why does this site always lock interesting posts?

List your suggestions here for the reasontalk.com website (not Reason feature requests)!
Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Reason Studios software.
selig
RE Developer

01 Jun 2018

deepndark wrote:
01 Jun 2018
This forum is anyway based on stealing the idea from someone else, what a great foundation to create a community.
My memory doesn't lie, what so ever.

The moderation here isn't the bestest I've seen.
What idea was stolen from who?

And if you really feel that way, why are you here?

The moderators here are not "professional" moderators, we are Reason users like yourself who have volunteered to give up valuable free time to try to create a hospitable environment in which to discuss Reason etc.
I'm almost certain we are not the best moderators anyone has ever seen, but I AM certain we are all doing our best.
Selig Audio, LLC

CephaloPod

01 Jun 2018

The mods do a great job here. Anyone who has issue with them is probably a drama-queen/attention-seeker/shit-stirrer.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

deepndark

01 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
01 Jun 2018
deepndark wrote:
01 Jun 2018
This forum is anyway based on stealing the idea from someone else, what a great foundation to create a community.
My memory doesn't lie, what so ever.

The moderation here isn't the bestest I've seen.

The moderators here are not "professional" moderators, we are Reason users like yourself who have volunteered to give up valuable free time to try to create a hospitable environment in which to discuss Reason etc.
I'm almost certain we are not the best moderators anyone has ever seen, but I AM certain we are all doing our best.
I created reasonheads.net one month earlier than this forum and invited all of the reason users to join it. Then I was treated like shit and Lunesis and his friends provoked to not join it. Half of the ideas here are just like I had. Are you saying you don't know nothing about it again?

kitekrazy

01 Jun 2018

There is another forum I frequent that has a Drama Zone. It all started when a guy did a video walkthrough of a product with a famous name on it. It didn't meet the expectations he wanted. Eventually people took sides. Funny how we are over passionate about software. Eventually this guy got insulted by one of his idols, the famous Hollywood guy. People took exception to that. That thread had over 50 pages. The mod eventually closed it because it started getting redundant. If people wanted to take it further, he created the Drama Zone. These things keep forums busy, stable software doesn't.

kitekrazy

01 Jun 2018

CephaloPod wrote:
01 Jun 2018
The mods do a great job here. Anyone who has issue with them is probably a drama-queen/attention-seeker/shit-stirrer.
Those are the threads that get the most attention anywhere unless software isn't functioning like it should.

selig
RE Developer

01 Jun 2018

deepndark wrote:
01 Jun 2018
selig wrote:
01 Jun 2018

I created reasonheads.net one month earlier than this forum and invited all of the reason users to join it. Then I was treated like shit and Lunesis and his friends provoked to not join it. Half of the ideas here are just like I had. Are you saying you don't know nothing about it again?
Are you saying there was a conspiracy against your forum? I followed Lunesis here because we were working together on music at the time. We talked about the idea for months before it actually launched. Half the ideas here are just like every other forum on the planet!

All I'm saying is I was asked to help moderate a forum, and I said yes. IIRC there were other forums around besides this one (and yours). Not sure why you felt you had to abandon your forum (looks like the link is dead), IMO there's room for more than one Reason forum.

I can say with total honesty there was no conspiracy against anyone or any forum that I ever heard about. Don't blame Lunesis for the success of this forum - none of us had a clue what we were doing when we started, it's not like there was some sort of grand master plan to force other forums to close so that this one could thrive!

In my mind it was only when Kenni took over that this forum really came into it's own, and that was a long time after it was started.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

kitekrazy

01 Jun 2018

joeyluck wrote:
01 Jun 2018
Which threads are you even referring to?
My guess is the Sophtonic threads.

Ostermilk

01 Jun 2018

It doesn't.

Most of the threads I see locked are usually down to some dangerous virtual handbag swinging. i.e. not intersting.

Sometimes I don't agree with Moderator decisions, but someone has to make a call now and then and I'm really glad it ain't me.

jayhosking

01 Jun 2018

I am grateful for the job that the mods do here. This forum remains a great resource and place to visit thanks to their hard work. This forum remains a space mostly free of people whinging about their "rights" to be jerks, bigots, or otherwise. Thank you, mods. I don't envy you.

deepndark

01 Jun 2018

selig wrote:
01 Jun 2018
deepndark wrote:
01 Jun 2018

Are you saying there was a conspiracy against your forum? I followed Lunesis here because we were working together on music at the time. We talked about the idea for months before it actually launched. Half the ideas here are just like every other forum on the planet!

All I'm saying is I was asked to help moderate a forum, and I said yes. IIRC there were other forums around besides this one (and yours). Not sure why you felt you had to abandon your forum (looks like the link is dead), IMO there's room for more than one Reason forum.

I can say with total honesty there was no conspiracy against anyone or any forum that I ever heard about. Don't blame Lunesis for the success of this forum - none of us had a clue what we were doing when we started, it's not like there was some sort of grand master plan to force other forums to close so that this one could thrive!

In my mind it was only when Kenni took over that this forum really came into it's own, and that was a long time after it was started.
But you didn't ban this guy who insults the other people's music here: viewtopic.php?p=388405#p388405

selig
RE Developer

01 Jun 2018

deepndark wrote:
01 Jun 2018
selig wrote:
01 Jun 2018

But you didn't ban this guy who insults the other people's music here: viewtopic.php?p=388405#p388405
Who's music is he insulting, and why is it in a thread about EQ? There's no quote on his post, and I don't get the reference at all.
What's the reference? What forum rules are you saying he broke?
Selig Audio, LLC

nickb523
RE Developer

01 Jun 2018

sleep1979 wrote:
01 Jun 2018
as soon as something is intersting or has a bit of bite someone locks it? whats the point of a forum without freedom of speech ? fix up look sharp
I actually think it should be moderated harder (at times). It's supposed to be a reputable source of information and support for fellow Reason users, not a mud-slinging contest. :)

However i get that it is difficult. The community is filled with creative people and creative types are, by nature, particularly troublesome folks to keep in line. The fact that you used the phrase "has a bit of bite" tells me all i need to know of your intentions. This should be a place for helping other Reason users not fighting with them. ;)

Give these guys a call if you fancy a bit of rough and tumble -

Keep it fair and friendly,

Nick :)

sleep1979

01 Jun 2018

djadalaide wrote:
01 Jun 2018
Because popcorn is expensive these days. Moderators can't afford the amount of popcorn you would need for the most interesting threads on here to continue.
U just done a impression of someone from victorian london lol.

normen

01 Jun 2018

bxbrkrz wrote:
01 Jun 2018
That was copy pasted from Wiki.
The art of split second Jedi mind reading is best left to professionals like judges, cops and private forum owners. Until the European Article 13 becomes reality.
It sounds like you're mistaking the right to free speech with the right to insult my wife in my house. If the maintainers of this forum want to they can make us communicate only using the word "love" fwiw - question is if we'd hang out here then.

sleep1979

01 Jun 2018

Ok i'm sorry for starting this drama lol .

WillyOD

01 Jun 2018

This pro-Reason forum after all. I would have allowed some of the locked topics over the years, but I'm no moderator. I guess it's up to the individual moderator to decide when a topic should be locked, but I think they should allow some slack to the users and their "personal feelings on the matter" shouldn't affect them too much.

Even hard topics and discussions should be allowed and it can't all be super positive. Life just doesn't work that way. You can't hide all the bad stuff, sweep it under a rug or lock it away. Or I guess you can?

(In reality I'm here mostly for selig's posts since I respect him for sharing his knowledge and information among us mere mortals ;))
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

nickb523
RE Developer

01 Jun 2018

WillyOD wrote:
01 Jun 2018
This pro-Reason forum after all.
It has nothing to do with that Willy. Of course it's a Reason focused forum, but it's not like an advertising campaign. This is a place to discuss and seek support for Propellerhead's Reason software (and chat music, have some giggles among other things...). It isn't however a place to come for an internet fight.

There is nothing wrong with saying "Reason/RE/VST pisses me off for reasons X,Y and Z" - That type of conversation is welcomed and healthy. It's the needless fighting and personal attacks that should not be allowed under any circumstances.

That's my two pennies!

Nick :)

selig
RE Developer

01 Jun 2018

sleep1979 wrote:
01 Jun 2018
Ok i'm sorry for starting this drama lol .
No need for apologies - I feel it's important for the moderators to hear all points of view relating to how the forum is moderated.

That being said, I still feel most folks are here for the Reason knowledge, not the negativity for negativitie's sake.

I also don't think it is the job of moderators to white wash every subject and keep opposing views out of the forum. On the contrary, I feel being exposed to multiple points of view is ESSENTIAL to learning about complex and personal subjects that involve the creative process. There is no absolute right or wrong way to make music, and although I believe there are some tried and true techniques one should probably be aware of, for the most part it's also good to be aware of any alternative approaches. And it's also OK to point out the difference between the two!

But the posts and attitudes that add nothing to the conversation are simply cluttering the forum IMO. It's like designing a front panel and adding knobs that have no actual effect on the sound you hear - all they do is confuse the issue and take up valuable space that could otherwise be used for more constructive purposes.

Now, I've been as guilty as the next guy of inadvertently adding pointless comments to the conversation, and as such I realize we are not always aware when we are doing so (and thus need to be reminded as such). But then there are the folks who like to (as a friend once described) "stomp around in crap and try to find the deep spots", i.e. intentionally stir the pot to simply provoke a negative response. I feel that's an undesirable attitude in a functioning social forum, and folks perceived by the mods as doing so will at the least be warned, and at the most be banned (remembering that most bans are not permanent).

Finally, I am but one of many mods, and not the admin for this site - these are my personal views of forum moderation and may or may not reflect the views of the other mods or the admin.
Selig Audio, LLC

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2018

WillyOD wrote:
01 Jun 2018
Even hard topics and discussions should be allowed and it can't all be super positive. Life just doesn't work that way. You can't hide all the bad stuff, sweep it under a rug or lock it away. Or I guess you can?

(In reality I'm here mostly for selig's posts since I respect him for sharing his knowledge and information among us mere mortals ;))
It's not a matter of being super positive, just not needlessly destructive.

The big problem with debates about serious topics that people are invested in is that they quickly degrade into defensiveness and people attacking others.

It's difficult for many people to explore ideas and facts that contradict some of their beliefs. And some people can get nasty when they experience cognitive dissonance and start attacking people.

On top of that biases as well as further defense mechanisms can see people exhibiting a weird type of blindness where they are completely unable to comprehend what others are saying, and instead perceive it as an attack, or some other claim. People get really weird.
Last edited by avasopht on 01 Jun 2018, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

01 Jun 2018

kitekrazy wrote:
01 Jun 2018
joeyluck wrote:
01 Jun 2018
Which threads are you even referring to?
My guess is the Sophtonic threads.
Well in regards to that, there is thread open (and pinned) in which the first post is a statement from Propellerhead, the thread includes a link to the video in question, as well as all the info known by the public, outlined by Kenni.

The first thread was going nowhere fast and there was really nothing new anybody could contribute until we had some sort of statement. Another thread was created by another member about the developer directly and it quickly turned into what the first thread had become. The OP asked that it be closed.

But there is still the thread initiated by Propellerhead, with an official statement which is also pinned, that includes all relevant info, if anybody wants to weigh in or get caught up, that is the best place.

jimmyklane

01 Jun 2018

deepndark wrote:
01 Jun 2018
This forum doesn't allow you to be yourself, you need to serve some kind rule to not be your own plain self. I got banned for 10 days and the real firestarter didn't. All the discussion's related to reason and how it sounds are forbidden. I regret I didn't keep the ol' good reasonheads.net that allowed all this. I also still have bad grips how some people behaved back then, when they stole my idea of 3rd party reason forum too btw.
What? And to be clear: I AM NOT ATTACKING YOU...

Are you stating that we’re not allowed to discuss Reason and it’s sound/sound quality? I’ve seen a bunch of posts on exactly those topics! Now, if I’m misunderstanding the intent of your post here, I apologize.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

nickb523
RE Developer

01 Jun 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
01 Jun 2018

Are you stating that we’re not allowed to discuss Reason and it’s sound/sound quality? I’ve seen a bunch of posts on exactly those topics! Now, if I’m misunderstanding the intent of your post here, I apologize.
If you guys have personal issue, get a room in The Kitchen and talk it out... or even better take this crap to PM. ;)

tofu
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2018

the new affair questioned if the mods are here for blind promoting new stuff in the shop or are they able to personnal judgment , at least this time they been fooled and it hurted there own judgment/credibility to recognize quality/talent
it question the way they interview ppl as well because when you read it it was superficial interview , and whith ppl of quality that should turn okay ,
but reading it afterwards that is whether embarrassing or hilarious
at some point the guy who trolled could argue it was easy game , and the revelation came from some anonymous musketeer
i cant help laughing a bit about this story , also never bought any of this stuff and it was really bad design/artwork
at least this situation open a new era possibly for rt mods and rt users
because the truth is always something you can sense in some way even without knowing about it
do someone know who finally recorded these sounds and how because maybe it was recorded by some aliens and even ni stole it or something ,
it reveal the opacity of tons of samples on the internet nobody knows where they come from
sry i refrain myself until now to post about this subject so ...

jimmyklane

01 Jun 2018

nickb523 wrote:
01 Jun 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
01 Jun 2018

If you guys have personal issue, get a room in The Kitchen and talk it out... or even better take this crap to PM. ;)
Sigh....
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

• Information