New EP! (instrumental/analogue/soundtrack-y)

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
jayhosking

11 Jun 2018

Hey, RT team,

Just finished up a long EP in Reason. If you're into instrumental, occasionally ambient, occasionally brash, warm analogue, good-for-studying-or-reading music, please give it a shot.

My favourite part of all the music on ReasonTalk is when people break down how they accomplished particular sounds and ideas, and I'm happy to tear down any of the tracks if you're interested. The brief version: I used the Legend, Emotional Piano, Antidote, Europa, Grain, Red70, ES-01, Arturia's Analogue Lab / V Collection, a Moog Subsequent 37, and a Jazzmaster.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, thoughts/ideas for going forward with my music, and otherwise.

future-bit

11 Jun 2018

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

djadalaide

11 Jun 2018

They are all good tracks but for me "Cool heads prevail" really stood out for me.

jimmyklane

11 Jun 2018

Great album art! From a photographer that goes out of his way to create a new piece of artwork for every single song, the artwork on the album cover struck me as having a profound simplicity with a beautiful color palette! The first track starts off fantastic....will have a proper listen on the hour home tonight!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

jayhosking

12 Jun 2018

future-bit wrote:
11 Jun 2018
I liked the Spectra track. Good melody. Nice bass. Harmonious. Reminds of the cosmos.
Hey, thanks so much! The Legend is my go-to for synth bass, and much of that track is made with Grain.
djadalaide wrote:
11 Jun 2018
They are all good tracks but for me "Cool heads prevail" really stood out for me.
Thanks for letting me know! That one almost didn't make the cut, but then I added that drone sound (made on a whim with hardware) and the rest of the piece fell together. I think it's one of the stronger tracks, too.
jimmyklane wrote:
11 Jun 2018
Great album art! From a photographer that goes out of his way to create a new piece of artwork for every single song, the artwork on the album cover struck me as having a profound simplicity with a beautiful color palette! The first track starts off fantastic....will have a proper listen on the hour home tonight!
Hey, thanks for the kind words. I'm honestly pretty bad at pairing imagery with music, but this one came together surprisingly easily. Hope you enjoyed the rest of what you heard!

aeox
Competition Winner

12 Jun 2018

Great stuff man!

Jason, Pad, and Cool heads prevail were my personal favorites.

I really liked the sparseness in the tracks. It's such a listening pleasure.

Micha1973

12 Jun 2018

Superb! All sounds are on the right place in the compositions.

Please tell us how you make the mastering - Rackextensions or vst?
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

jimmyklane

12 Jun 2018

jayhosking wrote:
11 Jun 2018
Hey, RT team,

Just finished up a long EP in Reason. If you're into instrumental, occasionally ambient, occasionally brash, warm analogue, good-for-studying-or-reading music, please give it a shot.

My favourite part of all the music on ReasonTalk is when people break down how they accomplished particular sounds and ideas, and I'm happy to tear down any of the tracks if you're interested. The brief version: I used the Legend, Emotional Piano, Antidote, Europa, Grain, Red70, ES-01, Arturia's Analogue Lab / V Collection, a Moog Subsequent 37, and a Jazzmaster.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, thoughts/ideas for going forward with my music, and otherwise.

First let me say that this EP is superlative. There were NO moments where I was bored or waiting for the next section to come in. You also gave me some surprises with your percussion tracks. I listened to it 4 times, once in the car, once on headphones and then twice more on my studio monitors. You composed, produced, mixed, and mastered really well. I’ll buy this album.

Second, please check your PM, I have some more private questions for you and don’t want to clog the thread.

WELL DONE!!! Wasn’t expecting this level of production value.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

jayhosking

12 Jun 2018

aeox wrote:
12 Jun 2018
Great stuff man!

Jason, Pad, and Cool heads prevail were my personal favorites.

I really liked the sparseness in the tracks. It's such a listening pleasure.
Hey thanks! Because I began making music as a band guy, I always think of tracks as instruments/musicians, and thus the arrangements tend to be relatively simple for computer music (though not compared to, say, Loscil). I'm always surprised when I see others' sequencer pages and there are just little bits strewn across three or four times the number of tracks as my own.
Micha1973 wrote:
12 Jun 2018
Superb! All sounds are on the right place in the compositions.

Please tell us how you make the mastering - Rackextensions or vst?
Thanks so much. The "mastering" was a multiband compressor and a hard limiter. In this case, I used Waves' C4 and L1+, respectively. However, the Red Rock multiband compressor is a clone of C4 and worked well for me before VSTs were available, and there are a number of great hard limiters in the shop (e.g. Ozone and Kratos). The more important part is the multiband compression, for getting everything to sit better.
jimmyklane wrote:
12 Jun 2018

First let me say that this EP is superlative. There were NO moments where I was bored or waiting for the next section to come in. You also gave me some surprises with your percussion tracks. I listened to it 4 times, once in the car, once on headphones and then twice more on my studio monitors. You composed, produced, mixed, and mastered really well. I’ll buy this album.

Second, please check your PM, I have some more private questions for you and don’t want to clog the thread.

WELL DONE!!! Wasn’t expecting this level of production value.
Hey, this is really kind. Thanks. It was meant to be more of a meditative pace than previous projects (hence the 9-minute opener), so I'm glad to hear it didn't come off as boring. I'll check my inbox in a moment.

ionly

14 Jun 2018

Really enjoying listening to this man, great work!

jayhosking

14 Jun 2018

ionly wrote:
14 Jun 2018
Really enjoying listening to this man, great work!
Hey thanks so much! I really appreciate hearing it.

• Information