What is your favorite wav to mp3 converter?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
calebbrennan

18 Jun 2018

Since reason won't save to mp3 I would like advice on the easiest most reliable audio file converter.
I know i tunes can do it but I'd rather have a dedicated program that can handle multiple file formats.

thank you

future-bit

18 Jun 2018

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 2 times in total.

pushedbutton

18 Jun 2018

@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

KirkMarkarian

18 Jun 2018

Audacity. Easy, quick, scriptable.

Rason

18 Jun 2018

Format Factory :-)

sent using Tapatalk

jam-s

18 Jun 2018

KirkMarkarian wrote:
18 Jun 2018
Audacity. Easy, quick, scriptable.
+1 + free and open

WillyOD

18 Jun 2018

I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

NekujaK

18 Jun 2018

Audacity and CDex - both free.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

rgdaniel

18 Jun 2018

I use something called File Blender (http://sector-seven.net/software/fileblender)
Ultra simple drag and drop conversion tool for a whole host of formats, not just audio.

Steedus
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2018

NekujaK wrote:
18 Jun 2018
Audacity and CDex - both free.
Ha, I still use an old version of CDex, it's probably 15 years old at this point. Still works fine for my needs.

edit just looked it up on wiki and it looks like new versions might be dodgy:
From Wikipedia wrote:The recent reincarnation of CDex has seen a number of sponsored programs being automatically selected during installation with little information about their nature. Scan results suggest there may be a substantial risk to any system these are installed on[5] along with the source code no longer being publicly accessible, preventing independent code review.

This project should be considered as exploited by the new maintainer and should not be trusted. This project should not be trusted or installed on your machine. As the new maintainer has taken over new releases have been pushed out showing activity, the support links are broken, the ticketing system does not exist and is a broken link, there are no contact details or method to interact with the developer and the installer is installing adware without any notifications.

Southgate

18 Jun 2018

For batch conversion

Lamedrop and it's free!

kuhliloach

19 Jun 2018

https://www.dbpoweramp.com

--when you use it from the context window you can do multiple files at the same time and it remembers the last settings you used

Noplan
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2018

edit just looked it up on wiki and it looks like new versions might be dodgy:

I have never installed CDex, just downloaded and started the file. Never had problems with malware.

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2018

I use Codec Toolbox Manager by Sonnox. So easy to add metadata and album art. Also does batch. It's a standalone program, but it also has a plugin component that lets you audition various codecs. I love it.

codectoolbox.png
codectoolbox.png (357.45 KiB) Viewed 4613 times

https://www.sonnox.com/plugin/codec-toolbox
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

abeonis

19 Jun 2018

Audacity. Not only to create mp3.
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 9.5 | Live 10 Suite + Push2 | Intel i7 8700K | 16 GB RAM | Scarlett 6x6 | Arturia MiniLab MK II | 2x Novation LaunchControl XL

theshoemaker

19 Jun 2018

I have read and commented on this topic more than one time. Is it really still legit to use mp3 on new output? There are so many better options these days. People still use mp3 nowadays? I really don't understand it. Probably they are not aware of the better options.

So I guess you use the mp3 converter to provide it to stores, other than that I highly recommend to use AAC instead, as it gives you much better results in quality
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

abeonis

19 Jun 2018

Reason1:
MP3 + Winamp/MilkDrop > OBS to generate psychedelic videos for YouTube.

Reason2:
Listen to my music in my car
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 9.5 | Live 10 Suite + Push2 | Intel i7 8700K | 16 GB RAM | Scarlett 6x6 | Arturia MiniLab MK II | 2x Novation LaunchControl XL

RobC

19 Jun 2018

GoldWave (fantastic batch processing, not just visual editing, etc.) + Lame.

Though Lame Mp3 is enough for processing.

RobC

19 Jun 2018

Southgate wrote:
18 Jun 2018
For batch conversion

Lamedrop and it's free!
Is that like Lame MP3?

tt_lab

19 Jun 2018

For me, dbpoweramp for windows and Swicth for mac

Southgate

19 Jun 2018

RobC wrote:
19 Jun 2018
Southgate wrote:
18 Jun 2018
For batch conversion

Lamedrop and it's free!
Is that like Lame MP3?
Yep...

https://dw.uptodown.com/dwn/fbztREMzL2O ... K_z1MkQQ=/

Since Reason enabled an mp3 load function I converted most of the wav library that I have collected over the years and just converted the lot. It has saved me many many GIGs. I still have the wav files backed up on DVD and an external HD so If i want the better quality I can just replace the files. This way I can use the smaller files to be creative with for ideas.

C//AZM

19 Jun 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
19 Jun 2018
I have read and commented on this topic more than one time. Is it really still legit to use mp3 on new output? There are so many better options these days. People still use mp3 nowadays? I really don't understand it. Probably they are not aware of the better options.

So I guess you use the mp3 converter to provide it to stores, other than that I highly recommend to use AAC instead, as it gives you much better results in quality
I use MP3s several times per song for situations where audio quality needn't be the greatest, but you need it to be as universal as possible such as emailing a working copy to a singer/rapper/guitarist to practice, learn or write with. Especially when you don't know what the receiver will be listening on. I could convert to better formats, but what if they're listening on an iphone or Ipad, or iPod an Android?

MP3 is by far the most universal.

theshoemaker

19 Jun 2018

C//AZM wrote:
19 Jun 2018
theshoemaker wrote:
19 Jun 2018

I use MP3s several times per song for situations where audio quality needn't be the greatest, but you need it to be as universal as possible such as emailing a working copy to a singer/rapper/guitarist to practice, learn or write with. Especially when you don't know what the receiver will be listening on. I could convert to better formats, but what if they're listening on an iphone or Ipad, or iPod an Android?

MP3 is by far the most universal.
In the apple world, aac is default and works on all devices.
if you download from itunes it is a M4A container encodec with AAC

On android since version 4.1
https://developer.android.com/guide/top ... ia-formats

And on windows it works, too out of the box with winamp or windows media player (and other players as well)

If the quality is not the question of concern, and it's just for "reharsal" okay. But really, playing back AAC in an m4a container or just the AAC stream shouldn't be a problem.

In the end everyone using mp3 will be happy ... I'm am not :D and I would just use it for distribution purposes to the shops.

theshoemaker

19 Jun 2018

Btw. I'm using ffmpeg for this. For me, that's the easiest way of doing conversions or containings.
On windows it's a bit of a mess to have ffmpeg compiling with libfdk_acc. Glad I'm using it on macos.

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i input.aac -codec: copy output.m4a

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i input.wav -c:a libfdk_aac -b:a 128k output.m4a
Where -c:a means codec audio and -b:a bitrate audio.

Having a look at its wiki also telling you the qualities of the encoders. For everyone a good read, who is distributing music. https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/HighQualityAudio

Or when I want to upload an image with the song to youtube: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Slideshow#Addingaudio

Like I have been doing it with this picture for

tobypearce

20 Jun 2018

Myriad is superb for mp3 conversation, and absolutely everything else that you could possibly think of.
https://myriad.aurchitect.com

I've never looked back.

My absolutely favourite use for it is its pitch detection for individual samples, and the ability to label those samples in a way that NNXT understands. It makes creating custom next instruments far quicker.

(For example, I have Maschine, which has a load of multi-samples at different pitches. Being able to batch convert some of the process to create NNXT patches is brill.)
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

• Information