Super Audio Cart RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
chimp_spanner

09 Jul 2018

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... udio-cart/

Interesting one this. I'm actually still downloading as it's around 5.2GB. It does kinda raise that question in my head as to whether sample based synths are really efficient past a certain point. It'll be interesting to compare this to Ochen's Chip 64, which is a fraction of the size. I like the look of the UI though so I'm looking forward to trying SAC out. I have a few Impact Soundworks libraries already and they're generally really good!

Interestingly it's not available for subscription, so that could also be a big deciding factor for me in addition to the space it takes up on my hard drive.

P'elle
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2018

How is this ideal for hip hop and EDM? Is video game nostalgia about to be the next big wave? Perhaps they have seen the future.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2018

P'elle wrote:
09 Jul 2018
How is this ideal for hip hop and EDM? Is video game nostalgia about to be the next big wave? Perhaps they have seen the future.
Without trying to sound negative I don’t really get how (based purely on the description) it’s ideal for anything. That’s just my opinion of course.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

P'elle
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2018

Ideal for Lil' Flip hip hop? Trying to be positive here. :)

chimp_spanner

09 Jul 2018

Download failed, gotta work now. Maybe someone else can give some first impressions!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2018

P'elle wrote:
09 Jul 2018
Ideal for Lil' Flip hip hop? Trying to be positive here. :)

Aaah!!! Thanks. I’m a convert :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

HeavyViper

09 Jul 2018

It's as ideal a product as anything else in the shop. Everyone who played these systems back when they were new are all grown up, but they still remember them. The sounds they're capable of, limited as they may be, can evoke feelings just as well as any synth or sample library.

Plus, chiptune has been a thing for a while now. There's no shortage of folks making the old new again.
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

esselfortium

09 Jul 2018

Nice, I'm glad Impact Soundworks haven't forgotten about their Reason users. Even though Kontakt is usable in the rack nowadays, I still get a lot of use out of some of their refills, especially Resonance and the various percussion sets.

To me, by far the most tempting part of Super Audio Cart is the SNES bank. There are various options out there for emulating old consoles' synths (though it's nice to have them all under one roof here), but SNES is a special case. Because its music playback was sample-based rather than synthesized, each game had its own instrument set, and sampling a bunch of those directly would be Legally Questionable. So the SNES samples in this are actually brand new, custom-made in the style of the classic SNES sounds, which is really interesting. I'll definitely have to try this out at some point just for those!
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

jam-s

09 Jul 2018

It would be nice to have some audio demos of some classic game theme snippets reproduced using this RE (in comparison to the original). Also I'm wondering how well it got those typical C64 fading arp pads (like in the intro from the Last Ninja soundtrack) covered.

Last edited by jam-s on 10 Jul 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Soeno

09 Jul 2018

should be similar to this

MannequinRaces

09 Jul 2018

The audio demos sound fantastic. I’ll get around to trialing this in due time. I’m always happy to have more Chiptune creation opportunities in the rack.

strangers
Competition Winner

10 Jul 2018

I don't see myself making chiptunes even though you can never say never. I still kind of want this just because it'd be a blast from the past to mess with sounds I grew up button mashing to. The split keys presets sound like a lot of fun.

tiker01

10 Jul 2018

There are more to this Synth than chiptunes. There are sick bass sounds in it!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

TheGodOfRainbows

11 Jul 2018

OMG
I'm a simple man, and I have sample needs. Pun. Laff. :geek:
But seriously, I've had their demos of this product in vst or kontakt for months/years. But I'm also a Reason man. I would definitely prefer the Re version rather than std version. Thanks Impact Soundworks for the port. The 5.2 GB footprint is good AND bad news :D. Bad for my SSD, good for my creamy crunchy lo-fi chocolate chiptune appetite.

When is the song challenge !?!?!

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2018

TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
11 Jul 2018
OMG
I'm a simple man, and I have sample needs. Pun. Laff. :geek:
But seriously, I've had their demos of this product in vst or kontakt for months/years. But I'm also a Reason man. I would definitely prefer the Re version rather than std version. Thanks Impact Soundworks for the port. The 5.2 GB footprint is good AND bad news :D. Bad for my SSD, good for my creamy crunchy lo-fi chocolate chiptune appetite.

When is the song challenge !?!?!
Doesn't take that long to load on a HDD :thumbs_up:

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Jul 2018

Not that any sane man would run Reason on a HDD like me :D

esselfortium

11 Jul 2018

I haven't trialed this yet, so maybe someone else can answer: I know the Kontakt version can layer up to four different instruments with various effects. This RE appears to only load one instrument at a time, and doesn't include internal FX. Are there combinator equivalents of those layered/processed patches included here?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

HeavyViper

11 Jul 2018

esselfortium wrote:
11 Jul 2018
Are there combinator equivalents of those layered/processed patches included here?
I submitted a few patches for it while it was in beta, and at that point they were only asking for contained patches, no combis.
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2018

esselfortium wrote:
11 Jul 2018
I haven't trialed this yet, so maybe someone else can answer: I know the Kontakt version can layer up to four different instruments with various effects. This RE appears to only load one instrument at a time, and doesn't include internal FX. Are there combinator equivalents of those layered/processed patches included here?
There are 7 cmb patches. From what I heard in the video above, they don't sound like equivalents.

Re8et
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2018

:puf_bigsmile: Trialled for some hours.
I've been trying to emulate a slow arp from my C64 emu.
I had to play a lot with the poly arp settings, and filter envelope to get some grittiness.
I could not get the same sound, but many sounds, included some original presets, are quite complex,
there are chords, fifths, all kind of strange arp modes, natural phasing issues of all sorts in the original cynths

I like the poly arp mode, never seen before in the reason scenario, but no arp cv out....
I'd like six to nine more arp modes, more routing options, in and out (especially for the filter).

Some basses in poly mode are quite nice, good interpolation, a little too subs maybe, I'd like to take them out,
mix the waves a little,, :refillpacker:

Re8et
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2018

HeavyViper wrote:
11 Jul 2018
esselfortium wrote:
11 Jul 2018
Are there combinator equivalents of those layered/processed patches included here?
I submitted a few patches for it while it was in beta, and at that point they were only asking for contained patches, no combis.
With all those drumkits, a song starter combinator with some rythmn would have been quite nice to have included, also some riser and other fx's, it feel a bit empty on that side, :thumbs_up:

Re8et
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
09 Jul 2018
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... udio-cart/
It'll be interesting to compare this to Ochen's Chip 64
Chip 64 had in comparison fewer type of waves, and *emulation* settings, the saw is generated as all other waveforms.
Supercart has a basic saw wave in 2600 and maybe somewhere else, it's a nice idea, I'll try to hook my oscilloscope and post some results.
Ooops… no Chip 64 anymore

Linear pots? Is it about the emulation *chip* this talk?

Re8et
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2018

tiker01 wrote:
10 Jul 2018
There are more to this Synth than chiptunes. There are sick bass sounds in it!
Drumkits are also guite good!

Re8et
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2018

2600 saw.JPG
2600 saw.JPG (373.59 KiB) Viewed 6133 times
c64 saw.JPG
c64 saw.JPG (362.93 KiB) Viewed 6133 times
c64 sample.JPG
c64 sample.JPG (273.22 KiB) Viewed 6133 times
All waves are clear of filters and resonance, however, the last C64 sample looks like it has some sort of filtering applied (Raw sample)
Some other bass (C64Saw) samples seems to have a noisier end than Soundcard (like movement)
But overall they are quite similar in shapes, and covers the full* spectrum up to 20K Hertz

Pepin

03 Aug 2018

I already own the Kontakt version, and it's great! Anyone know if Impact Soundworks offers promo codes for the RE?

Edit: Just sent them an email to ask

• Information