Reason 10.1 - ASIO Driver Stops Working

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
NekujaK

14 Jun 2018

I've been using 10.1 for about a month now (previously on 9.5). In the last few days I have twice encountered a message from Reason saying the ASIO driver has stopped working, and all audio stops playing.

Has anyone experienced this? Here are some additional details:

- Win 7, 32GB RAM, Xeon quadcore
- Focusrite Scarlett interface with Focusrite ASIO driver
- This system and audio configuration have been in use for 3+ years with no issues
- The only new significant software installed in the last year is Reason 10.1
- Lots of VSTs have been installed, the most recent being Europa and UVI Workstation
- The ASIO error occurs after Reason has been in use for a prolonged period of time (over 2 hours)
- The second time the error occurred, I opened a session, loaded up several NNXTs with orchestral samples, then went away from the computer for a couple of hours, while Reason sat dormant. When I returned to the computer, the ASIO driver error message was on the screen.
- After the error, I can select a different (inferior) audio driver in Preferences, and audio will play
- After the error, if I immediately quit Reason, other applications on my system play audio using the Focusrite ASIO driver without any problems.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

future-bit

14 Jun 2018

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

PhutureD

15 Jun 2018

Happens to me also, especially after coming out of hibernation/sleep mode . And I have found a major bug also that corresponds
to automation on either the magma filter of d-filter. I will try and replicate but what happens is, after readjusting the automation,
the track is silenced, even though the levels are visible but no sound can be heard. The only way to fix is to restart Reason.

Danandy

11 Mar 2019

Did you guys ever get this corrected?

I just started having the same issue. Focusrite Scarlett ASIO Driver on a PC with Reason 10.2.2d.

Any advise?

NekujaK

14 Mar 2019

The problem mysteriously cleared up and so far, has never happened again. Have no idea why it happened to begin with, and no idea why it stopped... sorry.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Jackjackdaw

01 Apr 2019

This has been happening to me constantly with Reason 10. I thought it might be windows power saving by switching off the usb ports but I disabled that and it's still happening. I dont have any problems with any other software so I suppose it must be Reason.

Oquasec

02 Apr 2019

The dsp meter doesn't act up with good drivers & a fresh copy of windows so far.
RME,Focusrite, Yamaha nothing bugs out :)
So most likely a faulty windows update, viruses or other stuff clogging up ya rig.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

03 Apr 2019

I've also got a Focusrite Scarlett, and indeed it does sometimes "stop working". No idea if it's the Scarlett ASIO or a Reason or a Windows cock-up, but it affected 9.5 as well as 10. It doesn't happen often here—fortunately, at least not annoyingly so, yet—but it does happen. Not enough I can identify an actual repeatable scenario anyway. I probably just sneezed or looked at it funny and it decided it was as good a time as any to stop working.

Usually just going into prefs, and simply selecting a different driver then reselecting the Focusrite ASIO seems to restart it.

Incidentally, someone recently told me about a neat video recording trick of installing the FLStudio demo, then using the FLASIO as that will pass audio to screen recording software, e.g., OBS, for low(er) latency sound recording. As dirty as it made me feel to even install Fruity Loops for their ASIO, surprisingly it works pretty well, but it can screw up output to other programs and on a couple of occasions I seem to have to run Windows audio troubleshooter to reset things to get audio out of Media Player or browser. :?

Jackjackdaw

10 Apr 2019

evolve187

12 Apr 2019

Yes i experience the same on 10.2 on my PC (line 6 USB interface) About 50% of the time when i boot up and load Reason i get that message. I used to reboot again to resolve it however i found that simply unplugging my interface reloads the driver and gets me up and running. More often than not i believe these kind of issues are driver related as I've gone to Youtube before starting Reason and the driver has already failed somehow.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

https://soundcloud.com/terry-wilson-music

Jackjackdaw

13 Apr 2019

For me it is two things happening. A. Driver issues that a plug / unplug will fix. This is usually if I have left the computer sitting idle for a while. B. I had a billion input devices set up in Reason and all ticked on at once. Once I unchecked them all Reason has been mich more stable.

influnza

27 Apr 2019

I'm having a similar issue, but worse. Unfortunately, I didn't notice, when it started happening. I'm using an old Line6 Toneport UX1 interface and Reason 10.3d78 (latest) fails to load the driver despite reattaching the USB or rebooting the PC. I even tried reinstalling the driver. Worked fine when I installed ASIO4All, but it's less flexible for me. The driver works in another program.
I'll appreciate if anyone can recommend a fix or better workaround. Thank you!
I'm super disappointed, because it started happening, when my band all gathered up to record and wasted a lot of time to make it work . :puf_unhappy:

reggie1979

27 Apr 2019

This happens to me almost every time I leave my computer unattended with Reason on. I'm on doze.But I never have to restart my computer, just Reason.

I've tried different USB ports, not working here.

ShawnG

28 Apr 2019

influnza wrote:
27 Apr 2019
I'm having a similar issue, but worse. Unfortunately, I didn't notice, when it started happening. I'm using an old Line6 Toneport UX1 interface and Reason 10.3d78 (latest) fails to load the driver despite reattaching the USB or rebooting the PC. I even tried reinstalling the driver. Worked fine when I installed ASIO4All, but it's less flexible for me. The driver works in another program.
I'll appreciate if anyone can recommend a fix or better workaround. Thank you!
I'm super disappointed, because it started happening, when my band all gathered up to record and wasted a lot of time to make it work . :puf_unhappy:
I don’t think I’ve ever had this happen with my focusrite interface (firewire, not usb). I do have a dodgy usb Midi controller that goes south on many occasions, requiring me to reboot.

But... you were recording a band with a toneport UX1? :shock: I gotta give you an A for effort on that one. I used to own one of those things, not the best interface in the universe. (but it was really only a dongle for POD Farm)

influnza

29 Apr 2019

ShawnG wrote:
28 Apr 2019
But... you were recording a band with a toneport UX1? :shock: I gotta give you an A for effort on that one. I used to own one of those things, not the best interface in the universe. (but it was really only a dongle for POD Farm)
Thanks, it's been working fine until now. I actually like UX1 a lot. The problem with ASIO4All is Reason can't share the device with other apps, so it's a deal-breaker. I was suggested to look at a new interface though. I'm concerned that this might happen to other ASIO devices too, I mean, look at this thread...
Is firewire generally more stable?

Boombastix
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2019

I have used FL ASIO driver for (approx 2 yrs), never an issue (Win 10). But in the week after upgrading to 10.3 it has twice just started to distort like a fast LFO distortion on all audio coming out of Reason. Restarting Reason works. Once after my PC was on overnight (no screen save and no hiber), and once it just "snapped" when I moved a knob, think it was on The Echo. I hope PH is at full force running more in-house debugging and stability testing. Stuff like this is hard to report and replicate for users.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

aamccoll

11 Oct 2020

Stopped working from me and it turns out it was my tv's sound bar which showed on the WDM device list. Clicked the power icon to off and bingo all good again, check what it is trying to connect too :)

• Information