What headphones to get

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
moneykube

17 May 2018

too pa systems for schools... you will hear it
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

normen

17 May 2018

moneykube wrote:
17 May 2018
As soon as we all have Magic Leap contact lenses and speakers tagged to our ear drums it all won't matter anyway.. Some people will run around with "dat treble boost" all the time, for some you will probably sound like an anime o_O

RobC

18 May 2018

avasopht wrote:
17 May 2018
@RobC: this looks right up your street ... https://www.nuraphone.com/
The idea is good, but the thing about headphones is that I only want to hear, not feel in that case ~ but as if! look at the price tag! 400 - 1 EUR F:SD

If I would hear a flat response (one way or another), that would be great, though!

What I feared, was that if I put on a pair of regular headphones, that has 100 dB boost in the highs (just an extreme example), by the time my ears adapt, I get deaf. - My current Shure headphones have sub bass turned down strongly (treble boosted), and I could never hear it properly without equalization.

theshoemaker

18 May 2018

Thanks for the thread. Made me aware of the Superlux HD 681 Evo. This is something I can afford right now, while not having a proper Studio Setup. ATM I'm using some random old Gaming Headset from Sennheiser. Will definitely give them a try.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

RobC

19 May 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
18 May 2018
Thanks for the thread. Made me aware of the Superlux HD 681 Evo. This is something I can afford right now, while not having a proper Studio Setup. ATM I'm using some random old Gaming Headset from Sennheiser. Will definitely give them a try.
In it's category, it definitely is a bang for the buck!

theshoemaker

20 May 2018

RobC wrote:
19 May 2018
theshoemaker wrote:
18 May 2018

Agreed. Got them the other day. I‘d say, there is nothing comparable at this price tag up to 100€. Been listening to some at the Thomann headquarters before. Highly recommended. They are not as detailed in the mid range as other high end headsets but still very, very Useable. Would have never been expecting this kind of quality from a 30€ headset

RobC

21 May 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
20 May 2018
RobC wrote:
19 May 2018

Agreed. Got them the other day. I‘d say, there is nothing comparable at this price tag up to 100€. Been listening to some at the Thomann headquarters before. Highly recommended. They are not as detailed in the mid range as other high end headsets but still very, very Useable. Would have never been expecting this kind of quality from a 30€ headset
No need to worry much about that - you can always equalize a bit, or as Professor Normen Hansen said, our brain adapts fairly quickly to the sound and flattens it out.

theshoemaker

21 May 2018

RobC wrote:
21 May 2018
theshoemaker wrote:
20 May 2018

No need to worry much about that - you can always equalize a bit, or as Professor Normen Hansen said, our brain adapts fairly quickly to the sound and flattens it out.
Yes. Totally agreed. I've been mixin very comforable on the Senheiser Gaming Headset or my Car. The Setup from VW is quite detailed. Been very suprised about that too, the first time I've been listening to a mix in my Car.

There is really nothing wrong with the Superlux.

RobC

21 May 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
21 May 2018
RobC wrote:
21 May 2018

Yes. Totally agreed. I've been mixin very comforable on the Senheiser Gaming Headset or my Car. The Setup from VW is quite detailed. Been very suprised about that too, the first time I've been listening to a mix in my Car.

There is really nothing wrong with the Superlux.
I must say, I really like car acoustics, on a side note. It just has that perfect balance of noise canceling, and a hint of decently coloring sound reflections.

brand

25 May 2018

Headphone mod:
I have the ATH-M50x. I guess some will be critical of these. Anyway, they work for me.
But a couple of enhancements I did:
1. Replacement earpads: Brainwavz angled memory foam. (I use them elevated side to front).
2. Geekria Headphone Headband (large). Like a knitted snap-on cover for the band. (If you're bald, well, nuff said).
Amazon. I found these to be well worthwhile upgrades.

RobC

03 Jun 2018

So, I found an affordable, but sadly out of production In-Ear pair by Sennheiser, which was used with their live systems for the stage for about $ 100 or so:

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/earbuds-he ... ction-ie-4

And the "cheapest" $ 250 - 0.05 available, which seems to be for more professional use:

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/noise-canc ... ereo-ie-60

An ideal/optimal one seems to be the IE 80 for $ 360 -0.05

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/earbuds-hi ... tion-ie-80

The rest is more about being robust, and esoteric category differences - with maybe better THD, so that's good if you have ~ $ 800 in your pocket.

Does anyone know anything about any of these? Recommend, do not recommend? Better suggestion for the price ranges?

RobC

03 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
17 May 2018
moneykube wrote:
17 May 2018
As soon as we all have Magic Leap contact lenses and speakers tagged to our ear drums it all won't matter anyway.. Some people will run around with "dat treble boost" all the time, for some you will probably sound like an anime o_O
So, all in all, what do you guys say about those Nuraphones? Not really for professional use?
(P.S. I probably won't EQ - tops for joy listening.)

moalla

03 Jun 2018

I must say for musicmaking the ATH M50x is the best choice, cause its not as critical analytical with harsh heights than beyerdynamic headphones or comparables, and gives more information about the body of the sound than headphones from yamaha and sony. I would say its perfect for long music and mix sessions, but for the 100% mix of the sound levels of different tracks, there are better headphones on the market. Maybe also a cheap headphone like superlux is a good supplement for mixing, which are not much inexact than DT770 (was my subjektive impression).
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

normen

03 Jun 2018

RobC wrote:
03 Jun 2018
normen wrote:
17 May 2018

So, all in all, what do you guys say about those Nuraphones? Not really for professional use?
Well we all like to say there is no right or wrong in audio. But the whole industry is working with and for flat systems. Because it makes most sense to get consistent results. Still you are free to do what you want. If you make money it‘s professional. But if on the other hand you create music for a professional record label then the mastering engineer might wonder why he has to take out that funny mid-high dip you do every time and you might wonder why you don‘t like the mastered mixes on your nuraphones anymore :)

RobC

03 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
03 Jun 2018
RobC wrote:
03 Jun 2018

Well we all like to say there is no right or wrong in audio. But the whole industry is working with and for flat systems. Because it makes most sense to get consistent results. Still you are free to do what you want. If you make money it‘s professional. But if on the other hand you create music for a professional record label then the mastering engineer might wonder why he has to take out that funny mid-high dip you do every time and you might wonder why you don‘t like the mastered mixes on your nuraphones anymore :)
Is that because, the way the outer ear changes the incoming sound we hear, is getting completely bypassed with in-ear devices?

RobC

03 Jun 2018

moalla wrote:
03 Jun 2018
I must say for musicmaking the ATH M50x is the best choice, cause its not as critical analytical with harsh heights than beyerdynamic headphones or comparables, and gives more information about the body of the sound than headphones from yamaha and sony. I would say its perfect for long music and mix sessions, but for the 100% mix of the sound levels of different tracks, there are better headphones on the market. Maybe also a cheap headphone like superlux is a good supplement for mixing, which are not much inexact than DT770 (was my subjektive impression).
The thing is, the more I get into the topic, the less I know what I need. xD
Thus I welcome (so do others as I saw earlier!) the sharing of experiences with headphones! :thumbs_up:

normen

03 Jun 2018

RobC wrote:
03 Jun 2018
Is that because, the way the outer ear changes the incoming sound we hear, is getting completely bypassed with in-ear devices?
No. If the both headphone adapts and you adapt (i.e. mix) then somethings bound to go wrong, right? Thats why professionals don't use headphones that change anything - and they don't just use headphones..

Marco Raaphorst

03 Jun 2018

Listening is not only an ear thing. It's also a brain thing.

With the right references and you know how your tools work, you can use anything to create brilliant stuff. Because it is all about imagination and feeling.

normen

03 Jun 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
03 Jun 2018
This x1000, an experienced engineer hard of hearing only up to 8kHz will create a better mix than a 16-year old beginner with perfect 20kHz ears any day.

RobC

03 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
03 Jun 2018
RobC wrote:
03 Jun 2018
No. If the both headphone adapts and you adapt (i.e. mix) then somethings bound to go wrong, right? Thats why professionals don't use headphones that change anything - and they don't just use headphones..
Oh ~ personally, I didn't understand what exactly these specific headphones do, so I got confused.

So, so far I thought, a good quality In-Ear pair, and Speaker would be an ideal combo to use where needed. What is the ideal solution for the finer details when it comes to a studio environment, if not In-Ears?

RobC

03 Jun 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
03 Jun 2018

With the right references and you know how your tools work, you can use anything to create brilliant stuff. Because it is all about imagination and feeling.
Alright, guys, I can clone the sound of others, but I would like to create my own.

Marco Raaphorst

03 Jun 2018

RobC wrote:
03 Jun 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
03 Jun 2018

Alright, guys, I can clone the sound of others, but I would like to create my own.
you need imagination and knowing your stuff. that's all.

some of the brilliant sounding steely dan stuff was mixed on auratones.

normen

03 Jun 2018

RobC wrote:
03 Jun 2018
Oh ~ personally, I didn't understand what exactly these specific headphones do, so I got confused.

So, so far I thought, a good quality In-Ear pair, and Speaker would be an ideal combo to use where needed. What is the ideal solution for the finer details when it comes to a studio environment, if not In-Ears?
Yeah, closed ones or in-ears. But you can't paint a picture using just a loupe either :)

RobC

03 Jun 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
03 Jun 2018
RobC wrote:
03 Jun 2018

you need imagination and knowing your stuff. that's all.

some of the brilliant sounding steely dan stuff was mixed on auratones.
Well, the more natural approach that you described was how I worked originally, but then things went outside-outside the box, and even outside that, eventually. Thank you for inputs. More relaxed now.

RobC

03 Jun 2018

normen wrote:
03 Jun 2018
RobC wrote:
03 Jun 2018

Yeah, closed ones or in-ears. But you can't paint a picture using just a loupe either :)
Thank you for all the help!

The rest is a matter of money, hehe.

Btw, do you know anything about those IE 4 by Sennheiser? Apparently they were part of $ 1000 systems. "Then it must be good!" xD
At the moment it fits the 100 EUR price range but if they are bad, I rather save more money to get something acceptable.
Mostly for making synth sounds / wave tables ~ that kind of category.

Link again: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/earbuds-he ... ction-ie-4

• Information