FL Studio 20 - looking good

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
WillyOD
Posts: 229
Joined: 20 Jan 2015
Location: Left of stardust

Post 27 May 2018

Just look at some of this stuff. Might seem very basic, but still missing from Reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuqqiuaLYJA

Hoping for Reason love. Actual sequencer and possible workflow improvements. Same thing I've been hoping for years and I'm slowly starting to lose hope...
I've never seen so many colours... http://www.diippii.com.

User avatar
WillyOD
Posts: 229
Joined: 20 Jan 2015
Location: Left of stardust

Post 27 May 2018

I'm serious. I don't want another EQ or Compressor. I do not want another Player from Props. I don't want any another Rack Extension.

This is their software and they are the only ones that can do core upgrades.
I've never seen so many colours... http://www.diippii.com.

EdGrip
Posts: 1548
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 27 May 2018

Credit where it's due - for my money that's probably the prettiest UI of any current DAW. Just the dayglo-yellow transport with the trailing shadow makes it so much more visible than a single-pixel black line. (It never ceases to frustrate me that if I've got the razor tool selected, I have to select another tool to be able to move the transport. If I move the mouse up to the transport playhead, it's because I want to move it, not because I want to razor something from a great height. Obviously. Argh.)

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1380
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 27 May 2018

in fairness to Props, people (at least on this and the old Props messageboard) had been clamoring for way more of the fancy stuff they’ve been giving us the past few versions than they’ve been asking for these basics. that said, I think at this point, the “Reason as an instrument” paradigm is pretty well fleshed-out, by now. really hoping they realize it, and do start to finally focus on these increasingly overdue DAW improvements.

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1370
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 27 May 2018

Fruity Loops has had more features for years now. But no one takes it seriously. They just tack on as much stuff into it as they can. It’s a huge hodgepodge of features. But it’s workflow is not as slick and coherent.

groggy1
Posts: 328
Joined: 10 Jun 2015

Post 27 May 2018

miscend wrote:
27 May 2018
Fruity Loops has had more features for years now. But no one takes it seriously. They just tack on as much stuff into it as they can. It’s a huge hodgepodge of features. But it’s workflow is not as slick and coherent.
I use FL about 10 years ago for a couple years - it's pretty fun. Very easy to get a beat going.

But yeah, I like the *flow* in Reason more. Every day has Midi FX, but think about crazy cool Players are in Reason! Being able to stack them, and each has beautiful UX - it's pretty nice.

And the VST flow is fantastic when it comes to automation and "CV-routing" - I compare it to Sonar (used to use that too), and it's night and day. With Sonar, getting automation recorded was a PITA, and I always forgot some detail step... It just works in Reason.

Anyway, I think there's a lot in Reason that's not done yet in the sequencer, but I still find the flow to meet 99% of my needs, and do it elegantly.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1380
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 27 May 2018

groggy1 wrote:
27 May 2018
miscend wrote:
27 May 2018
Fruity Loops has had more features for years now. But no one takes it seriously. They just tack on as much stuff into it as they can. It’s a huge hodgepodge of features. But it’s workflow is not as slick and coherent.
I use FL about 10 years ago for a couple years - it's pretty fun. Very easy to get a beat going.

But yeah, I like the *flow* in Reason more. Every day has Midi FX, but think about crazy cool Players are in Reason! Being able to stack them, and each has beautiful UX - it's pretty nice.

And the VST flow is fantastic when it comes to automation and "CV-routing" - I compare it to Sonar (used to use that too), and it's night and day. With Sonar, getting automation recorded was a PITA, and I always forgot some detail step... It just works in Reason.

Anyway, I think there's a lot in Reason that's not done yet in the sequencer, but I still find the flow to meet 99% of my needs, and do it elegantly.
yeah, I can’t imagine switching to something else any time soon. there’s just a level of creative freedom that you just don’t have in any other DAW. and once you’re used to its shortcomings and idiosyncrasies, it’s fluid as anything. when they do get around to adding some of the standard expected DAW stuff, though, there’s going to be so little reason to use anything else, I wouldn’t be surprised if they have to deal with a rapid influx of new users. won’t be a bad problem for them to have, as long as they can scale if they need to.

kitekrazy
Posts: 725
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 28 May 2018

miscend wrote:
27 May 2018
Fruity Loops has had more features for years now. But no one takes it seriously. They just tack on as much stuff into it as they can. It’s a huge hodgepodge of features. But it’s workflow is not as slick and coherent.
FL happens to be the most popular DAW out there. It doesn't bloat your OS drive with sample based rack extensions/factory refills. You can drag and drop a midi without it loading an ID8. It has one of the best piano rolls out there.

Your post makes a better description of Reason than FL except for the 1st sentence. Your last 2 sentences are far more accurate with Reason.

It must really suck when a user never has to pay for upgrades either. The developers also keep in touch with the end users and LISTENS to them. Reason is one of the few DAWs that doesn't have its own forum. If you like superior support stay away from FL Studio.

User avatar
Kilsane
Posts: 93
Joined: 15 Sep 2016
Location: Villeneuve saint Georges - France

Post 28 May 2018

Hello
just my feedback

I have both licenses (Reason and FL), but it is under Reason where I spend most of my time, FL Studio has interesting facilities that I would like to see in Reason, but I find more pleasant Reason, because that I prefer the rack view, because I find it more structured, a simpler organization, fewer menus and submenus.

For me Reason was much more affordable than any other DAW when I started the music.
 
All this is just a point of view and it will not be the same for another user


---------------------Texte original en Français---------------------

J'ai les deux licences (Reason et FL), mais c'est sous Reason ou je passe la grande majorité de mon temps, FL Studio a des facilité intéressante que j'aimerais voir dans Reason, mais je trouve plus agréable Reason , parce que je préfère la vue en rack , parce que je le trouve plus structuré, une organisation plus simple , moins de menus et sous-menus.

Pour moi Reason a été beaucoup plus facilement abordable que n’importe quel autre DAW quand j'ai commencer la musique.

Tout ça n'est qu'un point de vue et il en sera pas forcement de même pour un autre utilisateur

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 1934
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 28 May 2018

I got a good workflow going with FLStudio.

I wasn't a fan of how it managed samples and self-containing. To self-contain samples you have to export as a zip rather than a regular FLStudio project. Felt a little clumsy. It always came across to me like a lo-fi Ableton Live, despite its rich functionality.

Playing with samples in FLStudio was a joy because of its drag&drop integration with its devices. So you could make a recording with Edison, chop it up with FLSlicer, then just drag from FLSlicer into a lane, and boom! you can start using the sample, and even edit that further in Edison.
---

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2472
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 28 May 2018

Reason & FL Studio are convenient as hell for saving projects.
Encrypt that shit & you good to go
Producer/Sound Designer.

User avatar
Noplan
Posts: 649
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Cologne, Germany

Post 28 May 2018

FL Studio ist a toy.










Just kidding.

Adotron73
Posts: 1
Joined: 19 Aug 2019

Post 20 Aug 2019

I have started to use FLstudio with Akai Fire controller and like it. I'm having an issue though that when i try and bounce or export song as audio file there is no audio from FL studio. Other VST's are working fine. Also have to use sync from FL studio routed via Bome midi to control Reason as slave due to poor clock from reason. I have tried the other way round but still no audio. Not sure if anyone has had any experience with this. I dont think its an FL studio problem as audio streams fine during playback but does not appear in mixdown.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3057
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 20 Aug 2019

miscend wrote:
27 May 2018
Fruity Loops has had more features for years now. But no one takes it seriously. They just tack on as much stuff into it as they can. It’s a huge hodgepodge of features. But it’s workflow is not as slick and coherent.
I disagree. FL Studio is very slick and intuitive and has like 2 or 3 ways of doing some things so if one method of doing something doesn't suit you, one of the other 2 likely will. Like timestretching, you can timestretch in the sequencer and also in the sample editor too. You can have about 3 different clip styles, there's about 3 piano gui's in the piano roll and everything - mixer / devices are vectorial (scaleable) etc etc!

The piano roll is one of the most powerful of any daw too.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 10.4 / Cockus Reaper 5.982 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2472
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 20 Aug 2019

Tbh FL Studio and Reason were both late to the party on a lot of thing while PT & Cubase were on top of the game for many years.
[Coming from a guy who started on FLS 9 harmless edition & Reason 5]
Producer/Sound Designer.

reggie1979
Posts: 948
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 20 Aug 2019

FL is a great daw in many ways. But it's ridiculous for record with amp sims and using tracks. I know they've worked on it a lot but it's just SO much easier and more predictable in Reason.

Do wish we had some of them midi features though, and I agree it looks fantastic!

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest