PinkNoise Studio's Maia Synthesizer - in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
EnochLight

04 Jul 2018

This thing looks absolutely fantastic, IMHO. Nice work, PinkNoise! Sounds pretty good, too:

https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... nthesizer/

Maia_screen1_big.jpg.10000x10000_q85.jpg
Maia_screen1_big.jpg.10000x10000_q85.jpg (259.18 KiB) Viewed 4085 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

tibah

04 Jul 2018

Great UI again. Taking it for a spin soon.

manisnotabird

04 Jul 2018

No clues what synths they sampled for this?

EnochLight

04 Jul 2018

manisnotabird wrote:
04 Jul 2018
No clues what synths they sampled for this?
Good question! With PinkNoise, it's anyone's guess. For $49 USD, it's tempting anyway.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

antic604

04 Jul 2018

EnochLight wrote:
04 Jul 2018
This thing looks absolutely fantastic, IMHO.
Damn, I'm always surprised how tastes can differ - the color palette, the gradients, design of individual elements all look terrible to me :?

EnochLight

04 Jul 2018

antic604 wrote:
04 Jul 2018
EnochLight wrote:
04 Jul 2018
This thing looks absolutely fantastic, IMHO.
Damn, I'm always surprised how tastes can differ - the color palette, the gradients, design of individual elements all look terrible to me :?
Indeed, tastes differ between all of us. :) Maybe it's the skeuomorphism thing. Not a fan?

hurricane
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2018

And this is different from Luna how? I hope Pinknoise aren't pulling a Props and releasing the same synth with a different sample set and calling it a totally different synth. Cuz that's what it looks like to MOI.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

antic604

04 Jul 2018

EnochLight wrote:
04 Jul 2018
Indeed, tastes differ between all of us. :) Maybe it's the skeuomorphism thing. Not a fan?
Why would I be using Reason, if I wasn't a fan. But apparently this particular style doesn't work for me - it's like I'm looking on an old wooden furniture :D

Loque

04 Jul 2018

Looks interesting. I can use the fx... Noted... I guess sample based. Gotta try this on the weekend hopefully. I like the knobs on the back, no clue what they do, but i like them :D
Reason12, Win10

Bes
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2018

the pots are little daleks. instabuy
- Certified Reason expert

tiker01

04 Jul 2018

hurricane wrote:
04 Jul 2018
And this is different from Luna how? I hope Pinknoise aren't pulling a Props and releasing the same synth with a different sample set and calling it a totally different synth. Cuz that's what it looks like to MOI.

As far as I know 5 months of coding went into this on top of Luna. And of course the sample set is completely different.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

hurricane
Competition Winner

04 Jul 2018

tiker01 wrote:
04 Jul 2018
hurricane wrote:
04 Jul 2018

As far as I know 5 months of coding went into this on top of Luna. And of course the sample set is completely different.
Really? Took that long to add a drive knob to the filter? Cuz that's the only difference I see!

$49 and later $79 for new samples is not cool, man. :thumbs_down:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Faastwalker

04 Jul 2018

antic604 wrote:
04 Jul 2018
It's like I'm looking on an old wooden furniture :D
Made me think of an old wooden cigar box with knobs on!

scratchnsnifff

04 Jul 2018

I saw either on the Reason talk interview (or some other public article) that the dude who helps with/creates The gorilla IDT2 stuff, that they will be able to incorporate user sampled oscillators and even actual oscillators.

I only mention this because this synth, or this style of synth would be perfect for such a feature. I love the UI and how this has a sequencer. Not sure if this is built with the IDT platform but if it is, well job done :)

I do believe it was that recent reason talk interview that mentioned the features of IDT2.
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

EnochLight

04 Jul 2018

hurricane wrote:
04 Jul 2018
Yeah, it does look identical to Luna. Meh.

geronimo

05 Jul 2018

556 Mo loaded for this Maia .

chimp_spanner

05 Jul 2018

Demo'ing now, I really like it! The interface might not be to everyone's liking but personally I dig it. It's like a cross between FL Harmor and U-he Zebralette.

Sound wise yeah I can see that there's a lot of crossover with Luna, owing to the dual engines. I never really got on with that RE though. Maybe I need to revisit it? My biggest gripes were not being able to link the two engines and it looks like that's been sorted now. Anyway from what I can remember though Luna had a focus on vintage synths where this has more digital and sampled waveforms. It also has the sequencer which is really nice as it's per-engine, so you can do some Nexus style stuff where you might have a dry bass pulse doing 16ths and then a totally different pattern on a nice delayed/reverbed sound.

I would've liked to see some voice stacking/unison and maybe the ability to use the waveforms as wavetables. But you can still get some nice sounds using the insert FX.

I'm gonna play with this one over the trial period but I might add it to the sub. It seems like a fun synth.

Hydrosonic

05 Jul 2018

There is an obvious difference between Luna and MAIA, if you look round the back you can see a bit more of what the latest IDT offers in terms of CV and also Audio IN and also the inclusion of a Sequencer. I doubt I will try or buy as its come at a bad time for me financially and so far listening to the audio demo it doesn't really sound like I'd get much use out of it.

geronimo

05 Jul 2018

To share . :thumbup:

Maia.jpg
Maia.jpg (37.67 KiB) Viewed 3547 times

chimp_spanner

05 Jul 2018

Seems to be really cool for 80s style stuff. A lot of similar territory covered by this, Luna, Layers and Layers Wave. So yeah still kinda undecided tbh! It's definitely fun. The convolution reverb section is nice too. Definitely worth a mention.

geronimo

05 Jul 2018

Or the Gimp file _
Maia.xcf.zip
(693.17 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

PinkSlime

05 Jul 2018

Don't mind the visual which is similar. This has audio in that goes through the whole effects section of osc a or b, not just the delay and reverb. In the featured patches you will see a folder of fx presets for that use. Then in terms of functionality, locking the settings is a great option as well as the individual processing possibility. Extra feature, keymapping. I really like the quality and variety of the samples and the reason I jumped to buy is that, due to the above, it is more than a nice sounding ROMpler.

Re8et
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2018

I just crashed it, do I have to press DON'T PANIC??

I think the gate in was clipping btw.

jimmyklane

05 Jul 2018

Going to try, but synth RE’s don’t really interest me nearly as much as effect REs, but that could be because I already own a lot of synths. I seem to always come back to the idea that outside of the hardware realm, I can make most sounds on most synths....hard wavetable changes like the PPG can be challenging without the right synth, as can sample oscillator sync (like the AWM synthesis in the Yamaha SY-77/99), but for basic analog-type sounds with good filter emulation (Europa, perhaps Thor) or for “vintage digital” sounds like the JD-800(Subtractor does this pretty well).....pretty much anything that’s not what we’d call “exotic” I’m of the opinion that you can do it with the stock Reason devices.

The stock effects in Reason leave MUCH to be desired, specifically delays, reverbs, modulation, and mastering tools....so I’m starting to pick up REs to do more in the box without constantly relying upon my hardware, because my hardware paints me into a specific sound (a good one, but it’s tough to make it do something it’s not good at!)

Anyway, back OT: I’m going to give this synth a good run through its paces and give a real opinion on its merits and features....but I still think my opinion above is a solid general statement.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

geronimo

05 Jul 2018

I like the aftertouch witness _

• Information