What’s In Your Racks?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
iamshad

29 Apr 2018

Hey All,

I’m trying to increase my VST/Rack library and I need your help. What FREE VST’s or FREE Reason Racks are you using?

Please share the name a link below where I can get them. All official extensions only please :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libraquaricorn

29 Apr 2018

Little LFO is a must. I bought it before it was free, but I'm sort of happy I did because the developers really deserved the humble amount of money they asked for this nice, versatile and easy to use product anyway:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ittle-lfo/

iamshad

29 Apr 2018

Libraquaricorn wrote:Little LFO is a must. I bought it before it was free, but I'm sort of happy I did because the developers really deserved the humble amount of money they asked for this nice, versatile and easy to use product anyway:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ittle-lfo/
I agree. I copped me the free version when they released it myself! Cheers

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2018

Saturation Knob is nice.

iamshad

29 Apr 2018

TritoneAddiction wrote:Saturation Knob is nice.
Got that one too! ;)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2018

kHs Limiter

kHs Chorus

kHs Stereo

Efektor Silencer Noise Gate

Pipeline Pressure Control

TMA Commentator REs

Libraquaricorn

29 Apr 2018

Btw, there is a topic called "list of free rack extensions" pinned to the top of the rack extensions forum. Very useful list....

Noplan
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2018

Libraquaricorn wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Btw, there is a topic called "list of free rack extensions" pinned to the top of the rack extensions forum. Very useful list....
Or this: https://shop.reasonistas.com/blogs/reas ... on-checker

RobC

29 Apr 2018

This is a very useful little device, and there's a RE version of it, too with some extras:

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=849

Then there are some neat Reaper plugins:

https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

And some pretty nice looking free plugins here, which I'll go through soon, too:

https://www.meldaproduction.com/product ... yword=free

CVA-7 CV Analyzer - RE Great for both checking the CV signal visually, or if you convert audio to CV in Thor, then you can see your audio waveform in it, too.

Morfin XF Crossfader - RE ~ simply fantastic crossfader

CV8X4 CV Generator - RE ~ a very much needed, and useful tool.

To name but a few.
Being the bum I am, I usually scroll down REs and search in the browser for "Free". xD

Almost bought Yoko Band Splitter once. Maybe some other time.

abeonis

30 Apr 2018

All the free REs I use are already mentioned. A special mention for the CVA-7 CV Analyzer I use all the time. Regarding free VST, I frequently use:
o Voxengo Span - Real-time audio spectrum analyzer
o J-Scope VST Oscilloscope
Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 9.5 | Live 10 Suite + Push2 | Intel i7 8700K | 16 GB RAM | Scarlett 6x6 | Arturia MiniLab MK II | 2x Novation LaunchControl XL

mataya

30 Apr 2018

Since those RE's are free, easy to manage, install, reinstall and keep track, I suggest you download all of them and try them out.
KHS are my go to freebies in RE format.
TDR and BlueCat have some very useful free VST's
And I jsut learned that you can download Native Instruments Reaktor player FREE version and get a lot of very useful synths. Same goes for Guitar Rig free player and Kontakt also.

Check it out.
M

iamshad

30 Apr 2018

mataya wrote:Since those RE's are free, easy to manage, install, reinstall and keep track, I suggest you download all of them and try them out.
KHS are my go to freebies in RE format.
TDR and BlueCat have some very useful free VST's
And I jsut learned that you can download Native Instruments Reaktor player FREE version and get a lot of very useful synths. Same goes for Guitar Rig free player and Kontakt also.

Check it out.
M
Bet. I have the KHS rack already. I’m going to check out the others you’ve mentioned below. Cheers!

Oquasec

30 Apr 2018

bout 54 free re and 56+ gotten on sale and junk.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

iamshad

30 Apr 2018

Oquasec wrote:bout 54 free re and 56+ gotten on sale and junk.
Huh?

Oquasec

30 Apr 2018

There's like 54+ free rack extensions that exist.
Reason 6+ has access to 54 free rack extensions.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

iamshad

01 May 2018

Oquasec wrote:There's like 54+ free rack extensions that exist.
Reason 6+ has access to 54 free rack extensions.
Oh really? Well I need them all in that case. I’ll check the Shop section to see what all I can grab. Did you get them all?

Micha1973

01 May 2018

For Free VST this:

Synth1 - the only warmth and Nordlead liked Synth
Music Is My Life
&
Reason 12 sounds better :essentials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsW3Wr ... gA05XklBng

Geltic Höhn

01 May 2018

iamshad wrote:
01 May 2018
Oh really? Well I need them all in that case. I’ll check the Shop section to see what all I can grab.
Do you need them all though ? I would suggest you think about that machine-gun approach, because you'll end up with a whole lot of stuff cluttering your menus that will never be used, and even if you delete them, each time you do a re-sync they'll all be right back in your computer. Personally I only download free things if I think there is a genuine requirement, and even then I will test them out. The attraction of 'free stuff' is great, but most of them are utilities rather than instruments, so unless you're going to be a CV jockey, then maybe hold out on a lot of them until you identofy a genuine requirement, or at least have some time to dedicate into learning. I'm almost certain that I've trialled freebies too, so that's a chance to avoid bloat if you don;t see any genuine need for something.

And in my opinion, some of the free RE's in the store are just plain stupid.

What you might want to do though, is look into some free ReFill that have came out over the years. 'Thor's Hammer' is one of them, it will expand your sonic opportunities by 1000x without needing to buy other synths. I'm pretty sure there are a 1000 Malstrom, and a 1000 Subtractor patch Refill collection out there too. Again with free ReFills though, I tend to avoid the little ones, and go for the massive packs.

And if you want to get really weird, a developer of RE has released these randomized patch collections, which I think run into many 1000's of sounds for a lot of popular stock Reason devices. I think it was Robotic Bean or Lectric Panda, but someone else here might chime in with more precise details. These are a bit hit & miss, as I don't think there was any human development gone into them ! BUt because they are ReFills they don't clutter up your DAW, as they live on your hard drive only.

You know what the most used, and one of the most highly prized free RE's are in my projects ? It's this very simple spacer!
https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... ank-plate/

And this is one example of why you don't need EVERY free RE. There are about 5 different spacer plates in the store. You only need one, because they don't do anything but create space !

I guess you are new to Reason ? Keep an eye out on the store, sometimes there are incredible specials. Like right now there's the Hydronexus that's $20, reduced from $100. Recently KiloHearts 'One' Synth sold for some crazy price like $9. I would say there's more value in cheap synths, because, well, they make sounds, rather than a whole heap of utilities that are designed for technical and custom build applications.

Links

https://www.reasonexperts.com/reason-re ... ammer.html
https://producerbundle.com/product/1001 ... es-refill/
https://producerbundle.com/product/1001 ... es-refill/

madmacman

01 May 2018

Geltic Höhn wrote:
01 May 2018
Do you need them all though ? I would suggest you think about that machine-gun approach, because you'll end up with a whole lot of stuff cluttering your menus that will never be used, and even if you delete them, each time you do a re-sync they'll all be right back in your computer.
While this is a valid point and I absolutely agree with you (the OP shouldn't clutter his rack browser because he thinks "more = better"), the self-restriction of downloading freeware RE's can only be a temporary workaround for the flawed RE management. I see Propellerheads' obligation to provide a decent RE manager which allows for disabling or removing items.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

01 May 2018

Geltic Höhn wrote:
01 May 2018

You know what the most used, and one of the most highly prized free RE's are in my projects ? It's this very simple spacer!

And this is one example of why you don't need EVERY free RE. There are about 5 different spacer plates in the store. You only need one, because they don't do anything but create space !
While it's true one doesn't need to grab every freebie just because it's free, your example is a bad one. Even in the world of spacer REs there's some difference, and crucially, Spacre isn't even free!

Only the TMA series was designed for substantial amount of notes so it's far more useful than Spacre. All the others really only offer one to three lines of text. Due to text entry limitations in the SDK, TMA is still a bit clunky, can't deny, but it's literally still the only device currently out there that can act as any sort of useful notepad, or Combinator instruction device, as well as a simple spacer.

Geltic Höhn

01 May 2018

Ok I stand corrected on Spacers. I think Peff gave me his Spacer, so I didn't realize it was a paid product. And as much as I love your instruments and FX, I don't use your spacer/notepad device, but I should do, it would help me right now for what I'm doing to have note intervals right on screen.

Speaking of Jiggery........... there was that little Glockenspeil that has a handful of nice timbres. That's free, isn't it ? I'm using one of the patches in a song at present, along with the harmonic synth

selig
RE Developer

01 May 2018

Geltic Höhn wrote:
01 May 2018

ReMark (also free) was specifically designed to be a rack labeler, not a wall of text or divider. With it’s color coding options it has a unique place in the “spacer” world IMO, and it’s the only way I use such devices myself.

In fact, it’s most remarkable in this regard! ;)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Ostermilk

01 May 2018

selig wrote:
01 May 2018

In fact, it’s most remarkable in this regard! ;)
I saw what you did there... :D

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

01 May 2018

Geltic Höhn wrote:
01 May 2018
Ok I stand corrected on Spacers. I think Peff gave me his Spacer, so I didn't realize it was a paid product. And as much as I love your instruments and FX, I don't use your spacer/notepad device, but I should do, it would help me right now for what I'm doing to have note intervals right on screen.

Speaking of Jiggery........... there was that little Glockenspeil that has a handful of nice timbres. That's free, isn't it ? I'm using one of the patches in a song at present, along with the harmonic synth
It's a lovely wee thing, but it was a Xmas present, sorry if you missed it ;) . It's currently €15.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

01 May 2018

selig wrote:
01 May 2018

ReMark (also free) was specifically designed to be a rack labeler, not a wall of text or divider. With it’s color coding options it has a unique place in the “spacer” world IMO, and it’s the only way I use such devices myself.
And that's the rub, I think as RE designers we often do create things we'd like to see ourselves to fulfill for our needs, and no two designers see things quite the same way ;) Neither of us really found a use for Spacre, but our needs turned out to be wildy different: so actually there are certainly three very different devices just in products that have no audio or CV! ;) (I'm sure there's a fourth spacer, can't recall who did that one!).

• Information