Virus TI multitimbral in Reason - techniques?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
seqoi

04 Jul 2018

So i plan to borrow one and i want to test it out extensively. I was just searching forum to see is there some info on using Reason 10 and Virus TI and i found some worrying info (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7507465&p=399173&h ... ti#p399173) my question is is that somehow solved by now? By some new rack extension or something?

I am specifically asking am i able to send to all Virus Midi channels (multitimbral usage) and at the same time to use their official editor? I don't want to buy other people editors if official is available.

So basically any tips from someone who is successfully using Virus TI. Maybe there's some rack to send to all midi channel or something like that? CV Routing? Some software routing? Virtual midi ports and then simple midi out Reason device?

jimmyklane

04 Jul 2018

seqoi wrote:
04 Jul 2018
So i plan to borrow one and i want to test it out extensively. I was just searching forum to see is there some info on using Reason 10 and Virus TI and i found some worrying info (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7507465&p=399173&h ... ti#p399173) my question is is that somehow solved by now? By some new rack extension or something?

I am specifically asking am i able to send to all Virus Midi channels (multitimbral usage) and at the same time to use their official editor? I don't want to buy other people editors if official is available.

So basically any tips from someone who is successfully using Virus TI. Maybe there's some rack to send to all midi channel or something like that? CV Routing? Some software routing? Virtual midi ports and then simple midi out Reason device?
No. Reason absolutely does NOT recognize multi-timbral plugins...If you plan on using the TI VST plugin, my suggestion is only a workaround:

Use the software to create however many patches you’d like to use in a multi-timbral manner, save them and place them into a multi. Once you’ve done that, remove the plugin and use EMIs sent on the same midi interface but on the various channels that you set up for your multi. Now play it like any outboard synth that has a multi mode.

I sold my Virus TI and now use a Virus C simply because it was unusable in Reason. In addition, I personally tend to get more creative when I use my ears and not my eyes to program.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

seqoi

04 Jul 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
04 Jul 2018

No. Reason absolutely does NOT recognize multi-timbral plugins...If you plan on using the TI VST plugin, my suggestion is only a workaround:

Use the software to create however many patches you’d like to use in a multi-timbral manner, save them and place them into a multi. Once you’ve done that, remove the plugin and use EMIs sent on the same midi interface but on the various channels that you set up for your multi. Now play it like any outboard synth that has a multi mode.

I sold my Virus TI and now use a Virus C simply because it was unusable in Reason. In addition, I personally tend to get more creative when I use my ears and not my eyes to program.
Thank you for the tip. That seems like a true hassle to do (Use the software to create however many patches you’d like to use in a multi-timbral manner, save them and place them into a multi. Once you’ve done that, remove the plugin and use EMIs sent on the same midi interface but on the various channels that you set up for your multi. Now play it like any outboard synth that has a multi mode.)

Don't understand last thing: I personally tend to get more creative when I use my ears and not my eyes to program. - Don't you use eyes to navigate your hands on to Virus itself to tweak parameter? How's that different then navigating mouse pointer and tweak parameter and then to use ear to get "there". I guess you want to say you prefer not being distracted by screen is that it?

Did you (since you had Virus) by any chance hear at least any rumor on this board - will Propellerheads tap this multitimbral issue - so to speak?

Thanks once again.

seqoi

04 Jul 2018

edit: Question for you. Couldn't i simply

- load Access Virus VST editor, and use it just as a sort of project recall tool. I mean once when it is fired up in reason, i simply load (for example) 8 EMI and send midi to them right? But then i use actual hardware to navigate and tweak sounds. Once i am done and when i hit save in Reason - that Access VST Editor will actually remember my Virus parameters in project since connection between Editor and Hardware is bidirectional (meaning you tweak something on hardware itself - change is reflected to VST editor as well or vice versa i saw that on youtube) - so that way everything is fit.

I guess that is not possible because you would already work like that right?

jimmyklane

04 Jul 2018

seqoi wrote:
04 Jul 2018
edit: Question for you. Couldn't i simply

- load Access Virus VST editor, and use it just as a sort of project recall tool. I mean once when it is fired up in reason, i simply load (for example) 8 EMI and send midi to them right? But then i use actual hardware to navigate and tweak sounds. Once i am done and when i hit save in Reason - that Access VST Editor will actually remember my Virus parameters in project since connection between Editor and Hardware is bidirectional (meaning you tweak something on hardware itself - change is reflected to VST editor as well or vice versa i saw that on youtube) - so that way everything is fit.

I guess that is not possible because you would already work like that right?
Try it! Get back to me, I’d love to get a TI back in the studio even though I love my C.

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

seqoi

05 Jul 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
04 Jul 2018

Try it! Get back to me, I’d love to get a TI back in the studio even though I love my C.
Will do and will report my findings.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

jimmyklane

05 Jul 2018

seqoi wrote:
05 Jul 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
04 Jul 2018

Will do and will report my findings.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers
Be sure to save all the patches as a multi!!!! If you don’t do that I’m pretty sure it won’t work

• Information