UMPF Club Drums RE

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Dante

14 Jun 2018

EnochLight wrote:
14 Jun 2018
OK gang - here's a folder full of the 100 presets, each inside a Combi with the corresponding Drum Sequencer patterns setup. The only knob I programmed was pattern change to the first knob, so be sure to turn that fully to audition all patterns included in each preset.

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2o57wxjcjdydh ... t.zip?dl=0

** Thanks to Reasonistas for posting the Combi skin!
Thanks EnochLight - I will try them out tonight.

Ejectzero

15 Jun 2018

I wish Props would've focussed on updating and modifying the core reason products. Instead of a new drum computer, update Redrum and Kong and release in R11 and also release in VST format. I haven't even gotten through all the drum and loop supply refills upon updating to R10 on release day.
I also wish we could see a Thor 2 /Subtractor 2 / Malstrom 2 with a more modern interface.
All those half rack units also need to improve. I hope I am not wrong in this, but they just sound cheap these days.

Sorry for the rant..

aeox
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2018

Noplan wrote:
14 Jun 2018
Is UMPF a Genre?
It's the sound of a hardstyle kick, or at least that is how I hear it in my head.

aeox
Competition Winner

15 Jun 2018

Ejectzero wrote:
15 Jun 2018
I wish Props would've focussed on updating and modifying the core reason products. Instead of a new drum computer, update Redrum and Kong and release in R11 and also release in VST format. I haven't even gotten through all the drum and loop supply refills upon updating to R10 on release day.
I also wish we could see a Thor 2 /Subtractor 2 / Malstrom 2 with a more modern interface.
All those half rack units also need to improve. I hope I am not wrong in this, but they just sound cheap these days.

Sorry for the rant..
Different people work on different aspects of development at the same time :)

scratchnsnifff

15 Jun 2018

So I read on a propellerhead blog post that if you purchase umpf then you get the drum sequencer for free with it. I assume this is meant for after the current drum sequencer promo from its initial release

This makes the 100 dollar asking price more sensable in my opinion.

I caved in and got it. And it’s very fun for altering percussion loops.
I do think it could use a transient shaper in each channels effects, as well as the ability to use at least two samples in one slot. But layering samples isn’t hard either
Overall I’m happy with having a more visual workflow when making percussion and drum loops :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

moalla

15 Jun 2018

A bitcrusher, uhhh and some basic effects for 99€ that's the biggest bargain Props ever made......

I think i own everything and also perfect bitcrusher for free anno 2013
so what's your dialog marketing for us reason users props!?

If there was a chance for a introduction for this Redrum Update, than you have missed it!
Maybe new good sounding samples but.....
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

EnochLight

15 Jun 2018

I encourage people to download the Combi I made and demo them while running the patterns. It really makes the presets stand out. The effects section really adds something special to the patterns:

viewtopic.php?p=398978#p398978
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

stratatonic

15 Jun 2018

tibah wrote:
13 Jun 2018
stratatonic wrote:
13 Jun 2018
The U needs an umlaut. Ü
Umft here in North America would be a short u like ..uh, wtf...trumpf
For Germans it still makes perfect sense. ;)
For you probably "Oomph" would be a better name.
OOMPH or UMPF. They both look dorky. The umlaut Ü would make it tolerable.
This reviewer is calling it umph like Trumpf

Kalm

15 Jun 2018

Haven't tried it yet, but this might definitely replace any instance of ReDrum for me, I don't see the reason to use ReDrum at this point. I def stopped using it when Kong came out cause the pattern sequencer didn't have enough for me (like velocity control, repeats, what DrumSeq does basically). It is kind of interesting to think about what this device does to separate it from KONG. The envelope shaping is an absolutely beauty for me. The tailored response & ease of parallel compression is a plus. You're not limited to 2 effects per track. Bit crushing built right in. This frees up a lot of rack extensions I use in my mixer channel to get my drums to sound like "Umpf".

They need to rethink the name though. Telling your artist, "so I'm bout to drag this UMPF in for the drums and this joint gon hit HARD." That sounds so awkward :lol: :lol:
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Kalm

15 Jun 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
15 Jun 2018
So I read on a propellerhead blog post that if you purchase umpf then you get the drum sequencer for free with it. I assume this is meant for after the current drum sequencer promo from its initial release

This makes the 100 dollar asking price more sensable in my opinion.

I caved in and got it. And it’s very fun for altering percussion loops.
I do think it could use a transient shaper in each channels effects, as well as the ability to use at least two samples in one slot. But layering samples isn’t hard either
Overall I’m happy with having a more visual workflow when making percussion and drum loops :)
That seems like an obvious addition. . .adding a transient shaper.
Or even allowing the drum sequencer to trigger to notes in one lane to emulate the KONG experience

Props, these are money making ideas here. . .
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Fraxis

15 Jun 2018

I know you can't do it in ReDrum either, but disappointed to discover you can't save individual drums, so if you like how a particular drum sounds in one of the preset kits and want to add it to your own custom kit, you're going to have to find the source sample, load it and then manually change up to nine voice settings plus the insert effects to match the sound in the preset. And if you want to move it to another of the eight slots you'll have to do all of that again from scratch.

fotizimo

15 Jun 2018

Yeah,

So I spent the last few hours working with Umpf and the matching sequencer kits, and I have to say that I like the sequences included with Umpf more than the Umpf kits and sounds themselves. I am actually pretty sad that the sequences included with the regular drum sequencer aren't all that great, while the ones included with Umpf are much more complete. I guess they decided to provide only a limited set with the drum sequencer itself.

I do not believe that Umpf is worth the $125 (CDN) introductory price, and won't be buying this. It just isn't good enough, and the included sounds/kits aren't that great. I would although, pay for the additional drum sequencer sequences. Maybe I will save the goods one to make a refill.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

superpop

15 Jun 2018

Fraxis wrote:
15 Jun 2018
I know you can't do it in ReDrum either, but disappointed to discover you can't save individual drums, so if you like how a particular drum sounds in one of the preset kits and want to add it to your own custom kit, you're going to have to find the source sample, load it and then manually change up to nine voice settings plus the insert effects to match the sound in the preset. And if you want to move it to another of the eight slots you'll have to do all of that again from scratch.
And if you save a combinator patch?

Ahornberg

16 Jun 2018

Fraxis wrote:
15 Jun 2018
Sad to say, that's really umpf :thumbs_down:
Being able to build drum kits out of existing presets is a must for every drum player/synth.
Kong excels here.

Data_Shrine

16 Jun 2018

My 1st thoughts are.. pretty high price for a sample player with some effects. And what's with that name ? PH marketing is going overboard... Anyway, seems like it sounds nice from the demos, but I don't need this.

Matt van K

16 Jun 2018

The Price is ,,okay´´ if not change....
The Kits reminds me on that Groups from all that Maschine Expansions. Good Choice and good Mix of Sound!
The Instrument itself has a little bit of Limelite Solo but with much less Modulationoptions.
If possible i would like to see in 2 or 3 years a well designed Fusion of Drumplayer and Umpf which works ,,like´´ Limelite.

Well doneProps!

Fraxis

16 Jun 2018

superpop wrote:
15 Jun 2018
Fraxis wrote:
15 Jun 2018
And if you save a combinator patch?
What does that achieve with the regard to saving and loading single drum sounds, consisting of the sample PLUS their associated parameters? Nothing in the current set-up allows that, short of having as many as eight separate Umpfs, each loaded with the kit that had probably one sound you wanted, plus up to eight drum sequencer to go with them, in the combinator. Which would be ludicrously unusable.

seqoi

16 Jun 2018

I tested it even more. I will stick to Redrum and Kong. Far more fun and ton of options in my mind comes when working with Redrum and Kong.

Umpf is completely different and tailored (my guess) for different thinkers. That's all. To each their own i guess because we are all different.

It is really funny to say that Umpf is NNXT killer. IMO.

riemac

16 Jun 2018

I‘m not at my computer at the moment. Can somebody please confirm that it isn‘t possible to adjust the curve of the envelope.

EnochLight

16 Jun 2018

Data_Shrine wrote:
16 Jun 2018
My 1st thoughts are.. pretty high price for a sample player with some effects.
It's not just a sample player, though - it's also a sampler. You also get the new Drum Sequencer Player included.
riemac wrote:
16 Jun 2018
I‘m not at my computer at the moment. Can somebody please confirm that it isn‘t possible to adjust the curve of the envelope.
Correct. Just the attack, hold, and release.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

danc

16 Jun 2018

UMPF is a little too late to the game for me. I've already moved my entire workflow over to Battery 4 and Kick 2 for building my own bespoke kits and percussive sounds. Plus I use Wave Alchemy Evolution and Revolution and Sample Magic Klip for times when I want little extras and variation.

UMPF isn't as capable as Battery - which has nearly every effect/mod/edit/layer capability you'd want - but UMPF does have one thing going for it... that little extra speed to do things, because it's sat in your rack and you don't need to open a window. Unless someone can point it out, it doesn't have a feature I can't achieve in Battery. Routing things out of UMPF is definitely quicker - but again... it can be done quite easily in Battery. Be clear... I could be talking about any VST drum tool - my point isn't specifically thinking that Battery is the only VST option - I'm just using it as an example.

The point being - since the VST gates were opened in Reason, REs need to have a much more compelling reason (sorry for the pun) to exist.

Talking about compelling... I'm loving the new Reason Players and these have really become integral to my workflow. I feel like Drum Sequencer could have a few extra bells and whistles up its sleeve - e.g. am I going mad - because I can't seem to find a simple way to mute/solo individual drums in Drum Sequencer. Weird omission.
Check my Soundcloud:

esselfortium

16 Jun 2018

danc wrote:
16 Jun 2018
Talking about compelling... I'm loving the new Reason Players and these have really become integral to my workflow. I feel like Drum Sequencer could have a few extra bells and whistles up its sleeve - e.g. am I going mad - because I can't seem to find a simple way to mute/solo individual drums in Drum Sequencer. Weird omission.
Try the S and M buttons ( :oops: ), in green next to the drum lanes' assigned notes.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

danc

16 Jun 2018

esselfortium wrote:
16 Jun 2018
danc wrote:
16 Jun 2018
Try the S and M buttons ( :oops: ), in green next to the drum lanes' assigned notes.
Yes - I want to automate them. How do you do that???
Check my Soundcloud:

AttenuationHz

16 Jun 2018

Just tried this out... So disappointed...

Can't see the solo and mute buttons until they are engaged. There is a pointless level control on each drum which is very hard to level individual drums with. Lfo/mod section is global which is pointless, 3x2 lfo's is no where near enough, the lfo rates are way too high. The worst of all is the envelope section on each drum near zero control and it just seems so half arsed and incomplete, "Key" not even sure why that is there doesn't seem to do anything. I'll be passing on this not worth €10 let alone €99.

The chop and effects section is nice but again its global. Why?

Looks good but the functionality is atrocious.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Reasonable man

16 Jun 2018

danc wrote:
16 Jun 2018
esselfortium wrote:
16 Jun 2018

Yes - I want to automate them. How do you do that???
Poobear did a tutorial. Put in a combinator. Right Click on Drum sequencer and create a track for it . On the top left of the sequencer (automation button) there are otions in the drop down menu for mute/solo etc. Or it can be programmed in the combi . The fustrating part is you can onlly mute one lane per combi button!
I think if you want to mute alot of drum lanes at once you have to solo a specific channel/s as that is the only workaround i can think of.

• Information