What is Propellerhead trying to say to us?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Namahs Amrak

20 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote:But ignoring the integration of their mobile OS apps would have been asinine. Most of the other DAW have companion apps that cross integrate; now Props do as well. :)
Whether we like it or not (I'm in the 'not' camp' and rarely use apps for anything at all on smart devices), many companies need to incorporate a level of integration with iOS and Android to appear relevant in a modern market. I was recently asked by a client to consult on some microphones for an event that was being recorded (audio and video), and one of the items I picked up was a RODE lapel mic. The recommended voice recorder is part of the marketing, and alleges a host of unique features. It's excellent brand placement for RODE, because while the end user may not recognize the branding on the hardware, he/she will be reminded every time they switch on the recorder specifically made for the lapel mic.

The reality is, that any voice recorder can be used. But by implying that theirs is great (and it does have some very good features) then the brand is always there, front and centre when the mic is being used. And in a refreshing bout of honesty, the RODE rep I was talking to actually said the new version is buggy on iPhone 6, and we spent 30 minutes discussing a 'hack' on how to install a previous version. Excellent service from the RODE guys, every time.
My Words are my ART

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

20 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote:Balance was cool, but ultimately not a product they could sustain.
Balance is a beautiful looking product, but unfortunately there were problems with compatibility; I've got one, never got it to work on two different AMD chipset laptops on its USB2 ports on either Win7 or Win8.

Even with those for whom it does work lack of MIDI out will be an issue for quite a few of those. So really it was only any good to Intel users who didn't ever need MIDI out. The sad truth is the Balance was out of date by the time R7 appeared.

It was a valiant attempt, such a great, tactile thing, but ultimately it was overpriced for the number of connections it provided (compared to the competition it was a good £100 too much) and it was unreliable in terms of driver and chipset support.

They should have licensed the clip-safe tech (perhaps they still could).

Flandersh

20 Jan 2015

The Tone Ranger wrote:  

What shift in focus is that? As far as the development of Reason goes, they have had a philosophy of having themed updates from at least Reason 2.5.
The shift in focus happened when Record and Reason was merged into one application, making Reason a DAW rather than letting it remain a virtual studio.

For people, like me, that bought into Reason on the ground that it was a virtual studio and not a DAW, the conversion of Reason, through the merging, to a DAW made it an application that had to compete against other DAWs to win my decision. Reason lost in this case for my part as other DAWs had better gui, workflow and possibilites for my use. So the only Reason still useful for me is the Reason which was a virtual studio.

My hope is that a future version of Reason may be sold as a virtual studio again (as a special version if necessary), without Record and all the DAW related features, but with traditional module updates, thought the shift and focus to Reason as a DAW gives me lesser and lesser hope for each released update.

Jamesville

20 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote:Balance was cool, but ultimately not a product they could sustain.
JiggeryPokery wrote:
Balance is a beautiful looking product, but unfortunately there were problems with compatibility; I've got one, never got it to work on two different AMD chipset laptops on its USB2 ports on either Win7 or Win8.

Even with those for whom it does work lack of MIDI out will be an issue for quite a few of those. So really it was only any good to Intel users who didn't ever need MIDI out. The sad truth is the Balance was out of date by the time R7 appeared.

It was a valiant attempt, such a great, tactile thing, but ultimately it was overpriced for the number of connections it provided (compared to the competition it was a good £100 too much) and it was unreliable in terms of driver and chipset support.

They should have licensed the clip-safe tech (perhaps they still could).
Yup, i had to change to a intel laptop & all my stuttering issues were gone (amd chipsets dont work with it).

Even better im running Reason 7.1 on a machine thats dual core and 3gb ram & it works perfectly and can load that most power heavy demo (just). I also have a midisport 4x4 doing the midi.

Last Alternative

20 Jan 2015

Let it be known (although imperfect) I thoroughly enjoy the Reason version I have and am officially done talking about it. Apologies to anyone I upset, offended, and annoyed in the last few months. It's been a roller-coaster of emotions and proving good points, as well as making myself look bad. I need to stop rotting on the forums and make my music because someone said something last night that really struck a chord and made me think. So thank you, one1byke. It's time I stop wasting away. I won't be here much for a while but when I come back I'll have new music to share :)
Attachments
harsh.jpg
harsh.jpg (62.96 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

The Tone Ranger

20 Jan 2015

The Tone Ranger wrote:  

What shift in focus is that? As far as the development of Reason goes, they have had a philosophy of having themed updates from at least Reason 2.5.
Flandersh wrote:
The shift in focus happened when Record and Reason was merged into one application, making Reason a DAW rather than letting it remain a virtual studio.

For people, like me, that bought into Reason on the ground that it was a virtual studio and not a DAW, the conversion of Reason, through the merging, to a DAW made it an application that had to compete against other DAWs to win my decision. Reason lost in this case for my part as other DAWs had better gui, workflow and possibilites for my use. So the only Reason still useful for me is the Reason which was a virtual studio.

My hope is that a future version of Reason may be sold as a virtual studio again (as a special version if necessary), without Record and all the DAW related features, but with traditional module updates, thought the shift and focus to Reason as a DAW gives me lesser and lesser hope for each released update.
I still see it as a virtual studio. They just upgraded the mixer to an SSL and added a multitrack recorder.

Namahs Amrak

20 Jan 2015

'Tone Ranger' is a great pun. Reminds me of an old Simon Posford album called The Lone Deranger
My Words are my ART

Faastwalker

20 Jan 2015

Last Alternative wrote:...that Reason is now some party kid's app to cut a record doing vocals over someone's cheesy Figure loop?! It's sick how the Props don't even try to reassure us long-timers. Nope. They just do away with all tradition instead.. And I'm not saying old-timers. There are plenty of young long-timers and I don't even consider 33 old. WTF are they going for? Really?! And what is up with this whole Reason phone game vibe?
That Take advert didn't do anything for me. But it was very well made & did a good job of showing what Take was all about, or at least one aspect of it. It's already grown with the features made possible with Discover. I like this integration of Apps with Reason. It makes sense & is something people wanted ..... well, those that have iOS devices & use these Apps! There are some interesting possibilities already with the 'Drop' feature & it's only going to grow.

The mobile platform is important. Propellerhead recognise this. But I don't think anyone should be worrying about Reason in the wake of Props iOS ventures. I see this is a separate entity that has now adopted some nice features for Reason integration which makes these Apps a lot more useful to many people. There are some interesting developments on the Android front which could finally offer (hopefully) the opportunity for the floodgates to open for audio Apps on the platform. A Propellerhead presence on Android just means more exposure for Reason, which is good news for everyone surely.

Social Exodus

20 Jan 2015

"What is Propellerhead trying to say to us?"

I believe they were saying sayonara....
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

phasys

21 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:. And all they communicate these days is marketing horseshit, don't even try to understand what the hell Ernst is carrying on about. I doubt their copywriter even knows.
I believe the correct word is "spin". :)

O1B

26 Jan 2015

Godspeed, Dude.  I Love You, Man.  And, I do Like your Music:  
Strong, bold, and Brash.  That's how I take my Java.

Be well out there.

Last Alternative wrote:Let it be known (although imperfect) I thoroughly enjoy the Reason version I have and am officially done talking about it. Apologies to anyone I upset, offended, and annoyed in the last few months. It's been a roller-coaster of emotions and proving good points, as well as making myself look bad. I need to stop rotting on the forums and make my music because someone said something last night that really struck a chord and made me think. So thank you, one1byke. It's time I stop wasting away. I won't be here much for a while but when I come back I'll have new music to share :)

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2015

Last Alternative wrote:SO THAT'S IT! Fuck it! I'll make some kitchen music like that video and play that shit it in the streets on a boombox old school like! I finally understand Ernst! Why that silly goose!
I asked this busker if I could handle his bucket drums for a few minutes while he took a break. Within a minute I had over $20 :oops:

KEVMOVE02

26 Jan 2015

One of the most exhilarating and creative environments is a studio setup that incorporates IOS music making apps with the Reason Platform. Purists will always look down their noses at IOS apps, but when companies like Moog, Waldorf, Native Instruments create production quality apps and companies like Akai and Novation create hybrid control surfaces that work across multiple platforms, they are creating a new paradigm that is rapidly growing, and soon to become the mainstream. Propellerhead, in trademark style, is creating apps that make the distance between musical ideas and musical creation the shortest line possible. Non-technical musicians find Propellerhead products refreshing. They don't want to be sound engineers. You start explaining VSTi and sequencers and plugins and their eyes quickly glaze over. Not the case when they first see Reason. As old school as it may be, the rack view is familiar territory. The upgrades to the browser is also familiar ground, because it looks like the browser in another familiar app - iTunes.  Long story short: we can be tour guides of Propellerhead products or we can be the crazy looking dude holding up the doomsday sign declaring that the world is at end. Decide. 

scrag

26 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that Propellerhead do, in fact, still listen to their customer's feature requests and act on them.
That's not a limb. It's a bough. :)

selig
RE Developer

26 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that Propellerhead do, in fact, still listen to their customer's feature requests and act on them.
scrag wrote:
That's not a limb. It's a bough. :)
Always good to know - and good to see you here Scrag, WELCOME!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

edx500

27 Jan 2015

Attachments
Favorite-Child-400x395.jpg
Favorite-Child-400x395.jpg (64.07 KiB) Viewed 2520 times

MDTerps2015

27 Jan 2015

I was looking at a site today and what i typed in to search was "Top ten DAWs in 2014-2015"?????? Had Reason ranked third behind Cubase Elements and Magix. Count Magix out as not a true DAW. Reason was ranked ahead of Pro Tools and Fruity Loops. I was actually looking for a rewire to run Reason through to get that clarity. For some reason i cant get that crisp sound. I have KRK monitors 6", Sony Headphones $200 dollars and Guitar Center, M audio Pro-fire 610 interface, Sterling Audio Mic, MPD 26, and M Audio Oxygen Midi Keyboard. I just cant get that sound. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Last Alternative

27 Jan 2015

redmanmasonji wrote:I was looking at a site today and what i typed in to search was "Top ten DAWs in 2014-2015"?????? Had Reason ranked third behind Cubase Elements and Magix. Count Magix out as not a true DAW. Reason was ranked ahead of Pro Tools and Fruity Loops. I was actually looking for a rewire to run Reason through to get that clarity. For some reason i cant get that crisp sound. I have KRK monitors 6", Sony Headphones $200 dollars and Guitar Center, M audio Pro-fire 610 interface, Sterling Audio Mic, MPD 26, and M Audio Oxygen Midi Keyboard. I just cant get that sound. 
It all comes down to the source material, how it all works together, arrangement, and how you eq it. If it's not crisp drop some mids and/or boost the highs. Not too much though.
I know that's common knowledge. Sorry if you already knew that.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Flandersh

28 Jan 2015

KEVMOVE02 wrote:One of the most exhilarating and creative environments is a studio setup that incorporates IOS music making apps with the Reason Platform. Purists will always look down their noses at IOS apps, but when companies like Moog, Waldorf, Native Instruments create production quality apps and companies like Akai and Novation create hybrid control surfaces that work across multiple platforms, they are creating a new paradigm that is rapidly growing, and soon to become the mainstream.

There is very little reason to believe that it soon will become mainstream, and I find it unlikely that it ever will become mainstream as I find it likely that the whole trend will culminate and collapse before that happen. As it is a solution to the increasing disintegration as a result of the technological development, it is nothing more than a solution to the problem itself has created, and we have a Promethean trend that never turn out mainstream, but is in a continous flux between creation and collapse.

Propellerhead, in trademark style, is creating apps that make the distance between musical ideas and musical creation the shortest line possible.

The shortest line possible is still with pen and paper.

Flandersh

28 Jan 2015

redmanmasonji wrote:Count Magix out as not a true DAW.
Why is not Magix a true DAW?

KEVMOVE02

28 Jan 2015

KEVMOVE02 wrote:One of the most exhilarating and creative environments is a studio setup that incorporates IOS music making apps with the Reason Platform. Purists will always look down their noses at IOS apps, but when companies like Moog, Waldorf, Native Instruments create production quality apps and companies like Akai and Novation create hybrid control surfaces that work across multiple platforms, they are creating a new paradigm that is rapidly growing, and soon to become the mainstream.
Flandersh wrote:

There is very little reason to believe that it soon will become mainstream, and I find it unlikely that it ever will become mainstream as I find it likely that the whole trend will culminate and collapse before that happen. As it is a solution to the increasing disintegration as a result of the technological development, it is nothing more than a solution to the problem itself has created, and we have a Promethean trend that never turn out mainstream, but is in a continous flux between creation and collapse.

Propellerhead, in trademark style, is creating apps that make the distance between musical ideas and musical creation the shortest line possible.
Flandersh wrote:

The shortest line possible is still with pen and paper.
Are you using the contents of these threads for a class you are taking without our consent? I ask only because you keep trying to apply some very academic theories outside of the context of this thread. Are you reading "Politics of the Earth" by John Dryzek? Are you pro or antipromethean? It's ironic that you keep referring to a pen and paper metaphor as you type on a computer connect to a global communications network. Is that air you are breathing, or is that the construct that allows you to cope?

EnochLight

28 Jan 2015

:shock:

Attachments
BAD_ASS.jpg
BAD_ASS.jpg (38.95 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

KEVMOVE02

28 Jan 2015

EnochLight wrote: :shock:

Yes it has. i think i am the idiot for allowing myself to go down this rabbit hole

• Information