Controlling ReDrum with Roland TR-8

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Ray_Lions

27 Apr 2018

Is there a way to use the pads on the Roland TR-8 to control the sequencer on the Redrum?
I'm looking to use the sounds in the ReDrum and program it on the fly using theTR-8 as a controller, without having to use my mouse.
Thanks,
Ray

botnotbot

29 Apr 2018

It should be possible. I've thought about doing this for the TR-8S.

You can get the Remote SDK documentation and examples by signing up as a developer with Properllerhead. You don't need a VAT/company to share your Remote work.

dioxide

29 Apr 2018

I put together a Remote map for the first gen TR8. You should be able to find it here if you do a search. On that unit, the sequencer buttons can't be MIDI mapped as they don't output any MIDI data.

stp2015

29 Apr 2018

Not possible currently b/C TR-08 buttons do not output midi. Best you can do is program patterns on tr08 and have the tr08 trigger the redrum.

dioxide

29 Apr 2018

For controlling Redrum I'd recommend an Arturia Spark or Spark LE. I have Remote codecs for these devices that I'm happy to share. They have 1-16 x0x style programming buttons that can be mapped to Redrum's step sequencer.

16BitBear

30 Apr 2018

dioxide wrote:
29 Apr 2018
For controlling Redrum I'd recommend an Arturia Spark or Spark LE. I have Remote codecs for these devices that I'm happy to share. They have 1-16 x0x style programming buttons that can be mapped to Redrum's step sequencer.
I have a Spark LE and would be very interested in getting one of those Remote codecs. Thanks. :)

dioxide

30 Apr 2018

DJBuddhaBear wrote:
30 Apr 2018
I have a Spark LE and would be very interested in getting one of those Remote codecs. Thanks. :)
Here you go. There are two sets of files here: Install both. It will show a yellow warning triangle but everything will work fine.

The advantage of this is that you can lock the sequencer to one device (Redrum for instance) and the instrument section to another (ABL3 or a Combinator for instance).

The mappings are fairly basic at the moment, but you can add your own.
Attachments
Spark LE Remote.zip
(37.59 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

16BitBear

30 Apr 2018

dioxide wrote:
30 Apr 2018
DJBuddhaBear wrote:
30 Apr 2018
Here you go. There are two sets of files here: Install both. It will show a yellow warning triangle but everything will work fine.

The advantage of this is that you can lock the sequencer to one device (Redrum for instance) and the instrument section to another (ABL3 or a Combinator for instance).

The mappings are fairly basic at the moment, but you can add your own.
Fantastic. I downloaded it, installed it, and it is working quite nicely. Yeah, they are very basic but that works for me right now. In the future, I might adjust some of mappings but as is, it is perfect. Thanks. :)

bitley

07 Mar 2019

Hi guys! Have any one of you thought out a way to do the opposite? I really like programming beats with ReDrum :)

friday

08 Nov 2020

Anyone tryed it with tr8s or does the buttons still not output midi data?

dioxide

08 Nov 2020

friday wrote:
08 Nov 2020
Anyone tryed it with tr8s or does the buttons still not output midi data?
I haven't got access to one. If there's a manual online it should tell you on the MIDI spec page. For my TR-8 I had to dig into the manual to see if it was something that you could switch on and off, so even if you had a TR-8S you'd still have to check the manual.

Re8et
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2020

stp2015 wrote:
29 Apr 2018
Not possible currently b/C TR-08 buttons do not output midi. Best you can do is program patterns on tr08 and have the tr08 trigger the redrum.
Strange, I've read the TR-6s Midi pdf and it seems that it ouput midi, and also assignable midi notes to each of the 6 channels. Might be only for the input side of things?

• Information