RND Generator Randomizer from Lectric Panda

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
cognitive

25 Jun 2018

This looks like a cool player. Congrats on the release! :)

One thing that would be incredibly useful in any random generator like this is allowing for an optional user-specified seed so that the randomized output is repeatable by the device, no need to sent to track.

rcbuse
RE Developer

25 Jun 2018

cognitive wrote:
25 Jun 2018

One thing that would be incredibly useful in any random generator like this is allowing for an optional user-specified seed so that the randomized output is repeatable by the device, no need to sent to track.
Previous discussion on the subject
viewtopic.php?p=400448#p400448

cognitive

25 Jun 2018

rcbuse wrote:
25 Jun 2018
cognitive wrote:
25 Jun 2018

Previous discussion on the subject
viewtopic.php?p=400448#p400448
Yeah, sorry I missed that and posted too quickly.

Funny, I had just come back to the thread to update my post with the issue of playback from arbitrary playback points on the timeline and having to potentially regenerate the pseudo-random sequence up to the playback point every time.

That said, I do intend to pick this one up. Cheers.

guitfnky

25 Jun 2018

I must be missing something...how does the timing randomization work? I’m not seeing it in the manual, and having trouble figuring it out. seems like the offsets are altering the note pitch, not timing?
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

manisnotabird

25 Jun 2018

guitfnky wrote:
25 Jun 2018
I must be missing something...how does the timing randomization work? I’m not seeing it in the manual, and having trouble figuring it out. seems like the offsets are altering the note pitch, not timing?
There isn't timing randomization.

guitfnky

25 Jun 2018

manisnotabird wrote:
25 Jun 2018
guitfnky wrote:
25 Jun 2018
There isn't timing randomization.
there’s supposed to be, unless I’m way off on my reading comprehension...
rcbuse wrote:
15 Jun 2018
What is possible is the modification of midi notes, and the generation of midi notes.

note values, timing, velocity.

rcbuse
RE Developer

25 Jun 2018

guitfnky wrote:
25 Jun 2018

there’s supposed to be, unless I’m way off on my reading comprehension...
rcbuse wrote:
15 Jun 2018
What is possible is the modification of midi notes, and the generation of midi notes.

note values, timing, velocity.
There isn't any sort of midi delay / timing randomization of incoming notes in RND. The above quote was in the context of someone asking for a player than randomizes patches. The only thing player have access to in general are note values, timing, velocity.

guitfnky

25 Jun 2018

ah, I thought you were putting it also in the context of what RND does... since it can generate its own output, I took that to mean we could manipulate the timing with it. thanks for the clarification.

xylyx

26 Jun 2018

I haven't had as much time to spend trying out new stuff as I would have liked but how much overlap, if any, is there with the generating abilities of RND and PSQ? Just wondering, as I purchased PSQ in the last sale and really haven't had chance to explore it properly yet...

rcbuse
RE Developer

26 Jun 2018

xylyx wrote:
26 Jun 2018
I haven't had as much time to spend trying out new stuff as I would have liked but how much overlap, if any, is there with the generating abilities of RND and PSQ? Just wondering, as I purchased PSQ in the last sale and really haven't had chance to explore it properly yet...
Well, PSQ isn't going to be doing any modification of incoming midi, like RND. But, if you only care about the generation, PSQ + CVPT cleans the house with RND.

Catblack

26 Jun 2018

I'd love it if RND had CV out for the 4 pulse generators.

Perhaps also renaming the 'alt' mode to 'asc' and give us a 'dec' mode too? (And then probably ping pong and reverse ping pong too?)

Also what is the octave range on the display?

I've had success with 3 out of 4 tests with RND so far; I've had one playing hypnotically in the background for a couple of hours now.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Bes
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2018

Catblack wrote:
26 Jun 2018

Perhaps also renaming the 'alt' mode to 'asc' and give us a 'dec' mode too? (And then probably ping pong and reverse ping pong too?)

I've had success with 3 out of 4 tests with RND so far; I've had one playing hypnotically in the background for a couple of hours now.
you can get cv out using the free player tap device https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... layer-tap/

i would prefer cv in because it quickly clogs up a combinator (RND has some 100+ assignable options but i am using atleast 4 every time)
- Certified Reason expert

Catblack

27 Jun 2018

Bes wrote:
26 Jun 2018
Catblack wrote:
26 Jun 2018

you can get cv out using the free player tap device https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... layer-tap/

i would prefer cv in because it quickly clogs up a combinator (RND has some 100+ assignable options but i am using atleast 4 every time)
No, I would want the ability to get each pulse generator's output separately, as a note and gate output. That way I can route part of it out to other things. I know, I could duplicate and creatively stack things... but just having cv out would be easier.

I hadn't noticed just how much you could tweak in a combi's programmer with RND and you are right about it needing inputs, too.

Damn.

Bes
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2018

oh i feel like a fool i incorrectly assumed that PT would output each pulse separately but it seems to collapse them all to a single gate note output. i cannot find a manual for the device to properly understand how it is distributing notes

cv in would be hard because the mod matrix would have to be very compact or on the reverse. i have only seen that on an oenkenstein device before but it is smart use of limited space
- Certified Reason expert

seqoi

27 Jun 2018

This is perfect! Thank you for amazing device..

Anyway i think i am dumb with this one. I can't record notes directly to track? I am not speaking about Send to Track function i am speaking about "Direct Record" function ( viewtopic.php?p=400420#p400420 ). Tried it with combination of Reason record button but nothing gets recorded...

Is it finally that moment of taking too much of weed when i was young that takes effect now? :o :puf_bigsmile:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2018

seqoi wrote:
27 Jun 2018
This is perfect! Thank you for amazing device..

Anyway i think i am dumb with this one. I can't record notes directly to track? I am not speaking about Send to Track function i am speaking about "Direct Record" function ( viewtopic.php?p=400420#p400420 ). Tried it with combination of Reason record button but nothing gets recorded...

Is it finally that moment of taking too much of weed when i was young that takes effect now? :o :puf_bigsmile:
it is just a simple of case of setting the Direct Record, also make sure that the track is armed (which is done by selecting the instrument device in question, unless you have "manual rec" set ) then hit record on the transport bar.

rcbuse
RE Developer

27 Jun 2018

Catblack wrote:
26 Jun 2018

CV Ins and Outs are on the todo list, as well as the standard sequencer movements, forward, back, pendulum 1&2, walk...

display shows all 128 midi keys.

Catblack

27 Jun 2018

rcbuse wrote:
27 Jun 2018
Catblack wrote:
26 Jun 2018

CV Ins and Outs are on the todo list, as well as the standard sequencer movements, forward, back, pendulum 1&2, walk...

Awesome!
Attachments
Panda.jpg
Panda.jpg (33.27 KiB) Viewed 3129 times

Damn.

Faastwalker

27 Jun 2018

MannequinRaces

28 Jun 2018

rcbuse wrote:
27 Jun 2018
That's going to be a nice update!

Voyager

29 Jun 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
27 Jun 2018
Honestly this demo didn't impress me at all. I'm actually trialling this device, didn't experiment a lot yet but for me it seems that it doesn't work for melodies but perhaps i can see a use for spicing ambient drone/glitchy sounds.

Loque

29 Jun 2018

Voyager wrote:
29 Jun 2018
Faastwalker wrote:
27 Jun 2018
Honestly this demo didn't impress me at all. I'm actually trialling this device, didn't experiment a lot yet but for me it seems that it doesn't work for melodies but perhaps i can see a use for spicing ambient drone/glitchy sounds.
Anyone tried to combine this with CVTP? The back panel is "boring" and i would like to know how this works together with sending the note-signals to other devices, like an EQ to make it randomly (hopefully pitched correctly) some EQ spikes? Use cases like this could be very interesting for drones and stuff...
Reason12, Win10

Catblack

29 Jun 2018

Loque wrote:
29 Jun 2018

Anyone tried to combine this with CVTP? The back panel is "boring" and i would like to know how this works together with sending the note-signals to other devices, like an EQ to make it randomly (hopefully pitched correctly) some EQ spikes? Use cases like this could be very interesting for drones and stuff...
I haven' t actually tried this yet. The problem -- well, it's not a problem, but a workflow issue -- is that with RND you get say Pulse 1 going to where you like it, then you maybe move onto Pulse 2, rather than making a new RND instance. Which is why I think it needs CV out, so you can isolate each pulse and use it elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong though. RND supplants sliced bread as the greatest ever! But from my limited experience I just use a sinlg eone with 2 or 3 pulses rather than make new ones to isolate what it's doing.

Damn.

Loque

29 Jun 2018

Catblack wrote:
29 Jun 2018
Loque wrote:
29 Jun 2018

I haven' t actually tried this yet. The problem -- well, it's not a problem, but a workflow issue -- is that with RND you get say Pulse 1 going to where you like it, then you maybe move onto Pulse 2, rather than making a new RND instance. Which is why I think it needs CV out, so you can isolate each pulse and use it elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong though. RND supplants sliced bread as the greatest ever! But from my limited experience I just use a sinlg eone with 2 or 3 pulses rather than make new ones to isolate what it's doing.
Ah....yea, the multiple engines is a good point for several CV jacks...But for a simple EQ-frequency example it should not matter.
Reason12, Win10

cognitive

29 Jun 2018

I'm really starting to have a lot of fun with this player. There have been moments where I was grinning like Hydlide in that video. :D

Also, the included combinators are brilliant.

I had figured out a lot on my own by reading the RND manual and some experimentation. Then I thought, "Hey, I wonder if there are some combinators that were installed with the player?"

Why yes. Yes there were. :)

• Information