Sound low after exporting

Reason 9.5 Bug/Issue forum
LordLarsa

Post 29 May 2018

Hello,

I got this problem since a long time but probably it's time to take care of it cause it's very annoying. When I export a song as .wav and open it then, the sound is very very low compared to the one in Reason. Does someone have an idea why and how to solve this problem?

Thanks for your answer

selig

Post 29 May 2018

LordLarsa wrote:Hello,

I got this problem since a long time but probably it's time to take care of it cause it's very annoying. When I export a song as .wav and open it then, the sound is very very low compared to the one in Reason. Does someone have an idea why and how to solve this problem?

Thanks for your answer
It’s not easy to know what’s going on in your system without more information.

But one thing should be noted, and that is that in the many similar cases to yours seen here and elsewhere, in not one case was the problem found to be in Reason.

It’s usually in the way the playback is being compared.

How are you comparing the exported file to playback in Reason?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

LordLarsa

Post 29 May 2018

I have no idea why, but it was also like this on my previous computer. On Reason, it sounds powerful, and the volume is good. When I export, it's weak and low, like I have to grab my hearphones to listen to it.

The exports 'export song "setting are those:
Sample rate: 44Hz
bit depth: 16

theshoemaker

Post 29 May 2018

LordLarsa wrote:
29 May 2018
I have no idea why, but it was also like this on my previous computer. On Reason, it sounds powerful, and the volume is good. When I export, it's weak and low, like I have to grab my hearphones to listen to it.

The exports setting are those:
You probably exported with dithering activated, having 16 bit. You only do that when you want to put it on a disc. Say you have your Gold Master after Mastering and want to press it on CD. When distributing it digitally use the 24bit option. Give it a try and compare.

EDIT: And be sure you don't use a player application which has some EQing internally preset. To be sure, just open the song in Reason, with a disabled master section
Last edited by theshoemaker on 29 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V10 on MacOS Sierra

selig

Post 29 May 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
LordLarsa wrote:
29 May 2018

The exports setting are those:
You probably exported with dithering activated, having 16 bit. You only do that when you want to put it on a disc. Say you have your Gold Master after Mastering and want to press it on CD. When distributing it digitally use the 24bit option. Give it a try and compare.
Dither would have no bearing on audio levels, and it’s fine to distribute at 16 bit (smaller files too).

Selig Audio, LLC

selig

Post 29 May 2018

LordLarsa wrote:I have no idea why, but it was also like this on my previous computer. On Reason, it sounds powerful, and the volume is good. When I export, it's weak and low, like I have to grab my hearphones to listen to it.

The exports 'export song "setting are those:
That’s how I export all the time. My question was about how you are LISTENING to the exported file - that’s most often the cause of differences heard in my experience.

Try importing the file back into a new Reason song file, and see what it sounds like (and what the levels look like on the big meter set to read Peak or VU + Peak).

Selig Audio, LLC

theshoemaker

Post 29 May 2018

selig wrote:
29 May 2018
theshoemaker wrote:
Dither would have no bearing on audio levels, and it’s fine to distribute at 16 bit (smaller files too).

I don't think she means low in regard to level, but in regard to the quality of sound when compared. From my experience, I just hear a difference when exporting in 16 bit dithered or 24bit.

selig

Post 29 May 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
selig wrote:
29 May 2018

I don't think she means low in regard to level, but in regard to the quality of sound when compared. From my experience, I just hear a difference when exporting in 16 bit dithered or 24bit.
There shouldn’t be any difference in quality, just in dynamic range (and you’ll only hear that if you can hear the stuff at -96 dB and below, which is unlikely I would think). Otherwise, everything in the top 16 bits sounds the same in both cases, which covers around 96 dB dynamic range (which is a LOT).

But to stay on topic, this thread is about “low” levels, not the quality of sound (not yet, at least),

Selig Audio, LLC

LordLarsa

Post 29 May 2018

So, I imported my .wav file to a new Reason file and the sound is perfect there, the volume is good, like in the record of the original before exporting.
What does that mean? I read the file with the standard Windows 10 player
Last edited by LordLarsa on 29 May 2018, edited 1 time in total.

selig

Post 29 May 2018

LordLarsa wrote:So, I imported my .wav file to a new Reason file and the sound is perfect there and the volume is good (like in the record of the original before exporting.)
It means what I expected, which is that whatever you’re using as a player is affecting the levels in some way.

I don’t know that player so maybe someone with more experience on Windows can reply?
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

theshoemaker

Post 29 May 2018

selig wrote:
29 May 2018
LordLarsa wrote:So, I imported my .wav file to a new Reason file and the sound is perfect there and the volume is good (like in the record of the original before exporting.)
It means what I expected, which is that whatever you’re using as a player is affecting the levels in some way.

I don’t know that player so maybe someone with more experience on Windows can reply?

I'm also out of the windows world a long time already, but I know the player has a graphical EQ, maybe it is activated. And on the other Hand, Windows 10 has a builtin Equalizer. Both things to check.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... e601c1dadc

EDIT: Check the Player and System Volume. Those are independent and should also be independent of Reason

LordLarsa

Post 29 May 2018

Thanks for your help, I thought it was setting in Reason or something in the mixing that I needed to do but in fact it's probably just the Windows 10 player that affects the levels. I will investigate more in that way then via the link you shared @theshoesmaker. I will try others Players too to compare maybe.

Data_Shrine

Post 31 May 2018

Maybe there's something like iTunes "sound check" in the prefs? iTune's sound check will lower the playback level of tracks that it deems mastered too loud (I think it's around -16rms, not sure)

codyfeiler89

Post 08 Jan 2019

Sooo. Super stupid fix hope this helps someone. Go to on windows Sound ( control panel ) right click the device your running the audio through sound card audio interface etc... click properties go to volume mine was at 48 percent put it up to 100 and export matched audio in reason

• Information