The 2018 FIFA World Cup

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
EpiGenetik

14 Jun 2018

Okay folks,

We are but 30 minutes away from the start of "the greatest show on earth".

Tell us who you're backing, what players you think will be shining - tell us who you would like to be injured or sent off or what teams put out in the first round if you're the negative type.

For me I expect Germany to be the first team to successfully defend since 1962, and they tend to be a good team to watch. I'll also be supporting Sweden (for software reasons) and Iceland (underdogs).

Not thinking that Spain, Portugal, Brazil or Argentina are in with too much of a chance of winning it, but let's hope that these guys provide all the skill and flair that we know they can produce!!!

Enjoy folks
B

mojo

14 Jun 2018

let's go !!!!

EpiGenetik

14 Jun 2018

Not what I expected from the opening match - usually they are drab boring affairs :)

I also dunno if that scoreline really indicates what happened in that game because Saudi weren't that bad really; they passed well throughout and up until the first goal was scored they looked the more comfortable team - keeper was dismal, though.

Well done Russia :)

Zac

14 Jun 2018

EpiGenetik wrote:
14 Jun 2018
Not what I expected from the opening match - usually they are drab boring affairs :)

I also dunno if that scoreline really indicates what happened in that game because Saudi weren't that bad really; they passed well throughout and up until the first goal was scored they looked the more comfortable team - keeper was dismal, though.

Well done Russia :)
Heh! Different view of the game here... the 1st half was quite good in terms of entertainment. The 2nd half until 80 mins was so dull.

I thought saudi were on the training ground?? Yes they could pass the ball in their own half but as soon as they got confronted by the Russian defence they looked weak. Their defence was awful.

Not a bad 1st game and as a neutral, good that the hosts are still in it.

EpiGenetik

14 Jun 2018

Zac wrote:
14 Jun 2018

Heh! Different view of the game here... the 1st half was quite good in terms of entertainment. The 2nd half until 80 mins was so dull.

I thought saudi were on the training ground?? Yes they could pass the ball in their own half but as soon as they got confronted by the Russian defence they looked weak. Their defence was awful.

Not a bad 1st game and as a neutral, good that the hosts are still in it.
I actually agree - I thought after the first goal that Saudi looked unmotivated/deflated. Although it was only 12 minutes worth they looked better at the start.

ionly

14 Jun 2018

I missed it, watched the goals on a news site though. I'm never sure whom to follow, unless a home team is playing. Always seem to wait until the main characters start to emerge in the early games, and go from there. It's always a great tournament when someone new, an underdog, kicks some ass. I think I supported Iceland and Wales in the last one - some very cool games.
BUT, that semi between Germany and Brazil! Consequently, I don't remember the final

EpiGenetik

15 Jun 2018

....and next up.... I really should be doing RE development work....

but hey, it's Egypt vs Uruguay!!!

...and Salah isn't starting for Egypt, assumedly still suffering a bit from the injury he picked up in the European Cup Final.

Suarez is on from the start, looking to earn yet another sponsorship from Colgate! :D

Zac

15 Jun 2018

Portugal 3 - Spain 3

What a superb game! I loved that :)

So much quality and great football. Could be game of the tournament?

Noise
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2018

Amazing game, didn't watch that penalty in the beginning, I was stuck in traffic (portugal was driving home lol ), but the rest of the game was very good. CR saved this thing, as usual.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

stratatonic

16 Jun 2018

Zac wrote:
15 Jun 2018
Portugal 3 - Spain 3

wtf was Pepe doing lying on the ground weeping prior to Costa's goal? Stupid dumbass diving in his half. If he had just played on without that shit, he would have been right on Costa's ass and that goal wouldn't have happened. Serves him right and thanks to ref for not falling for that shit. And Ronaldo embellished to get the penalty kick earlier. Keep diving out of the game!
(other than that, it was pretty good... :))

Zac

16 Jun 2018

stratatonic wrote:
16 Jun 2018
Zac wrote:
15 Jun 2018
Portugal 3 - Spain 3

wtf was Pepe doing lying on the ground weeping prior to Costa's goal? Stupid dumbass diving in his half. If he had just played on without that shit, he would have been right on Costa's ass and that goal wouldn't have happened. Serves him right and thanks to ref for not falling for that shit. And Ronaldo embellished to get the penalty kick earlier. Keep diving out of the game!
(other than that, it was pretty good... :))
I really dislike all of the theatrics and other bs in the game but what Costa did after the defender gave up was class. Great goal.

Zac

17 Jun 2018

Go Mexico! Deserved it.

Electric-Metal

17 Jun 2018

This defeat of germany has a good thing. It can only get better now (I hope) :)
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

Zac

17 Jun 2018

I'm sure they can too. I thought Mexico had superb tactics to play so fast and aggressive 1st half. Germany were a bit shocked i think.

Mexico were tired 2nd half and only just hung on but Germany looked tired too and couldn't quite find the break through. Another good game as a neutral.

Electric-Metal

17 Jun 2018

Zac wrote:
17 Jun 2018
Another good game as a neutral.
Agreed, although I'm not neutral on this :). To me it seemed liked Germany didn't even realize what's going on until Mexico scored. They woke up afterwards, but in the end Mexicos tactics paid off pretty well.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

Zac

17 Jun 2018

Yes, Mondays game against Tunisia will be the most tense for me. Should be a win but look at what just happened to Brazil!

EpiGenetik

18 Jun 2018

......and a win for Sweden!!! :D :D :D

Well done guys, that's how your nation should celebrate the release of UMPF!, With a nice World Cup win :D

Anyway, I'm still in shock at how poor Germany were yesterday - on the balance of play they were still miles better than Mexico, but you have to take your chances. They made Mexico look a lot better than they really are.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Germany will beat Sweden and Korea, and Mexico will lose to both Sweden and Korea, with the end result being that Germany and Sweden both go through. See what happens :)

demt

18 Jun 2018

123 goal i said . lo n behold 1 1 became 2 1 to england
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Zac

18 Jun 2018

What a relief! The refereeing was awful IMO. Moving on...

EpiGenetik

19 Jun 2018

Zac wrote:
18 Jun 2018
Indeed, I'm a Scotsman who was angered by the treatment Kane was getting :D

However, Alli should have been taken off the park long before he was, and Lingard... well he's either not as good as the hype or he was very unlucky last night - kinda the same as my feelings for Werner of Germany. Panama will likely be a similar kind of game, they eventually crumbled against Belgium but they will be tough to get the goals against, but England probably will get them.

stratatonic

19 Jun 2018

EpiGenetik wrote:
19 Jun 2018
Zac wrote:
18 Jun 2018
VAR.jpeg
VAR.jpeg (148.65 KiB) Viewed 2472 times

Zac

19 Jun 2018

stratatonic wrote:
19 Jun 2018
EpiGenetik wrote:
19 Jun 2018

VAR.jpeg
Haha! It was all a bit WWE at times.

EpiGenetik

22 Jun 2018

.....and so we have the first big name casualty! Well, not really, but maybe, depending on results... sort of.

Anyway, Argentina are in a lot of trouble!

Frankly I have to say that I think they deserve to be after last nights performance. It was a bad tempered game, yes, but they were very much outdone by Croatia, and there is little point in blaming the goalkeeper as their defence in general was rotten. Good win for the Croats, but they will need to be careful with bookings now - the referee from last night shouldn't be given another match, he completely lost control of it.

chimp_spanner

22 Jun 2018

Yeah it was a really sad game! Messi looked stressed before they even kicked off. Not a good sign. So what would need to happen for them to stay in? Because I take it now it's largely down to other teams in the group right?

EpiGenetik

22 Jun 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
22 Jun 2018
Yeah it was a really sad game! Messi looked stressed before they even kicked off. Not a good sign. So what would need to happen for them to stay in? Because I take it now it's largely down to other teams in the group right?
Yeah. it's complex still as there are still 3 games left, but today's Iceland-Nigeria game will tell us more; the best result for Argentina is a win for Nigeria, a draw keeps things delicately balanced and unpredictable; if Iceland win then Argentina should book their plane tickets basically.

• Information