Using Stock Vocals in Songs

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
StrokerX

09 May 2018

Hey so I've only played around here n there with free vocal samples or ones bought through packs etc etc. Do people ever actually use these in production straightforward without like using it as a chop or fx. Like, if there's some sample with some chick saying "Oh yeah do it right" ... could someone come along and make the Oh Yeah Do It Right Song? Even tho literally/probably/maybe lots of other producers/hobbyists would hear that and be like "lol"... but could it be a hit?

Are there famous tracks out by well known producers that have heavily used stock vocals that are commonly found in everyone's soundbanks?

bless.

ravisoni

09 May 2018

Not sure of other songs but wayyyyyyyyyy back when I used to use Garage Band at my college to play with music (because that's what school's for), there were vocal samples of a guy saying "amazing" and "attention" (and someone later told me they were part of the default Logic library).

Then my favorite composer, Michael Cretu (Enigma), dropped this song and my reaction was exactly as you mentioned... "lolwut"

Here's the song:
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

StrokerX

10 May 2018

ravisoni wrote:
09 May 2018
Then my favorite composer, Michael Cretu (Enigma), dropped this song and my reaction was exactly as you mentioned... "lolwut"

Here's the song:
HA. Seems so out of place too. "Attention".

jam-s

29 Aug 2021

Sorry for thread necro, but this track is basically just a collection of random vocal samples and got pretty popular. So well, you can get away with it for sure if you put some effort on the production and arrangement. ;)

"The vocals of it consist of soundbites taken from the Fab Acapella library of a sample pack called Techno Trance Essentials."
-- https://genius.com/Noma-jpn-brain-power-lyrics

Tiny Montgomery

30 Aug 2021

There's a style of vocal chopping that's so fast and tightly edited that the source material is virtually unrecognisable anyway, I'm thinking artists like Mr Bill.

jam-s

30 Aug 2021

Yes, the chorus is heavily chopped, but the verses use the samples pretty unaltered. I think with the right marketing even a song construction kit might become a popular song. (In the pop music and parts of the EDM scene ghost producing is not unheard of and tracks that don't get released right away then end up as construction kits.)

Jagwah

30 Aug 2021

StrokerX wrote:
09 May 2018
Hey so I've only played around here n there with free vocal samples or ones bought through packs etc etc. Do people ever actually use these in production straightforward without like using it as a chop or fx. Like, if there's some sample with some chick saying "Oh yeah do it right" ... could someone come along and make the Oh Yeah Do It Right Song? Even tho literally/probably/maybe lots of other producers/hobbyists would hear that and be like "lol"... but could it be a hit?

Are there famous tracks out by well known producers that have heavily used stock vocals that are commonly found in everyone's soundbanks?

bless.
To take a vocal and make music around it is no easy feat. It's no different than someone giving you a line of piano melody and trying to write a song around it. You would need a decent amount of musical theory knowledge to make it work properly. I assume this is why people chop them up so much and use smaller segments. Just my opinion though, no need to stop playing around with them, it's all good experience.

QVprod

30 Aug 2021

As long as these are royalty free samples. Have at it.

Tiny Montgomery

30 Aug 2021

Jagwah wrote:
30 Aug 2021
StrokerX wrote:
09 May 2018

bless.
To take a vocal and make music around it is no easy feat. It's no different than someone giving you a line of piano melody and trying to write a song around it. You would need a decent amount of musical theory knowledge to make it work properly. I assume this is why people chop them up so much and use smaller segments. Just my opinion though, no need to stop playing around with them, it's all good experience.
Not really, you just transpose the slices individually until they sound ok with the the other elements (if you have the beat and some other elements going first). One way is to load up the slices into a drum machine, quickly pitch and then finger drum, or put Beatmap or a sequencer on it etc...Ableton 11 even comes with a Pack that has vocal chop drum racks, you tune them to the track. Complete phrases from sample packs with no transpose, chopping, reversing, or processing are always going to sound cheesy whatever your musical knowledge is.

Tiny Montgomery

30 Aug 2021

Oh sorry I think you're making the same point, yes that's exactly why you use smaller segments, and it sounds better.

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

30 Aug 2021

It’s not quite “real” released music but I wrote a whole greatest hits of the 90s album in a day while I was making the video for Layers Wave Edition. I had about 90 minutes per song to produce something that sounded like it could’ve been a charting song. For these I used splice vocals to give them the feeling of real artists.

• Information