Opening Midi in Reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pushedbutton

14 Jun 2018

I still have Reason 9.5 installed but I'd rather have Reason 10 be the default program for opening midi files.
I've gone through the expected steps of using 'open with...' and browsing to Reason 10 in the program files and choosing to always do this but when i click on a midi file it still wants to open it with Reason 9.
Does anyone know where to sacrifice the goat so I can make Reason 10 the default midi program without uninstalling Reason 9.5?
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

jimmyklane

15 Jun 2018

Curious: why keep 9.5 when you have 10? Compatibility with collaborators?
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

pushedbutton

16 Jun 2018

pretty much
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

EnochLight

16 Jun 2018

pushedbutton wrote:
14 Jun 2018
I still have Reason 9.5 installed but I'd rather have Reason 10 be the default program for opening midi files.
I've gone through the expected steps of using 'open with...' and browsing to Reason 10 in the program files and choosing to always do this but when i click on a midi file it still wants to open it with Reason 9.
Does anyone know where to sacrifice the goat so I can make Reason 10 the default midi program without uninstalling Reason 9.5?
Weird. If you're on Windows, usually it should open the last version of Reason you gave your Windows UAC profile access to. So if you opened R10 last, double-clicking a MIDI file *should* open R10. That said, if you actually went into the MIDI file properties, and changed the "Opens with:" selection to any particular program, one would assume it would do that.

But...

I just changed my default program from Windows Media Player to R10, and it worked fine. Then I changed the default program from R10 to R9.5.... but it still opens in R10. Dafuq? So I tried changing the default to R8; it still opens in R10. * shrugs *

Something weird about MIDI files on Windows, I guess?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information