What is your favorite wav to mp3 converter?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
abeonis

20 Jun 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
19 Jun 2018
Btw. I'm using ffmpeg for this. For me, that's the easiest way of doing conversions or containings.
On windows it's a bit of a mess to have ffmpeg compiling with libfdk_acc. Glad I'm using it on macos.
More generally speaking, ffmpeg is a great tool. Once I capture my screen with OBS, I use ffmpeg to remove the garbage at the start and end of the video. The big advantage is that the video is not converted/reconverted. It just trims the file.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 9.5 | Live 10 Suite + Push2 | Intel i7 8700K | 16 GB RAM | Scarlett 6x6 | Arturia MiniLab MK II | 2x Novation LaunchControl XL

dandandaaan

20 Jun 2018

Audacity is super useful for the flexibility/batch processing/normalisation plugin, but VLC is very quick and dirty. I use the former for proper finished products and the latter for quick bounces to test mix etc.
singer/songwriter with electronic tendencies

http://pointsmusic.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/points_music

Logic / Ableton Live / Reason Rack / Nord Stage 2 / Moog Grandmother / Eurorack / Guitars, drums, toys

chimp_spanner

20 Jun 2018

FlicFlac! It's free, it's runnable, and it automatically deposits MP3s in the source directory of the wave file with a simple click and drag. Noice!

skie

20 Jun 2018

Wait nobody uses iTunes to convert from WAV to MP3?? Is there something wrong with iTunes conversion ability I'm missing? I'm surprised people are using seperate programs for this...

deepndark

20 Jun 2018

I use Switch, bought it off many years ago - it allows a right click on a wav and convert to almost any format possible.

dandandaaan

20 Jun 2018

skie wrote:
20 Jun 2018
Wait nobody uses iTunes to convert from WAV to MP3?? Is there something wrong with iTunes conversion ability I'm missing? I'm surprised people are using seperate programs for this...
I don't think iTunes can convert to MP3 can it? Mine only gives the option to convert a .wav to an .aac, unless I'm missing something
singer/songwriter with electronic tendencies

http://pointsmusic.bandcamp.com/
https://soundcloud.com/points_music

Logic / Ableton Live / Reason Rack / Nord Stage 2 / Moog Grandmother / Eurorack / Guitars, drums, toys

fieldframe
RE Developer

20 Jun 2018

I use xACT: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14246/xact

Its specialty is FLAC, but it also has a nice, simple UI for batch encoding MP3, M4A, or OGG. I use it all the time to share Reason exports, and encoded the FLAC distribution masters for my new album with it.

skie

20 Jun 2018

dandandaaan wrote:
20 Jun 2018
skie wrote:
20 Jun 2018
I don't think iTunes can convert to MP3 can it? Mine only gives the option to convert a .wav to an .aac, unless I'm missing something
Yes absolutely it can. Just google how to do it. It works like a charm for me. I set it to convert to highest quality level and feed it 44.1/24 bit wavs, I can usually attach 5 3 min mp3's per email using gmail. Been using iTunes for conversion since August '16.

jlgrimes

20 Jun 2018

skie wrote:
20 Jun 2018
I use iTunes but I'll admit it is kind of fiddly.

The GUI has gotten pretty bad recently.

Most DAWS do this now.

I will try something like Audacity or Reaper.

TheGodOfRainbows

03 Jul 2018

I use DBpoweramp. It cost about 30 or $40, but I think it’s worth it. It has batch options, right clickable context menu, and just works for me.

Reasonable man

03 Jul 2018

If anyone uses soundforge can they tell me if its worth buying . Was gonna use it for file conversions but also audio sampling editor etc . It just seems really pricey to me atm

tibah

03 Jul 2018

LameDropXPd. Simple frontend for lame. Easy. :)

Mr. Watts

06 Jul 2018

+1 for Audacity

It's free, looks professional, has useful tools such as clip detector and normalization, and the ability to add metadata tags such as artist, song name, and genre.

Marco Raaphorst

06 Jul 2018

the Props should include a convertor imo.

I still use Audacity for this

adfielding

06 Jul 2018

In macOS I use XLD which is bloody brilliant. Drag & drop, with a good selection of file format, naming, and quality controls.

In Windows I used to use WinLAME and sometimes Foobar. WinLAME is super simple for quick & easy MP3 conversion, but Foobar became more convenient over time and is generally an excellent audio player.

On a semi-related note: I still really, really wish there was a proper native macOS version of Foobar - I have yet to come across an alternative audio player that can really compete with it in terms of flexibility and functionality.

Aosta

06 Jul 2018

I use Fre:ac.
Does an absolute ton of stuff beyond wav -> mp3 and is free ( you can donate to the dev)
https://www.freac.org/
Tend the flame

Marco Raaphorst

06 Jul 2018

Max for OSX is great too.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

06 Jul 2018

Believe me or not... i use Lame.
I use the lame base encoder (the dos tool) called from an automation script that starts exporting a song in reason, and when it finishes calls the lame encoder for the song, then sends it to my client by mail (the client mail is read from the song settings). ;)

PS.: I have a little example on an unlisted youtube vídeo. I made the video while i was still developing the script so i didn't have the mail sender done. But you can see that i just set the L and R locators, and then i hit a key combination, like ctrl+alt+"." and it starts rolling. The script is so fast that the file tab doesnt even show completely.

In the new version, after lame closes, it goes to the file tab again, opens the song data, copies the email from the song data and sends the song by email to my client.

Skimrok

15 Jul 2018

Coming back to music I now use Audacity mainly for this purpose but with Wavs, loads of little features to make it custom to your own needs , love the fact you can put your name and dates and music genre , I don’t really do Mp3s I used to have minidiscs years back once you step away from them and MP3s you don’t really go back in my experience “that’s me anyway” but mp3s are still used a lot by others so it’s all jiggy

another easy converter and quick loop edits is
Wavosaur

Good news both programs are free and can host VST plug ins if you wish so? Makes them both a great tool if you like playing around
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

jlgrimes

17 Jul 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
03 Jul 2018
If anyone uses soundforge can they tell me if its worth buying . Was gonna use it for file conversions but also audio sampling editor etc . It just seems really pricey to me atm
I used to.

It was great for really zooming in and trimming your samples.

It had some cool effects as well.

IMO it is too expensive for what it does.

I would try Audacity or even Reaper first and see if that works for you.

Some DAWS even have decent audio editing (depending on what you are trying to do):

1. Pro Tools
2. Studio One
3. Cubase
4. Ableton
5. Reaper

I would spend money on one of those first.

Reason wouldn't be too bad if they allowed you to fully vertically expand a track.

jimmyklane

17 Jul 2018

I have an old PC...Pentium III kind of old....but it’s got Cool Edit Pro on there. It is the all-singing, all dancing audio editor that has made Redbook CD masters for my clients for years. It’s also got a metric ton of awesome DSP resources built in, such as creating your own filters and effects.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

jam-s

17 Jul 2018

Yeah, Cool Edit was the best audio editor, but then adobe bought it and changed it into Audition. Still most of its features are now superseded by the free Audacity editor.

DonnieAlan

18 Jul 2018

KirkMarkarian wrote:
18 Jun 2018
Audacity. Easy, quick, scriptable.
+1

DanAnders

02 Feb 2021

Sorry for bumping this. There are so many of them now, which one to choose now?

• Information