Moog Grandmother

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
miscend

18 May 2018

I have no more interest in mono keyboards. There’s literally millions of them on the market. What we need are more analogue polys in the affordable price range.

selig
RE Developer

18 May 2018

miscend wrote:I have no more interest in mono keyboards. There’s literally millions of them on the market. What we need are more analogue polys in the affordable price range.
Same here, but the only “affordable” analogue poly is DeepMind. I also like Novation Peak, then up at the next price point there is Prophet and Nord series that look interesting.

Right now there is no one analogue poly that totally fills every need for me, so I’m waiting…

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

18 May 2018

miscend wrote:
18 May 2018
I have no more interest in mono keyboards. There’s literally millions of them on the market. What we need are more analogue polys in the affordable price range.
Or you can have a few mono synths, and use Distributor inside Reason with a few EMIs. That's perhaps a cool concept to consider.

sublunar

18 May 2018

selig wrote:
18 May 2018
miscend wrote:I have no more interest in mono keyboards. There’s literally millions of them on the market. What we need are more analogue polys in the affordable price range.
Same here, but the only “affordable” analogue poly is DeepMind. I also like Novation Peak, then up at the next price point there is Prophet and Nord series that look interesting.

Right now there is no one analogue poly that totally fills every need for me, so I’m waiting…

cough Minilogue cough

$499 USD, it's a fun little beast. I got mine about a year ago.

selig
RE Developer

18 May 2018

sublunar wrote:
selig wrote:
18 May 2018

cough Minilogue cough

Yea, guess I should have stated what “fills every need” means to me, which includes having more than 2 envelopes and 1 LFO per voice. ;)

Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

18 May 2018

selig wrote:
18 May 2018
sublunar wrote:
cough Minilogue cough

Yea, guess I should have stated what “fills every need” means to me, which includes having more than 2 envelopes and 1 LFO per voice. ;)

Ah, I understand. I'm not a big synth guy and I've bought and sold some but I'm a fan of the Minilogue for simplicity and analog goodness. When I want something more complicated than what I can get from the Minilogue I reach for my Nord 2x. I got the Nord by chance as I didn't know anything about synths at the time but it was a good deal and sounded interesting. Now that I've had it for several years, I love it. But, it's "virtual analog" so it doesn't count in this discussion.

selig
RE Developer

18 May 2018

sublunar wrote:
selig wrote:
18 May 2018

Ah, I understand. I'm not a big synth guy and I've bought and sold some but I'm a fan of the Minilogue for simplicity and analog goodness. When I want something more complicated than what I can get from the Minilogue I reach for my Nord 2x. I got the Nord by chance as I didn't know anything about synths at the time but it was a good deal and sounded interesting. Now that I've had it for several years, I love it. But, it's "virtual analog" so it doesn't count in this discussion.
Still, at $499 I can see the appeal!

As for Nord, sounds like analog to me, and I was raised on analog synths. I’m just not overly concerned about what the technology is called as long as I can make sounds that work for me. And part of that involves how in depth the sounds can be (which means how much modulation possibilities are provided) and how much physical control the instrument provides (for live performance).

Almost forgot the StudioLogic Sledge - I recently did a show at the Asheville Electro-Music Festival with a friend (Tony Gerber) using this synth and loved it. Only downside for me was lack of modulation possibilities. Otherwise I was able to jump right in and perform with an instrument I’d never seen before, which is a huge plus for me. Should have added this to the list of affordable poly synths…

Selig Audio, LLC

fieldframe
RE Developer

18 May 2018

Analog is nice and all, but what I really want is for someone to turn the sub-$500 market on its head with a really wild digital synth. Novation halfway did it with the Circuit, but focused on sequencing at the cost of synthesis control.

I want something as powerful as the Circuit’s Nova engine in a desktop box with 1:1 controls, plus the best-designed hardware mod matrix ever. The Circuit is $350 - I think my dream digital synth can come in under $500.

O1B

21 May 2018

Who doesn't want to

Good luck with that Dream... wake me when...
"1:1 controls, plus the best-designed hardware mod matrix ever....
in under $500
"...in a desktop box"

in the meanwhile, the Birth of Grandma...

fieldframe wrote:
18 May 2018
Analog is nice and all, but what I really want is for someone to turn the sub-$500 market on its head with a really wild digital synth. Novation halfway did it with the Circuit, but focused on sequencing at the cost of synthesis control.

I want something as powerful as the Circuit’s Nova engine in a desktop box with 1:1 controls, plus the best-designed hardware mod matrix ever. The Circuit is $350 - I think my dream digital synth can come in under $500.

Faastwalker

24 May 2018

O1B

30 May 2018

I can't find an image that focuses on the modules/panel.

From what I can tell, that HUGE Green section is a LPF?
HPF in the UTES section to the left? with an Attenuator (+/- Verter)?
Digging the Sustain on a FADER - but, the in/outs seen paltry.
No Loop knob - unless you use up one of what looks like 2 OUTS in the Sky Blue Mod Section.
I also like that there's HOLD and TAP... but where is the TAP OUT... just internal connections?
Sorry... its the Top port in the Yellow Arp/Seq Section.
Any Reason the PLAY button is Green like the Filter Section? Blue and Yellow makes sense.

Interesting Pitch/Mod Wheels.

they look like 8 or 16HP modules to me ... (its 23 inches wide)... so...
- 8HP Simple ARP
-16HP LFO ... 1.
-16HP Dual OSC. w/ONLY one wave out at a time (see Dixie ii/ii+)
-8HP 3 Channel Mixer with Aux in, and no - but no CV into the VCAs
-8HP Utility - what looks like a HPF and an attenuverter
-16HP LPF ... some CV... only LP out.
-16HP single ADSR ...see QUADRA
-8HP3U Simple AMP with CV... is - and a 1U DRY/WET one knob Spring Reverb (*******)
- 2 Octaves of Keys and misc control.

something like that.

$899 aint bad for all of that - but, it reads like a starter kit.

O1B

30 May 2018

using 2HP modules - by twoHP
3:1 Mixer
ADSR
ARP
Attenuverter
Divider
LFO
Filter - vs LFO - 3 OUTS
VCA
Noise Sequencer
Tune
SeQuencer
2 VCOs, and a
VERB
and a Keystep, skiff, etc.

~$1500 .... $899 aint bad if you have the space for Grandma. (the above setup is about 30HP.)

jimmyklane

30 May 2018

aeox wrote:
14 May 2018
They are really missing the mark on the price of these things.. The name itself isn't worth that much IMO.
IMO, the name is only part of the equation. Every Moog synth that I’ve ever laid hands on SOUNDS like a Moog. The newer Sub Phatty, Sub37, etc have some new circuitry that dilutes that specific sound in order to cater to a larger market, but even those really do have an unmistakeable sound that I’ve never heard elsewhere. It’s not the filter (alone) it’s the raw oscillators and how they drive into the filter. The last synth that Bob Moog himself worked on, the Little Phatty/Slim Phatty, sound pretty much identical to the vintage Moog sound and the only thing people dislike is the editing system being a parameter access and menu dive type system.

So, they have a corner on that part of the synth market as far as I can tell.

Grandmother is an interesting idea, but probably not something that I’ll buy into. It has some neat features but nothing that I want so bad as to purchase more Moog. I’ve got that sound covered I think.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

O1B

30 May 2018

At $899 - value to capabilities, semi-mod, familiar interface, patching, ARPing... etc.

But, DFAM upstages it. ..... that Sequencer

... never touches the Keyboard....

jimmyklane wrote:
30 May 2018

Grandmother is an interesting idea, but probably not something that I’ll buy into. It has some neat features but nothing that I want so bad as to purchase more Moog. I’ve got that sound covered I think.

joeyluck

14 Aug 2018

Just stumbled upon this...well YouTube suggested it to me.

One of the better demos I've seen of this synth. More musical and less bloop-bleepy :)

Using the internal sequencer

• Information