Synapse GQ-7 Equalizer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
O1B

24 Apr 2018

Density has no technical meaning... strange statement... even 'in terms of audio quality'
Density is 'Weight per unit volume'... thats plenty technical to me.

To say something sounds 'thin' doesn't seem too far fetch'd.

How does density translate....? well, some of us have more operable lateral lines....

selig wrote:
24 Apr 2018
deepndark wrote:
24 Apr 2018

Smooth sound propably requires lots of density in the frquency range next to eachothers?
Why do you think DSP is there for everything, except for the frequency tools?
Not sure how to answer.

When speaking of audio quality, the terms "Smoothness" and "Density" have absolutely no technical meaning.

What exactly is "smooth sound"? What does low vs high density sound like?

What do you mean about DSP and "frequency tools"?

Runner2x

24 Apr 2018

selig wrote:
24 Apr 2018

In this case, you won't be able to exactly match the shelf EQs because they use different underlying filters.
I never was a fan of the MClass shelving but this is some good info. Thanks!

deepndark

24 Apr 2018

I can't oftelly finalize my tunes with M-Class High-Shelf, ONLY! When I add GQ-7 and boost it kinda smoothens the whole mix a bit softer, when compared to M-class EQ. It's weird how some people come here to envy that it can't be so.

jimmyklane

24 Apr 2018

deepndark wrote:
24 Apr 2018
M-Class and Synapse EQs sound totally different when boosting highs. There are differences in some EQ's.
While I’m not familiar with this specific plugin, I’ve noticed that ALL purely digital implementations that work with an FIR/IIR set of filters have a similar sound, now if something like PSpice/MatLab was used to go for a simplified “hardware emulation” then things can get more interesting, but to get the best out of those you really need to be running at 88.2kHz so as to not run into the “brick wall” of your D/A....this is why I have collected so many analog equalizers over the years. I EQ on the way in and get my phase-smearing at the source! :-)

Something like a 6dB wide Q 22kHz boost sounds WAY different on the way in than it does EQ’ed in Reason. The “air” around the sound isn’t pinched off and harsh but instead feels like the sound floats on top of the mix.

Anyone that’s read my posts has probably guessed that Reason is the centerpiece of a hardware setup... so perhaps I’m not the guy to pontificate about a new EQ plugin.

Big fan of the EQ in the Plugin Alliance ConsoleN VST
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

deepndark

24 Apr 2018

Even a basic logic is that we would not really like to appreciate that Props invented REs and allowed someone to sell us another M-class.

skie

24 Apr 2018

I don't do any EQ on the master any more I fix it in the mix. I do however use the GQ-7 for a high cut and low cut (many different slope options if you're in to that) before the Limiter. Which it's really nice on.

antic604

25 Apr 2018

deepndark wrote:
24 Apr 2018
Even a basic logic is that we would not really like to appreciate that Props invented REs and allowed someone to sell us another M-class.
WTF does that even mean? :o

Rason

25 Apr 2018

He means that Props use hidden magic on their products so that nobody else is able to emulate. EQ as a 'frequency tool' doesnt use any Digital SOUND Processing and that means that some of them sound smooth due to density of.. overtones? I dont know. I just remember this guy being really vulgar on Selig year ago for sayin something about headroom and not using limiters all over the place.

Odesláno z mého D5503 pomocí Tapatalk

antic604

25 Apr 2018

Rason wrote:
25 Apr 2018
He means that Props use hidden magic on their products so that nobody else is able to emulate. EQ as a 'frequency tool' doesnt use any Digital SOUND Processing and that means that some of them sound smooth due to density of.. overtones? I dont know.
Well that's just stupid. Usually native devices in DAWs use less DSP not because of magic powers, but because a) they're more closely integrated, b) because they're simpler, with lesser quality filters, lower oversampling, etc. Also, I imagine no DAW developer wants to undercut the VST business, because they both sit on the same perch - you need DAW to run VSTs, you need VSTs to replace native devices for more quality processing.
Rason wrote:
25 Apr 2018
I just remember this guy being really vulgar on Selig year ago for sayin something about headroom and not using limiters all over the place.
Not surprised, having read just few of his comments here... But hey, the guy "got a record deal because of Reason" and can do a frequency splitter of which there are many - and some free - in RE shop, so he's a big shot apparently :)

deepndark

25 Apr 2018

Rason wrote:
25 Apr 2018
He means that Props use hidden magic on their products so that nobody else is able to emulate.
Not in 100% accurately anyway. (That easilie).

Rason wrote:
25 Apr 2018
EQ as a 'frequency tool' doesnt use any Digital SOUND Processing and that means that some of them sound smooth due to density of.. overtones? I dont know.
You don't know but still argue about it?
Rason wrote:
25 Apr 2018
I just remember this guy being really vulgar on Selig year ago for sayin something about headroom and not using limiters all over the place.
I am an audio-enthusiast and don't feel like I started out yesterday. If you think the limiters can't be used like I do, you just should give it a try, as most professional audio.gurus tend to break rules, if it makes something sounding better. LEARN!

deepndark

25 Apr 2018

antic604 wrote:
25 Apr 2018
Not surprised, having read just few of his comments here... But hey, the guy "got a record deal because of Reason" and can do a frequency splitter of which there are many - and some free - in RE shop, so he's a big shot apparently :)
Go n read also my "about" over my website: and see how much of me has been put into Reason alreaddy, thank you!

antic604

25 Apr 2018

deepndark wrote:
25 Apr 2018
Go n read also my "about" over my website: and see how much of me has been put into Reason alreaddy, thank you!
You mean this?
Heikki is using Propellerhead Reason to make his music and is a brain behind lots of the features added into this software, like: search/favorites, reduce cable clutter and multiple racks and more

O1B

25 Apr 2018

I have collected so many analog equalizers over the years. I EQ on the way in and get my phase-smearing at the source! :-)

"Something like a 6dB wide Q 22kHz boost sounds WAY different..."
"The “air” around the sound isn’t pinched off and harsh..."
"... feels like the sound floats on top of the mix."

jimmyklane wrote:
24 Apr 2018

While I’m not familiar with this specific plugin, I’ve noticed that ALL purely digital implementations that work with an FIR/IIR set of filters have a similar sound, now if something like PSpice/MatLab was used to go for a simplified “hardware emulation” then things can get more interesting, but to get the best out of those you really need to be running at 88.2kHz so as to not run into the “brick wall” of your D/A....this is why I have collected so many analog equalizers over the years. I EQ on the way in and get my phase-smearing at the source! :-)

Something like a 6dB wide Q 22kHz boost sounds WAY different on the way in than it does EQ’ed in Reason. The “air” around the sound isn’t pinched off and harsh but instead feels like the sound floats on top of the mix.

Anyone that’s read my posts has probably guessed that Reason is the centerpiece of a hardware setup... so perhaps I’m not the guy to pontificate about a new EQ plugin.

deepndark

25 Apr 2018

Yup, I already pointed out the feature suggestion threads over PUF but can't anymore as they closed their forums. If some of my latest ones will also be added, I know when to dig out the threads on here. ;)

O1B

25 Apr 2018

All that... and hit songs!
antic604 wrote:
25 Apr 2018
deepndark wrote:
25 Apr 2018
Go n read also my
Heikki is using Propellerhead Reason to make his music and is a brain behind lots of the features added into this software, like: search/favorites, reduce cable clutter and multiple racks and more..

deepndark

25 Apr 2018

I knew you'd be like that ... somehow... wow... great guys!

Voyager

25 Apr 2018

deepndark

25 Apr 2018

An Ego of people never win the TRUTH, the Nuff said.

antic604

25 Apr 2018

deepndark wrote:
25 Apr 2018
It requires a real man to own up to his own flaws. Bravo! :thumbs_up:

deepndark

25 Apr 2018

antic604 wrote:
25 Apr 2018
deepndark wrote:
25 Apr 2018
Some things ain't flaws though, I have seen lots of di*ks in this thread, who never would go back in to their closets. How would you know the secrets of Synapse in the first place some of you?

antic604

25 Apr 2018

deepndark wrote:
25 Apr 2018
antic604 wrote:
25 Apr 2018

Some things ain't flaws though, I have seen lots of di*ks in this thread, who never would go back in to their closets. How would you know the secrets of Synapse in the first place some of you?
Gosh, did the sarcasm of my comment just flew right over your head?! :?

Let me rephrase - the only person displaying inflated ego in this thread is yourself. And you not seeing it makes it even more hilarious :lol:

selig
RE Developer

25 Apr 2018

O1B wrote:Density has no technical meaning... strange statement... even 'in terms of audio quality'
Density is 'Weight per unit volume'... thats plenty technical to me.

To say something sounds 'thin' doesn't seem too far fetch'd.

How does density translate....? well, some of us have more operable lateral lines....

selig wrote:
24 Apr 2018

Not sure how to answer.

When speaking of audio quality, the terms "Smoothness" and "Density" have absolutely no technical meaning.

What exactly is "smooth sound"? What does low vs high density sound like?

What do you mean about DSP and "frequency tools"?
I can only respond by clarifying my point that there are subjective terms, and there are with technical terms. Sample rate is a technical term that has a range of values that are agreed upon. “Density”, “Thin”, etc. are subjective terms with no range of values, but non-the-less useful for communicating feelings.

That’s all I’m saying - I wasn’t clear on the subjective vs objective part with my initial statement.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

jimmyklane

25 Apr 2018

O1B wrote:
25 Apr 2018
I have collected so many analog equalizers over the years. I EQ on the way in and get my phase-smearing at the source! :-)

"Something like a 6dB wide Q 22kHz boost sounds WAY different..."
"The “air” around the sound isn’t pinched off and harsh..."
"... feels like the sound floats on top of the mix."

jimmyklane wrote:
24 Apr 2018

I don’t get it....you placed a picture of Denzel Washington in the middle of my post and then highlighted some parts in red. Was this meant to convey information or were you just trying to be funny? If the latter, I believe the joke is lost on me.
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Apr 2018

I really like GQ-7. It's got everything I need to be my go-to EQ. The high and low shelf on the Mclass EQ sounds like crap compared to the way GQ-7 handles it. Mclass creates these horrible dips before the boost and it sounds like s***, so harsh sounding. Also you cannot set the Q band setting as wide. Also it looks really dull and has no spectrum display.

With some additional work and effort I can make GQ-7 sound as bad as Mclass but I can't make Mclass sound as good as GQ-7.

Personally I see no reason what so ever to use Mclass if you already own GQ-7 , well maybe for DSP reasons, but honestly GQ-7 is very light on the DSP as well so it's never been a problem.

sublunar

25 Apr 2018

Runner2x wrote:
24 Apr 2018
sublunar wrote:
24 Apr 2018
I use it if I ever need surgical EQ, but I rarely need surgical EQ. Or really much of any EQ.
I wonder how that is possible and this kind of makes me feel pathetic considering how much of a fanatic I am becoming. I picked up a few Brainworx EQ's this month and I'm having a blast!
IDK, I used to put EQ on everything chasing the perfect tone. I used to use a 31 band rack EQ on my guitar, for example. But then I got better gear and achieved the tone I wanted without needing all the band-aids. I've scaled back the gear quite a bit these days and ceased throwing extraneous fx on everything by default and I sound better.

I play mostly physical instruments and have good mics with a good analog mixer. These days, I either don't use any EQ (well ok my amps are dialed in) or I use it to turn down the muddy frequencies in the mix. Granted I'm not currently in the final stages of making a record, still finishing up the writing process, but in general I try to avoid using any EQ until later stages where I've already recorded the take at the best possible settings and still feel like it needs to be tweaked to fit in the mix better. Currently, the McDSP EQ's are my go to for subtle tweaks. GQ7 for surgical needs. But both sparingly. Been hoping Selig's coloring EQ goes on sale for may madness because I don't need another EQ but kinda want to play with that one.

• Information