What features are REALLY necessary for Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kefkekeyser

06 Jul 2018

My features for Reason 11:

- MIDI channel support (the TAL-U-NO-LX arpeggiator can be synced to note on events on MIDI channel 16 but there is no way to do this in Reason)
- Improved remote override: remote override for the focused instrument/effect that can easily be saved as a default mapping (map an instrument/effect once and use that mapping every time, no need to fiddle with text files to save midi mappings)
- VST 3 support
- ReGroove mixer that can do random velocity (like random timing)
- More flexible automation curves (bezier curves)
- Crossfades
- Performance improvements
- Rebirth devices as rack extensions in Reason

jam-s

06 Jul 2018

Reason 11 should implement a temporal expander. So you can work on your ideas for 12 hours during your two hour recreational time...

hurricane
Competition Winner

07 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018

In the past when this subject as come up, it turns out what folks really want is to be able to mute/solo mixer channels (not tracks) in the sequencer. This is difficult but not impossible, because mixer channels do not appear in the sequencer by default!

So IMO it’s not about trying to link two unrelated functions, it’s about duplicating the mixer controls for Mute/Solo in the sequencer. This requires adding an additional sequencer track for every mixer channel, which will definitely clutter the UI unless they also allow show/hide (please!).

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
I don't care how they do it but even today this screws me up. Mute things on the SEQ page, leave my desk for a while, come back, switch to the rack, parts aren't playing and I'm wondering why - nothing appears to be muted here in the rack. Switch to the mixer - hmmmm nothing is muted here....go back to rack, maybe something is connected incorrectly. Nope, is Reason being funky on me or what? What the hell. OHHHHHHHH! I had some tracks muted in the SEQ page! Mutherducker.

It would be nice to have some kind of mute/solo indicator everywhere - even if it doesn't actually mute and solo things, I still would like some kind of visual clue that I have things muted or solo'd in the SEQ.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Mmj85

07 Jul 2018

For me, here is my list:

- The Sequencer (Audio/MIDI Editing Features)
- Freezing Function/ Save CPU resources
- Group Bus Bounce in place
- Device Link Feature/ for mixing and sound design
(Here is a link for more info on the "LINK" idea) viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7507757
- SSL MIXER IN THE RACK
(Here is a link for this request) viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7507778
Last edited by Mmj85 on 09 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

djadalaide

08 Jul 2018

selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018
PelTek wrote: 5) Unified solos and mutes (one solo/mute for mixer and seq)
+1 to all (almost)…
I love all of these suggestions, except #5 is impossible to do since you can’t combine two totally different functions into one just because they have the same name. I don’t know all other DAWs, but can speak for Pro Tools which has separate mute/solo for MIDI and Audio tracks. For me the issue is the way the Big Mixer (SSL) was added to the existing ecosystem, which required working this way.
Here's my thoughts. On each channel, you have go to track and go to rack buttons, so why not have a midi mute there as well? It can say

[AUDIO] [AUDIO]
[MUTE] [SOLO]

[MIDI] [MIDI]
[MUTE] [SOLO]

sdst
Competition Winner

08 Jul 2018

since vst support, my REALLY necessary thing are

1-cpu optimization

2-hide mixer channels

3-custom keyboard shortcuts

4-Rack zoom

I'm fine just with that

eiresurfer

09 Jul 2018

Probably mentioned before on this thread...

The audio editor has never, ever felt quite right to me. I can't put my finger on it, too confusing maybe? I always thought the Cubase audio editor was better (and the last time I used Cubase was around 2006).

jam-s

09 Jul 2018

hurricane wrote:
07 Jul 2018
I don't care how they do it but even today this screws me up. Mute things on the SEQ page, leave my desk for a while, come back, switch to the rack, parts aren't playing and I'm wondering why - nothing appears to be muted here in the rack. Switch to the mixer - hmmmm nothing is muted here....go back to rack, maybe something is connected incorrectly. Nope, is Reason being funky on me or what? What the hell. OHHHHHHHH! I had some tracks muted in the SEQ page! Mutherducker.

It would be nice to have some kind of mute/solo indicator everywhere - even if it doesn't actually mute and solo things, I still would like some kind of visual clue that I have things muted or solo'd in the SEQ.
As all reason instruments are required to have an indicator to signal that they are receiving midi notes I don't see a real problem here, as a muted sequencer track will lead to that device not receiving any midi notes and thus you can see from the rack, that the sequencer track is most likely muted.

hurricane
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2018

jam-s wrote:
09 Jul 2018
hurricane wrote:
07 Jul 2018

As all reason instruments are required to have an indicator to signal that they are receiving midi notes I don't see a real problem here, as a muted sequencer track will lead to that device not receiving any midi notes and thus you can see from the rack, that the sequencer track is most likely muted.

Looks to me like you have never tried this in practice because if you had, you'd realize this does no good to help visualize mutes and solos.

Here, tell me which instrument has been SOLOd on the sequencer page (and yes the track is playing):

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 12.51.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 12.51.01 PM.png (971.87 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

chaosroyale

09 Jul 2018

It is impossible to simply make a direct 1-to-1 link for muting the main mixer and midi channels, because the whole point of the Rack is that it is, well, like a rack, and you can route anything anywhere.

However, maybe it would be possible to put a midi mute "indicator light" on each device for visual reference, or to have a (hideable) "channel mute" indicator if a mixer track is attached to a device currently being viewed in the sequencer (bearing in mind, plenty of mixer tracks could be from things not even represented in the midi sequencer, such as audio splitters).

I'd argue that dealing with this issue is high in cost and low in benefit, a bit of a "hammer to crack a walnut", compared to many other more pressing issues such as hi-res GUI and improved resolution + curves for automation.

dvdrtldg

09 Jul 2018

EdGrip wrote:
05 Jul 2018
Nice!
Following my rant the other day, I'd better add that I think REX functionality really needs looking at. ^_^
(and a keyboard shortcut for naming clips, please)
I'd love to see some sort of playback visualisation as a rex file is running. Also, when in Slice edit mode, the waveform gets greyed out to the point where it can be really hard to see the smaller slices (and my eyesight is fine). This always annoys me, would love to see it addressed

C//AZM

10 Jul 2018

djadalaide wrote:
08 Jul 2018
selig wrote:
05 Jul 2018

+1 to all (almost)…
I love all of these suggestions, except #5 is impossible to do since you can’t combine two totally different functions into one just because they have the same name. I don’t know all other DAWs, but can speak for Pro Tools which has separate mute/solo for MIDI and Audio tracks. For me the issue is the way the Big Mixer (SSL) was added to the existing ecosystem, which required working this way.
Here's my thoughts. On each channel, you have go to track and go to rack buttons, so why not have a midi mute there as well? It can say

[AUDIO] [AUDIO]
[MUTE] [SOLO]

[MIDI] [MIDI]
[MUTE] [SOLO]
I like that idea. On the mixer, have two smaller buttons with solo and mute for midi channel where applicable and on the sequencer, have a tiny channel fader, with mute and solo buttons like in the edit window protools, and most other DAWS.
The only problem might be when there's a long chain of instrument, effects, compressor, etc...between the sequencer data and the mix channel.

I think in this case Props has it right and it's more versatile than what we're used to with other DAWs, but it's the right way.

Selig and I argued about that back in the old props forum. Like many people here, I didn't agree with him/them until I had several mix channels tracks coming from one midi track and could easily make the distinction between the two solo/mute sets. IMHO, he's right. It's better to get used to learning that particular -more versatile- method than changing it.

I was working recently on a song which took all of my DSP. What I was able to do was solo the Kong and the Bass tracks, then work on mixing those 12 channels. All the other instruments weren't only muted, but they were TURNED OFF as far as DSP was concerned. Still I was able to solo individual drum channels on the mixer and mix the drums and the bass. If they were unified, I wouldn't be able to be as versatile.
Yes, it's more difficult to think that way, but it is exactly the same as muting or soloing a hardware instrument at the sequencer versus doing so on the mixer. If you ever mixed while triggering a four or eight bar sample on a sampler, then you know the joy of being able to mute at the sequencer versus at the mixer.

jam-s

10 Jul 2018

hurricane wrote:
09 Jul 2018
Here, tell me which instrument has been SOLOd on the sequencer page (and yes the track is playing):
Simple: Press F6 and scroll to the green S. (I really don't get why you would want to even try to spot this in the rack. But if you really wanted to you would have to unfold the devices so you can see the midi indicator lights.) :?

manem78

12 Jul 2018

- VST support in Rewire mode.
- Custom MIDI implementation. Useful for NNXT automation.

selig
RE Developer

12 Jul 2018

C//AZM wrote:
djadalaide wrote:
08 Jul 2018

[AUDIO] [AUDIO]
[MUTE] [SOLO]

[MIDI] [MIDI]
[MUTE] [SOLO]
I like that idea. On the mixer, have two smaller buttons with solo and mute for midi channel where applicable and on the sequencer, have a tiny channel fader, with mute and solo buttons like in the edit window protools, and most other DAWS.
The only problem might be when there's a long chain of instrument, effects, compressor, etc...between the sequencer data and the mix channel.
For the record, I TOTALLY get why the current approach is confusing and can waste time when trying to remember which place you solo/muted things.

But I also would prefer a simpler approach to the problem, which must be first defined before it can be solved. So much of the time we get caught up in discussing the proposed solution without first determining whether or not there is a BETTER solution.

What I find, and what I read from others, is that the biggest problem is that once you leave the sequencer page and are in the Rack or mixer, there is no way to un-mute or in-solo a sequencer track without returning to the sequencer. Worse, there is no way to see which tracks are soloed, because in the rack and mixer you only see “channels” not “tracks”. Short of a system wide re-design to address this (which I’d love to discuss in a different thread), there may be simpler fixes available.

Typically what you want to do in these situations is un-mute or un-solo all sequencer tracks, which would easily be solved with a key command to allow this without leaving the rack/mixer.

At the least, add a “Mute All Off” and “Solo All Off” for sequencer tracks in the Rack and Mixer views, in addition to the buttons for the mixer mute/solo (which should ALSO be duplicated in Rack View).This serves two purposes. First, it lets you know there are track that are soloed or muted in the sequencer, and second gives you a quick “fix” to the situation without leaving the current view or shifting your focus of your attention.

Additionally, if you only need to un-mute a single channel or two, these buttons would be a reminder from every view as to WHERE that channel is muted (or soloed). There could be an option to “go-to” the muted or soloed channel/track instead of un-muting or un-soloing them.

Note:
For those occasions where you want certain tracks in the sequencer to remain muted, I suggest muting the actual clips instead. This approach not only gives a better visual indication the track is muted, but it is “immune” to an “un-mute all” command (either by clicking the mute button at the top of the sequencer or with the proposed key command). It’s simple to do too - select all clips, hit “m” to mute, hit “m” again to un-mute.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

two shoes

14 Jul 2018

I made this post in the Reason 11 feature poll, then realized it would be better to post it here.

New user here (since 02/18). I didn't intend for this post to be so long, but once I started all the little things that have been driving me crazy since I started mixing a project for a friend in Reason a few months ago and fell madly in love with it. This stuff wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't REALLY enjoy using the program, but I do and it does so here's my two cents if anyone cares...

What I want more than anything else is vst midi out - composition aid plugins like MixedInKey's Captain series and W.A. Production's Instachord and Instascale are the best thing to come along in music software in years (for me) and not being able to use them in Reason due to the lack of vst midi out is the sole reason I haven't completely switched over to Reason at this point.

Of the choices in the poll I voted for the hi-res graphics update and gui window options, but what I really want graphics wise is actual fullscreen and a continuously scalable interface like ableton. When I realized I had to keep the menu bar and couldn't actually make Reason fullscreen I was utterly dumbfounded and it still frustrates me every time I open the program months later. No fullscreen in 2018? Really?? At the very least we should have the ability to make make one rack column fullscreen width. It would be cool to be able to detach, float, and resize individual rack devices, but I'd settle for just being able to make each rack column the width of the screen. On a 4k display some devices have buttons and controls so small they are unusable. And what's with the microscopic magnifying glass zoom controls in the sequencer? How do you miss the irony of that - are they trolling us?

Another thing that isn't listed here, but I think is a really embarassing omission at this point is working support for Mackie Universal Control protocol. I'd really like to be able to use my Behringer x-touch midi controller with Reason but the Mackie UCP implementation is completely broken (some controls assigned to the wrong functions, others missing entirely). It's like they started the implementation then quit half way through and just left it that way. I get that remote is a thing (I bought a Nektar Panorama controller for it's remote integration), but what's the excuse for adding broken support for the Mackie protocol and leaving it that way for years? This guy is even trying to make a work around, but according to him some things can only be fixed by propellerhead. http://www.jaexx.com/blog/reason-custom ... ap-layout/ From what I understand this is something a single developer should be able to fix in a day or two.

Despite these frustrations and others mentioned in the poll I am hooked on Reason and will probably leave Ableton and Reaper for it entirely whenever they add vst midi out and bring the window and graphics options up to 2008 standards. In my opinion it's a unique and amazing musical playground and the never ending creative possibilities provided by the rack is something no other DAW can touch. I'm having more fun making music than ever and I really wish I had given it another shot several years ago.

I think I will probably be a Reason user for the rest of my life, but from what I've seen in the few months since I started using it Propellerheads really needs to address some of the glaring shortcomings in this poll and do a better job in general of listening to their customer base (apparently they shut down the official forum awhile back? talk about sending the wrong message...). The rainstick thing is funny, but the truth is they seem to be adding lots of shiny new objects lately (Humana, Klang, UMPF, etc.) while ignoring basic functionality the user base has been requesting for years and allowing Reason to lag further and further behind the other major DAWs in key areas. The fact that some of this stuff is still missing in a 17 year old program is downright embarassing, and I think it keeps some people from taking Reason seriously or even considering it as their primary DAW. Nevermind the more established competition, the developers of some up and coming DAWs and environments like Reaper, Bitwig, VCV, and Usine are extremely attentive and responsive to their user bases and actively engaged with them in a variety of ways (official forums for one thing). Any developer as dismissive of their customers and their feedback as Propellerhead seems to be is eventually going to pay a price - just ask Cakewalk.

C//AZM

14 Jul 2018

How about the VST right in the rack rather than inside the wrapper?It's irritating to have to open a VS each time... I know it's the graphics size which is the problem...which brings us to;
How about making the VST and Reason graphics the same relative size? I have the super big display setting for reason so I can see everything in Reason, then I have to shrink the resolution to see all of the Slate virtual rack and a few other plugins. It must be super difficult to re-do the graphics for the entire Reason system, but it's been a much requested feature.

C//AZM

19 Jul 2018

Also, I would really like to take the solo and mute functions out of the undo list. People usually undo edits, deletes and tweaks, not solo. It's a bit tedious to go undo solo- undo transpose- undo unsolo - undo solo- undo change value -undo unsolo- undosolo- undo load patch.

Hydrosonic

19 Jul 2018

Not able to read through all the replies, but I would love :-

Rack Per Track function. I don't find the current system of all tracks intertwined into one complete mess as it often is now. At least the option to switch views to rack per track and the complete rack for all tracks system would be great.

Bezier curves in the Automation. TBH If they added Bezier curves I'd probably use Reason a lot more.

Midi out support for VSTs, I have a few sequencers such as Kirnu Creame Arpeggiator, would be great if I could output that into another channel.

A better Sampler would also be great. Grain is ok for what it is, but its not a true Sampler as such.

Right now I mainly use Reason 10 as a Rewire slave to either Sutione 4, or Ableton Live 10

Hydrosonic

19 Jul 2018

All in all, it's pretty good at what it does, I love the ability to send Modulation CV etc to other things that wouldn't have had that sort of thing without Reason :) So I am pretty happy, and its just a few minor niggles and things they should improve on.

sublunar

19 Jul 2018

hurricane wrote:
07 Jul 2018

It would be nice to have some kind of mute/solo indicator everywhere
selig wrote:
12 Jul 2018

At the least, add a “Mute All Off” and “Solo All Off”
100%. This is one of the things that to me seems very basic which is missing in Reason. My analog Mackie board has such a light on it and I suspect a lot of others do as well.

Joe Kold

19 Jul 2018

sublunar wrote:
hurricane wrote:
07 Jul 2018

It would be nice to have some kind of mute/solo indicator everywhere
selig wrote:
12 Jul 2018

At the least, add a “Mute All Off” and “Solo All Off”
100%. This is one of the things that to me seems very basic which is missing in Reason. My analog Mackie board has such a light on it and I suspect a lot of others do as well.
Reason has “mute all off” and “solo all off” [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C//AZM

26 Jul 2018

What he said was; for sequencer tracks in the Rack and Mixer views
selig wrote:
12 Jul 2018

At the least, add a “Mute All Off” and “Solo All Off” for sequencer tracks in the Rack and Mixer views, in addition to the buttons for the mixer mute/solo (which should ALSO be duplicated in Rack View).This serves two purposes. First, it lets you know there are track that are soloed or muted in the sequencer, and second gives you a quick “fix” to the situation without leaving the current view or shifting your focus of your attention.

drloop

26 Jul 2018

Punch in and punch out.
I am tired of editing clips instead of getting the correct length with a punch in/out

C//AZM

26 Jul 2018

This list is long and I agree with a lot of these and this isn't even the "official reasontalk" wish section.

• Information