Imagine a Hardware version of reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Pajor Hill

05 Feb 2018

Something like a arturia origin mixed with a mpc /maschine interface?

I can dream until then
Listen, Like and Follow

EdGrip

05 Feb 2018

Like a hardware version of a virtual rack full of hardware?

joeyluck

05 Feb 2018

I remember the Open Labs keyboards being somewhat appealing for this concept. Before I realized that a laptop and a portable MIDI controller would give me what I wanted.

So are you imagining a keyboard with all of Reason built-in? Or just something with it's synths built-in?

amcjen

05 Feb 2018

oh i can imagine too. [emoji7]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

selig
RE Developer

05 Feb 2018

amcjen wrote:
05 Feb 2018

Wondered how long it would take to hear from you in this thread… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Oquasec

05 Feb 2018

Mpc, eurorack & Doepfer modules?
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

fieldframe
RE Developer

05 Feb 2018

After years of working with various MIDI controllers (including the Nektar Panorama series), I’ve come to the conclusion that the best controller for Reason would be a simple one: just let me point at a control on the screen and turn a knob on my desk. A single, high-resolution, analog-style encoder that is completely 1:1, with no acceleration or clicks. Basically, let the screen continue to do what it’s best at, while making hardware that fills the gap of tactility.

amcjen

05 Feb 2018

selig wrote:
amcjen wrote:
05 Feb 2018

Wondered how long it would take to hear from you in this thread… ;)
You know me too well! I deferred when I first saw the thread but then I couldn’t help it. :)

QVprod

06 Feb 2018

fieldframe wrote:
05 Feb 2018
After years of working with various MIDI controllers (including the Nektar Panorama series), I’ve come to the conclusion that the best controller for Reason would be a simple one: just let me point at a control on the screen and turn a knob on my desk. A single, high-resolution, analog-style encoder that is completely 1:1, with no acceleration or clicks. Basically, let the screen continue to do what it’s best at, while making hardware that fills the gap of tactility.
Basically Kontrol Master. https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/09/kont ... eview-new/

I have both and they pretty much cancel each other out in usefulness. I have trouble trying to integrate both into my workflow. There are some instances where having the control on the Panorama screen is useful but generally I just grab the mouse and use the much larger computer screen. It's so much faster. As far as a hardware version of Reason. I'm not so sure I'd be excited about it. Having done sound programming on hardware keyboards and rack modules... I much prefer software. Perhaps it would work if it were some sort of hybrid like the Musebox (yet obviously much better) where you can hook it up to a screen, mouse and keyboard. Otherwise menu diving is still annoying even on modern keyboards.

normen

06 Feb 2018

EdGrip wrote:
05 Feb 2018
Thats exactly what I was thinking ^^

Just go to eBay, should be able to buy the equivalent of Reason 1 for about 2000 to 3000€, those old Mackie Desks, AKAI Samplers and such are very cheap these days ;) The synths are unreasonably expensive though xD
fieldframe wrote:
05 Feb 2018
If they'd at least implement turning knobs with the mouse wheel like most DAWs do. One could make the rack scrolling and this separable via an optional key (alt, shift or whatever).

EdGrip

06 Feb 2018

That Kontrol arcade thing looks absolutely ideal.
If I were rich, I'd get one.

mojo

06 Feb 2018

fieldframe wrote:
05 Feb 2018
the audient id4 does it, i don't know if their others audio interfaces do it too.
Clever idea

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Feb 2018

I think Reasonista's have been imaginging this since December 2000 ;)

fieldframe
RE Developer

06 Feb 2018

QVprod wrote:
06 Feb 2018
fieldframe wrote:
05 Feb 2018
Basically Kontrol Master. https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/09/kont ... eview-new/

I have both and they pretty much cancel each other out in usefulness. I have trouble trying to integrate both into my workflow. There are some instances where having the control on the Panorama screen is useful but generally I just grab the mouse and use the much larger computer screen. It's so much faster. As far as a hardware version of Reason. I'm not so sure I'd be excited about it. Having done sound programming on hardware keyboards and rack modules... I much prefer software. Perhaps it would work if it were some sort of hybrid like the Musebox (yet obviously much better) where you can hook it up to a screen, mouse and keyboard. Otherwise menu diving is still annoying even on modern keyboards.
mojo wrote:
06 Feb 2018
the audient id4 does it, i don't know if their others audio interfaces do it too.
Clever idea
That's very interesting; I had no idea the hover-to-control pattern had been implemented in shipping products. I'll have to look into both of those.

That said, these are clearly based around what is essentially a hack - emulating the mouse, which requires having to toggle between control types, and can cause the mouse stuttering mentioned in the review. The ideal solution would be some kind of native integration.

My (quite reasonable, I think!) dream would be for Propellerhead to work with their neighbors Teenage Engineering to integrate TE's Ortho Remote (https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/orthoremote) with Reason. So you'd have native, high-resolution, hover-to-control functionality in Reason, with hardware that already exists and costs less than $100!

Faastwalker

07 Feb 2018

The Kontrol Master looks like a very interesting solution to the problem of hardware control. I'm not so keen on having to select horizontal, vertical or circular parameters individually. It would be a lot neater if it just worked on any parameter without having to select those options first. But it's a cool looking device & I do think a viable option to the problem of hardware control over software parameters. It's far from ideal but the ideal solution does not yet exist.

QVprod

08 Feb 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
07 Feb 2018
The Kontrol Master looks like a very interesting solution to the problem of hardware control. I'm not so keen on having to select horizontal, vertical or circular parameters individually. It would be a lot neater if it just worked on any parameter without having to select those options first. But it's a cool looking device & I do think a viable option to the problem of hardware control over software parameters. It's far from ideal but the ideal solution does not yet exist.
It's fair to mention that the vertical mode does work on knobs in Reason so you could technically get away without using circular mode. I understand though, having to know what mode you're in adds an extra step, but most things are vertical anyway.

djs

08 Feb 2018

My initial thought was a hardware device for the Thor and Redrum? That'd be cool, but rather expensive. Touch screen is probably the closest we will get.

Oquasec

08 Feb 2018

Got some midi controllers for reason years back and called it a day
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Faastwalker

08 Feb 2018

QVprod wrote:
08 Feb 2018
Faastwalker wrote:
07 Feb 2018
It's fair to mention that the vertical mode does work on knobs in Reason so you could technically get away without using circular mode. I understand though, having to know what mode you're in adds an extra step, but most things are vertical anyway.
That's good to know. I feel I'm pretty close to ordering one. I think it would work really well with Reason. Just hovering over a parameter to control, with no set-up or mouse click / drag required. It's one of the most painful workflow glitches in Reason - you click / drag a parameter but you've missed the parameter slightly & drag the device instead. ARRGGHHH!! Drives me mental. Especially if you are shift + dragging for precision, in which case a 'miss' usually means that you move AND uncable a device. Makes my blood boil. From a program where worklfow is touted as a major selling point ('we just want people to be able to get on with making music') this is a pitiful oversight that needs correcting ASAP & it would be so easy to do - right click a device, 'lock in place / rack' to keep it in place so click / dragging on anything but a parameter does NOTHING.

Anyway, soak box moment over. Kontrol Master is the answer ;) There are NO worthy controllers out there for good control of software synths. 8 knobs / sliders / buttons is not enough. Maybe one knob & a mouse to do everything is a better solution than having a shed led of knobs that once mapped ............... you completely forget what control is mapped to what parameter!! :? The Kontrol Master makes a lot of sense for synth tweaking with no set-up & in conjunction with an existing peripheral that we cannot NOT use when using software. Mouse in one hand, knob in the other - a simple & powerful workflow enhancement I think ;) For live / performance then an 8 x 8 x 8 (or more) controller would work better with only very specific parameters mapped as opposed to everything on the synth for more hands on synth programming / tweaking. Horses for courses.

napynap

09 Feb 2018

EdGrip wrote:
05 Feb 2018
Yes, it comes with the added sound of electrical emulation interference :lol: :lol: :lol:
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

K.Markov

11 Feb 2018

Yamaha RS7000 :puf_smile:

taddx

12 Feb 2018

I would totally bite my leg off for a dedicated controller made by Props. One with full integration like Maschine or Push.

theshoemaker

19 Jun 2018

fieldframe wrote:
06 Feb 2018
QVprod wrote:
06 Feb 2018

mojo wrote:
06 Feb 2018
Clever idea
That's very interesting; I had no idea the hover-to-control pattern had been implemented in shipping products. I'll have to look into both of those.

That said, these are clearly based around what is essentially a hack - emulating the mouse, which requires having to toggle between control types, and can cause the mouse stuttering mentioned in the review. The ideal solution would be some kind of native integration.

My (quite reasonable, I think!) dream would be for Propellerhead to work with their neighbors Teenage Engineering to integrate TE's Ortho Remote (https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/orthoremote) with Reason. So you'd have native, high-resolution, hover-to-control functionality in Reason, with hardware that already exists and costs less than $100!
I'm just looking into buying a good usb audiointerface and been comparing the audient id4 with the scarlet solo and 2i2. The mouse emulation sound compelling. Does it really work with reason? Still don't know whether I need the 2i2 or iD4 or the solo is sufficient, but thats OT here.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

tiker01

19 Jun 2018

taddx wrote:
12 Feb 2018
I would totally bite my leg off for a dedicated controller made by Props. One with full integration like Maschine or Push.
This is what is the most lacking thing Reason right now IMO. I am waiting for Nektar to updtae their "P" product line for ages now, but it doesn't seem to happen.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

sdst
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2018

Imagine a Hardware version of reason?

• Information