What features are REALLY necessary for Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chaosroyale

21 Jun 2018

Reason is a virtual rack style DAW.
It uses virtual cables to connect effects and instruments.
This will not change. If you want a different paradigm of DAW, Bitwig and Live are pretty good.

Take a deep breath, be realistic. What features are REALLY necessary for a Reason update, that is still recognizably Reason.

Props say they are working on improved VST performance, so let's assume that will already be included.

I'll start: combinator with 8 knobs, 8 buttons, and 8 faders/sliders. Text input for values to save time fucking around with the horribly imprecise shift-and-move method.

antic604

21 Jun 2018

Oh, just few small things!

User interface:
- support for 4K and high-DPI screens - just re-draw all the devices to 4x or 8x bigger bitmaps and add scaling of the interface,
- ability to stack work areas, especially Rack and Mixer side-by-side, not on top of each other, for those working on laptops / single screens,

Sequencer:
- grouping of tracks,
- multi clip editing, so I can see notes from 2+ clips in editor overlaid on top of each other in sync with sequencer,
- disabling of tracks, so that the devices there don't consume any DSP,
- ability to select vertical slice of the arrangement (for duplicating, copying to blocks, etc.),
- keyboard shortcuts to: mute / solo / (un)collapse the track you're hovering over, to change grid snap sizes,
- alias / linked clips - a feature where changing content of one clip changes the content of all clips within the same "linked" group,

Rack:
- add (optionally?) cables with Note CV & Gate coming out of Mix Channels into Players and Instruments, to have visual and functional consistency - they're now invisible,
- allow the option(!) to display VST plugins in Rack like the REs currently are, by simply resizing them to fit in width, adding CV Matrix below and sockets on the back,

Mixer:
- in graphical EQ add an option to display spectrum before and after the EQ and filters,

File system:
- samples should be contained in separate sub-folder within the project folder, so that each new version of the project doesn't have to contain everything but just refers to that sub-folder
Last edited by antic604 on 21 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

w1pl0c

21 Jun 2018

When resetting a reason device (like thor), I would like to be able to customize what it resets to. Saving the default patch that it resets to to a super saw, or for instance in Europa how the Mod matrix is pre filled in. I would like to be able to make that cleared. Pretty please :)

RobC

21 Jun 2018

w1pl0c wrote:
21 Jun 2018
When resetting a reason device (like thor), I would like to be able to customize what it resets to.
That would indeed be great!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

Better performance is always nice. Like you said VST performance will be improved so that's good.

Freeze track option would also be nice.

Maybe being able to switch the default color when creating a new mix track. The orange is pretty ugly and is surprisingly annoying to look at everytime I open Reason and load a new instrument.

That's about it for me.

motuscott

21 Jun 2018

Pie tasting tab in the tool window defaults to rhubarb.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

BRIGGS

21 Jun 2018

I hope props are reading this thread. I agree with almost all of the ideas presented.
r11s

makke

21 Jun 2018

User interface:
- support for 4K and high-DPI screens - just re-draw all the devices to 4x or 8x bigger bitmaps and add scaling of the interface,
- ability to stack work areas, especially Rack and Mixer side-by-side, not on top of each other, for those working on laptops / single screens,
+100 to these. Everything is so small!

My shortlist

Most important fixes to me:

- Automatically returning playing cursor
- Midichase

These would help a lot:

- Curves for automation
- Bypass button in vst wrapper
- Dr. Octo Rex support for WAV's (never gonna happen, but you can always dream about it)
- Sample/loop playing sync with the beat going on sequencer
- Save default settings to all native and VST plugins, so everytime you add new instance, it has your settings already
- Double click to knobs = reset default. These are pretty much standard feature on any VST or DAW's in these days
- Unlimited track resizing/zooming/whatever it is called

These came on my mind quickly :think:

EDIT: 60 FPS GUI! All the analyzer etc are currently very laggy!
Last edited by makke on 21 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

eusti

21 Jun 2018

RobC wrote:
21 Jun 2018
w1pl0c wrote:
21 Jun 2018
When resetting a reason device (like thor), I would like to be able to customize what it resets to.
Can't you just create your own init patch?

D.

Noise
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

Not asking to much for now:

In browser mode:
Pressing a key letter, would go to the folder. Like every file explorer!

Blocks:
1 ) Currently it's possible to "Convert block clips to song clips"
What about the opposite ? Everything in the song clip beneath the block, would be inside of it.

2 ) Empty the contents of a Block.
( if i use the last project, I want to reuse the block names, and clear everything inside ! )

also, this changes for 10.5 would be nice :puf_wink:
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

jetpilot00

21 Jun 2018

All the sequencer improvements already listed and:

- A now generation mixer that allows us to choose the 500 Series modules we want for each channel that shows up graphically in the mixer. Think SSL XL-Desk.

-JP
***If life is a song, I've just passed the guitar solo.***

Ahornberg

21 Jun 2018

Noise wrote:
21 Jun 2018
1 ) Currently it's possible to "Convert block clips to song clips"
always something new to learn ... thanks for mentioning, I didn't know that.

RobC

21 Jun 2018

eusti wrote:
21 Jun 2018
RobC wrote:
21 Jun 2018

Can't you just create your own init patch?

D.
As a matter of fact, I do have a clean patch for devices I use, but I don't know how to reset to those, except for dragging the preset in.

scratchnsnifff

21 Jun 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
21 Jun 2018
This will not change. If you want a different paradigm of DAW, Bitwig and Live are pretty good.

Take a deep breath, be realistic. What features are REALLY necessary for a Reason update, that is still recognizably Reason.

Props say they are working on improved VST performance, so let's assume that will already be included.

I'll start: combinator with 8 knobs, 8 buttons, and 8 faders/sliders. Text input for values to save time fucking around with the horribly imprecise shift-and-move method.
Adding more matrix slots per device inside of the combinator.

Since all of the sdk updates we have devices like Europa and expanse that you literally have to limit what you want for controlled parameters

I think you can add 10 settings to the 4 buttons and knobs. That’s one parameter to each knob and button. But not counting things like mod wheel pitch bend after touch.

Also the combinator could use a velocity option for modulation

If they added more matrix slots per device I’d be happy even if it was just 8 extra slots per synth.

Maybe seeing a better Eq for the ssl
Updating the mastering tools
I’d like to see the props get working with isotope to make some Reason mastering devices.
A modern distortion unit with a custom wave shaper curve and the ability to save shapes

Europa could use 3 separate user samples
A global option for the spectral filter
A new effect rack with a normal parametric EQ and dry wet for the compressor
Grains spectral eq mode could have the ability to sweep the drawable curve
Also it would be cool to have a grain mode that uses europas random gain harmonic generator. It would be cool for more expressive patches

Combinator knobs that have text input gets translated to the sequencer!!!!!!!!! I almost agree that it’s more of a bug that when you rename a knob that the sequencer doesn’t display the name

They really should make a update cycle that focuses on the combinator giving it the features listed above as well as using the learn function from the vst wrapper and players

The only other thing I’m dying to see is a proper clip launcher for Djing but it would need the ability to have insert effects and a mode with the ability for cross fading between two clips/songs ( a clip launch mode and a Vinyl mode)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Loque

21 Jun 2018

Massiv sequencer enhancements, sample editing, Combinator and modular improvements.

And seriously not more content.
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

21 Jun 2018

- Track freeze
- Clean up cable interface and make it easier to navigate and operate
- Group/hide channels would be nice

That'd do for me.

Undistraction

21 Jun 2018

I would love to be able to copy a clip to multiple places and by editing one clip, edit all the copies.

RobC

21 Jun 2018

More dead processing possibilities, like analyzing an audio clip for info like peak, average, etc.

jlgrimes

21 Jun 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
21 Jun 2018

GUI/Workflow (New Devices):

Update graphics on pretty much everything to make better use of increased screensize monitors for Rack, Sequencer, Mixer.
Modernize the Regroove Mixer look to look inline with rest of program (as well as update the presets for 8th note swing)
More keybindings for Grid Resolution in Sequencer
Modernize look of all Reason legacy devices to get them up to date with looks of Europa/Grain.
Track Freeze
Track Markers
"Retrigger" (A Blocks triggering device to trigger playback of Blocks at predetermined user selectable quantized rates (or no quantize)) with ability to record performance.
Slice Mode tracks should be adjustable to height to fit screen (same with audio/midi editor, arrange tracks a la most DAWs).
More Skins/Themes

Browser:

More customization as far as default folder locations for new REs. Default new patch
Key commands to shift focus back in Browser after modifying a device and wanting to change presets.

Mixer:

Mixer's GUI should be resizable (a la Ableton, Studio One, Reaper)
You should be able to type in DB levels
You should be able to select multiple tracks and control various parameters at once.
Number of Sends/Returns should be infinite (a la Mix Channels, and most other Reason concepts)

Remote/Midi mapping:

Support for Akai Advance,
"Midi Map mode" where mapping of various controls can be done in one swoop (make the process a bit faster).
Create repository to share user remote map files for various REs

Sequencer:

More grid options
Automation curves/shapes

Device improvements:

Redrum II (Build upon techniques in the new Drum Sequencer, and Uumf but with the 64 steps and 32 patterns of Redrum) (Consider a "breathing" grid that can adapt to
using multiple resolutions at once).
Kong (Drumsynth improvements (maybe open it up to RE developers, ability to use various REs VSTs inside of Kong), NN sampler improvements (filters))
Matrix (A bigger GUI would help to view more octaves at once, More Curve resolutions, Record in Matrix,)
Samplers (put the editor in the Samplers to make one screen), more filtering options

jlgrimes

21 Jun 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
21 Jun 2018

Yup I forgot about this one. Most controllers now have 8 knobs, so 8 knobs would really help.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

In addition to all the great ideas above, I’d like:

Unified editor view: see the device, it’s piano roll (or player sequencer), and mixer strip all on one screen. Something like Europa’s web-version but with a piano roll.

Copy/paste combinator routings if instruments are identical. If I have 8 stacked Thor’s and I want Combinator Rotary 1 to change all their filters, I shouldn’t have to manually route that for each device.

Auto-explode audio routing: Create a mix channel for each output of multi-jack devices and route the cables automatically.

Smart sampler output routing: Could Reason’s new sampler intelligently read sample names and auto route them to discrete outputs? E.g. most kick samples are named “kick***, kik***, bd***.” Auto-route these to outputs 1+2, snares (“snare***, snr***, sd***”) to 3+4, etc...

Macro-macro-controls: Link the knobs of multiple combi’s or instruments (or channel faders) to one automation lane.

SSL channel compressor and EQ as rack devices.

DSP usage statistics per device chain and estimated stress test: if I can’t duplicate 20 of this insane combi I just made, I’d like to know it before I try.

Post-fader inserts.

Probability, aftertouch and pitch bend per note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

groggy1

21 Jun 2018

Assuming VST perf-fix is a given...

I guess the two *improvements* that I'd like to see the most:
1) A real "freeze"
2) Track folders
2) MIDI editing improvements

But if you really want me to be *excited* about Reason11, the above items won't do it for me. (I get by without them, personally) Here's the things that would get me truly excited about Reason11:
1) A Eurorack-like focus, with "components" sold in the Prop Shop
2) VST MIDI support - would LOVE to use Reaktor without funky MIDI-loopback

Crumbfort

21 Jun 2018

groggy1 wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Assuming VST perf-fix is a given...

I guess the two *improvements* that I'd like to see the most:
1) A real "freeze"
2) Track folders
2) MIDI editing improvements

But if you really want me to be *excited* about Reason11, the above items won't do it for me. (I get by without them, personally) Here's the things that would get me truly excited about Reason11:
1) A Eurorack-like focus, with "components" sold in the Prop Shop
2) VST MIDI support - would LOVE to use Reaktor without funky MIDI-loopback
You nailed it! I feel exactly the same way about all points. The VST performance improvement (that props have said is happening) is absolutely crucial for me. At the moment it's extremely rough on my 3.33 GHz 6-Core mac pro even running a few lightweight VST plugins. So.... that's a big one.

Real freeze, yes. Track Folders, yup yup. MIDI/audio editing improvements, yarp. I love the "eurorack component style RE" idea. Take my money! I would really enjoy a new updated combinator as well.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

mon

21 Jun 2018

1. Performance improvements
2. Recallable snapshots of mixer states
3. Regions and markers with ability to recall snapshots
4. Preview wav samples with tempo sync
5. Automation improvements - curves, LFO waves to automation (like in Reaper) etc...
6. Not likely to happen but it would be awesome to have mode resembling live mode in Ableton, Bitwig or Maschine to try different clip combination and for live performances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

mon

21 Jun 2018

Undistraction wrote:I would love to be able to copy a clip to multiple places and by editing one clip, edit all the copies.
There is a workaround using blocks :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

• Information