Reason Electric Bass - new RE from Props, 99EUR

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
antic604

13 Jul 2018

Reason Electric Bass is a powerful Rack Extension that delivers everything you need to easily create dynamic, responsive, believable bass lines in Reason. Quickly find the right sound with an arsenal of meticulously sampled vintage and contemporary electric bass guitars. Reason Electric Bass is the ultimate tool for laying down the low-end—guaranteed to get your feet moving, whatever your genre.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... tric-bass/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2018

antic604 wrote:
13 Jul 2018
Reason Electric Bass is a powerful Rack Extension that delivers everything you need to easily create dynamic, responsive, believable bass lines in Reason. Quickly find the right sound with an arsenal of meticulously sampled vintage and contemporary electric bass guitars. Reason Electric Bass is the ultimate tool for laying down the low-end—guaranteed to get your feet moving, whatever your genre.
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... tric-bass/
Beat me to it man :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

13 Jul 2018

MrFigg wrote:
13 Jul 2018
It's not a competition :)

Is it really a repackaged refill, as you seem to suggest in your post? I'm quite new to Reason and do electronic music, so I wouldn't know.

However, just like with Umpf, it would be much more tempting at 50% of the price... :(

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2018

antic604 wrote:
13 Jul 2018
MrFigg wrote:
13 Jul 2018
It's not a competition :)

Is it really a repackaged refill, as you seem to suggest in your post? I'm quite new to Reason and do electronic music, so I wouldn't know.

However, just like with Umpf, it would be much more tempting at 50% of the price... :(
Well the video says “a classic reborn” plus a load of stompboxes. Don’t really know. Anyway...all this new stuff makes the wait until Black Friday totally worth it ha ha ha :). Cynical eh? :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Ahornberg

13 Jul 2018

No audio in :thumbs_down: so you can't use the stomp boxes as FX.

QVprod

13 Jul 2018

Didn't see this coming, but a smart move. Giving an old yet great refill new life. Different from Umpf though this is priced like any other similar quality instrument, less in some cases actually.

Loque

13 Jul 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
13 Jul 2018
The extra cost for the hardware would have raised the final price to 149€...
Reason12, Win10

buddard
RE Developer

13 Jul 2018

I think you get it for 39 if you already own the Refill. Check your mail!

NekujaK

13 Jul 2018

I used to use the Reason Bass Refill on almost every production (rock, pop, Americana, etc.), but abruptly stopped when I replaced it with IK's amazing Modo Bass. But the PHead voucher offer for previous owners of the refill makes this a tempting proposition. There were several bass sounds that I really liked in the refill.
Ahornberg wrote:
13 Jul 2018
If I recall correctly, these effects were baked into various combinators within the refill and used native Reason rack effects - there were no discrete stomp boxes per se. If they've implemented a strict repackage of the refill, then it's understandable why there's no audio in - you can simply use the existing rack effects already in Reason if you want those effects.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

challism

13 Jul 2018

I was expecting to see an A-list Bass before something like this. They have guitars and drums, so it seemed like the bass would have been the obvious next instrument.

Those stomp boxes look cool. I would like to see more REs that looks like stomp boxes/custom fx boards.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

selig
RE Developer

13 Jul 2018

NekujaK wrote:
13 Jul 2018
I used to use the Reason Bass Refill on almost every production (rock, pop, Americana, etc.), but abruptly stopped when I replaced it with IK's amazing Modo Bass. But the PHead voucher offer for previous owners of the refill makes this a tempting proposition. There were several bass sounds that I really liked in the refill.
Ahornberg wrote:
13 Jul 2018
If I recall correctly, these effects were baked into various combinators within the refill and used native Reason rack effects - there were no discrete stomp boxes per se. If they've implemented a strict repackage of the refill, then it's understandable why there's no audio in - you can simply use the existing rack effects already in Reason if you want those effects.
The amps are "baked in", meaning if you switch amps there is a delay to load the other samples. The microphones and the stomp boxes are not so much "baked in" at the sample level, but the FX cannot be moved to a different point in the signal path and not every mic is available with every amp.

BUT, there IS a separate output on the back for the direct sound, which means you can use any amp/FX you want, Cerberus from Kuassa being an obvious choice because you can do everything but the chorus effect from that amp (amp/speaker/mic sim, graphic EQ, 4 band EQ, distortion, compression, and dry/wet control - PLUS a noise gate and output limiter!).
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2018

I’m not home. I’ve got Electruc Bass refill. Could someone who knows be as good as to let me know if this is just essentially the refill in a more convenient format with some extra effects. Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

zumBeispiel

13 Jul 2018

It's a 3.7 GB download.

Just wondering... is 3.7 GB a record for a single RE or are there even bigger REs than this in the shop?

Actually is it 4.3 GB!

BassRE.png
Last edited by zumBeispiel on 14 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

QVprod

13 Jul 2018

MrFigg wrote:
13 Jul 2018
I’m not home. I’ve got Electruc Bass refill. Could someone who knows be as good as to let me know if this is just essentially the refill in a more convenient format with some extra effects. Thanks :)
That's exactly what it is. Hence the same name.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2018

QVprod wrote:
13 Jul 2018
MrFigg wrote:
13 Jul 2018
That's exactly what it is. Hence the same name.
Thanks. Was trying to work out if it was worth the €40 for a nice user interface. Think I’ll pass. Thanks again.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

miscend

13 Jul 2018

zumBeispiel wrote:
13 Jul 2018
It's a 3.7 GB download.

Just wondering... is 3.7 GB a record for a single RE or are there even bigger REs than this in the shop?
There are bigger ones like Hydronexius. Basically all the romplers.

ltbrunt00

13 Jul 2018

I have used the reason bass refill since its initial release and glad to see this in an RE device. I love my refills but in this day in age I look to use my Rack extensions first for quicker manipulation.

At 3.7 GB this is far smaller than almost all of my big VST libraries some which are 70+ GB. I only wish we could install RE's in a different folder location.

With the discount bringing this down to 38 big time hard cold cash dollars this is a no brainier for me. At 99 dollars this may be a hard sell for those that don't need a new bass instruments.

with that being said I am downloading the trial before spending my 38 big time hard cold cash dollars but will without a doubt I know I am going to enjoy this.

Any chance for a VST version.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Bes
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2018

it is actually a 4.3Gb download
- Certified Reason expert

eusti

13 Jul 2018

I guess I was the only one hoping this would be an A-list Bass Player device...

D.

ejanuska

13 Jul 2018

I guess I was the only one hoping PH was working on something worthwhile rather than spending time repackaging bass refills into REs.

Honestly, do we need another bass RE? Is this going to supply some new bass sounds? No, it's another plug-in that attempts to create the bass sounds of yesteryear by recording those good old actual bass guitars. There are plenty of REs and VSTs that are much richer sounding then a virtual Fender Jazz through a virtual vintage amp.

I'm a big fan of Papen's SubBoomBassRE. I can great bass sounds out of that. Even Subtractor has great bass sounds. Is this what happens when you get capital infusions from investors? No more real progress, just repackage shit to keep the money coming in.

Even at $5 I wouldn't buy this.

aeox
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2018

ejanuska wrote:
13 Jul 2018
I guess I was the only one hoping PH was working on something worthwhile rather than spending time repackaging bass refills into REs.

Honestly, do we need another bass RE? Is this going to supply some new bass sounds? No, it's another plug-in that attempts to create the bass sounds of yesteryear by recording those good old actual bass guitars. There are plenty of REs and VSTs that are much richer sounding then a virtual Fender Jazz through a virtual vintage amp.

I'm a big fan of Papen's SubBoomBassRE. I can great bass sounds out of that. Even Subtractor has great bass sounds. Is this what happens when you get capital infusions from investors? No more real progress, just repackage shit to keep the money coming in.

I'm sure they have a different team of people working on stuff like this

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Jul 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
13 Jul 2018
I have used the reason bass refill since its initial release and glad to see this in an RE device. I love my refills but in this day in age I look to use my Rack extensions first for quicker manipulation.

At 3.7 GB this is far smaller than almost all of my big VST libraries some which are 70+ GB. I only wish we could install RE's in a different folder location.

With the discount bringing this down to 38 big time hard cold cash dollars this is a no brainier for me. At 99 dollars this may be a hard sell for those that don't need a new bass instruments.

with that being said I am downloading the trial before spending my 38 big time hard cold cash dollars but will without a doubt I know I am going to enjoy this.

Any chance for a VST version.
Could you post your opinion (as an owner of the refill) on it if you get a minute. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

botnotbot

14 Jul 2018

I own the refill via the Backline Rig (or it might have been the RDK + Bass combo..). I don't see an email and I don't see a discount.

Anyone else in this situation?

Regarding a VST version.. in fact, that is exactly the largest single difference about packaging something as an RE. They have just demonstrated that they can put REs out as VSTs and as embedded iOS whatnots in Gadget.

SMFH @ all these haters who think under the hood work is quick or immediately visible or that Props have "given up" on progressing their stuff. I was literally just yesterday loading up the refill and kind of wishing for a singular, consistent interface across all these great bass patches, rather than dealing with custom combinators. So from my perspective Props is basically fulfilling wishes in real-time.

Technical question: Does anyone know if the pitch bend range can be extended? I love playing the originals on the Linnstrument, but it's only possible by altering the PB for all the sample groups. If this is a simple operation in the new RE, I'm in. If it's not an option at all, I'll stay out for now.

Ottostrom

14 Jul 2018

aeox wrote:
13 Jul 2018
ejanuska wrote:
13 Jul 2018

I'm sure they have a different team of people working on stuff like this
This. I hate it when people assume that PH is like two guys sharing one computer. It's a company with different departments working on different stuff, just like most other companies..

tibah

14 Jul 2018

Hmm. The promo code, as mentioned in the blog post, also works without the ReFill being registered. So I guess everyone can get the discount?

• Information