The 2018 FIFA World Cup

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
EpiGenetik

25 Jun 2018

....and we reach the start of matchday 3!

This is when it heats up, as it's time to see who goes through and who goes home. In Group A we already know this, and Uruguay vs Russia is about who gets who in the last 16, while no-one cares at all about Saudi and Egypt as both are out - I guess it would be nice for Mo Salah to show some sublime skill but the rest of his team aren't up to much so it's academic really.

Later on, it's much more interesting as both Spain and Portugal need to officially book their places, and Iran could still nick a place if they can upset Portugal, and technically a draw could just get them in but they'd be relying on Spain losing badly :) Most likely Spain and Portugal will both win though and it'll go to GD to see who tops the group.

demt

25 Jun 2018

6 1 way to go
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

motuscott

25 Jun 2018

Sportz is the last bastation of the feeble minded
I'll see myself out, thank you
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

motuscott

25 Jun 2018

There. I said it.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Ocean of Waves

25 Jun 2018

Belgian, all the way. Only because Oranje isn't present and they're our language buddies (well, half is). Great team although the defense is still lacking a bit

EpiGenetik

26 Jun 2018

motuscott wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Sportz is the last bastation of the feeble minded
bastion*

If you're going to dive into other peoples posts with only the desire to cause disharmony, then you should at least make sure to do it right :D :D :D
motuscott wrote:
25 Jun 2018
I'll see myself out, thank you
Off you fuck, now :D :D :D

EpiGenetik

26 Jun 2018

Ocean of Waves wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Belgian, all the way. Only because Oranje isn't present and they're our language buddies (well, half is). Great team although the defense is still lacking a bit
I must admit that I've been very impressed Belgium for a few years now. Gotta be said that it would be a bit messed up if Belgium won the World Cup before Nederland, although it's a little known fact that Belgium won the last pre-World Championship Olympics tournament in 1920, so they can maybe feel aggrieved to not be recognised by FIFA as former world champions. (Uruguay's wins in 1924 and 1928 ARE recognised as World Champonships but not World Cups :) )

Maybe the time has come for a Lowland win though :)

Zac

26 Jun 2018

If i was a betting man my money would go on Belgium and partly due to partisanship, England. The odds are still good really.

Last time i checked...
Belgium 7 - 1
England 10 - 1

Sorped

26 Jun 2018

My national team, Denmark, made it through to the knockout stage today. It has not been pretty, and if we want to take anything home, a lot of people have to up their game. Christian Eriksen has been a shadow of his usual self, Nikolaj Jørgensen has had 1 (one) good action in 2 games and Pione Sisto looks like a guy with no confidence in his abilities. Maybe the knockout stage will wake them up.

Felt a bit sorry for Nigeria tonight, they were pretty close, huh?

What do you think of the VAR system? I think it needs improvement; it shouldn't be the referee who decides when to look at an incident, and it shouldn't be the call of the video-refs unless they look at all incidents in the whole game. Instead I think it should be used on appeal from the teams instead, that way noone can claim imbalance in what decisions are reviewed.

Here's a crazy idea, instead of no. 1 and 2 from each group that progress, it should be the 16 teams with the most points, regardless of what group they are in. That way everybody will play to win every game, and we won't get stuck with half B-squads and teams playing for draws in the 3rd round. What do you reckon? :)
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

EpiGenetik

27 Jun 2018

Well done Sweden!!! Magnificent!!! 😊

EpiGenetik

27 Jun 2018

Sorped wrote:
26 Jun 2018
My national team, Denmark, made it through to the knockout stage today. It has not been pretty, and if we want to take anything home, a lot of people have to up their game. Christian Eriksen has been a shadow of his usual self, Nikolaj Jørgensen has had 1 (one) good action in 2 games and Pione Sisto looks like a guy with no confidence in his abilities. Maybe the knockout stage will wake them up.

What do you think of the VAR system? I think it needs improvement; it shouldn't be the referee who decides when to look at an incident, and it shouldn't be the call of the video-refs unless they look at all incidents in the whole game. Instead I think it should be used on appeal from the teams instead, that way noone can claim imbalance in what decisions are reviewed.

Here's a crazy idea, instead of no. 1 and 2 from each group that progress, it should be the 16 teams with the most points, regardless of what group they are in. That way everybody will play to win every game, and we won't get stuck with half B-squads and teams playing for draws in the 3rd round. What do you reckon? :)
Honestly, I wouldn’t take that performance against France too seriously, both teams knew that a lazy safe game would do the job.

The VAR has been the big talking point of this World Cup so far, and it has been its own source of entertainment. I like the challenges idea, like tennis - and it will probably go that way eventually because it isn’t quite right just now, I thought Nigeria ran afoul of it last night when they should have been given a penalty in the first half and the Argentine defender should have been sent off. In general it's kind of weird the way it is being officiated in general. Neymar has been caught diving for a penalty (against Costa Rica in their 2nd game I think), had the penalty given initially then had it reversed. So the ref has made the decision not to give it because he knows Neymar was at it, but he's not then cautioned Neymar - a few more Brazil players were at it again tonight, and just ruining the tournament for all the real fans. Surely their own fans are embarrassed by this crap?

I honestly and respectfully disagree on your tournament format reforms, though 😊 At least, I'm not keen on that way of doing it, not sure what I would do to change things. I do enjoy the current format and really think that the diving is what needs to be addressed first.
Last edited by EpiGenetik on 27 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Sorped

27 Jun 2018

EpiGenetik wrote:
27 Jun 2018
Sorped wrote:
26 Jun 2018

Sorped wrote:
26 Jun 2018

Honestly, I wouldn’t take that performance against France too seriously, both teams knew that a lazy safe game would do the job.

The VAR has been the big talking point of this World Cup so far, and it has been its own source of entertainment. I like the challenges idea, like tennis - and it will probably go that way eventually because it isn’t quite right just now, I thought Nigeria ran afoul of it last night when they should have been given a penalty in the first half and the Argentine defender should have been sent off.

I honestly disagree on your tournament reforms though 😊
Hehe, yeah I wan't gonna bet that it'd get any backing :D
Regardiung Denmark, I hope they'll surprise on sunday :)
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

EpiGenetik

28 Jun 2018

So effectively, what we learned tonight is that if England meet Belgium in the final, then Belgium will have proveably better substitutes. :D

Bit of a brass eye for Fellaini too, actually still being in the team when everyone else got the night off pretty much. :D :D :D

Soooooo, prediction time.

I'm not going to pick out scores or give too much analysis but I'll say that I think the QF's will line up like this:

France vs Portugal
Belgium vs Brazil/Mexico ----- (Don't want to pick a winner between these two. I immediately think Brazil but have a sneaking suspicion)
Spain vs Croatia ------ (...and the winner is my pick to win it at this stage. Of course, this didn't do Germany any good :D )
England vs Sweden/Switzerland ----- (again there is too many "what if's")

Far too many unknowns to reliably predict much further than this - how good are France/Spain/Croatia/Belgium/England REALLY? What if Brazil/Argentina start to gel better and actually try to play instead of constant cheating? Could Uruguay actually be decent, and not just the benefactors of a stupidly easy draw? Man for man they should be ok, but they're probably a bit past it now, and their 100% record so far is down to lesser quality opposition.

It seems like some cards are being played close to the chest, but we'll know the answers soon enough :)

Enjoy!

full-of-life

29 Jun 2018

On Tuesday Sweden/Switzerland will play. But who's the other team?
(It should now be clear that Switzerland and Sweden are two different countries.)

EpiGenetik

29 Jun 2018

full-of-life wrote:
29 Jun 2018
(It should now be clear that Switzerland and Sweden are two different countries.)
It is? They are? :mrgreen:

Ostermilk

30 Jun 2018

EpiGenetik wrote:
29 Jun 2018
full-of-life wrote:
29 Jun 2018
It is? They are? :mrgreen:
Yeah, they are, I remember because I went there once... :lol:

Zac

01 Jul 2018

Now Spain fall out... wow.

EpiGenetik

01 Jul 2018

... aaaaand a biiiiiiig upset! Spain are gone 😐 One of the more entertaining teams this year, but well done to Russia for sticking it out.

We also now know for a fact that Uruguay 🇺🇾 can definitely win this thing 😊

EpiGenetik

01 Jul 2018

Zac wrote:
01 Jul 2018
Now Spain fall out... wow.
Yup, I give all credit to Russia for getting the result, but surely this is as far as they can go? It’s now 52 years since the last time a host nation had a questionable win. 😀

EpiGenetik

03 Jul 2018

Just gonna repeat my FB post here as it needs to be said :)

One of the best halves of football I’ve ever seen (between Belgium and Japan). Such a shame to see Japan going out, they truly are an example of how players should conduct themselves on the field; it’s tragic that they only got to the last 16. Belgium however, have shown they have the character and resilience to win the bloody thing!

As for earlier on today, I’m really hoping Neymar gets hit by a bus 🚌 He’s a complete prick.

EpiGenetik

03 Jul 2018

Zac

03 Jul 2018

England win a world cup penalty shoot-out :shock: :P

O1B

03 Jul 2018

Congrats, England!!

mojo

04 Jul 2018

EpiGenetik wrote:
03 Jul 2018

As for earlier on today, I’m really hoping Neymar gets hit by a bus 🚌 He’s a complete prick.
I totally agree and can't understand how referees don't say anything (for me it would at least be yellow card each time).

EpiGenetik

08 Jul 2018

....and then there were four!!!

I've loved every minute of this tournament, but I'm growing ever more bewildered as to who will win the thing. I'm going to say at this stage that the only team I think that will not win it is Croatia. They've had a lot more time on the pitch, and against mentally draining opposition. There's also the thought that if you keep a well-disciplined back 4, you can cut out the threat of Rakitic, and what's happened is that Modric has been the go-to for every move the Croats make, so they look a bit more predictable. England will likely play a lot more openly though, so it's not impossible that they will be too loose at the back.

To me, France vs Belgium is the "Final" semi, the winner should win the tournament, as it's the best two teams - but styles make fights, of course, and if England beat Croatia, then it is possible for them to beat either of them - luck will play a big part in it.

I hope you all enjoy the remaining games :)

• Information