RND Generator Randomizer from Lectric Panda

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
guitfnky

22 Jun 2018

rcbuse wrote:
22 Jun 2018
guitfnky wrote:
21 Jun 2018
WHEN?
Hopefully soon. Things are pending approval right now, but I think there might be a holiday. Maybe early next week?
thanks!

also, it’s awesome how responsive you are, here. I don’t know where you’re from, but you’re a national treasure. 😆
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Faastwalker

22 Jun 2018

rcbuse wrote:
22 Jun 2018
guitfnky wrote:
21 Jun 2018
WHEN?
Hopefully soon. Things are pending approval right now, but I think there might be a holiday. Maybe early next week?
🙁 Was hoping it would be here for my free weekend. Oh well, evenings next week after work are also free. Stoked for this one. Any word on price?

ljekio

22 Jun 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
21 Jun 2018

I did ages ago.. this is the latest.

Great! Grab it to my workstation, thanks a lot.

rcbuse
RE Developer

22 Jun 2018

Alright, for all my nerds out there

RND Operation Manual

Reg Price: $29 USD/EUR
Intro Price: $25 USD/EUR

antic604

22 Jun 2018

rcbuse wrote:
22 Jun 2018

RND Operation Manual

Thanks!

However, pulse generators - do all 4 work all the time, produce and send out the pulses all the time or just the one that has "ON" button enabled and if it's the latter, can the generator 1-4 be selected via pattern line in Reason's sequencer (like for Matrix or Redrum)?

rcbuse
RE Developer

22 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
22 Jun 2018
rcbuse wrote:
22 Jun 2018

RND Operation Manual

Thanks!

However, pulse generators - do all 4 work all the time, produce and send out the pulses all the time or just the one that has "ON" button enabled and if it's the latter, can the generator 1-4 be selected via pattern line in Reason's sequencer (like for Matrix or Redrum)?
They all work at the same time. There is pattern support, but its only a single pattern for on/off and time offset.

MannequinRaces

22 Jun 2018

Looking good! Thanks for the manual and pricing. I like your description for the back panel, lol.

manisnotabird

23 Jun 2018

It would be cool if it incorporated the "Pitch Prob(ability)" feature from Fritz. So, for example, in MIDI mode you could set it so there's a 70% chance it outputs the same note as the input, a 20% chance it outputs the note an octave above the input, and a 10% chance it outputs the note a perfect fifth above.

rcbuse
RE Developer

23 Jun 2018

manisnotabird wrote:
23 Jun 2018
It would be cool if it incorporated the "Pitch Prob(ability)" feature from Fritz. So, for example, in MIDI mode you could set it so there's a 70% chance it outputs the same note as the input, a 20% chance it outputs the note an octave above the input, and a 10% chance it outputs the note a perfect fifth above.
You might have to play with the probabilities, but I think that scenario would be possible with stacking two of them

RND 1: Prob 22%, Choice 1, Offset +12
RND 2: Prob 10%, Choice 1, Offset +7

seqoi

23 Jun 2018

antic604 wrote:
22 Jun 2018

It's a Player device, so the standard "Send to track" button should work (write the MIDI notes to sequencer clip) - you can see it in the video in the upper-right corner.
I don't think so. I mean you are right "Send to track" does send what's in the sequencer on to track, sure i use that all the time but we are speaking about "Random note generator" here. Emphasis is on "random" right?

Maybe i was not clear since my English is limited. Sorry i apologize for that and possibly Panda can give us some light on this one but hear why i am confused and why i think Send to track won't work.

I load random device, and i tune it with various values. And it generate random notes right? Imagine i am listening it and i hear it generated something i liked right? But "Send to track" won't help in this situation because send to track will send midi notes to track FROM that moment when i press "Send to track" , but that's already too late because random device already "passed" on to another set of random data so to speak (i am struggling to explain). And when i press "Send to track" it will place notes between locators but these notes will be new batch of random notes, not what i heard and what i liked right?

Unless there is some buffer in the backgrounds which is "recording" random notes in which case "Send to track" could actually work to some extent but i doubt it.

Either way i am pretty sure Send to Track does not work as expected in case of "random" devices. I hope i am wrong though.

If i am wrong i am imagining in my head that some sort of spider device maybe which will record random experimentation on the fly to another empty midi track?

rcbuse
RE Developer

23 Jun 2018

seqoi wrote:
23 Jun 2018
antic604 wrote:
22 Jun 2018

It's a Player device, so the standard "Send to track" button should work (write the MIDI notes to sequencer clip) - you can see it in the video in the upper-right corner.
I don't think so. I mean you are right "Send to track" does send what's in the sequencer on to track, sure i use that all the time but we are speaking about "Random note generator" here. Emphasis is on "random" right?

If i am wrong i am imagining in my head that some sort of spider device maybe which will record random experimentation on the fly to another empty midi track?
You are correct, "Send to Track" will create a whole new batch of random values. I'm not sure a spider device is necessary, if you enable the "Direct Record" switch on the player header, you can just record what the players are generating in real time.
Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 10.29.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 10.29.00 AM.png (54.08 KiB) Viewed 4299 times

Loque

23 Jun 2018

Always good to have control over the random seed...
Reason12, Win10

Undistraction

23 Jun 2018

Loque wrote:
23 Jun 2018
Yes. This is where so many random features fall down. A seedable random value makes so much practical sense.

rcbuse
RE Developer

23 Jun 2018

Undistraction wrote:
23 Jun 2018
Loque wrote:
23 Jun 2018
Yes. This is where so many random features fall down. A seedable random value makes so much practical sense.
This is quite difficult to implement practically. Say for instance you have a random number generator you seed with a number

Then it kicks out a sequence 8 4 7 2 3 1 1 5 6 4 3 8 8 6 5 7 3 5 5 6 etc..

Now, when you do reset it ? When the transport starts ? What about when they restart the transport in some weird place and now that sequence doesn't line up with were it was? How do you handle a looping transport ?

Then when you start looking at devices like PSQ, wtih multiple sequencers and different clock rates, adjusting the speed of one sequence changes the polling of the random number generator and changes the values on the other sequencers.. so you end up needing a ton of separate number generators or things get all off when you adjust one parameter.

So once I started going down this road, the choice was either "Full random" or "Half-ass seeded pseudo random, only repeats under specific conditions"

Loque

23 Jun 2018

rcbuse wrote:
23 Jun 2018
Undistraction wrote:
23 Jun 2018

This is quite difficult to implement practically. Say for instance you have a random number generator you seed with a number

Then it kicks out a sequence 8 4 7 2 3 1 1 5 6 4 3 8 8 6 5 7 3 5 5 6 etc..

Now, when you do reset it ? When the transport starts ? What about when they restart the transport in some weird place and now that sequence doesn't line up with were it was? How do you handle a looping transport ?

Then when you start looking at devices like PSQ, wtih multiple sequencers and different clock rates, adjusting the speed of one sequence changes the polling of the random number generator and changes the values on the other sequencers.. so you end up needing a ton of separate number generators or things get all off when you adjust one parameter.

So once I started going down this road, the choice was either "Full random" or "Half-ass seeded pseudo random, only repeats under specific conditions"
Fair point. But with pure random its tricky to get reproducible results. Why not just seed it when it got seeded? If it is automatable, i can reset it when i want, mostly on load up and start of the song. In PSQ the random if the pitch is too random for me, so i record something and cross fingers. Without recording and only song rendering its too dangerous. And in the end iam always to lazy to route, cut, rearrange, so i dont ist this feature as much as I want to...

What chances are there to control the randomness or recall it?
Reason12, Win10

rcbuse
RE Developer

23 Jun 2018

Loque wrote:
23 Jun 2018
Why not just seed it when it got seeded? If it is automatable, i can reset it when i want, mostly on load up and start of the song.

In PSQ the random if the pitch is too random for me, so i record something and cross fingers. Without recording and only song rendering its too dangerous. And in the end iam always to lazy to route, cut, rearrange, so i dont ist this feature as much as I want to...

What chances are there to control the randomness or recall it?
Well, like I said, I can either go full random or a half-implemented random sort of thing. Putting in control for a random seed with an automation to reset doesn't feel complete to me. If I were to put it in a release, it would have to be more transparent than that, and I have yet to find a solution to that problem.

Faastwalker

24 Jun 2018

rcbuse wrote:
22 Jun 2018

RND Operation Manual

Excellent. Hope it's in the shop soon. Insta buy based on the price & that intro video alone ;)

manisnotabird

25 Jun 2018

rcbuse wrote:
23 Jun 2018
manisnotabird wrote:
23 Jun 2018
You might have to play with the probabilities, but I think that scenario would be possible with stacking two of them

Wouldn't that produce an octave plus a fifth 2.2% of the time?

seqoi

25 Jun 2018

rcbuse wrote:
23 Jun 2018

You are correct, "Send to Track" will create a whole new batch of random values. I'm not sure a spider device is necessary, if you enable the "Direct Record" switch on the player header, you can just record what the players are generating in real time.

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 10.29.00 AM.png
Thank you for clarification and for quick tip. I actually never realized "Direct Record" tool until now. That will precisely do what i want.

Keep up the good work matte your devices are among best out there!

rcbuse
RE Developer

25 Jun 2018

manisnotabird wrote:
25 Jun 2018
rcbuse wrote:
23 Jun 2018

Wouldn't that produce an octave plus a fifth 2.2% of the time?
Doh! You are right. Maths are hard.

Faastwalker

25 Jun 2018

Yay! Sold to me :D

chimp_spanner

25 Jun 2018

It's fantastic! RND + Note Echo + Scales + some delay = endless heaven haha. Great work man. Love it.

rcbuse
RE Developer

25 Jun 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
25 Jun 2018
It's fantastic! RND + Note Echo + Scales + some delay = endless heaven haha. Great work man. Love it.
Yea, you can find some sweet spots and just let it run for hours... I also recommend putting it inside a combinator, using a slow slow LFO on the combinator to modulate the offsets over time.
Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 9.01.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 9.01.55 AM.png (29.49 KiB) Viewed 3898 times

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

25 Jun 2018

rcbuse wrote:
25 Jun 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
25 Jun 2018
Yea, you can find some sweet spots and just let it run for hours... I also recommend putting it inside a combinator, using a slow slow LFO on the combinator to modulate the offsets over time.

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 9.01.55 AM.png
The smooth random LFO from for example Europa is eeeeexcellent for this. :geek:

• Information