PinkNoise Studio's Maia Synthesizer - in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Re8et
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2018

tHIS sYNTH rOCKhARD! Oo
It just sounds amazing on the guitars, patches are really well made.
+100 for the backpanel adjustable through cv also, creative approach.

I still need to explore other sounds, I got a sound so good I was going to record just the riff and post it as is in the challenge.
Too bad there are those back panels cv... I hope it's going to end at four tracks... :D

Mr. Watts

05 Jul 2018

Demoing right now. Not really a fan of the gui, kind of uninspiring to look at compared to other RE synth options in my opinion. Lot's of great features on this synth though, such as the sequencer and FX and the ability to run external audio through them. This makes it more valuable to me than just a basic IDT because it doubles as an fx unit and sequencer. The presets sound good though and there is quite a variety in sounds making it a good synth to just get some ideas going and not worry to much about dialing in a specific sound. Going to see what I can do with this synth but am not sold at this point. I think there are just so many options for RE users now that any new synth that doesn't cover new ground or excel at a specific task will be easily overlooked. I can see this being a good value for someone who hasn't bought any RE's and wants to expand his DAW, given the wide range of sounds and on board FX. Though I think most seasoned Reason users who own maybe 10+ RE synths and FX will not see much value in this. Just my 2cents.

Koshdukai

05 Jul 2018

I rarely have any interest on IDT/ROMpler based "synth" instruments, especially when their GUIs are something to roll my eyes at.

Luna seemed like a well thought out GUI, supporting a very simple, but sane and still clever (ROMpler-based) synth design, so I gave it a go and tried it.
Using it was a very pleasant surprise. Everything seemed it was in the right place, doing the right things and the way the Twin/Dual sound sources was implemented, showed me the care and thoughtfulness that went in the making of LUNA.

On top of that, I liked the sample set that was used on it, based on the Voyager, so I got it.

Maia looks like a natural use of a well made framework started with Luna.
Use a solid (UX/GUI/audio path design) foundation as the tool to release a different sample-set+patches while still adding some new things here and there, like the Sequencer, Audio IN, CV outs, keyboard split, etc.

It's a really a good example of how high profile ReFill makers should (re)release old+new assets, with something extra on top, besides the good'old but limited UX-wise Combinator/NN-XT.

I just downloaded Maia to try it, so I'm not sure yet if it'll win me over like Luna did (sound-wise), but it feels like a perfect follower of Luna steps, IMHO.
Sure, the GUI color palette is somewhat uh... "strong" and less "classic" like Luna is, so it might be hard on the eye to some.
I'm finding it suits the "Maia" theme, so, it isn't shocking me :)

...my 2 cents FWIW :)

Ostermilk

06 Jul 2018

Koshdukai wrote:
05 Jul 2018
snip....<
Maia looks like a natural use of a well made framework started with Luna.
Use a solid (UX/GUI/audio path design) foundation as the tool to release a different sample-set+patches while still adding some new things here and there, like the Sequencer, Audio IN, CV outs, keyboard split, etc.

It's a really a good example of how high profile ReFill makers should (re)release old+new assets, with something extra on top, besides the good'old but limited UX-wise Combinator/NN-XT.

...>snip
THIS^^^

PNS have painstakingly built a fantastic library over many years, being able to better utilize that content seems to me to be the point here, not the colour of the textures applied to the UI.

A pioneer here was Jiggery Pokery with the brilliant IDT versions of Retro Organs, being able to turn sampled content into a nicely playable instrument is the key (no pun) to whether these devices suit me or not.

One thing though the dev is such a long-standing reason-centrc developer there's no way these particular devices can be classed as 'shovel-ware' when so many years of work have already gone into the creation of the underlying content, which we already know is excellent.

Some folk almost seem to apologize for liking sample based 'synth' RE's, and whilst it could be true there is a high chaff to wheat ratio in the IDT arena (one area were I'd strongly recommend 30 day trials), this one (along with Luna) is definitely firmly at the 'wheat' end of things.

EnochLight

06 Jul 2018

Koshdukai wrote:
05 Jul 2018

^^ This x100. I often wish Bitely would do this for his Fairlight refill stuff - would most certainly breath new life into the product line, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

eusti

06 Jul 2018

EnochLight wrote:
06 Jul 2018

^^ This x100. I often wish Bitely would do this for his Fairlight refill stuff - would most certainly breath new life into the product line, IMHO.
+ 1!

D.

Koshdukai

06 Jul 2018

Ostermilk wrote:
06 Jul 2018
A pioneer here was Jiggery Pokery with the brilliant IDT versions of Retro Organs, being able to turn sampled content into a nicely playable instrument is the key (no pun)
Jiggery Pokery retro organ series are such a natural evolution from the original ReFills and so well made and properly distinct from one another that I almost forget those are sample-based REs :D

Glad you mentioned JP there, as a great (pioneer!) example of how to rethink sampler based ReFills in a Rack Extension era. Basically what I think PNS is also doing now but in their own way.

From a user perspective, while losing the easier access to the raw samples, one gains the proper UX of a "real" virtual rack instrument.
From a dev perspective, while having to invest in extra development, one gains extra copy-protection releasing a "sample library" as a (Rack Extension) instrument and hopefully a refreshed interest in an "reborn" product.

So kudos to the "old" ReFill makers that were/are able to keep up with times while keeping their high standards and doing it right and sometimes even in innovative ways.

tiker01

06 Jul 2018

Just a reminder that we have a Maia Song Challenge!

https://www.reasontalk.com/2018/07/maia-song-challenge/

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Koshdukai

06 Jul 2018

Re8et wrote:
05 Jul 2018
I just crashed it, do I have to press DON'T PANIC??

I think the gate in was clipping btw.
I just crashed it too but without any CV input :/

BRIGGS

06 Jul 2018

Koshdukai wrote:
06 Jul 2018
Re8et wrote:
05 Jul 2018
I just crashed it, do I have to press DON'T PANIC??

I think the gate in was clipping btw.
I just crashed it too but without any CV input :/
It crashed twice for me...nice sounds and GUI though!
r11s

tiker01

06 Jul 2018

Anybody experiencing issues with Maia please send the stripped down project to Pink Noise Studio.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

geronimo

11 Jul 2018

For the fun ! :lol:

Der Mussolini.repatch.zip
(3.18 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

anko

11 Jul 2018

EnochLight wrote:
06 Jul 2018
Koshdukai wrote:
05 Jul 2018

^^ i second EnochLight's sentiments here. ;)

antic604

15 Oct 2018

Wow, even u-jam's stuff last week got more responses! ;) :D

Bring on the next Monday!

That's why I always said they should have DotW for few cathegories: synth, effect, player, refill :)

moneykube

17 Oct 2018

thought about it but owe 1300 now on additions... just thought the sound was a bit thin and cheap sounding ... so pass... must not view sales... it's dangerous
bought legend last night yet 25 dollar voucher did not work... with legend... I got all I want... I wasn't interested in synapse bundle... enough fx and I have antidote... if I learn what I have I'll be 100 years old and will forget what I learned at 80 years old... say what :puf_bigsmile: :puf_smile: :D :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: :re: x a million
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

sleep1979

15 Mar 2019

Maia is great but so are pinknoise refills and together there a team in analog heaven ( using maia as an effects unit amazing company

sleep1979

04 Jun 2019

there is a new update coming i'm well excited about

EnochLight

04 Jun 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
04 Jun 2019
For Maia? Did they say what's being added/changed?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Magnus

04 Jun 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Maia is great but so are pinknoise refills and together there a team in analog heaven ( using maia as an effects unit amazing company
Have to agree! PinkNoise are one of the premier companies in the world of Reason for sheer quality of sounds.

sleep1979

04 Jun 2019

EnochLight wrote:
04 Jun 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
04 Jun 2019
For Maia? Did they say what's being added/changed?
don't know the full extent yet little teaser on there Facebook page I asked andras when its coming he said when ts ready haha I cant wait , hope there new sounds and things aswell as this new osc table thing looks cool :-)
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (84.77 KiB) Viewed 1537 times

• Information