily achievable in the current format too.
The reason drum refill is alot more complicated ...if they do a re for that then i'm in.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2018

Well it seems that if you don’t have the refill then it’s totally worth €40 for this RE. Otherwise...well that’s up to the individual I guess. I know if I didn’t already have the refill I’d have already bought this by now.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Kalm

14 Jul 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
13 Jul 2018
No audio in :thumbs_down: so you can't use the stomp boxes as FX.
I was going to say this seems like a decent upgrade from the refill, but NO AUDIO IN :shock: :shock: :shock: . . . . they blew this opportunity
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

sublunar

14 Jul 2018

Kalm wrote:
14 Jul 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
13 Jul 2018
No audio in :thumbs_down: so you can't use the stomp boxes as FX.
I was going to say this seems like a decent upgrade from the refill, but NO AUDIO IN :shock: :shock: :shock: . . . . they blew this opportunity
At first I was excited, then I was disappointed.

tc13

14 Jul 2018

tibah wrote:
14 Jul 2018
Hmm. The promo code, as mentioned in the blog post, also works without the ReFill being registered. So I guess everyone can get the discount?
I never had the refill and tried the code in the blog, and I got the discount :shock: :lol:

tibah

14 Jul 2018

tc13 wrote:
14 Jul 2018
tibah wrote:
14 Jul 2018
Hmm. The promo code, as mentioned in the blog post, also works without the ReFill being registered. So I guess everyone can get the discount?
I never had the refill and tried the code in the blog, and I got the discount :shock: :lol:
Yea. It's a weird interpretation/phrasing by PH. "For owners of the ReFill even if unregistered" vs. "You can get this RE cheaper using this code". If there is no control over the purchases made with the code and if the code isn't limited to a time period. ;)

zumBeispiel

14 Jul 2018

OK, if anyone can have the discount, then as owner of the refill and even registered, I want to pay this RE not more than $19.90 ;)

kitekrazy

14 Jul 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
13 Jul 2018
I have used the reason bass refill since its initial release and glad to see this in an RE device. I love my refills but in this day in age I look to use my Rack extensions first for quicker manipulation.

At 3.7 GB this is far smaller than almost all of my big VST libraries some which are 70+ GB. I only wish we could install RE's in a different folder location.

With the discount bringing this down to 38 big time hard cold cash dollars this is a no brainier for me. At 99 dollars this may be a hard sell for those that don't need a new bass instruments.

with that being said I am downloading the trial before spending my 38 big time hard cold cash dollars but will without a doubt I know I am going to enjoy this.

Any chance for a VST version.
I still can't figure out why this is such a hurdle for them. I will never buy sample based REs.

cognitive

14 Jul 2018

I already have the original Reason Bass Refill, and with the Softube Bass Amp and Kuassa's Cerberus already in my rack, I'm having trouble justifying the upgrade, even for $39.

Plus, the new RE seems to use more CPU on average than the combinators from the original Refill, even if I add a Cerberus and an effect or two to the original Refill combinator.

That's what I'm seeing on my machine. YMMV.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2018

kitekrazy wrote:
14 Jul 2018
ltbrunt00 wrote:
13 Jul 2018
I have used the reason bass refill since its initial release and glad to see this in an RE device. I love my refills but in this day in age I look to use my Rack extensions first for quicker manipulation.

At 3.7 GB this is far smaller than almost all of my big VST libraries some which are 70+ GB. I only wish we could install RE's in a different folder location.

With the discount bringing this down to 38 big time hard cold cash dollars this is a no brainier for me. At 99 dollars this may be a hard sell for those that don't need a new bass instruments.

with that being said I am downloading the trial before spending my 38 big time hard cold cash dollars but will without a doubt I know I am going to enjoy this.

Any chance for a VST version.
I still can't figure out why this is such a hurdle for them. I will never buy sample based REs.
I have all my RE's on a different drive, I just use MKLINK..
e.g. mklink /J "C:\Users\Carly\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions" "D:\Mklink\RackExtensions"

NekujaK

14 Jul 2018

Don't know if this is techically possible, but it would've been really cool if the RE could detect the presence (or prompt for it) of the original refill and use those samples instead of redundantly installing them.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Jmax

14 Jul 2018

I don't mind at all that Props are turning there older refills into RE's. It's awesome that they're always coming out with new stuff. That being said, the Refill is good enough for me. If your hardcore into the basses etc.. then this is for you.

I'd like to give it a try anyway for kicks.

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2018

superpop wrote:
14 Jul 2018
Ottostrom wrote:
14 Jul 2018

This. I hate it when people assume that PH is like two guys sharing one computer. It's a company with different departments working on different stuff, just like most other companies..

Doing what? Propellerhead more than likely makes similar minor updates/fixes the time(we just don't have a list of them, it's probably internal only). If you read that change log from Cockos.. they practically put anything in there! "Bob, I changed the color of a panel!! Update the change log!!" Okay.. bit of tongue in cheek. There are actually some pretty nice updates in those logs.

Really though, you can't compare Reaper to Reason :)

QVprod

14 Jul 2018

aeox wrote:
14 Jul 2018
superpop wrote:
14 Jul 2018

Doing what? Propellerhead more than likely makes similar minor updates/fixes the time(we just don't have a list of them, it's probably internal only). If you read that change log from Cockos.. they practically put anything in there! "Bob, I changed the color of a panel!! Update the change log!!" Okay.. bit of tongue in cheek. There are actually some pretty nice updates in those logs.

Yep all those updates are bug fixes, not new features. Probably because Cockos only has like 2 people.

superpop

14 Jul 2018

QVprod wrote:
14 Jul 2018
aeox wrote:
14 Jul 2018

Yep all those updates are bug fixes, not new features. Probably because Cockos only has like 2 people.
Yes and no. There's a lot of new features after updates. You can see here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +whats+new

Sorry that I derailed the thread.

QVprod

14 Jul 2018

superpop wrote:
14 Jul 2018
QVprod wrote:
14 Jul 2018

Yes and no. There's a lot of new features after updates. You can see here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +whats+new

Sorry that I derailed the thread.
Ok exaggeration on the word "all" but even those new features are still relatively minor. Especially to what some people seem to expect out of Reason to be upset about a bass RE.

stfual

15 Jul 2018

Ottostrom wrote:
14 Jul 2018
How do you know it isnt? I've worked for software companies that had no internal development or support at all, everything was outsourced. They claimed a large staff but it was sales, marketing, finance and legal. You could be right but there is no transparency. The RE model allows for outsourcing of code extensions on a shared revenue basis or one time fee, the lack of feature development on the core package suggests they dont have a huge internal team. The last release was basically all extensions. The problem with maturity in software is the innovators always leave for bright shiny new stuff (or better money), and nobody understands or cares about the legacy code well enough to tamper with it. The problem with outsourcing is maintenance. When you have to raise a purchase order against profit to fix bugs they don't get fixed. This isn't unique. I own Soundforge which is also under new ownership and they just did their "biggest update ever".
It's basically a recompile for 64 bit and a bundle of third party VSTs. I didn't bite there at $199 and i'm not buying a repackaged refill for $99 either.

softska

15 Jul 2018

Jmax wrote:
14 Jul 2018
If your hardcore into the basses etc.. then this is for you.
If you're hardcore into bass I'd imagine you'd want access to sample zones and reroute the FX.. Which you now no longer can. Refill is the better package (not necessary the UI, just flexibility wise)

Hard to not be disappointed how long NNXT had been lay dormant for so long

Iapetus 9

15 Jul 2018

So I get a fancy discount and a fancy RE for a Refill I already own? No thanks, only bought the refill for the decent sounding Ricky samples.
38L > 51D every time.

Loque

15 Jul 2018

After all comments i read, i decided not to buy it. i was kind of biased. the final decision was made like, do i want to support that? I like the idea of moving refills to good RE. I appreciate PH to remember their customers, really...ty! But i do not want more stuff of that? No, i dont want and i dont need that. i do not buy it.
Reason12, Win10

NekujaK

15 Jul 2018

I've decided to pass, too. I don't necessarily have a problem with the Props creating REs out of some of their signature refills - it's more about my bass guitar needs being more than satisfied by IK's Modo Bass, which is superior to Reason Bass in every way. I think my initial fascination with the RE was just a touch of nostalgia.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Jul 2018

I've kind of been waiting for someone to say something to convince me that this was in some way better than the refill so I could go ahead and buy it...call it a sickness if you will. It wasn't happening so I went back and opened up the refill and I've been writing tunes for the past two hours with super cool basslines. So if nothing else, the RE has sparked my creativity without me having to buy it. :) Happy days.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Soeno

15 Jul 2018

is this the electric bass refill from 2007?
it's not bad and with a new gui for 39 it would be ok imo

• Information