RX950 Reason Competition

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
Kategra

19 Apr 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
18 Apr 2018
Kategra wrote:
18 Apr 2018

Replace it with a synthesized EP. Only Subtractor, Malstrom or Thor.
Thanks a lot man! I programmed a quick EP in Thor and popped the RX on it....it's really interesting to hear the mix with and without all the devices! Even when I take it off the main mix buss it loses a lot of the great "old sampler" flavor.

I own a 950, along with a bunch of other samplers, and I think I'm going to rework this intro and create a full song with it using all of Reason's power. BTW: your track is great! awesome vibe, and I can hear the Akai sound all over it. Well Done!!!
The developer did a wonderful RE, I don;t know how close it is to the original, I never worked with a hardware sampler ever, closest thing was a cassette recorder :)))
Thanks for the kind words!
Regarding your submission, those piano notes are uplifting! Gives a mid 90's vibe to my head, like Seinfeld meets 2PAC , don't know why, it's just where my mind drifts :thumbs_up:

Good luck all of you! I think we are all winners, because we all learned something from making these tracks :D

Kategra

19 Apr 2018

CGarzia wrote:
17 Apr 2018
Thanks for the nice competition, that was fun!

Congrats Garcia! This track is sick sick!

CGarzia
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2018

Kategra wrote:
19 Apr 2018
CGarzia wrote:
17 Apr 2018
Thanks for the nice competition, that was fun!
Congrats Garcia! This track is sick sick!
Thanks! I liked your's as well. :puf_smile:

Plenty of cool tracks in this competition!

I have to say that it's not the first time I've noticed that working within strict limits boosts creativity. I guess having all the options in the world is sometimes just too overwhelming and reducing the amount of choice makes you focus more on what you're actually doing instead of trying to find that just perfect kick drum...

Tinnitus

20 Apr 2018

CGarzia wrote:
20 Apr 2018
Plenty of cool tracks in this competition!

I have to say that it's not the first time I've noticed that working within strict limits boosts creativity. I guess having all the options in the world is sometimes just too overwhelming and reducing the amount of choice makes you focus more on what you're actually doing instead of trying to find that just perfect kick drum...
Great entry. Definitely a really strong bouncy tune. And are 100% right about it focusing you on learning how use specific instruments.
It was a great opportunity for a Reason newbie like myself to delve into the NNXT.

jimmyklane

20 Apr 2018

Kategra wrote:
19 Apr 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
18 Apr 2018

Thanks a lot man! I programmed a quick EP in Thor and popped the RX on it....it's really interesting to hear the mix with and without all the devices! Even when I take it off the main mix buss it loses a lot of the great "old sampler" flavor.

I own a 950, along with a bunch of other samplers, and I think I'm going to rework this intro and create a full song with it using all of Reason's power. BTW: your track is great! awesome vibe, and I can hear the Akai sound all over it. Well Done!!!
The developer did a wonderful RE, I don;t know how close it is to the original, I never worked with a hardware sampler ever, closest thing was a cassette recorder :)))
Thanks for the kind words!
Regarding your submission, those piano notes are uplifting! Gives a mid 90's vibe to my head, like Seinfeld meets 2PAC , don't know why, it's just where my mind drifts :thumbs_up:

Good luck all of you! I think we are all winners, because we all learned something from making these tracks :D

I still own a cassette recorder! I modded it to record and play much faster than the normal 1 7/8” per second...I have no idea what the actual speed is, but a 60 minute tape gives me about 8 1/2 minutes of recording time total, and with the Varispeed maxed its closer to 7 1/2. Since the speed is so high it’s mostly used for phrases or as a medium in-between samplers .. I love using it with the new Grain and Klang instruments....playing with the Dolby NR, (recording on, playing off or vice versa) I get some tonal and dynamic changes that I’ve had a hard time reproducing any other way. The various distortions (the tape itself, the analog inputs since its not made for +4dB, the NR circuitry, etc) are really unique to the machine and make for a really cool “plug-out” to Reason and my setup in general
Last edited by jimmyklane on 21 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

campbejo
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
19 Apr 2018

All samples? That’s crazy man....I am so used to an almost exclusive hardware workflow (Reason is my sequencer and tape machine) that I had a hell of a time getting nice loop points in NN19 or NNXT, so I used one-shots mostly....goes to show how powerful Reason alone is in the right hands. Now that the contest is over I’m creating a new track with just the 40 provided samples, but this time it’s much simpler for me to loop everything because I have sophisticated options in hardware. I would love to see this thread (or another dedicated new thread) survive and showcase other songs created with those samples and the RX950....with no limitations other than that....no audio editing, no outside samples, etc. I know that I’ll post my own finished track here for opinions and hopefully to spur some cool collaborations as well
I find the sample editors looping and crossfade functions get the job done. It'll be interesting to hear differences in the result now that you can use hardware, I'll certainly take a listen when you post the track.

jimmyklane

21 Apr 2018

campbejo wrote:
21 Apr 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
19 Apr 2018

All samples? That’s crazy man....I am so used to an almost exclusive hardware workflow (Reason is my sequencer and tape machine) that I had a hell of a time getting nice loop points in NN19 or NNXT, so I used one-shots mostly....goes to show how powerful Reason alone is in the right hands. Now that the contest is over I’m creating a new track with just the 40 provided samples, but this time it’s much simpler for me to loop everything because I have sophisticated options in hardware. I would love to see this thread (or another dedicated new thread) survive and showcase other songs created with those samples and the RX950....with no limitations other than that....no audio editing, no outside samples, etc. I know that I’ll post my own finished track here for opinions and hopefully to spur some cool collaborations as well
I find the sample editors looping and crossfade functions get the job done. It'll be interesting to hear differences in the result now that you can use hardware, I'll certainly take a listen when you post the track.
You mean not in-device but the screen in the tools section? TBH I didn’t even THINK to use those! lol! I always record in audio and it’s already exactly as I need it with the processing pretty much completed and aux sends for individual tracks come in on separate channels. (I use a digital console for routing outside Reason) My tracks tend to have 40-50 external MIDI devices and 30-35 audio tracks(because of aux returns) with a sound or two being created in Reason (I LOVE Grain and Europa!!!) and the Master Bus mixed within reason instead of in my console....I use a combination of M-Class devices and VST plugins very conservatively because I’ve already created a mix that I don’t want to screw up with heavy compression, etc.

Here’s an example:

This is almost all samplers (the brass polysynth track in the bridge is 4x Moog Slim Phattys panned out a little) using monosynths as the source samples with just a single note sampled and is indicative of how I tend to work. All the effects are outboard rack units and all the instruments are sequenced live in Reason addressing 8 separate MIDI ports so that I’ve only got one or two daisy chains at the most. Not the greatest song in the world, but it’s for sure got “a sound” that I have a lot of trouble getting in Reason alone, even with VSTs like Decimort and Decapitator etc.

Sorry to get OT a bit, but we were talking about synths and samplers and how we sample so I thought I’d share

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

jimmyklane

22 Apr 2018

Have the winners already been chosen? If so, where can we hear the tracks? If not, how would we be notified if we win? PM, email? Interested in more details.

joeyluck

22 Apr 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
22 Apr 2018
Have the winners already been chosen? If so, where can we hear the tracks? If not, how would we be notified if we win? PM, email? Interested in more details.
Very soon! :puf_smile:

It will be announced here. And tracks showcased here as well.

jimmyklane

22 Apr 2018

joeyluck wrote:
22 Apr 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
22 Apr 2018
Very soon! :puf_smile:

It will be announced here. And tracks showcased here as well.
Awesome! Thank you! I look forward to hearing the tracks that win...we had an awful lot of really great music posted, and I’m sure there were other tracks I haven’t heard yet.

jimmyklane

23 Apr 2018

I’m so bummed out! I was writing a song and my demo of the RX950 just ran out this morning! I sincerely hope that I’m one of the 5 chosen winners, but even if I’m not this RE is 100% worth the (very low) cost of admission and I’ll be adding it to my toolbox.

If the developer is on here, I’d like to hear about how he got the CPU usage so low...a product like D16’s Decimort which also resamples and bit crushes in real-time is far more costly CPU-wise. I’ve been able to run an instance on every single track of very complicated songs at 128 samples/88.2kHz with almost no hit on the DSP Meter.

So, if you’re watching, awesome job at creating a very efficient and excellent sounding (from very subtle to severely extreme!) plugin and rack extension.

joeyluck

23 Apr 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
23 Apr 2018
I’m so bummed out! I was writing a song and my demo of the RX950 just ran out this morning! I sincerely hope that I’m one of the 5 chosen winners, but even if I’m not this RE is 100% worth the (very low) cost of admission and I’ll be adding it to my toolbox.

If the developer is on here, I’d like to hear about how he got the CPU usage so low...a product like D16’s Decimort which also resamples and bit crushes in real-time is far more costly CPU-wise. I’ve been able to run an instance on every single track of very complicated songs at 128 samples/88.2kHz with almost no hit on the DSP Meter.

So, if you’re watching, awesome job at creating a very efficient and excellent sounding (from very subtle to severely extreme!) plugin and rack extension.
Sorry for the wait. Not too much longer :)
Lots of great music and we're doing our best to give every entry a fair listen and consideration. We knew that we at least didn't have an intro price window that we had to beat and announce winners before it ended, but we haven't been taking our time and are still working to decide the winners very soon. I'm anxious to know the winners as well! :) We'll be contacting finalists sometime later today for their Reason files and the final assessments and judging won't take long after that.

jimmyklane

23 Apr 2018

joeyluck wrote:
23 Apr 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
23 Apr 2018

Sorry for the wait. Not too much longer :)
Lots of great music and we're doing our best to give every entry a fair listen and consideration. We knew that we at least didn't have an intro price window that we had to beat and announce winners before it ended, but we haven't been taking our time and are still working to decide the winners very soon. I'm anxious to know the winners as well! :) We'll be contacting finalists sometime later today for their Reason files and the final assessments and judging won't take long after that.
That’s awesome! Will be watching the forum excitedly to see what happens....I hope those that are contacted will be able to repost their tracks so we can give it a listen again. If it’s not allowed to state that you’ve been contacted then that’s cool too and we’ll all be excited to “meet” the proud new owners of the RX950!!!

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Apr 2018

joeyluck wrote:
23 Apr 2018
We'll be contacting finalists sometime later today for their Reason files and the final assessments and judging won't take long after that.
Cool. So should I just go prepare my project into a zip file just in case :puf_bigsmile: ;)

joeyluck

25 Apr 2018

Hey everybody!

Those of you who are finalists in the running have been sent PMs with instructions where to send your Reason files. Check your inboxes ;)

Good luck!

jimmyklane

26 Apr 2018

How many finalists were chosen, if that’s something we can know about?

joeyluck

26 Apr 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
26 Apr 2018
So to explain a little... we used a Eurovision-style voting system and each judge made ten picks
12 points to #1
10 points to #2
8 points to #3
7 points to #4
and so on... down to 1 point for #10

We reached out to each artist who received two or more votes from the judges to verify their Reason files. We considered these folks finalists, in the event that one of the chosen top five didn't adhere to the rules, the rest would be bumped up in place and had a chance. In this case, all five of the winning tracks did adhere to the rules :thumbs_up:

Congrats again to everyone! They all are really great songs!
Such a fun competition with great results :)

jimmyklane

26 Apr 2018

joeyluck wrote:
26 Apr 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
26 Apr 2018
So to explain a little... we used a Eurovision-style voting system and each judge made ten picks
12 points to #1
10 points to #2
8 points to #3
7 points to #4
and so on... down to 1 point for #10

We reached out to each artist who received two or more votes from the judges to verify their Reason files. We considered these folks finalists, in the event that one of the chosen top five didn't adhere to the rules, the rest would be bumped up in place and had a chance. In this case, all five of the winning tracks did adhere to the rules :thumbs_up:

Congrats again to everyone! They all are really great songs!
Such a fun competition with great results :)
I was super pleased to simply win an “honorable mention” by being asked to provide the Reason file! I’m so happy for the winners, but in truth I’m going to buy the RE anyway ;-)

Karim
Competition Winner

30 Apr 2018

So proud to be chosen as one of the finalist. Many many thanks to coder and who everybody involved in this RE.
Cheers[emoji16][emoji6]

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

• Information